Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why this game was/will be a major disappointment for me

13»

Comments

• MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176
    I for one was really excited when this game was annouced.  Hoping to get into beta to check it out and not hoping for  a let down.  
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by Rekindle

3.  Your sell out attitude.  Morrowind was revolutionary, Oblivion was decent, Skyrim (well, lets not talk about the pc verson).  This online game does not stand out, its not distinctive and nothing, absoutely nothing, about it is innovative.

Please elaborate... I have been playing Skyrim on PC without any problems since release and have over 900+ hours banked on my characters. Skyrim is the best Elder Scrolls yet bub.  You are in a small minority if you believe otherwise.

I agree, I have absolutely no idea what he was talking about. I have it on a PC with no Mods and it is one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had since the Ninendo Legend of Zelda and the Baldur's Gate series.. The way they made the world feel alive and all the different paths you can take was nothing short of amazing. The only issue I have had is water stuttering as the rings of water move away from your body when SLI is enabled with my dual 580Ms. The game plays fine on the highest settings anyway without SLI. Ive seen some minor bugs, but nothing that made me think it wasn't worth playing. I think he is def in the minority.

I agree about the hype train, but there is nothing wrong with people being excited about something new to dive into.

There Is Always Hope!

• drebiandrebian Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by sapphen

Originally posted by Normandy7
    The hardest part for Zenimax will be trying to conviince the diehard Elder Scrolls player to buy into the traditional theme park mmo setup.  I'm not convinced that will happen.

The hardest part for Elder Scroll fans will be trying to convince the devs at Zenimax to actually make an Elder Scrolls game.  Unfortantly this didn't happen.

What I think is funny is why should Zenimax have to convince Elder Scrolls fans to accept thier game.  Instead of designing an Elder Scrolls game they made another tradtiional theme part mmo, isn't there enough of them already?

Pardon the caps, but THE GAME ISN'T EVEN IN BETA YET! You can make no accusations about what sort of game has been made based on trailers and concept discussions. Provide me 1 shred of proof to support your claim of them making a "traditional theme part mmo". Please, do so. Until then, I'm staying hopefully optimistic for the game. Does that mean that I'm going to be blind to problems, no. It means I can hope that 2 companies (Zenimax and Bethesda) can work together to make a good game. So few people seem to remember that Bethesda is in the works as well on this game.

Originally posted by noncley

Originally posted by NL-Rikkert

As a true TES fan I realise it doesn't look nor sound very promising at all, though the MMO player in me begs me to wait and see till I have a chance to play the product..

Hopes are low and I presume it will get pretty bloody after release. 

Please do not screw up TES!

I agree. The strongest points of the Elder Scrolls games is that they are free-roaming, open-ended, class-free sandboxes. Any MMORPG brought out under the Elder Scrolls IP that does not offer these things is going to crash hard.

While ESO won't be completely free-roaming with the faction zones, the developer statements are all showing that it will still be an open-ended game. Furthermore, look at the history of The Elder Scrolls games. Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion all had classes!!! Only the most recent in a series of 5 was a classless game. How then can you claim that the entire Elder Scrolls game concept is hinged on being a classless sandbox? Yes ESO will have classes, but any class can wear any armor and use any weapon. Furthermore, you will have points just like in Skyrim for customization. So what if you pick some form of warrior at the beginning. You spend your customization points in magic if you want to. How is that so limiting that you're bringing it up as a valid complaint?

Last bit that I'm going to put out, do your research people.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by drebian

Originally posted by sapphen

Originally posted by Normandy7
    The hardest part for Zenimax will be trying to conviince the diehard Elder Scrolls player to buy into the traditional theme park mmo setup.  I'm not convinced that will happen.

The hardest part for Elder Scroll fans will be trying to convince the devs at Zenimax to actually make an Elder Scrolls game.  Unfortantly this didn't happen.

What I think is funny is why should Zenimax have to convince Elder Scrolls fans to accept thier game.  Instead of designing an Elder Scrolls game they made another tradtiional theme part mmo, isn't there enough of them already?

Pardon the caps, but THE GAME ISN'T EVEN IN BETA YET! You can make no accusations about what sort of game has been made based on trailers and concept discussions. Provide me 1 shred of proof to support your claim of them making a "traditional theme part mmo". Please, do so. Until then, I'm staying hopefully optimistic for the game. Does that mean that I'm going to be blind to problems, no. It means I can hope that 2 companies (Zenimax and Bethesda) can work together to make a good game. So few people seem to remember that Bethesda is in the works as well on this game.

The combat, class, faction, punishment and quests systems would've translated.  Combat would have to be tweaked and I understand adding in an action bar but race/land locking is totally the wrong direction.   I'm also leery of talking to someone who automatically jumps to absurd conclusions - you either lack problem solving skills or just trying to play advocate.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

1.  Paul Sage's video released back at the beginning of the announcement. Immediately, the video did not feel like a  hype video but a damage control video.  Nothing in the video convinced me that this would by a vision i could share in as an ESO.

2.  The cinematic trailer.  You wasted your money on a generic cinematic trailer.  The cinematic trailer for Ultima ONline is awesome but says/shows nothing about the game.  I personally feel fans would have been better served by a good game play video.  I think it should be clear what players want to see.  The fact you release this instead speaks volumes about the coming ineptedtude.

3.  Your sell out attitude.  Morrowind was revolutionary, Oblivion was decent, Skyrim (well, lets not talk about the pc verson).  This online game does not stand out, its not distinctive and nothing, absoutely nothing, about it is innovative.

4. What really seems to be happening here is someone has taken a box'd mmo and tryed to skin it as Elder scrolls.  I'm so sick of this and its why i only play Eve now.  They design the game then slap the IP on? Seriously?   This is suposed to be Elder Scrolls.  More generic crap with no thought put into creative character progression.   More levels? Seriously?  this has to be the new slogan for the game.

5.  I usually don't go out on the negative limb but from everything I see so far...The Elder Scrolls Online is off to a bad start and the company that you have implementing your generic MMO is completely and utterly releasing a generic mmo.

6.  This is not a vision of Elder Scrolls I can get behind.

You could go on treasure hunts and drop things on the ground in Ultima since launch, You of all people should have know Paul.

What a snooze fest!

Main problem with any game are people that ask "Why this game was/will be a major disappointment for me". If this will be your major disappointment .. great .. leave and do not return and do not bother all the rest. People like you with attitude like yours are being failures of many could be good games. Period.

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206
    Originally posted by daltanious

1.  Paul Sage's video released back at the beginning of the announcement. Immediately, the video did not feel like a  hype video but a damage control video.  Nothing in the video convinced me that this would by a vision i could share in as an ESO.

2.  The cinematic trailer.  You wasted your money on a generic cinematic trailer.  The cinematic trailer for Ultima ONline is awesome but says/shows nothing about the game.  I personally feel fans would have been better served by a good game play video.  I think it should be clear what players want to see.  The fact you release this instead speaks volumes about the coming ineptedtude.

4. What really seems to be happening here is someone has taken a box'd mmo and tryed to skin it as Elder scrolls.  I'm so sick of this and its why i only play Eve now.  They design the game then slap the IP on? Seriously?   This is suposed to be Elder Scrolls.  More generic crap with no thought put into creative character progression.   More levels? Seriously?  this has to be the new slogan for the game.

5.  I usually don't go out on the negative limb but from everything I see so far...The Elder Scrolls Online is off to a bad start and the company that you have implementing your generic MMO is completely and utterly releasing a generic mmo.

You could go on treasure hunts and drop things on the ground in Ultima since launch, You of all people should have know Paul.

What a snooze fest!

Main problem with any game are people that ask "Why this game was/will be a major disappointment for me". If this will be your major disappointment .. great .. leave and do not return and do not bother all the rest. People like you with attitude like yours are being failures of many could be good games. Period.

Players who have been around long enough to experience various phases of the (de-) evolution of this Genre have hi expectations. 

Honestly, i'm glad that there are a lot of people out there that can find enjoyment with the current crop of mmos.  Frankly, the farce this genre has turned into makes me ill.  The item shops, the same tired old game play over and over.

Forgive an experienced gamer when they look towards a studio (and their partners) for something a bit more innovation and RGP pure.  For years tehre were a bunch of us waiting for TESO to come and be TES Online.

Instead we're getting WoW in TES clothing.

Should I be "happy"?  Should I not voice my opinion on the subject? I'm pretty sure I'm not offending anyone by talking about the game (there are lots of sensitives on these forums).  Maybe you're the one who should leave my thread and let me talk about why I think this game has problems.  There are lots of forums  you can go and talk about how lovely the game is.

Pure TES players should be let down by this anmd if they are going for a bite of the WoW pie then shame on them for copying/selling out.

And yes Skyrim on the PC was nothing more then a complete port from teh xbox. the UI is clunky and terrible on a PC.  And also, on a pc Skyrim had signifcant performance issues.  Again, my expectations are different than yours.  That does not mean someone should  go away.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

What a snooze fest!

Players who have been around long enough to experience various phases of the (de-) evolution of this Genre have hi expectations. 

Honestly, i'm glad that there are a lot of people out there that can find enjoyment with the current crop of mmos.  Frankly, the farce this genre has turned into makes me ill.  The item shops, the same tired old game play over and over.

Forgive an experienced gamer when they look towards a studio (and their partners) for something a bit more innovation and RGP pure.  For years tehre were a bunch of us waiting for TESO to come and be TES Online.

Instead we're getting WoW in TES clothing.

Should I be "happy"?  Should I not voice my opinion on the subject? I'm pretty sure I'm not offending anyone by talking about the game (there are lots of sensitives on these forums).  Maybe you're the one who should leave my thread and let me talk about why I think this game has problems.  There are lots of forums  you can go and talk about how lovely the game is.

Pure TES players should be let down by this anmd if they are going for a bite of the WoW pie then shame on them for copying/selling out.

And yes Skyrim on the PC was nothing more then a complete port from teh xbox. the UI is clunky and terrible on a PC.  And also, on a pc Skyrim had signifcant performance issues.  Again, my expectations are different than yours.  That does not mean someone should  go away.

I was going to post what you just did, but now I don't have to. Thanks.

Once more, where is your proof that they are going "WoW clone"? At this point in development, claims such as this are speculation. Unless you work for Zenimax and participated in Alpha testing, that is...
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Is not problem of voicing your opinion. But is big difference if somebody voice it did not like some game and if somebody chases every possible forum and flames over game, how bad it is, every one should stop playing it ... etc etc.

I had very bad experience (mainly) with Rappelz and Aion, I might speak in some forum about that ... but that it is. Then I will forget about that game, will not go on their official forums or any dedicated forums. But many players it looks make scope of their life spitting and shitting on some game over and over at any possible time and place. I was referring to that kind of people.

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287

I've not played a huge amount of the other ES games. But I played the crap outta DAoC. As such I am quietly intrigued by the possibilities this game has and I don't really give a toss about the ES lore.

A well contructed DAoC would frankly be enough for me.

Originally posted by Nibs

I've not played a huge amount of the other ES games. But I played the crap outta DAoC. As such I am quietly intrigued by the possibilities this game has and I don't really give a toss about the ES lore.

A well contructed DAoC would frankly be enough for me.

Just because the game has developers for DAoC does not mean it will be like DAoC. Look at Vanguard. Several of it's initial developers were from the Everquest team. While it does have some similarities to EQ, VG is its own game.

But always good to see people willing to give new concepts a try. Welcome to the community. Hopefully the naysayers and speculators don't drive you off.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    The lore is what interests me about ESO and all the elder scrolls games. It will have meaningful pvp where you can be emperor of cyrodill

"Master - having taken possession of the recently unearthed remains of the Scrolls of Teso, I set about translating the fragmented script. I found however that the primer that has served me for so long was lacking, or, perhaps (and I feel a little foolish for theorising in this way), perhaps the names of the emperors of that period were encoded in some way by those writing afterwards, for some esoteric purpose hitherto unknown to us.

In any case - between the years I mentioned in my last missive - a span of a mere four years, I herebye submit to the Guild the rollcall of Emperors of Cyrodil;

Mad Mad

Ownage

Prettypetal

Fizzbang

Xena

Lol252

Lockupyourdaughters

Legolas

Wendycakes

DPSConan

Bob

*Postscript - I have ordered the arrest of the adventurer who brought me the documents claiming they were authentic. Considering the significant payment the Guild made to her and the obvious fakery involved I have also ordered the inquisitor to put the individual to 'the question' in the Guild dungeons.

I promise you Master, we WILL get to the bottom of this and track down the jokers who have perpetrated this mockery."

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Hopefully there will be a free demo / trial for this game.  With so many bad MMO games that have come and gone in recent years, there is little reassurance that this game will have longevity or be good quality.  Getting stamped with the ESO logo won't be enough.

Shipping with a free trial at launch would be nice.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Karteli
    Hopefully there will be a free demo / trial for this game.  With so many bad MMO games that have come and gone in recent years, there is little reassurance that this game will have longevity or be good quality.  Getting stamped with the ESO logo won't be enough. Shipping with a free trial at launch would be nice.

it wont have longevity, you may as well prepare for that now because it wont as a theme park.

the only way a theme park style game will ever have longevity again is if one came out that blows everything else out of the water and nothing compares to it.

other than that, most people will play it for a while then quit, come back a few months later and play for a while, then quit again.

rinse and repeat.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Well Rekindle you talked about a copy and paste kind of mmo and what you didint like. Just what is it you would like to see. No really what would make this ESO any different you know stand out. What would you like to see done or changed?

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by LlexX

The cinematic trailer is going to be the best part of this MMO from all this theme-parkisation of TES, looking at the amazing trailer they should have made a movie or TV serie instead of another WoW/GW2 clone.

I'm sorry you're prolly too young to remember life before WoW, but there was life. And by what the devs have been releasing, TESO has absolutely nothing to do with wow. Like... NOTHING.

I think people sometimes just macro this "wow clone" in their little brains and when they press one of those 8 neurons, the only thing that comes out is "omg wow clone".

Btw... wow is an EQ clone, with Games Workshop's clone factions. Your point is...?

P.S actually the best part about this mmo, is that people like you wont be playing it I hope. Now a question: Why do people come to forums of a game they dont like and take their time to hate on it? I mean... its kinda retarded... picture this... I go to that grocery store I hate, only to tell people there (that like that store) how much I hate it... and the sad part is to think that the people there actually care about what I have to say.

Look left. Theres a list of game forums, from A-C, D-F, G-L etc... theres one there you like and play, please waste your time there. I dont go to guild wars forums to say how much I hate it, because... well I hate it so I dont go there.

I'm sure this would be pretty logical and part of common sense by now, but no... people still do this. It blows my mind really...

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore

As much as you and I love the Elder scrolls franchise (especially morrowind) don't treat this game like the IP is.

This is just another MMO: That is what i tell myself. SO if anything does amaze me when i get to actually PLAY the game and FEEL how it works then its all happy smiles here. If it's mediocre and not my thing. Oh well, im certainly used to that these days.

As to the person who says Skyrim is the best elder scrolls game. I would say most disagree with that. Morrowind has the cult following that skyrim will never reach.

Skyrim has sold the most copies and is most replayed... a cult of followers is puny in size for morrowwind.  The game is dated and severly lacking in comparison.  Once again I will say "Skyrim is the best ES game to date" facts prove it. To each is thier own though... Hope to see you in game if you choose wisely.

I guess by your logic McDonalds is the best restuarant you can ever do.  Millions upon millions served cannot be wrong right?  Someplace to take your date to for a wonderful dinner?

I for one am choosing wisely by not buying into ESO.  The writing's all over the wall and the longtime TES fan in me can heed the warnings.  I was happy at first when news of ESO was first released.  That is, until more details of the restricted gameplay came out.  Freedom was what TES games have been about.  But alot of information on ESO is the opposite.

If you refuse to see the warning sign of gaming circles on the internets blowing up in negativity when ESO was announced, and continues to do so, then by all means, do go on...

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)