Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo clone

baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

not saying this is a bad game but why is it that if a game is labeled a "wow clone" its automatically hated on but this game being a diablo clone gets praise?

not only is this game a diablo clone, some of it is a direct rip off.

from character selection to the inventory panel to the UI (and this is just from playing the game for 10 minutes, there is probably much more)

its actually pretty funny how blatantly they ripped off diablo.

whatever happened to these indie companies being more creative? isn't that why so many of you support them? or is it just because you hate the big companies like blizzard that make tons of money?

i am not trying to post flame bait, but the double standard just seems odd to me.

Comments

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Yes - no - maybe.

And I should add that Diablo 3 was reskinned Diablo 2. It added nothing much to the previous version.

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by baphamet

not saying this is a bad game but why is it that if a game is labeled a "wow clone" its automatically hated on but this game being a diablo clone gets praise?

from character selection to the inventory panel to the UI (and this is just from playing the game for 10 minutes, there is probably much more)

whatever happened to these indie companies being more creative? isn't that why so many of you support them? or is it just because you hate the big companies like blizzard that make tons of money?

i am not trying to post flame bait, but the double standard just seems odd to me.

I TOTALLY agree image

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Totally get your point but since D3 was a failure I'll take a D2 clone anyday but there are some major differences to Path of Exile. 
  • Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    You can't talk about path of exile like that!  Expect a mob with torches and pitchforks on your porch around 8pm tonight.
  • xenomxenom Member UncommonPosts: 116

maybe because the game has some actual depth and replayability in the end - ever looked at the skill tree or the "create a map system" ? that's something blizzard games started lacking way back ago :)

blizzard always does the combat system thing better than most (also with D3 and PoE) but the actual game depth is for 3 year olds in my opinion.

that's the reasons i play PoE over D3 as of now :P

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

because wow is crappy and even so its follow the D2 look and feel have diferent things the skill tree is only for passives skills you use gems, path of exile is more of D3 then the real D3 is, also since even the CS here is less troublesome then the paid auction house, this si still a win and they will not force you to pay to play the game too, you need more?

also complaining about double standard is useless, world is full of these and worse

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

If you think its a diablo clone then you havent looked at the skill tree, how they use currency, the fact that is has varius leagues, the skill gem and socketing system, or really anything beyond its surface appearance. Players have been waiting for a sequel to Diablo 2 for a long long time because the game style is awesome, Diablo 3 turned out to be nothing like Diablo 2, but luckly Path of Exile is like Diablo 2 enough to carry the torch.

Oh and did I mention is free to play and they arnt money grabbin?

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• ExzyzExzyz Member UncommonPosts: 70

WoW is shit, thats why people dont like WoW clones. 

Diablo 1-2 was great but D3 sucks. So PoE being a D2 clone is the perfect game to play for a slash rpg fán.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

I stilld on't see why "clone" word is used as derogatory term? I mean if it clones good gameplay mechanics what's wrong withthat? Gaming industry is not based on changing core concepts suddenly, it's about itteration and slow, step by step improvement of a concept. WoW was built upon the foundation of EQ and not completely invented from scratch overnight. 

Isometric ARPGs are very limited genre anyway and there is not much in terms of core gameplay mechanics that can and even should be improved. 

Should rather be called Diablo-like, just like there is genre called Rogue-like (which, actually was inspiration for first Diablo), because original Diablo spawned that genre pretty much. 

• Rew4nRew4n Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I would say it's more like inspiration.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Play Diablo 2, don't just remember it, and then play PoE. You'll quickly see that PoE takes everything good from D2 and adds even more to it. This is pure evolution whilst staying true to the roots in a way that D3 didn't fully manage to do. Plus, all ARPGs are clones.. the genre is too specific for them not to be. ARPG is not as broad a term as MMO.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

i dont see any double standard. i see a game filling a space that was left empty.

all anyone ever wanted was Diablo 2 in HD, at least thats all i wanted.. not a carebear overhaul to appease a greater audiance. So unlike this new diablo. Path of Exile actually allows me to allocate skill points. it doesnt do it for me. And the ability to use ANY power i flippin want by meeting basic requirements and an open slot on my weapons or armor that i can remove and replace at any time with no charge or hassel. sign me up.

have you even seen that skill tree? its glorious..

Did i mention its free.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by aleos

i dont see any double standard. i see a game filling a space that was left empty.

all anyone ever wanted was Diablo 2 in HD, at least thats all i wanted.. not a carebear overhaul to appease a greater audiance. So unlike this new diablo. Path of Exile actually allows me to allocate skill points. it doesnt do it for me. And the ability to use ANY power i flippin want by meeting basic requirements and an open slot on my weapons or armor that i can remove and replace at any time with no charge or hassel. sign me up.

have you even seen that skill tree? its glorious..

Did i mention its free.

More people play D3 than POE.

Some people care more about entertaining combat mechanics than graphical looks, in fact i would argue more do.

Your trading entertaining combat for graphics with POE...oh and its not blizzard, some people thats the largest factor in them enjoying a game apparently.

But yes, the game is kind of a D2 ripoff...however you really can make the argument that a 12 year old game has better combat.  Also itemization was far better in D2.  If D3 hadnt pissed off a minority of the D2 crowd POE wouldnt even be on the radar.  The fans are grossly inflating the games greatness.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Everyone agreed and knew that this was more or less a Diablo clone.  Don't see the big deal, not like countless other games based their game off a successful one.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    WoW, Diablo and Blizzard cloned 1st Edition Dungeons and Dragons.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Can you please elaborate on how PoE "...blatantly ripped off dablo."? The UI? Because the health / mana orbs are located left and right? And sure, character selection and the inventory panel define wether a game is good or bad. Are you for real? Why don't you tell us about the things who actually matter like the skill sysytem. Or the excellent active / support gem system which provides ground for tons of experimentation. Or the innovative barter system in place of the old currency one.

Remove your fanboy glasses and then you'll see that the F2P PoE puts the 60 euro DIII to shame.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

WoW cloned Warhammer

Warhammer cloned D&D

D&D cloned Tolkein and Wargame minatures.

Tolkein cloned WW2

WW2 cloned Evil

Evil Cloned Bible

Bible Cloned God

God

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Would have been nice if they had at least done male and female versions of all classes. The worst aspect of D1/ D2 that they decided to copy.
  • ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

PoE is a Diablo clone- if that is news to you, I'm not sure what to say.  The important concept is that it is a Diablo 1/2 clone and not a Diablo 3 clone.  Understand that, and I think you will eventually see the acusation as a complement for GGG.

Diablo 3 might've failed the genre on many fronts, but they definitely improved the public party with personal loot.  PoE stuck to the old FFA loot mode and fails to offer a decent cooperative public party experience.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

WoW cloned Warhammer

Warhammer cloned D&D

D&D cloned Tolkein and Wargame minatures.

Tolkein cloned WW2

WW2 cloned Evil

Evil Cloned Bible

Bible Cloned God

God

Yeah something like that.  The point being?  WoW, Diablo and Blizzard are not original concepts, the implementation of them through gameplay are though.

• xenomxenom Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by Aviggin
    Would have been nice if they had at least done male and female versions of all classes. The worst aspect of D1/ D2 that they decided to copy.

having every class in male & female costs lots of dev ressources on making the items look "classish + genderish". GGG = small dev team = just one gender makes perfectly sense as it does not add that much for that sort of game :)

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by xenom

having every class in male & female costs lots of dev ressources on making the items look "classish + genderish". GGG = small dev team = just one gender makes perfectly sense as it does not add that much for that sort of game :)

yeah - game started out as three guys in a garage and I think the entire team for the most part was like what?  Ten people?

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by xenom

Meh, I understand why it was done, but gender-locked classes are a big turn off for me. Still, I'll download it, 'cause at least Shadow looks somewhat fun.

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289

Sounds like to me that you're disgruntled that Borecraft and D3 continue to have bad marks while a new game like Path of Exile has merit. There's a big difference when a company makes a game that people truly want and not just rehash the same game over and over again. (Like that company you mentioned). They have an amazing setup and the game designers are more passionate about what they create. It's an art that was lost long ago but has been found again by a company willing to make a game worthy of contending with one of the best in so many people's eyes. I'd say that says quite a bit. :)

• aWRAYaWRAY Member Posts: 84

You played for 10 minutes... 

It probably took you more time to come up with this pointless thread