Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Optional Open World PVP

12346»

Comments

• znaiikaznaiika denver, PAPosts: 203Member

All open world with sandbox elements and non toon games are FFA PVP, why dose that has to be the case?

If PVPers so love to have their own OWFFA PVP? then give them whole separate PVP server, and at the same time have another server for PVE with optional PVP by flaging/1vs1/arena.....

No one would ever complain about balance between those two.

DFUW is basicaly PVE, it has AI, open world, crafting with modern graphics, the only difference is it has permanent pvp flagg, there little to be done to make two independed servers, one for pve and the other for pvp, two independed servers will have an option to earn a lot more $$$$ for the developer wich will pay off for both servers.

All games can do this, and both PVP and PVE community will/can co-exist next to each other, and time will balance them both.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by znaiika

If PVPers so love to have their own OWFFA PVP? then give them whole separate PVP server, and at the same time have another server for PVE with optional PVP by flaging/1vs1/arena.....

No one would ever complain about balance between those two.

Many games, like WOW, are already doing this. So no one should complain because open pvp servers exist today.

• dave6660dave6660 New York, NYPosts: 2,543Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Malcanis

Perhaps it's time people came to accept that some playstyles are incompatible with others in the same game, or at least in the same game area. If you're looking for open-world FFA PvP, maybe don't sign up to a quest-based PvE-centric game. If you just want to smoosh sprites in peace, maybe don't try and play an open world sandbox based on full-loot PvP and player interaction. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Why do people do this? Is being disappointed and raging at the people who've let you down by producing a game that you never wanted to play in the first place more fun that just playing a game that suits you?

One game doesn't need to cater for all playstyle preferences, and I've never seen a convincing argument as to why it should other than the unsupported assertion "but it would make a lot of money!!!". As if the amount of money a game makes for a publisher is a reliable guide to how good it is to play.

It is OK to tell someone "look I'm sorry, this just isn't the right game for you". People who say this often get accused of being arrogant "elitists", but the infinitely greater arrogance is that of someone who joins an existing MMO full of people who enjoy what it offers, and then demands that it be radically changed to suit them - and be dambed to the people who already play it!

American football can never be made a suitable game for hemophiliacs.

Golf is never going to be fun for adrenaline junkies.

Just accept it.

We should sing this from the roof tops!

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• QuirhidQuirhid TamperePosts: 5,969Member Common
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Quirhid

But that is the point. I am questioning the wisdom of having "optional open world pvp". Why isn't it better just to keep them separate? If you look at the market and successful games, almost all (except may be Eve, but it is no where close to the success of some of these other games) have them separate.

There's a niche market for open world PvP and if you want to grab that niche, you have to make it work. I don't like open world PvP any more than you do, because I don't think it works very well. I offered suggestions to improve it.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member

But that is the point. I am questioning the wisdom of having "optional open world pvp". Why isn't it better just to keep them separate? If you look at the market and successful games, almost all (except may be Eve, but it is no where close to the success of some of these other games) have them separate.

There's a niche market for open world PvP and if you want to grab that niche, you have to make it work. I don't like open world PvP any more than you do, because I don't think it works very well. I offered suggestions to improve it.

Ok .. that is fair. Personally i doubt if it will ever work very well, or if there is enough of an audience for it. If players want this, some devs would already have provided it.

• TorikTorik London, ONPosts: 2,343Member Uncommon

There is a major difference between "optional open world PvP" and just "open world PvP".  "Optional" implies that it will not have a serious impact on players who choose to ignore it.  WoW has "optional world PvP" on its PvE servers and as a non-PvP player I really would not want for it to have a bigger impact on my gameplay than it already has. 

I have a hard time imagining how to make open world PvP work better without eliminating the "optional" part of. 

12346»