Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Business model question + poll

• PhelcherPhelcher Boston, MAPosts: 1,053Member

Box + Sub ..!

That^ is the only way to launch a legitimate MMORPG. The community must support them enough to not only buy the game (Box), but know ans willing to support a subscription to this MMORPG, as fee for playing in their persistant world. To be part of the story...

$20/month fee shouldn't be hard for anyone, but the most youngest.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

• Sp00shSp00sh Grand Rapids, MIPosts: 48Member

This should be obvious, first I would like to try the game, if I like and/or love it, I will buy a subscription, otherwise I will gladly pay for certain things that I do enjoy.  But first I need to enjoy the game, if is sucks ass, why the hell would I pay to figure that out?  I promise I will not pay, without a trial.  Game developers need to prove to me as a paying customer that their game is better and worth paying for.  Hype is bullshit, trials are where it is at.

I want this game to be awesome, everything I've read and seen is awesome.  So please don't Fuk this up by being stupid.

Sincerely, Me!

• firefly2003firefly2003 Los Angeles, CAPosts: 2,510Member Uncommon

I'm for subscription option only if the game is worth paying a sub for, F2P seems to attract the trash and dregs of the MMORPG

world . A game like this shouldn't even really need a cash shop with the extensive list of features I'd rather the cash shop stay out

of the game as well cause we all know once a shop is there most of the development time is wasted on new cash shop crap that

could've been content or new features to make your game better.

• tom_goretom_gore TamperePosts: 1,797Member Uncommon

I'm hoping for a sub, because it tends to keep the most poisonous crowd out.

If it has sub, I also hope any cash shop is 100% cosmetic only AND all the items are also obtainable by playing (grinding).

• SelfossPosts: 63Member

I'm all for a payment and server hybrid model if possible.

1. A Box + Sub servers, with no shop.
    Character customization is a big thing for me - especially playing "earning" for some parts. If i could only roleplay a pirate by spending 20$ for a pirate suit, with no way to earn it in game it suck the fun out of my game. Won't be the first game i quit over looks, it's never the top reason alone but it was sometimes the straw that broke the camels back. If i want to run around with a bucket on my head - i should pick one up and wear it, instead of paying additional 10$ for a silly fun moment. A sub and box price also limits the "free" chat and gameplay lvl1 troll accounts.

2. "Free" servers, doesn't matter to me if it is some kind of pay2win, box + shop or freemium.
    People that enjoy playing a limited core game for "free" can do so here, and pay for what they consider worth the money.

Playing: EVE Online
    Wants to play: ArcheAge, Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance / Star Citizen / FFXIV AAR / Neverwinter

Used to play for 5+ years: Lineage 2, Lord of the Rings Online and Ragnarok Online

Utter disappointing MMO experience for 1 - 3 Months:
    WAR / AoC / SWTOR / RIFT / AION / STO / TSW / GW2 / GW / Vanguard / Planetside2

• ice-vortexice-vortex Posts: 953Member Uncommon
    I would say free to play model would be best for the health of the game. A box price is quite a bit of a hurdle to overcome in today's market. Guild Wars 2 was able to do it with the build up of years of hype and the fact they had a previous game release during a time period when there wasn't much competition in the market. ArcheAge is going to go up against Elder Scrolls and the next Everquest, and that is a tough battle just from the competition's name recognition. If they did a free to play model, they could still offer a founder' pack and would likely sell nearly as many of those as any retail box.
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Lancaster, UKPosts: 2,132Member Uncommon
    F2P for levels 1-20 then if you want to continue box price plus sub. But I'd settle for the current GW2/TSW model.
  • Zarak11Zarak11 SPbPosts: 36Member

f2p model is not about AA. f2p will kill this game very fast .

its unlimited work points / thongs of bots /poor prices at auction-house and more ...

• coretex666coretex666 PraguePosts: 1,953Member Uncommon

The poll indicates that most people want the game to go with

Box Price + Subscription (No Cash Shop)

It was my choice in the poll as well. The reasons for subscription stated by people in this thread seem to be mostly reasonable.

Second most popular option is

Box price + Cash shop

I assume that this business model would generate lower profit, so that it is less likely they will go without subs. If they are confident their game can attract and hold player base large enough then they will most likely go with subs like they did in Asia in order to maximize profit. This is just my estimate based on assumption that the game will be successful and will have large player base.

Waiting for L2 EU Classic

• CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranPosts: 4,505Member Uncommon

Box price + Sub NO CASH SHOP..

• MMOExposedMMOExposed lalal land, DCPosts: 6,259Member Uncommon
    I want B2P or Cheaper sub fee of 5$ a month.

• jdnycjdnyc Long Island City, NYPosts: 1,696Member

Your poll misses out the business model of the future.

That's TSW model.

Box Price + Optional Sub for content or purchase what extra content you want via cash shop.

• coretex666coretex666 PraguePosts: 1,953Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by jdnyc

Your poll misses out the business model of the future.

That's TSW model.

Box Price + Optional Sub for content or purchase what extra content you want via cash shop.

I dont. There is "Other" ;)

Waiting for L2 EU Classic

• ZooceZooce B, FLPosts: 586Member

Box price + Sub + fluff cash shop

Box price + Sub

Gladly pay a sub for worthwhile game to play.

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,345Member Uncommon
    I selected B2P, but any sub-free option is fine with me.  I don't plan on renting my games anymore.