Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] General: Razer Edge - A Chunky Little Beast

2»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

The $1000 version doesn't get you a Core i7 processor.  If you want the Core i7, that's $1300.  Or more if you want the accessories, such as the controller that is basically the whole point of the project.

Meanwhile, whether you get a Core i5 or Core i7 processor, it's a ULV chip--meaning, clocked very low.  While it does have a discrete video card, it's a discrete card that isn't really any faster than modern integrated graphics.  The net result is gaming performance comparable to a $600 laptop with an A10-4600M running integrated graphics.

The Razer Edge is also a "tablet" that is thicker than some clamshell laptops.  Once you add the accessories, it's really no more portable than a laptop for carrying it around purposes.

The battery life will also be dreadful under gaming loads.  I'd be surprised if you can't drain the battery from full to dead in under an hour.  Many games won't push it as hard, but you're looking at maybe 90 minutes of battery life under a typical gaming load.  In a few months, some Kabini-based laptops will be able to get you several times that, though they'll trail way behind the Razer Edge in GPU performance.

It's a niche product targeted at people willing to pay a fortune for middling gaming performance in a tablet form factor.  If you want a more portable tablet for light Windows gaming, wait for AMD Temash to launch sometime in the first half of this year.

Originally posted by Aeonblades

In about 10 years I can see this being true. Tablets are a cool idea, but until this technology surpasses what laptops are capable of for the same price, it will stay a split market. This thing comes so close to being able to be used for gaming, but I'm seeing the same thing happening that happened to desktops. When laptops came out, for a long time desktops were still king. Actually in terms of performance they are still king. There were a lot of people claiming it would be the death of desktops back in the 90s, but here we are, plenty of people using desktops and plenty of people using laptops as well.

I can definitely see why someone would get this, I just don't have any use for it personally as I have other electronics that costed less and perform better.

Tablets will never catch laptops in performance, just like laptops will never catch desktops in performance.  Anything you can do in the smaller form factor, you can do in the larger form factor, with only the exception of carrying it around easily.  Conversely, the larger form factor lets you do a lot of things that are impossible in the smaller form factor.

Tablets do have a legitimate place in the world, especially as tablets that are actually good start arriving.

The real question is whether and when tablets will be good enough for what you need them for.  For watching videos, they're plenty good enough already (well, at least some of them are).  For e-mail or forum posting, you'd really rather have at least a laptop, or maybe eventually a detachable.  And if you want to get some real work done, you want a desktop.  Neither tablets nor laptops will ever be able to compete with desktops in monitor space, peripheral options, or ergonomics.

Originally posted by Tenkousei

The base version doesn't sport an I7 either, but an i5. (Why you'd need an I7 for gaming is beyond me though, as most games don't support more than 4 threads anyway), the i7 version is more expensive.

Intel's ULV processors are dual cores, whether it's a Core i5, a Core i7, or anything else, with perhaps the exception of Celeron.

Many games will have a lot more than four threads.  How many CPU cores a game needs to run well, how many cores it will scale well to, and how many threads it has are three totally different questions.

Originally posted by Digna

Shows as 1300 on the Razer site. + $350 for the extras and who wouldn't go with an extended warranty on what is essentially newer technology (at $199).

A little steep for me.

Both the CPU and GPU have been around for quite a while.  What's new is sticking them in a tablet form factor where they really don't belong.  Not that there is anywhere else where the particular parts Razer is using do belong.  (I'm not a fan of ultrabooks, which is Intel's intended use of the CPU, nor am I a fan of buying a discrete video card that isn't any faster than integrated graphics.)

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

this looks awesome but i think i'll wait til the next windows (codenamed Windows: not awful)

windows 8 is esentially satan.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    You would be far better off with a gaming laptop, playing decent games on tablets is a joke.
  • Crusix221Crusix221 Member UncommonPosts: 100
    I travel a lot so this is looking like an option for me. What could I run GW2 at on this (be honest not just hateful). My current intel 2.9 ghz dual core, 4 gig RAM, and 8600M runs it on low........
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Crusix221
    I travel a lot so this is looking like an option for me. What could I run GW2 at on this (be honest not just hateful). My current intel 2.9 ghz dual core, 4 gig RAM, and 8600M runs it on low........

It will probably be on low as well, maybe medium but I don't know. It's hard to tell without testing it ourselves.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• C.L.O.U.DC.L.O.U.D Member UncommonPosts: 365
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by KingofHartz
    Because its portable, it takes up less space, no wires, ....... There are more reasons and chances are the tablet you used was not designed for gaming. This has a ways to go but at least the ice has been broken. I used to think tablets were silly too, and really compare this to an asus g series laptop and yes the laptop will blow it out of the water, and the laptop is cheaper, but the tablet it still smaller and easier to store, more convienient to get out and put away, or just take with you.

I understand what you are saying here, but I just don't see it. A laptop is more than enough portability and doesn't have any wires unless your battery is dead. I can buy a laptop with the same portability an 18 inch screen and get more for my money. If tablets like this costed the same as a laptop or less, then it may be worth the money.

The problem here is there is a bit of a misconception. A laptop is NOT as portable. Walking and using the laptop is not easy, depending on where and how you are sitting a laptop again is not as easy to use. You need a place to set the laptop down and if you want to game you need a place to put your mouse unless you are comfortable gaming with that track pad they come with. 

A tablet trumps laptops in portability as much as laptops trump desktops in portability. Then there is the added functionallity. The acceleromators and the touch screen add more capabillities than the laptop can offer. A Tablet with a camera on the back offers augmented reality capabilities that a laptop can't give. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2uH-jrsSxs <--- this vid will give you an idea of what I mean by augmented reality. 

If you want power get a desktop

If you want portability get a tablet 

If you want something that fits awkwardly in between, get a laptop. Though with the rise of streaming computing and gaming power/performance isn't as much of an issue as of late. Hell, I've been playing GW2 as well as TSW on my Acer Iconia A200 with various apps. 

You're not taking into account that everyone on this site (prob) plays primarily MMO's, so they will need the keyboard&mouse configuration with the tablet. So they are thinking the price is not worth it when they still need to carry those extra things aswell. So for these peoples sake, a laptop is MORE portable for mmo gaming than the Razer is for the simple fact that they have keyboards built in, and you can spend less money for the same preformance or better.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by C.L.O.U.D
    Because its portable, it takes up less space, no wires, ....... There are more reasons and chances are the tablet you used was not designed for gaming. This has a ways to go but at least the ice has been broken. I used to think tablets were silly too, and really compare this to an asus g series laptop and yes the laptop will blow it out of the water, and the laptop is cheaper, but the tablet it still smaller and easier to store, more convienient to get out and put away, or just take with you.

I understand what you are saying here, but I just don't see it. A laptop is more than enough portability and doesn't have any wires unless your battery is dead. I can buy a laptop with the same portability an 18 inch screen and get more for my money. If tablets like this costed the same as a laptop or less, then it may be worth the money.

The problem here is there is a bit of a misconception. A laptop is NOT as portable. Walking and using the laptop is not easy, depending on where and how you are sitting a laptop again is not as easy to use. You need a place to set the laptop down and if you want to game you need a place to put your mouse unless you are comfortable gaming with that track pad they come with. 

A tablet trumps laptops in portability as much as laptops trump desktops in portability. Then there is the added functionallity. The acceleromators and the touch screen add more capabillities than the laptop can offer. A Tablet with a camera on the back offers augmented reality capabilities that a laptop can't give. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2uH-jrsSxs <--- this vid will give you an idea of what I mean by augmented reality. 

If you want something that fits awkwardly in between, get a laptop. Though with the rise of streaming computing and gaming power/performance isn't as much of an issue as of late. Hell, I've been playing GW2 as well as TSW on my Acer Iconia A200 with various apps. 

You're not taking into account that everyone on this site (prob) plays primarily MMO's, so they will need the keyboard&mouse configuration with the tablet. So they are thinking the price is not worth it when they still need to carry those extra things aswell. So for these peoples sake, a laptop is MORE portable for mmo gaming than the Razer is for the simple fact that they have keyboards built in, and you can spend less money for the same preformance or better.

Actually with windows 8 on a touch screen tablet they don't really need the keyboard and mouse. The controller that attaches to Razers Edge is actually really nice and takes the place of the mouse pretty nicely for portable gaming purposes at least. With windows 8 on the touch screen, all those hotkeys you "Need" are replaced by the ability to directly touch abilities on screen. There are plenty of buttons and triggers to map most of your "I need it now" abilities and the rest you can actually simply touch on screen. 

I used Splashtop to test this out on my tablet. It doesn't have as good of an overlay option as kainy but it was simply for testing purposes. I streamed GW2 and plugged in a controller to my tablet to play. After setting up the controller I decided not to use the overlay from splashtop since I was testing touch vs. hotkeys. 

I increased the size of the UI and began playing. Every ability was simply a touch with my main attack abilities being on the controller. Summon Spirit weapons consisted of simply touching the abilities. 

What many are failing to realize is this isn't just a gaming tablet. It's a gaming tabley with full touch screen support. Win 8 brings a lot to the tablet for tablets. The ability to touch abilities right on the screen negates the need for a hotkey for the ability. The on screen keyboard still pops up for when you want to type/chat, but beyond that the need for it in game has been removed by the ability to simply touch things on the screen combined with a controller of some kind. 

I've actually gotten really into using my phone as a 16 button controller in conjunction with my tablet's touch screen for extra control options. 

I mean granted, keyboard and mouse are the way to go at home or some place you can setup your desktop. But for portable gaming laptops really are falling behind because they aren't as portable. Some are trying to keep up by going touch screen + keyboard but those that do are typically a tablet now with a keyboard. 

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

3.25lbs? c'mon you guys get with the programme KILOGRAMS next you be using fluid ounces to measure your fizzy drinks, you know we, the rest of the world, have updated our measurement systems to a modern metric standard you gonna join in? image

Nice 1.5kg pad though but I do agree with whats the point of such a thing but Razer do lovely kit my mouse and keyboard are both Razer and I'm very happy with them.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• C.L.O.U.DC.L.O.U.D Member UncommonPosts: 365
    Originally posted by C.L.O.U.D

Actually with windows 8 on a touch screen tablet they don't really need the keyboard and mouse. The controller that attaches to Razers Edge is actually really nice and takes the place of the mouse pretty nicely for portable gaming purposes at least. With windows 8 on the touch screen, all those hotkeys you "Need" are replaced by the ability to directly touch abilities on screen. There are plenty of buttons and triggers to map most of your "I need it now" abilities and the rest you can actually simply touch on screen. 

I used Splashtop to test this out on my tablet. It doesn't have as good of an overlay option as kainy but it was simply for testing purposes. I streamed GW2 and plugged in a controller to my tablet to play. After setting up the controller I decided not to use the overlay from splashtop since I was testing touch vs. hotkeys. 

I increased the size of the UI and began playing. Every ability was simply a touch with my main attack abilities being on the controller. Summon Spirit weapons consisted of simply touching the abilities. 

What many are failing to realize is this isn't just a gaming tablet. It's a gaming tabley with full touch screen support. Win 8 brings a lot to the tablet for tablets. The ability to touch abilities right on the screen negates the need for a hotkey for the ability. The on screen keyboard still pops up for when you want to type/chat, but beyond that the need for it in game has been removed by the ability to simply touch things on the screen combined with a controller of some kind. 

I've actually gotten really into using my phone as a 16 button controller in conjunction with my tablet's touch screen for extra control options. 

I mean granted, keyboard and mouse are the way to go at home or some place you can setup your desktop. But for portable gaming laptops really are falling behind because they aren't as portable. Some are trying to keep up by going touch screen + keyboard but those that do are typically a tablet now with a keyboard. 

Laptops are falling behind?lol...Please show me where you are getting your information from. Sure they(companies) are producing more and more tablets, and it's only a matter of time before there are multiple true gaming tablets on the market. Sorry, but the touch screen does not replace a keyboard and mouse for mmo gaming. Since this topic came up, I actually made a survey for my class (of my choice) and I asked people in it a number of gaming questions. Things like whether they prefer PC/table/Console. Tablets of course came in last, very small numbers for it. MMO's are made to be played with keyboards, it's just too hard to play if you pvp or do hardcore raiding with a touch screen.