Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo clone

Comments

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by Crunchy222
    Originally posted by aleos

i dont see any double standard. i see a game filling a space that was left empty.

all anyone ever wanted was Diablo 2 in HD, at least thats all i wanted.. not a carebear overhaul to appease a greater audiance. So unlike this new diablo. Path of Exile actually allows me to allocate skill points. it doesnt do it for me. And the ability to use ANY power i flippin want by meeting basic requirements and an open slot on my weapons or armor that i can remove and replace at any time with no charge or hassel. sign me up.

have you even seen that skill tree? its glorious..

Did i mention its free.

More people play D3 than POE.

Some people care more about entertaining combat mechanics than graphical looks, in fact i would argue more do.

Your trading entertaining combat for graphics with POE...oh and its not blizzard, some people thats the largest factor in them enjoying a game apparently.

But yes, the game is kind of a D2 ripoff...however you really can make the argument that a 12 year old game has better combat.  Also itemization was far better in D2.  If D3 hadnt pissed off a minority of the D2 crowd POE wouldnt even be on the radar.  The fans are grossly inflating the games greatness.

Before long, more people will be playing Path of Exile. If you don't think so, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I would suggest that you stay in the water-down game that is D3. Afterall, you sound like another disgruntled Blizzard fan that can never stand it when any game does something better or has more merit than Blizzard games these days. (They did it to themselves with their greed. I don't feel sorry or bad for them. It will happen to any company that follows that same path).

Here's to the companies that are passionate about games and about those that play them. :) Let's hope that this is a new marker for how companies become. (possibly wishful thinking, it does not hurt nonetheless).

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Shodanas
    Can you please elaborate on how PoE "...blatantly ripped off dablo."? The UI? Because the health / mana orbs are located left and right? And sure, character selection and the inventory panel define wether a game is good or bad. Are you for real? Why don't you tell us about the things who actually matter like the skill sysytem. Or the excellent active / support gem system which provides ground for tons of experimentation. Or the innovative barter system in place of the old currency one.Remove your fanboy glasses and then you'll see that the F2P PoE puts the 60 euro DIII to shame.

the inventory pannel looks exactly the same, character selection looks exactly the same, the combat? so far its exactly the same.

fanboy glasses you say? umm i hate to break it you ya but i haven't played D3 in months and will not play it ever again until it has pvp and even then i may not.

its more likely that i will be playing this game actually lol

maybe you should take your "fanboy glasses" off and realize that this game is in fact a direct rip off from diablo.

like i said originally, i don't think its a bad game as i have not played it enough to make a judgment like that.

but just from playing it 10 minutes i can see that they haven't just made a game similar to diablo, they directly ripped it off.

which is not necessarily a bad thing but it damn sure isn't an indie game company being creative, which is why so many of you claim to like indie games.

it is indeed a double standard.

Originally posted by Razperil
    Originally posted by baphamet not saying this is a bad game but why is it that if a game is labeled a "wow clone" its automatically hated on but this game being a diablo clone gets praise? not only is this game a diablo clone, some of it is a direct rip off. from character selection to the inventory panel to the UI (and this is just from playing the game for 10 minutes, there is probably much more) its actually pretty funny how blatantly they ripped off diablo. whatever happened to these indie companies being more creative? isn't that why so many of you support them? or is it just because you hate the big companies like blizzard that make tons of money? i am not trying to post flame bait, but the double standard just seems odd to me.    
    Sounds like to me that you're disgruntled that Borecraft and D3 continue to have bad marks while a new game like Path of Exile has merit. There's a big difference when a company makes a game that people truly want and not just rehash the same game over and over again. (Like that company you mentioned). They have an amazing setup and the game designers are more passionate about what they create. It's an art that was lost long ago but has been found again by a company willing to make a game worthy of contending with one of the best in so many people's eyes. I'd say that says quite a bit. :)

and you are definitely wrong as i don't play either of those games and probably never will again.

just pointing out the double standard, you don't have to like it. :)

• Carl132pCarl132p Member UncommonPosts: 538
    Originally posted by baphamet

not saying this is a bad game but why is it that if a game is labeled a "wow clone" its automatically hated on but this game being a diablo clone gets praise?

not only is this game a diablo clone, some of it is a direct rip off.

from character selection to the inventory panel to the UI (and this is just from playing the game for 10 minutes, there is probably much more)

its actually pretty funny how blatantly they ripped off diablo.

whatever happened to these indie companies being more creative? isn't that why so many of you support them? or is it just because you hate the big companies like blizzard that make tons of money?

i am not trying to post flame bait, but the double standard just seems odd to me.

Wow is viewed as a step back in the progression of quality mmos   diablo 1 and 2 are both at the top of the list for action dungeon crawlers. That is the simple difference. We WANT more diablo 2 we dont want more WoW. There is no argument here to be had. Couldn't be any more simple or obvious for you.

• iamthekilleriamthekiller Member Posts: 93

not saying this is a bad game but why is it that if a game is labeled a "wow clone" its automatically hated on but this game being a diablo clone gets praise?

from character selection to the inventory panel to the UI (and this is just from playing the game for 10 minutes, there is probably much more)

whatever happened to these indie companies being more creative? isn't that why so many of you support them? or is it just because you hate the big companies like blizzard that make tons of money?

i am not trying to post flame bait, but the double standard just seems odd to me.

What about the totally different passive skill and gem skill system? I mean im not gonna argue that it's not a ripoff...it is. MY personal issue with most wow clones is that they are inferior to the original...in POE's case barring the amount of content, it is at least as good if not superior to d2. I don't hate blizzard because they make tons of money, I hate them because they make bad games now.

Originally posted by Zooce
    PoE is a Diablo clone- if that is news to you, I'm not sure what to say.  The important concept is that it is a Diablo 1/2 clone and not a Diablo 3 clone.  Understand that, and I think you will eventually see the acusation as a complement for GGG. Diablo 3 might've failed the genre on many fronts, but they definitely improved the public party with personal loot.  PoE stuck to the old FFA loot mode and fails to offer a decent cooperative public party experience.  

POE being a diablo clone is not news to me, did you read my OP?

my point is games get hated on here for simply being a clone of another game (even to a much lesser extent than this game) and not being creative or original enough, yet this game is one of the more blatant clones and it gets praise?

i understand the point that there isn't a lot of these types of games and some people didn't like D3

but i do wonder that if a game like this was made by a bigger more established company, would people still be so in love with it?

i tend to think not in many cases.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Once you realise how awesome the mechanics of this game are you will throw your diablo 3 box to the garbage just like kripparrian did.

At the beggining i was saying that this game has no chances even against the crap game diablo 3 but after iu played it for a while i realised that poe is 100 times better than diablo 3.

Sure diablo 2 was a great game and diablo 3 ruined everything we knew but poe is here to give us back that oldschool feeling.

For those saying that combat is slow etc wait till you gain some lvls and see for your self how slow the combat is,otherwise look some streaming on twitch.tv and you will get the idea.

I see poe becoming a huge success over the years for an arpg and it's the best on the market right now.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Aviggin
    Would have been nice if they had at least done male and female versions of all classes. The worst aspect of D1/ D2 that they decided to copy.

With the way the skill systems work.. you can make any class into any class. You want to be a male archer? choose a shadow and head south in the passive tree.. or make a Dualist and head north in the passive tree. Everything is possible; claw weilding Templar, Melee Witch. Don't narrow down your options by sticking to what you 'think' it should be like.. you can do anything in this game skill and class wise.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Carl132pCarl132p Member UncommonPosts: 538

PoE is a Diablo clone- if that is news to you, I'm not sure what to say.  The important concept is that it is a Diablo 1/2 clone and not a Diablo 3 clone.  Understand that, and I think you will eventually see the acusation as a complement for GGG.

Diablo 3 might've failed the genre on many fronts, but they definitely improved the public party with personal loot.  PoE stuck to the old FFA loot mode and fails to offer a decent cooperative public party experience.

my point is games get hated on here for simply being a clone of another game (even to a much lesser extent than this game) and not being creative or original enough, yet this game is one of the more blatant clones and it gets praise?

i understand the point that there isn't a lot of these types of games and some people didn't like D3

but i do wonder that if a game like this was made by a bigger more established company, would people still be so in love with it?

You could think that OR you could realize that the only thing people rail against here is wow clones. This in a genre where while wow is a good game it is mostly viewed as a step back. Diablo 1 and 2 are exactly what we want more of where wow is not. 

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

D2 was the pinnacle of ARPG's, there has yet to be an ARPG as good. It was praised then, it's praised now, it's the reason so many people are unhappy with D3. Will PoE dethrone D2 as the greatest ARPG of all time (/kanye)? Possibly, it's really very good, it's missing some polish and isn't 100% complete, but it is right there nipping at D2's heels.

WoW on the other hand has evolved too much even from itself. So you can differentiate between Vanilla WoW, TBC, WotLK, Cata, and MoP. Some say only Vanilla was good, some felt TBC was the best of WoW. Personally I really enjoyed Vanilla through WotLK, but Cata and MoP were just not there.

So D2 clone is a good thing, just like if someone were going to make a Planescape: Torment clone - that would be awesome.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    PoE is a Diablo clone- if that is news to you, I'm not sure what to say.  The important concept is that it is a Diablo 1/2 clone and not a Diablo 3 clone.  Understand that, and I think you will eventually see the acusation as a complement for GGG.

Diablo 3 might've failed the genre on many fronts, but they definitely improved the public party with personal loot.  PoE stuck to the old FFA loot mode and fails to offer a decent cooperative public party experience.

Try not to get so caught up with the clone labels and what they imply.  PoE copied the formula for a successful 'gear grinding game' and added some unique improvements such as the skill tree and skill gems.  Their economy is based on item barter instead of gold.  List goes on, but those are some major differences that change the user's experience.

PoE gets praise because the developers at GGG deserve it.  I was in closed beta for over a year and have never seen the amount of forum communication from developers anywhere else.  

Spend some time reading through the beta skill feedback forum and you will see what I mean by developer interaction with the community.  Also consider GGG stated from the onset:

Path of Exile is completely free to download and play. We never intend to charge for content or access to the released game. In order to fund the development and continued expansion of Path of Exile, we offer a range of ethical microtransactions that allow you to distinguish yourself in the world of Wraeclast without receiving any gameplay advantage. We are completely opposed to the concept of “pay-to-win”.

How can you not be in love with this vision?  I would support a "bigger more established company" if this was the way they conducted business.  GGG is the first to try such a feat as far as I know though.  Maybe they can set a precedent for others to follow.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Pretty much, except it's actually fun to play.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I'm really looking fwd to it, I missed out in Diablo 1 and 2, looks like exile is gonna give me a taste finally :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by Razperil
    Originally posted by aleos

i dont see any double standard. i see a game filling a space that was left empty.

all anyone ever wanted was Diablo 2 in HD, at least thats all i wanted.. not a carebear overhaul to appease a greater audiance. So unlike this new diablo. Path of Exile actually allows me to allocate skill points. it doesnt do it for me. And the ability to use ANY power i flippin want by meeting basic requirements and an open slot on my weapons or armor that i can remove and replace at any time with no charge or hassel. sign me up.

have you even seen that skill tree? its glorious..

Did i mention its free.

Some people care more about entertaining combat mechanics than graphical looks, in fact i would argue more do.

Your trading entertaining combat for graphics with POE...oh and its not blizzard, some people thats the largest factor in them enjoying a game apparently.

But yes, the game is kind of a D2 ripoff...however you really can make the argument that a 12 year old game has better combat.  Also itemization was far better in D2.  If D3 hadnt pissed off a minority of the D2 crowd POE wouldnt even be on the radar.  The fans are grossly inflating the games greatness.

Before long, more people will be playing Path of Exile. If you don't think so, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I would suggest that you stay in the water-down game that is D3. Afterall, you sound like another disgruntled Blizzard fan that can never stand it when any game does something better or has more merit than Blizzard games these days. (They did it to themselves with their greed. I don't feel sorry or bad for them. It will happen to any company that follows that same path).

Here's to the companies that are passionate about games and about those that play them. :) Let's hope that this is a new marker for how companies become. (possibly wishful thinking, it does not hurt nonetheless).

Thanks for the suggestion but im fine making my own choices, i still play both.  They are both games that need a hell of a lot of improvement.

D3 has action and combat thats far more fun, surprisngly more viable builds than POE with drastic gameplay variety. Also multiplayer is lightyears ahead of POE.

POE has more realistic graphics with nice lighting, a skill web thats very interesting your first play though, and a more hands on crafting system.

Im just being realistic here though...i know the POE fanclub is deeply invested in the game and quite defensive however.

Call me a disgruntled blizzard fan because i play both D3 and POE if that makes you feel better...however..with POE being free, and all of its issues front and center without the heavy handed diamond supporter forums mods deleting all negative threads, its only going to take a short amount of time to cut through the overhype in this one.

Granted i hope GGG comes through with combat support, a physics engine, fixes their launch related issues, and redoes their active skill system while making the passive tree more than boring stat boosts.... I also hope blizzard fixes the bland endgame they have adds more content, and adds more itemization depth.  Both will be fun.

I think POE has a lot further to go to be really solid, but then i dont play one game and support it because i hate another similair game...like so many of the POE fanclub...a community thats bitterly obsessed with D3 and cant stop talking about it.

Oh and they are going to have to start beefing up their cash shop further if they intend to take the game to the next level...they have far too many free players eating bandwith right now.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Just wanted to point out that this isn't correct, unless it's being stated only as an opinion. 

As part of what most people are chiming in on is the gameplay in Path of Exile, not just it's graphics. Cherry picking the one post that mentions grahics in particular and then attacking that as if it's the only point is generally fallacious and does not benefit a conversation.

Especially given your last couple sentences are squarely pegging another kind of playerbase in a negative manner. It essentially just acumulates in meaning your post was flaming other users without merit.

Feel free to say you don't enjoy it's gameplay. Feel free to say you think the game might be getting overhyped. But don't bait with insults.

EDIT: For example the fact you say D3 has 'suprisingly more viable builds' which is a curious statement on it's own given how the active skills in PoE are divided from the class and open t use on all characters, where their passive tree lets them tailor their stats to eventually encompass any given play style.

Additionally on point is the simplifications you speak of in regards to PoE that don't mesh with reality. Like your remark that the passive tree is just stat boosts.

It would be considerably better of you to say what you actually mean and simply note you prefer Diablo 3's gameplay.

Technical accuracy is generally better than painting opinion as if they were facts.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
      IMO POE is light years ahead of any of the Diablo seires its not even close in anyway...
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    The skill tree makes me want to go play Final Fantasy X again.
  • Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Diffrence is WOW has been cloned 9058439054389054385904358439058 times.
  • phoenix_genma_kenphoenix_genma_ken Member Posts: 34

clone or not

rip off or not all i know is that D3 compared to path of exile is a big POS

path of exile baby all the way

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by Deivos

Just wanted to point out that this isn't correct, unless it's being stated only as an opinion. 

As part of what most people are chiming in on is the gameplay in Path of Exile, not just it's graphics. Cherry picking the one post that mentions grahics in particular and then attacking that as if it's the only point is generally fallacious and does not benefit a conversation.

Especially given your last couple sentences are squarely pegging another kind of playerbase in a negative manner. It essentially just acumulates in meaning your post was flaming other users without merit.

Feel free to say you don't enjoy it's gameplay. Feel free to say you think the game might be getting overhyped. But don't bait with insults.

Yeah forgive me, the POE community in game and on the official forums is wearing on me.  Its becomming harder and harder to want to support the game given what i see in game, and the fact i have to keep global chat shut down due to the community.

But my point is, a lot of people are overhyping the game while being 100% blind to the many aspects of POE that are below acceptable.  I mean combat mechanics, active skills, and desync are beyond major issues with an ARPG...yet any mention of that bring forth attacks on those who mention them.  Really the best part of POE is the look and the fact that it caters squarely to disgruntled D2 purests.

Im sorry if thats not what you want to hear, figured a 3rd party forum would be far better explaining this than the official forums with is heavy handed player mods and in game with the constant attacks.

I think GGG really needs to address these issues before they move forward with the game, however, i wouldnt be surprised if they were clueless to the issues given the communities tendancy to censor and attack suggestions.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

So what if its a clone? Its an entertaining game.  Its also a worthy successor to D2, unlike D3.  If Blizzard hadn't managed to annoy a good part of their own playerbase, I doubt it would have attracted so much attention.

As for WoW, for all its faults (which are legion...) its still a good game up to level cap.  Blizzard would hardly have made *billions* from it, if many millions of people didn't think it worthy of their money for years and years.

I've played some of the WoW clones. Some I enjoyed quite abit. Others not so much.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • R_M_BR_M_B Member UncommonPosts: 42

Originally posted by Crunchy222 Yeah forgive me, the POE community in game and on the official forums is wearing on me.  Its becomming harder and harder to want to support the game given what i see in game, and the fact i have to keep global chat shut down due to the community. But my point is, a lot of people are overhyping the game while being 100% blind to the many aspects of POE that are below acceptable.  I mean combat mechanics, active skills, and desync are beyond major issues with an ARPG...yet any mention of that bring forth attacks on those who mention them.  Really the best part of POE is the look and the fact that it caters squarely to disgruntled D2 purests. Im sorry if thats not what you want to hear, figured a 3rd party forum would be far better explaining this than the official forums with is heavy handed player mods and in game with the constant attacks. I think GGG really needs to address these issues before they move forward with the game, however, i wouldnt be surprised if they were clueless to the issues given the communities tendancy to censor and attack suggestions.  

Frankly, I do not get it.

I mean ok, desync and DC are important issues they need to address asap. Thats out of questions.

But when you (or others) start talking about combat mechanics, graphic, skill gems, passive tree, etc. you are talking about your personal preferences. And what you see as faulty or boring others may find acceptable and interesting.

You say suggestions are attacked.
    My bet is that in most cases they are not real suggestions but rather nonconstructive posts that some part of game A is different then in game B or in imagination of poster, and only for that reason it has to be changed.
    Sorry, but thats not a suggestion - thats just whining, by someone who fails to understand that each game can have its own flavors. Making "suggestions" that are aimed to change the very core of what makes a game different is not what should be encouraged (in fact thats something that kills innovation in games making them clones of some major title).

As far as I see it, one does not have to like each game on the market.
    Either you like something and then make a suggestion that build on and expand on that idea. Or if you do not like something, be a man and move over to other game.

B)
  • the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

theres nothing wrong with cloning a great game, especialy if you can do it well with fresh content for players to consume.  D2 was an amazing game and d3 is not a clone of d2 they tried to do there own new thing, d3 is a great game but its very shallow of content I still got tons of time out of it dont regret the cost of the game but I quit after about a month and a half of d3 because of content. 

D2 held me for years and I can understand why POE would want to be the new d2 but honestly POE is a cluncky, buggy, low budget version of d2 and I for 1 am not enjoying it.  For me combat and the smoothness of the engine are number 1 factors for enjoying a game and POE falls pretty flat in combat imo but I wish all you POE fans the best of luck...

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Because WoW doesn't have the universal praise that the D1/D2LoD franchise does. The pre D3 Diablo franchise is universally associated with positive gaming experiences. D1/D2 are the holy grail of ARPGs. WoW, meanwhile, is an EQ clone and despite being mostly liked, does not carry the universal praise that is always heaped upon D1 & D2.

• davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458

poe is great game better then d3