Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you support a Sandbox MMO Developer if the studio....

2»

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Suraknar
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Who is going to pay to create a game that promises that it will never make a profit for them?

And how are you going to get players to create artwork for you?  You can't just take arbitrary artwork, stick it in a game, and expect it to work.

It is actually very possible.

Pirates of the Burning Sea did this, most Ship models were made by the players. And also players can make thier own Sails and Flags.

He's not talking about models. He's talking about consistency and continuity in theme and appearance. The players made many of the ship models, but could you imagine what the world would look like if they made the textures for their ships? Or the towns? or the cllothing? Imagine the icons if they were done in 30 different art styles.

It's all rather moot, as the OP's suggestion completely ignores the realities of business.... well, it ignores reality altogether.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I voted no because of the "voting by the community".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Does putting 100% of excess profit into the game mean no marketing?
  • WindamereWindamere Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    I wouldnt support a sandbox with 1 red penny of my hard earn money.  It's the worst gameplay imaginable and it fosters the worst community possible.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Obviously has "Not" tried :  www.wurmonline.com

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by krage
    For the sake of your discussion, lets assume it is a solid game to your specific standards of gameplay in the fantasy setting since that is very common.

Not necessarily a good game then, just well-sellingpoint-marketed?

Those haven't really been doing too well, following opening day, for the last decade or so.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by mmoguy43
    Does putting 100% of excess profit into the game mean no marketing?

Good, point.  How to market without a budget?

How about a player reward system that is like a pyramid scheme.   A person can get other players to join the game with a special passcode.  These joiners will earn the inviter points per hour they play.  Joiners are players so they to can invite new players to the game and earn points for themselves.  Extra points would be passed up the pyramid.  These points can be used to buy things like guild housing, gear, unlockable appearances, etc.  So it would be a player based marketing.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    I really don't care about any of that, all I care about is if the game is fun.  I think most players couldn't care less about the details, just the end result.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by krage

So in summary this company :

-Crowdsources+Subscriber votes on aesthetics/cosmetic items/lore/soundtracks for faster and more custom implementation

-Rolls all excess profits into expanding/bettering the game 

-Very anti pay to win

-Interested in creating a vast virtual world with sandbox and themepark components

If that company was going through kickstarter + private funding + a playable/viewable tech demo that made all financial records public to prove profits rolled into the game, and adhered to majority vote for crowdsourced creative content...would you support this with you wallet?

Please comment your thoughts comments and concerns for discussion.

No, you cannot PROVE your game is going to be that until its deep into development and thus I would not throw my money at companies giving "promises"...ive seen that far too many times while major studios are making MMOs to drum up hype the game never lives up to due to the lies.

Also, things like subscribers vote on things to impliment, merely opens the door for majority rule, just because the majority wants it, doesnt mean I want it...in fact, going by majority, I dont like PvP...yet I have been in a mostly PvP guild since Meridian 59...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I would support a non-profit MMO developer with the following stipulations... 

A portion of the excess revenue is used to start and fund a scholarship program for game design. 

The developer would have to have heavy ties with schools and hire students as well as allow accredited internships for students. 

If this is to be a non-profit developer and MMO then it should serve some purpose beyond making an MMO. 

Reduce the fee to 4.99 to 9.99 a month. Allow a broader community development setup (Allow the community to vote on a wider selection of things to be introduced into the game world such as mechanics, classes, etc.) to give a better range of experience opportunities for the hired students and interns. 

Use the MMO as a launching pad for future game designers and you'd have my vote and support.