Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perhaps this game requires too much grind after all

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    This thread reminds me of Gears of War. GRIND dadadadadadadadadadada.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    The more realistic of us knew this game would fall into obscurity within a month or two and it hasn't disappointed. Even if all the Op said was false 1-80 still feels like a giant grind anyways.

GW2 fell into obscurity?

And I just thought this section is still the most visited game forum of this forum.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

You want to know true grind you will need to get into a time machine and go back to 2006 and play Knight Online when they cut EXP in half after you hit lvl 62.

Yeah try gettign from 62-80 back then in less than a year.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Wow, seriously the OP is dragging this out! Didn't he just start another thread like this 2 days ago?
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    The more realistic of us knew this game would fall into obscurity within a month or two and it hasn't disappointed. Even if all the Op said was false 1-80 still feels like a giant grind anyways.

GW2 fell into obscurity?

And I just thought this section is still the most visited game forum of this forum.

I'm sure that has nothing to do with how terrible the GW2 forums are on their own site. Most people discuss game specific stuff on the games primary forums, otherwise WoW is an unpopular game according to MMORPG.com forums. Added note, almost every serious pvp player has abandoned GW2 as well. Dead on the streams, few new players coming in, no endgame, etc etc.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

GW2 fell into obscurity?

I'm sure that has nothing to do with how terrible the GW2 forums are on their own site. Most people discuss game specific stuff on the games primary forums, otherwise WoW is an unpopular game according to MMORPG.com forums. Added note, almost every serious pvp player has abandoned GW2 as well. Dead on the streams, few new players coming in, no endgame, etc etc.

Hmm hmm.

3 million box sales.

Increase in population the last few months.

Players everywhere.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

New exciting patch.

MMORPGs were always about esports - oh no, they werent.

Lots of endgame.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• ESSKAESSKA Member UncommonPosts: 107
    More misinformation please i don't think there is enough in this section of mmorpg forums! The mods dont seem to care but anyways. Karma and gold is so stupidly easy to get in this game its ridiculous. Like others have said its all optional. Even the ascended jewelry is ulness you want to actually do really high level fractals. And they are adding more ways to obtain them. Its always the same people bitching about this game and some of you already stoped playing. Give it a rest already damn.
  • IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    I agree, the grind in this one is strong. You have to grind in order to stay competitive. Everyone who says otherwise doesn't care about their team.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

First: It's not grind if you're having fun.  

Second: Colin Johansen said that GW2 wasn't built around a "boring grind" to access certain content.  

No grind to get gear for PvP.  No grind to do dungeons.  No grind to access areas of the world.  No grind to be able to complete personal stories or renown hearts.  The ONLY "grind" is for players that choose to go after rare items that SHOULD take time to achieve.  Plus, it's not really a grind since these items can be obtained by just playing the game.

ArenaNet has done exactly what they said they were going to do.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by IPolygon
    I agree, the grind in this one is strong. You have to grind in order to stay competitive. Everyone who says otherwise doesn't care about their team.

My mesmer is decked out in full exotics with ascended rings. It didn't take long at all, and I recently decked out my necro in full exotics that I crafted through tailoring and jewelcrafting. How do I need to grind to stay competitve again?

Oderint, dum metuant.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by Volkon

My mesmer is decked out in full exotics with ascended rings. It didn't take long at all, and I recently decked out my necro in full exotics that I crafted through tailoring and jewelcrafting. How do I need to grind to stay competitve again?

Most of the accusations are by people who are just bored or burnt out.  In either case, they just need to take a break, play some other MMO's.  When they come back they'll appreciate what GW2 brings to the table more.  I did just what I described and it worked for me.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

well the game offer grind, to be good with top stats you dont need grind ...

why you mess this ???

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

First: It's not grind if you're having fun.  Second: Colin Johansen said that GW2 wasn't built around a "boring grind" to access certain content.  No grind to get gear for PvP.  No grind to do dungeons.  No grind to access areas of the world.  No grind to be able to complete personal stories or renown hearts.  The ONLY "grind" is for players that choose to go after rare items that SHOULD take time to achieve.  Plus, it's not really a grind since these items can be obtained by just playing the game.ArenaNet has done exactly what they said they were going to do.

Grind is doing the same thing over and over again so it degrades into routine. If you have fun with routine then it is fine. I am not arguing about fun. I am arguing about game mechanics and GW2 is filled with grind to get the gear you want.

Mind if I ask you how long it took and how much gold you invested in your equipment?

The only good way to get best-in-slot gear is to grind, not by completing content. GW1 had it right.
  • shadyjamesshadyjames Member Posts: 34
    nope sorry, that's wrong. You can get to level 80 saving your karma along the way and be in full exotic armor when you get to the first temple you find in orr. I would however suggest you do some research about the various stat difference at the different temples. I've played WOW for 5 years, and that was grinding. I see no such grind in gw2 unless you are trying to get legendary.
  • eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

First: It's not grind if you're having fun.  

Second: Colin Johansen said that GW2 wasn't built around a "boring grind" to access certain content.  

No grind to get gear for PvP.  No grind to do dungeons.  No grind to access areas of the world.  No grind to be able to complete personal stories or renown hearts.  The ONLY "grind" is for players that choose to go after rare items that SHOULD take time to achieve.  Plus, it's not really a grind since these items can be obtained by just playing the game.

ArenaNet has done exactly what they said they were going to do.

Grind is doing the same thing over and over again so it degrades into routine. If you have fun with routine then it is fine. I am not arguing about fun. I am arguing about game mechanics and GW2 is filled with grind to get the gear you want.

Mind if I ask you how long it took and how much gold you invested in your equipment?

The only good way to get best-in-slot gear is to grind, not by completing content. GW1 had it right.

Granted I have been playing the game since day 1, but I will explain, by the time I was 45 I had 3 gold and some change it was not because of me grinding, simply that I was playing the TP as I was leveling. By the time I hit 80 I had 165K karma (which I should have saved and used my gold instead of buying gear with it) I used some karma and used soem gold to gear up at that time it cost 15 G if you wanted a full set + acc's.

Now however the game has changed. I can gear up my char at 80 if I had to depend of the gold I make along the way and only that you should have all of your armor and lets say about 4 hours in cursed shore you should be able to pull any where from 2 g to 7 g per hour depending of how your luck is, that will get you your accessories. and you are done!

You can call it a grind all you want but the fact is gearing up is too easy, expecially in NA FoTM is constant within 4 days a guildie shot to level 36 fractals and usually after level 20 he makes 10-30G per day does FoTM usually 5 hours days most of the time only 2 hours. I know you may call this a grind because its doing it over and over but look at the time spent to make money a few days? for what you say? to have fun =) go WvW supply everyone with siege no matter guild mate or not just to have a blast. 

• RaggnarokhRaggnarokh Member UncommonPosts: 14

250 ectos for almost everything.

Do you want a ascened necklace? 20 days + monthy reward... I spent a month in WoW doing Fireland`s daily quests in order to get the max rep rating... ill spend a month just to get one item in GW2.

In both cases you have to grind, hopefully in wow you only have to do it once.

Im not a wow fanboy or anything but i think the comparison could be interesing. I Love this game but the drops, the rewards and the fu*****ing Mystic Forge is killing me, seriously.

BTW, Dont you hate when you have your build to help your party and every other player goes full magic find?

Nice day ppl

• senti02senti02 Member UncommonPosts: 96

i never had over 15g on this game but my two character have full exotic of my choice/build..and those gold i got is from leveling 1-80

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Of course not, thanks for asking.

One thing I've done, and mainly due to a gold shortage (I spend a lot of time in WvW, buy siege equipment, etc. so I'm never rich), is pretty much avoid buying any gear with gold. However, I gather constantly and have key crafting skills up to 400... in the case of the mesmer and necro, tailoring and jewelcrafting (on my ranger). The mesmer was traditionally leveled in the open world pre-WvW addiction, so most of his gear is karma gear from the Orrian vendors. The necro was leveled mostly in WvW, which is why his gear is crafted instead. I've run plenty of Fractals on my mesmer (hey, they're fun!) hence his ascended rings... haven't on the necro yet but will likely get there at some point, plus the laurels system will provide ascended in time as well. Fortunately you don't need ascended gear in WvW to be as competitive as someone who has it... you simply need to be adept at your profession.

So... gold investment would be marginal... mainly buying salvage kits and harvesting equipment over time, but I have bought a few materials that I needed to get over a hump in crafting. Can't put a number on it, but it's always been with available gold on a not-rich account.

Regarding the "only good way" comment... I disagree. The only good way to get "best in slot" gear in GW2 is however you choose to get it. Be it crafting, karma, drops, the Trading Post, dungeons... whichever you prefer is the "good way".

Oderint, dum metuant.

• uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128

Maxed one char, only went into two dungeons because the risk vs reward was completely jacked ( nothing like an hour of running a dungeon to walk out with little to nothing of value ).  Suppose it's a good game for serial raiders, beyond that, once you hit end game there is little to no replayability or reason to log in.  

PvP is just a game of letting the other side control so you can take back control and grind points... maybe if they added open world PvP i'd give it another try.

Meh.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by bloodaxes

I understand a little the concerns on the armour of the dude quoted in the OP.

Sadly the exotics value sky rocketed to outer space in price since launch time by a lot. When I played at launch exotics didn't cost more than 3g each and was reasonable as sometimes you even got them trough dungeon drops but now oh god what happened in so few months? pieces costing 6g + weapons costing 9g + each and I don't know if loot drops have been changed but on the 2nd character I got to 80 I did 3 dungeon runs on explorer mode and using an item to boost magic find by 60-70% I got 1 exotic..... 1!!!!!

In no game even wow I ever liked having to grind for gold for countless hours because you can't afford what's available in auction (And it seems exotic drops is out of the question) and never will.

So in my opinion, yes the game is turning grindier by time sadly.

Except that gold is only one way to obtain the gear. Dungeons and karma give you gear very quickly. In fact with the new jewellery available for karma, you are wasting your gold on crafted stuff unless you want the appearance.

Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by evilastro

I strongly disagree. If you had said this last week, then yes, you may have been right, because you would have to grind gold to buy jewellery. However with this weeks patch, you can now get fully exotic geared with karma alone (you can now purchase back and jewellery with karma from Orr).

240k is nothing, you get at least 10k per day for the dailies (plus whatever you get from doing the DEs while you do it) and 100k for the monthly achievements. By the time you finish leveling a character you should have more than enough karma to purchase a full set of exotic. Putting you at pretty much max power.

The ascended is a bit of a grind, but thats the whole point - to give a longer term goal. But you are talking about a 1% increase in quality.

Where are these exotics purchased?

The temples in Orr all have them now, with stats akin to the armor of that temple.

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by fundayz
    Originally posted by NomadMorlock

I was really enjoying the game until I was decked out in all Exotics.  I know there are Ascended pieces, but I'm not in a rush nor do I plan on grinding a legendary weapon. 

I realize now I miss the gear progression..and character progression past this point.  As I can't easliy acquire better gear..i really don't feel like I have something to work toward.

A little bored now with it.

That's why Ascended gear was added. You already feel de-motivated by the grind to Ascended gear, imagine how you would feel if you only had Legendaries to go after now?

In addition, that's why Anet is adding systems like the Laurels, in order to facilitate that grind or at the least lower the entry barrier.

Laurels does help a lot imho.. next step and something i REALLY hope goes in is some sort of skill progression... if it were me i'd revamp the elite skill system and make elites obtainable by very hard encounters throughout the world.. then add new weapon skills all that you would unlock in a similar way and once unlocked you could mix and match that unlocked skill with your current weapon skill set like how the utility skills work... thinks this would be a huge boost for people who feel they don't have enough skill progression in the game... or enough variety in weapon skills

I agree, although realistically that won't happen until the expansion I think. At the moment they are just focused on polishing the core game and balancing the classes as is.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Guild Wars games have no grind. I'm not sure what kind of game ArenaNet made to be honest. It seems just like another typical theme park gear grind that we already have out there.  Though I will say that anyone who does not have a decent amount of time to put into mmos then they probably shouldn't be playing mmos in the first place. Some people just have too many life priorities to be able to put the time in. You can't always have your cake and eat it too.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

My level 80 Ranger is in full Order of Whisper armor, which is 9 gold. I got that just from selling materials on BL and selling all others to merchants. It wasn't hard and I didn't grind anything to get the gold. I sold all Master and above items on the BL that I couldn't use.

Here she is in all her glory.

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    Guild Wars games have no grind. I'm not sure what kind of game ArenaNet made to be honest. It seems just like another typical theme park gear grind that we already have out there.  Though I will say that anyone who does not have a decent amount of time to put into mmos then they probably shouldn't be playing mmos in the first place. Some people just have too many life priorities to be able to put the time in. You can't always have your cake and eat it too.

Guild Wars had grind it didn't have progression, that is, there was armor grind but the stats didn't increase over what you could get with very little effort. ANet changed this with Guild Wars 2 first by adding legendaries that had slight increases over there counter parts and then acsended gear changed it even more.