Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This can't be true?

VallistaVallista Member UncommonPosts: 282
While I'm not the biggest of Elder Scrolls series, if I'm reading whats true about this game, well this might be finally the game I'm looking for.  I'm hoping Bethesda and Zenimax have the good sense not to allow people to play different factions on the same server.  Its what ruin Wow, rift, should I keep going?  It's also nice for a group to finally give us what players have been looking for awhile now.  Lets hope.  I'm begging there is true rvr in this title. 

Comments

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by Vallista
    While I'm not the biggest of Elder Scrolls series, if I'm reading whats true about this game, well this might be finally the game I'm looking for.  I'm hoping Bethesda and Zenimax have the good sense not to allow people to play different factions on the same server.  Its what ruin Wow, rift, should I keep going?  It's also nice for a group to finally give us what players have been looking for awhile now.  Lets hope.  I'm begging there is true rvr in this title. 

They don't have shards. It's one big megaserver. Instead they'll have something like instances which you get to pick and choose depending on your playstyle and other preferrences... And I guess you'll be able to change that, or it'd be really inconvenient for the player.

So, the "just one faction on one server" probably won't apply, seeing as they won't have servers in the traditional sense.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Can create many characters on the one sever. Unfortunately that Sidesteps your feeling of 'safety'...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Nikopol

They don't have shards. It's one big megaserver. Instead they'll have something like instances which you get to pick and choose depending on your playstyle and other preferrences... And I guess you'll be able to change that, or it'd be really inconvenient for the player.

So, the "just one faction on one server" probably won't apply, seeing as they won't have servers in the traditional sense.

THis is true but for PvP you get assigned a campaign when you enter cyrodiil, that campaign is perminant and to change compaigns will cost you allience points (pvp progression). Also if you roll an alt on the other faction you will be locked out of the campaign your mains/mains guild is on to prevent cheating

Originally posted by deakon
    Originally posted by Nikopol Originally posted by Vallista While I'm not the biggest of Elder Scrolls series, if I'm reading whats true about this game, well this might be finally the game I'm looking for.  I'm hoping Bethesda and Zenimax have the good sense not to allow people to play different factions on the same server.  Its what ruin Wow, rift, should I keep going?  It's also nice for a group to finally give us what players have been looking for awhile now.  Lets hope.  I'm begging there is true rvr in this title. 
    They don't have shards. It's one big megaserver. Instead they'll have something like instances which you get to pick and choose depending on your playstyle and other preferrences... And I guess you'll be able to change that, or it'd be really inconvenient for the player. So, the "just one faction on one server" probably won't apply, seeing as they won't have servers in the traditional sense.  
    THis is true but for PvP you get assigned a campaign when you enter cyrodiil, that campaign is perminant and to change compaigns will cost you allience points (pvp progression). Also if you roll an alt on the other faction you will be locked out of the campaign your mains/mains guild is on to prevent cheating

Not that i don't believe you, but can you link a source for the sake of community knowledge?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Vallista While I'm not the biggest of Elder Scrolls series, if I'm reading whats true about this game, well this might be finally the game I'm looking for.  I'm hoping Bethesda and Zenimax have the good sense not to allow people to play different factions on the same server.  Its what ruin Wow, rift, should I keep going?  It's also nice for a group to finally give us what players have been looking for awhile now.  Lets hope.  I'm begging there is true rvr in this title. 
    They don't have shards. It's one big megaserver. Instead they'll have something like instances which you get to pick and choose depending on your playstyle and other preferrences... And I guess you'll be able to change that, or it'd be really inconvenient for the player. So, the "just one faction on one server" probably won't apply, seeing as they won't have servers in the traditional sense.  

Not that i don't believe you, but can you link a source for the sake of community knowledge?

I too would like where this is coming from.   Intresting concepts but questions remain like how does one change their main sense time to time people like to change up.  Are there multiple campaigns (as a way to hinder an overly populated faction)?  The biggest question for ZM is how they will address a faction population imbalance.  For instance I'm betting that Ebonheart (granted the poll here is proving otherwise but my guild site 3 out of 4 round bouts are going with Ebonheart) will have a dominating population and it will be a consecutive zergfest winnings for them.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I don't like this system, it doesn't work well in tsw and sto.

Wish they'd just used traditional servers, as that would make the pvp more honest and allow alternative ruleset servers to be developed e.g. ffa server with guild based warfare, pure pve server with cross faction guilds / grouping.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I don't like this system, it doesn't work well in tsw and sto.Wish they'd just used traditional servers, as that would make the pvp more honest and allow alternative ruleset servers to be developed e.g. ffa server with guild based warfare, pure pve server with cross faction guilds / grouping.

They may surprise you, Using virtual servers to change rule sets..

IF people really don't like their concept.

I will elaborate:
    Using the current system of pairing you with like minded individuals, They could set up a sub category for people that like "traditional open world pvp" thereby creating a new channel or phase for people that want to play that way.

Yeah but that's in the phase.

They can't do stuff like let you visit enemy lands with that. Which they can with a ff server

They can't let you make guilds and do dungeons with other factions with that, well they could but it would fuck up pvp like with tsw.

It still won't remove cross realm cheseing
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Vallista While I'm not the biggest of Elder Scrolls series, if I'm reading whats true about this game, well this might be finally the game I'm looking for.  I'm hoping Bethesda and Zenimax have the good sense not to allow people to play different factions on the same server.  Its what ruin Wow, rift, should I keep going?  It's also nice for a group to finally give us what players have been looking for awhile now.  Lets hope.  I'm begging there is true rvr in this title. 

Sure np.

"There will be a campaign that you sign up for individually or as a guild. For as long as you go into Cyrodiil, you are going into that version of Cyrodiil and that campaign. You can always go help out your buddies in their campaign if they need help, but there is a bit of a restriction on that. We don’t want players to hop back and forth frequently to help out friends. We don’t want to have a situation where it’s like “OK, everybody flood this campaign tonight”. We have restrictions on that so that the campaign doesn’t get flooded and overloaded, also we want you to feel like while it is a megaserver, this is your home and your community. I want to play with these people that I see in this campaign all the time."

"You can switch off, which will cost some alliance points, but we don’t want to lock you in to a campaign that you don’t want to play in the first place. So there is some freedom when you first get into the game."

link

and:

"TF: Again on the megaserver, your faction choice becomes a bit less rigid then it might be in a multi-server game. How is that going to be handled? Especially with regard to if you want to make an alt someday?

MF: Yeah, so your different characters can be in different alliances, but since your character is tied to a campaign for PvP, we obviously can’t have everyone in the entire game in a single PvP battlefield. We are going to have multiple campaigns running which are multiple versions of our PvP battleground. Your character is tied to an alliance in a campaign, so you can have a character in another alliance, but in a different campaign.

TF: So you will be taking measures to restrict people from joining the same campaign on multiple factions?

PS: Absolutely, when you sign up for a campaign, your guild will be associated with a certain campaign as well. You won’t be able to have a character from one alliance in the same campaign as an alt in a different alliance. We don’t want you to stack the deck so to speak."

link

Sounds like lots of gw2 style all pile on the biggest server cheese for the first few months.

Why let people change campaign at all

Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by deakon Originally posted by Nikopol Originally posted by Vallista While I'm not the biggest of Elder Scrolls series, if I'm reading whats true about this game, well this might be finally the game I'm looking for.  I'm hoping Bethesda and Zenimax have the good sense not to allow people to play different factions on the same server.  Its what ruin Wow, rift, should I keep going?  It's also nice for a group to finally give us what players have been looking for awhile now.  Lets hope.  I'm begging there is true rvr in this title. 
    Sure np.

"There will be a campaign that you sign up for individually or as a guild. For as long as you go into Cyrodiil, you are going into that version of Cyrodiil and that campaign. You can always go help out your buddies in their campaign if they need help, but there is a bit of a restriction on that. We don’t want players to hop back and forth frequently to help out friends. We don’t want to have a situation where it’s like “OK, everybody flood this campaign tonight”. We have restrictions on that so that the campaign doesn’t get flooded and overloaded, also we want you to feel like while it is a megaserver, this is your home and your community. I want to play with these people that I see in this campaign all the time."

"You can switch off, which will cost some alliance points, but we don’t want to lock you in to a campaign that you don’t want to play in the first place. So there is some freedom when you first get into the game."

link

and:

"TF: Again on the megaserver, your faction choice becomes a bit less rigid then it might be in a multi-server game. How is that going to be handled? Especially with regard to if you want to make an alt someday?

MF: Yeah, so your different characters can be in different alliances, but since your character is tied to a campaign for PvP, we obviously can’t have everyone in the entire game in a single PvP battlefield. We are going to have multiple campaigns running which are multiple versions of our PvP battleground. Your character is tied to an alliance in a campaign, so you can have a character in another alliance, but in a different campaign.

TF: So you will be taking measures to restrict people from joining the same campaign on multiple factions?

PS: Absolutely, when you sign up for a campaign, your guild will be associated with a certain campaign as well. You won’t be able to have a character from one alliance in the same campaign as an alt in a different alliance. We don’t want you to stack the deck so to speak."

link

Alright thanks mate, Gona go read the articles now :)

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    So if you join a campaign on an alt, you join a different campaign, not the same as your main...I thinkthat's what he's saying
    Sounds like lots of gw2 style all pile on the biggest server cheese for the first few months.

Why let people change campaign at all

Well if you join a campaign before joining a guild or change guilds later and theyre on a different campaign it would suck, there has to be some way of changing, and as long as the cost is high enough it shouldnt be an issue.

Easy solution to the swapping system that gw2 suffered with is to not show how popular/balanced each campaign is until you've joined that way changing campaigns not only costs you pvp progression but is also a lottory on wether or not you end up in a better or worse situation

Also you can help by joining your friends campaign, wtf?

Look at recent mmos. Planetside 2 is tight.on players, you can't transfer servers, you can't have characters in other factions on same server, you cant make a guest appearance on your friends server.

And it is much much much better balanced than gw2, tsw, swtor, wow etc..
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Just get rid of factions like the good old days! Stupid easy developed games anything to ruin our experience and save themselves money.
  • iamthekilleriamthekiller Member Posts: 93
    I see they have begun the hyping and smoke blowing process! Interesting infos...but I will patiently wait to see what's actually in the game..I'm tired of being mislead by devs and PR agents. I have a gut feeling this game will flop, hopefully it doesn't but I can't shake the feeling. Wait and see approach for me!
    Deacon
    Having to reroll would be a good cost deterrent. Loosing some alliance points, meh, people will exploit the hell out if it.
  • Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166

keep in mind WoW used to be like this and not allow diffrent faction players on the same server...untill they dummbed down the game to the point where any 10yr old kid looking for a candy can play it now. I still dont think ESO did it right though considering thhey removed 1/2 of the map for each faction....so when you get this game your paying for 1/2 a game cuz of the faction lock, unless u create more than one char wich i hardly never do....

Deacon
    Having to reroll would be a good cost deterrent. Loosing some alliance points, meh, people will exploit the hell out if it.

Having to re-roll everytime you change a guild would be an awfull idea imo, and we cant say losing AP will be meh until we know how valuable AP is and what the AP cost of changing is.

And like I say if they make it that you cant see the details of the campaign your changing to, I cant see how it can be exploited effectively

Thor
    Or copy daoc more.
    Have a number of servers with a core ruleset where pve and pvp are separated, this server would suit both people who like faction pride and rvr (daoc, planetside, war types) AND your more wow style players that like occasional pvp.

Have ffa servers, which while not full on sandbox would certainly hit the hybrid category like daoc mordred and ac darktide. This server would suit darkfall fans, pvp server in other game fans, people who value holding territory as a guild. People who like to travel everywhere and are of a on bent

Have coop servers, which would suit your more EQ style player, let people make guilds with members of other factions and explore all the lands, cut out pvp or remove all pvp rewards so that pvp is just for fun and can't be cheesed by trading keeps etc..

That would work much better than all this silly megaserver nonsense and be attractive to more player types.
  • iamthekilleriamthekiller Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Dantae87

keep in mind WoW used to be like this and not allow diffrent faction players on the same server...untill they dummbed down the game to the point where any 10yr old kid looking for a candy can play it now. I still dont think ESO did it right though considering thhey removed 1/2 of the map for each faction....so when you get this game your paying for 1/2 a game cuz of the faction lock, unless u create more than one char wich i hardly never do....

Stop pretending like wow was so hard back then..I played it as well and a 10 year old could easily play it just fine. It's so pitiful watching people try to act like vanilla wow was the pinnacle of a hard mmo. If you choose not to roll another character then your choosing not to play 1/2 the game..nobody is locking it away from you.

Wouldn't be every time you change guild though. Most people would be start enough to change to a guild in the same campaign. I mean what do you do in server based mmos, you look for another guild on your server or you reroll elsewhere.
    Wouldn't be every time you change guild though. Most people would be start enough to change to a guild in the same campaign. I mean what do you do in server based mmos, you look for another guild on your server or you reroll elsewhere.

Or you have the option of changing server

Well yeah you can change server in some games, but typically they tend to be instanced pvp games and it costs you real money.
  • NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Sure np.

link

and:

link

Deakon, thanks for that, I missed that bit of information. Sounds better than I thought.