Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do today's gamer's even play MMO's for PVE anymore or is it all about ganking and pvp now?

Comments

• MischiffMischiff Member Posts: 169

I think its sad that you say "or ganking" sounds like u just dont like PVP ... while i admit most MMO's dont handle the pvp part of the game very well, ( most add it as an after thought actually it seems) ... and this can cause ganking (by that i mean, high levels just killing low B's cause they can ..) ... 

I love PVP, just havnt played any MMO's that do it right .. BG's is not pvp, and though it can be fun, i love open world PVP the best, and im usually the one getting ganked, but i still love how excited i get when i know im in a dangerous area.

if most MMO's would make it so once u was killed there was like a 20 min cooldown till that same person could kill u again, i wouldnt mind most people ganking me, cause it usually happens when im questing ... least if i had 20 mins till they could kill me again i could finish a quest or 2 ...

i actually like PVE also, but i hate raids ... doing the same thing over and over for a carrot on a stick itsnt my type of play.

Meaning full crafting is really fun .. but again, most MMO's dont know what that means .....IMHO

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Mischiff

I think its sad that you say "or ganking" sounds like u just dont like PVP ... while i admit most MMO's dont handle the pvp part of the game very well, ( most add it as an after thought actually it seems) ... and this can cause ganking (by that i mean, high levels just killing low B's cause they can ..) ... 

I love PVP, just havnt played any MMO's that do it right .. BG's is not pvp, and though it can be fun, i love open world PVP the best, and im usually the one getting ganked, but i still love how excited i get when i know im in a dangerous area.

if most MMO's would make it so once u was killed there was like a 20 min cooldown till that same person could kill u again, i wouldnt mind most people ganking me, cause it usually happens when im questing ... least if i had 20 mins till they could kill me again i could finish a quest or 2 ...

i actually like PVE also, but i hate raids ... doing the same thing over and over for a carrot on a stick itsnt my type of play.

Meaning full crafting is really fun .. but again, most MMO's dont know what that means .....IMHO

I think it's sad that 200 people argued what the OP presented without checking to see if it was factual or if it even made logical sense.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I think it's sad that 200 people argued what the OP presented without checking to see if it was factual or if it even made logical sense.

Now that's unfair. A fair number just showed up to add a snark to the general rabblerabble.

These is "GroupX the Problem?" threads always turn out so well.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• TickleMeHomoTickleMeHomo Member Posts: 28
    Am less pve but more pvp.But thats not the occasion anymore since iv didnt met other game after RF online RvsRvsR.I really adored that faction wars and small maps,getting ganked,knowing where most people are at atm asking the Archons (current kings) for help to rebel against other race for  ur fav pve spot.Was amazing game,but than slowly decaying and dieing away with promise for expansion since 2006 if i recall correctly wich never seen brigth day.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I voted Both, but I lean more toward PVE.  I just like MMOs that give me tons of options on what to do in any given gaming session.  For me, that marks the good MMOs from the bad.  Sadly, PVP itself tends to invite the worst type of mindset, but a well designed PVP system can help alleviate those types of individuals from having to much sway over others playtime. 

Sadly we see extremes these days leading both ways but more often towards PVP, such as Darkfall and it's open world full loot PVP or Eve and it's brutal social gameplay.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Now that's unfair. A fair number just showed up to add a snark to the general rabblerabble.

These is "GroupX the Problem?" threads always turn out so well.

Good point. It definitely does have some decent entertainment value.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Z3R01

Most MMO gamers Pve.

Its easier to keep pve players happy, Quests, Dailies, events, dungeons and some raids and you never hear from them.

Pvpers are very vocal. Always discussing balance issues and wanting more reasons to pvp.

So it seems they are the majority when the reality of it is they are the very few... they just stand on a soap box with a bullhorn so they get noticed more.

The fallacy of the silent majority: that all those who do not speak against me must agree with me.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    for me I won't play a mmo that doesn't have robust pvp endgame. I like some aspects if pve like crafting and exploring, even small scale dungeons.

But I hate hate hate being forced to raid to progress. Raiding sucks, raiding isn't fun, raiding is 2nd job - you have to turn up at a fixed time and deal with a whole mess of "office politics"
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by sakinah

The problem isnt pvp..The problem to me is that today  its all about harassing/ganking/insulting/trolling/greifing...Back in the days ppl would congratulate each other on thier acomplishment.Today they just insult/troll you for every little thing you fail.(Dota/LoL/HoN anyone?) :p

I love pvp in mmo or in any game in general but i really dont like this trend of  "I FKIN OWND YOU BITCH!I FKED YOUR MOM LAST NIGHT!YEAH!!!".

I think its poisonus and is slowly transforming totaly decent players into trolls.

If anything i want more pvp in my mmos but i just dont like the kind of crowd that it brings haha.

Wrong, you clearly haven't played LoL lately; you get banned for swearing or even blaming someone. 

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    for me I won't play a mmo that doesn't have robust pvp endgame. I like some aspects if pve like crafting and exploring, even small scale dungeons.

But I hate hate hate being forced to raid to progress. Raiding sucks, raiding isn't fun, raiding is 2nd job - you have to turn up at a fixed time and deal with a whole mess of "office politics"

Good post, And i think this is how many of us older gamers feel. We certainly dont have time for the silly raids (Atleast most of us) 

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by sakinah

The problem isnt pvp..The problem to me is that today  its all about harassing/ganking/insulting/trolling/greifing...Back in the days ppl would congratulate each other on thier acomplishment.Today they just insult/troll you for every little thing you fail.(Dota/LoL/HoN anyone?) :p

I love pvp in mmo or in any game in general but i really dont like this trend of  "I FKIN OWND YOU BITCH!I FKED YOUR MOM LAST NIGHT!YEAH!!!".

I think its poisonus and is slowly transforming totaly decent players into trolls.

If anything i want more pvp in my mmos but i just dont like the kind of crowd that it brings haha.

Wrong, you clearly haven't played LoL lately; you get banned for swearing or even blaming someone. 

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/online_gaming

Someone posted this in another thread, felt it fitted in here awell :)

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Madimorga
    Originally posted by dave6660
    Originally posted by SQTO

So what are these pvp centric mmorpgs ? I would love to try them.

I'm still trying to figure that out.  I asked about that earlier in the thread and didn't get much of an answer.  According to this site's game list, there have been about 250 games released since Jan 2008.  Of those which ones force PvP on the players... the only answer given was Aion.  That's 0.4% of the population.

How can anyone complain when they own 99% of the market share?

Eve Online has forced PvP.  Darkfall is forced PvP so is Mortal Online, Archeage seems like it will be (sad to say, otherwise I'd play it in a heartbeat), Age of Wushu/Wulin is forced PvP, and many games have PvP servers.

Personally, I'm not interested in either getting ganked all the time when out in the open world or having to run around with 20 people everywhere I go to not get ganked, so these games don't remotely appeal to me even though I love being able to go to an area with large scale PvP if and when I choose to.

Don't forget about Anarchy Online end game being all about PvP or Warhammer Online.  There were also Lineage and Lineage II and now there is Planetside 2, Mechwarrior Online, Dust 514 and Hawken Online.  I'm sure if I did more research or you guys did a little yourselves (dave & SQTO), I'd find more or you'd realize you haven't a clue about what you're saying.

I'll do more research when you learn to read.  I said forced PvP in the last 5 years.

Anarchy Online is 12 years old.

Warhammer Online has PvE servers.

Planetside 2 I already counted.

Mechwarrior Online is not an mmorpg.

Dust 514 is console game.

Lineage 1 & 2 are older than 5 years.

I've never heard of Hawken until right now.  I'll count it.

That brings us up to 5 games out of 250.

PvE game 98% vs PvP games 2%.

Those PvP game are sure dominating the market.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

I'm still trying to figure that out.  I asked about that earlier in the thread and didn't get much of an answer.  According to this site's game list, there have been about 250 games released since Jan 2008.  Of those which ones force PvP on the players... the only answer given was Aion.  That's 0.4% of the population.

Eve Online has forced PvP.  Darkfall is forced PvP so is Mortal Online, Archeage seems like it will be (sad to say, otherwise I'd play it in a heartbeat), Age of Wushu/Wulin is forced PvP, and many games have PvP servers.

Personally, I'm not interested in either getting ganked all the time when out in the open world or having to run around with 20 people everywhere I go to not get ganked, so these games don't remotely appeal to me even though I love being able to go to an area with large scale PvP if and when I choose to.

Don't forget about Anarchy Online end game being all about PvP or Warhammer Online.  There were also Lineage and Lineage II and now there is Planetside 2, Mechwarrior Online, Dust 514 and Hawken Online.  I'm sure if I did more research or you guys did a little yourselves (dave & SQTO), I'd find more or you'd realize you haven't a clue about what you're saying.

I'll do more research when you learn to read.  I said forced PvP in the last 5 years.

I'm sorry, why does it have to be only within the last 5 years?  These games are still running are they not?  Dust 514 is still an MMO, doesn't matter that it is for a console.  Mechwarrior is labeled as an MMO, doesn't matter if you don't agree with it.  Warhammer was a PvP focused game, all the servers were the same.  The point I was making is that there are a good number of PvP focused games considering that PvP is a very niche game style, so yes, you are more than amply represented in the MMO genre.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Once you reach a certain level...  you realize than unless they are ;LAN party, or playing by your side, then if it's Player vs Player... there will always be one insecure little kid, who is hack-raging.

So, playing a PvP game is nearly pointless..!!,    .. unless ur another hacktard, who has something to prove.

(Don't beleive me, wait to see if BF4 has BR back)

PS: don't forget Shadowbane !

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

I'm sorry, why does it have to be only within the last 5 years?  These games are still running are they not?  Dust 514 is still an MMO, doesn't matter that it is for a console.  Mechwarrior is labeled as an MMO, doesn't matter if you don't agree with it.  Warhammer was a PvP focused game, all the servers were the same.  The point I was making is that there are a good number of PvP focused games considering that PvP is a very niche game style, so yes, you are more than amply represented in the MMO genre.

The 5yr limit is logical enough, otherwise it's like saying that plate armour is well represented in warfare. Dust514 is an FPS, Mechwarrior is not an MMO, how can a PVE server of Warhammer be PvP focused?

if you are including FPSs then PvE is the niche play style as they are far more popular than MMOs.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by RefMinor

The 5yr limit is logical enough, otherwise it's like saying that plate armour is well represented in warfare. Dust514 is an FPS, Mechwarrior is not an MMO, how can a PVE server of Warhammer be PvP focused?

if you are including FPSs then PvE is the niche play style as they are far more popular than MMOs.

So now you are changing the argument so that it can only be over RPG style MMOs?  Limiting the style doesn't change the principle of the argument, you are still amply represented for such a small audience.  Did you ever play Warhammer Online?  The whole game funneled you into PvP in order to progress and end game was nothing other than instance runs and PvP, but I guess you're going to change the guidelines of the argument no matter what I say.  I was inducted into the Mechwarrior Online beta and they called it an MMO, I don't give a crap if you don't agree.  MMOs are MMOs whether they are RPGs, FPSs or RTSs and you aren't convincing me or anyone else that PvP is being shafted in their representation in the genre.  Whether it is forced or not, just about every single MMO has it as an option.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Honestly i prefer PVE over PVP. the only time i have signed into any PvP is when its meaningful PVP. not just YAY i ganked somone, It's more of a "Yay i defended my Territory".

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

I don't play PvP oriented games.  Tried to play Aion and when I was doing some questing out in the PvP area, it wasn't really fun having level 50s gank you when you're level 30.  I did some BGs in WoW for fun because I was playing with some friends, but the majority of my time spent playing that game was either questing or raiding.

FFXIV is the only MMO I plan on playing for the long term.  It's planned to have some PvP elements, but they're not supposed to shape the game in any major way.  I'll probably treat it like WoW and dabble in PvP some, but I'll stick to the PvE elements more.

I grew up as a console RPGer with the Final Fantasies and Dragon Quests, so that's probably why I'm more influenced by PvE.  I mostly care about the stories that games have to offer.

So now you are changing the argument so that it can only be over RPG style MMOs?  Limiting the style doesn't change the principle of the argument, you are still amply represented for such a small audience.  Did you ever play Warhammer Online?  The whole game funneled you into PvP in order to progress and end game was nothing other than instance runs and PvP, but I guess you're going to change the guidelines of the argument no matter what I say.  I was inducted into the Mechwarrior Online beta and they called it an MMO, I don't give a crap if you don't agree.  MMOs are MMOs whether they are RPGs, FPSs or RTSs and you aren't convincing me or anyone else that PvP is being shafted in their representation in the genre.  Whether it is forced or not, just about every single MMO has it as an option.

I believe you think I am Dave6660 from your reply.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    I enjoy PVE a lot more than PVP that is the reason why i still play games like EQ2 and Vanguard more than any other MMO on market.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Why not 5 years?  It's a nice round number.  It's long enough to represent a large chunk of games.  They're mostly games with which most current players would be familiar.

Whether or not the PvP players are adequately represented isn't the point.  The premise of this thread is that players of today are all about "ganking and pvp".  How could that be if PvP is so rarely forced on anyone?  You don't seem to agree with the OP either if you think PvP is a "very niche" play style.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

While I disagree with the plate armor analogy because for that to work plate armor would still have to be worn on the body in modern warfare (could be an argument for this with some body armor though), I do agree with the 5 year span.

It may not represent the entire MMO market, but it does represent the type of games that are being produced.

I do not limit to MMORPG, but consider all MMO.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.

Yeah but I think he's mad at you.  image

-- Herman Melville

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

While I disagree with the plate armor analogy because for that to work plate armor would still have to be worn on the body, I do agree with the 5 year span.

It may not represent the entire MMO market, but it does represent the type of games that are being produced.

I do not limit to MMORPG, but consider all MMO.

I'm going to wear plate armor to Comic-Con this year :)

-- Herman Melville

Yeah but I think he's mad at you.  image

I feel ganked