Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game friendly to new players?

I played Darkfall for a long time until the population on EU dwindled away, and the new beta in my opinion sucks compared to the old DF. I bought and played MO as soon as it came out too and thought it was really good in many ways, but way too buggy and just lost interest, but I've seen it popping up a lot of MMO sites like this one and am wondering if its worth trying out again.

I love sandbox MMOs, and I'm hearing some good things about MO recently so I thought I might give it another try, but it's been such a long time and I'm wondering if I'll be able to catch up starting fresh. Is it worth making a new account now, and if so, will I be able to catch up with the veterans?

Comments

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

In my opinion, it's definitely worth playing if you're looking for a fantasy sandbox game.

Oddly enough, MMORPG.com released a review of it today:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/361/view/news/read/26624/Mortal-Online-Free-to-Play-But-Not-BugFree.html

Overall, it's a pretty fair review, at least at a "tutorial" level.  I'd have given it a little higher score here and there, especially for innovation, and there are significant parts of the game that the review did not touch upon.  The game does still have bugs, but is a night and day difference from launch. and continues to improve slowly but surely.

As far as being competitive, it doesn't take too long to build your character.  Characters have a skill cap, which is what keeps everyone from being able to do everything.  Getting primary skills to max doesn't take long, the secondaries can take a bit longer, but you can be competitive within a couple to few weeks, depending on how much you play.

In my opinion, the community is great.  Sure, it's an FFA, full-loot game, so you'll likely run into some asshats.  Every game has them.  But, there's a very large segment of the community that's very helpful toward newcomers, often assisting or running events to aid them.

The game is now free to play, so I'd recommend going that route, and trying it for yourself to see if you like it.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Kenshin_HimuraKenshin_Himura Member Posts: 75

I tried to register an account as soon as they went free 2 play and said that I created the account successfully but to complete the process MUST check my email and do so..... never got an email from them so I let it go, today saw this thread and went back tried to create another account and still no email yet :( maybe free 2play is just an ad to get people to buy it?

edit: this is what I get now if I try to log in: "Your account needs to be activated before you can login. Please check your email for activation instructions." the thing is I don't get an email.

edit: Looks like @comcast.net is an email they don't understand I used gmail and it worked.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    Originally posted by Rohn

Overall, it's a pretty fair review, at least at a "tutorial" level.  I'd have given it a little higher score here and there, especially for innovation, and there are significant parts of the game that the review did not touch upon.  

I am not so sure about the "innovative" part. In my eyes, they didn't really create that many innovative mechanics or solutions, but just made complex and realistic systems which is not quite innovation per se. Sure MO is different from your generic MMO themepark but for some reason I find it hard to call that innovation.

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

If you're cool with a game that has one full time developer and one part time developer then Mortal is OK.  Don't expect bug fixes or updates in a timely manner... 2 years being a not unheard of turnaround time for a fix.

The major issue in the game is the 'prediction system' so combat skill is all about learning how to abuse it to your advantage i.e. make it look like you are running right on someone elses screen when you are actually running left for the back shot.

The second big issue is the guard system which is easily abused.  Players can split groups - group A pull the guards to one direction while group B can attack people freely inside cities.  Don't assume you are safe in an NPC city - you are not, and make sure you have /guards set to a macro key.

The third issue is that the game has suffered something like 10-15 different cases of duping bugs.  The economy has been comeplete shit from day 1 due to this.  Many of the dupers have quit by now, but the long term effects are still there.

The fourth issue is that the AI is really terrible.  Mobs behave very stupidly, so PVE ranges from boring to rediculous.

There are more issues of course... but those are the highlights.

• DoomtecDoomtec Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by psykobilly

If you're cool with a game that has one full time developer and one part time developer then Mortal is OK.  Don't expect bug fixes or updates in a timely manner... 2 years being a not unheard of turnaround time for a fix.

The major issue in the game is the 'prediction system' so combat skill is all about learning how to abuse it to your advantage i.e. make it look like you are running right on someone elses screen when you are actually running left for the back shot.

The second big issue is the guard system which is easily abused.  Players can split groups - group A pull the guards to one direction while group B can attack people freely inside cities.  Don't assume you are safe in an NPC city - you are not, and make sure you have /guards set to a macro key.

The third issue is that the game has suffered something like 10-15 different cases of duping bugs.  The economy has been comeplete shit from day 1 due to this.  Many of the dupers have quit by now, but the long term effects are still there.

The fourth issue is that the AI is really terrible.  Mobs behave very stupidly, so PVE ranges from boring to rediculous.

sounds like you havn't played since release. how about you stop spewing mis-information?

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    It´s definitely worth trying if your into sandbox MMOs. But I wouldn´t call it friendly for new players. The first few hours/days in MO can be pretty hard. Thankfully there are alot of people ingame and at the forums that help new players out. But MO is a tough world live in. And I for one, love that. But do test the F2P-thingy at least.

In answer to the OP, the game has a F2P trial at the moment. Give it a shot!

I recommend you start in Tindrem, so that you gain access to the tutorial.

The Help channel is VERY useful. Many people, including myself, spend a lot of time helping new players. And you will need it....this game has more depth and "sand in the box" than pretty much any sandbox MMO.

Helpful hints:

Stable your pets, or if it is a mount, mount it, before logging out.

DO NOT attack or loot anything with a blue or yellow name tag.

be really careful swinging weapons. You mentioned you played Darkfall, so you probably remember the pricks who used to jump in front of you in goblin spans to get you grey flagged?? yeah....those guys are here too....the difference is if they grey flag you in town, the guards will kill you very quickly.

WATCH for pick-pockets and thieves!!! Instead of carrying 2 gold, convert it to 200 silver at a merchant. It makes it weigh too much to be easily stolen without you noticing. If someone does pick your pocket, hold block and click attack....it will push them, and most likely flag them as a criminal....then you or the guards can kill them and you can retrieve your loot.

Have fun!

• GenadiGenadi Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Originally posted by Doomtec

sounds like you havn't played since release. how about you stop spewing mis-information?

Yet you fail to point out what he said was wrong, because most of what he said is correct.

GM's are very corrupt and still go unchecked scouting for friends etc, everyone playing knows and it's the reason most guilds quit. Prediction system is actually worse now also. Economy is still broken because of duped items GM's and devs failed to take out 2 years ago.

Played 2 days ago.

Great potential unfortunately the wrong people are behind it.

The population left are 95% griefers, hackers, dupers and exploiters.

• argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300
    OP to answer your question: NO Mortal Online is not friendly to new players. Its not even friendly to old players. Theres a neverending trial that you can test it for yourself without throwing any money to those people, cause my opinion is that they dont deserve any money. Please give it a go if you will be lucky enough to install the game and make an account, come back to us and share your experiences and thoughts concerning the game.

Whats the "mis-information" he is spewing? You made me read his post twice and it seems preety accurate except the fact he is been very generous with the 10-15 cases of duping.

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

I mention the new guard system and it 'sounds like I havent played since release'.   What it sounds like is that you are brand new to the game and don't understand any of the issues I mention.  You are another fail troll who can't back up anything they say.

• Thanks for all the replies! I downloaded and installed it to try it out again, but it wouldn't patch properly and I couldn't seem to fix it so I just uninstalled. Reading through these replies though I'm motivated to try and install it again xD

If I manage to get it to work and try it, I'll post here to let you all know how I found it, and whether its really as good or bad as some people are saying it is. Thanks everyone.

Originally posted by jadsta

Thanks for all the replies! I downloaded and installed it to try it out again, but it wouldn't patch properly and I couldn't seem to fix it so I just uninstalled. Reading through these replies though I'm motivated to try and install it again xD

If I manage to get it to work and try it, I'll post here to let you all know how I found it, and whether its really as good or bad as some people are saying it is. Thanks everyone.

good luck! Thanks for taking the time to try the game yourself, instead of forming a pre-conception based on the notorious haters on this forum image

[mod edit]

The truth is that MO is a good game, made by a small, struggling company. Most certainly one of the best sandbox MMORPGs ever created.[mod edit]

Thanks for all the replies! I downloaded and installed it to try it out again, but it wouldn't patch properly and I couldn't seem to fix it so I just uninstalled. Reading through these replies though I'm motivated to try and install it again xD

good luck on installing the game, you certainly gonna need it! Thanks for taking the time to try the game yourself _ cause Henrik himself promissed me that i will get one penny for every trial that will log into the game-  instead of forming a pre-conception based on the painful true facts that the "notorious haters" spreading on this forum image

To said haters: your responses to me, and their hateful nature, only serve to demonstrate your passionate dislike for this game, and to illustrate your agenda while at the same time you are making my life miserable by simply telling the truth, since i m being paid for few dollars and my line of work is kinda similar of the magician since i have to advertise a broken to the core game with few children pretending that developing it, hardly playable, with corrupted GM's that running around free to grief at will paying customers, with insane downtimes even now almost 3 years after release with a lovely forum that people are able to speak ONLY about how awesome MO is, how hansom is our CEO etc etc and all the rest are getting banned or their posts are being removed.

The truth is that MO is hardly a game, made by a small company thats running the game in life support for the last 2 and half years, with unethical tacticks, constant lies, overhyping and underdelivering. Most certainly one of the worst sandbox MMORPGs ever created, if you can consider it as a sandbox at all. Why this offends you is beyond me, but I've never understood the mentality of those who dwell on these forums with the intention of filling every thread with true facts against a few of us that trying to do our job and convince sandbox followers to buy "sea weed in place of silk ribbons".

Fixed it a bit for ya. Cheers.

Disclaimer: This is not the original post thats being quoted from the user with the nick Doomtec. Its a humoristic attempt to send a message to him and the other posters reading those forums concerning the way i read his posts and the agenda that forces him to do so. The fact only that he is thanking the OP for taking the time to install a game makes me laugh and backs up my way of thinking while at the same time draws a very thick line that seperates him from the majority of the other posters who can be considered as gamers.

Originally posted by argirop

good luck on installing the game, you certainly gonna need it! Thanks for taking the time to try the game yourself _ cause Henrik himself promissed me that i will get one penny for every trial that will log into the game-  instead of forming a pre-conception based on the painful true facts that the "notorious haters" spreading on this forum image

To said haters: your responses to me, and their hateful nature, only serve to demonstrate your passionate dislike for this game, and to illustrate your agenda while at the same time you are making my life miserable by simply telling the truth, since i m being paid for few dollars and my line of work is kinda similar of the magician since i have to advertise a broken to the core game with few children pretending that developing it, hardly playable, with corrupted GM's that running around free to grief at will paying customers, with insane downtimes even now almost 3 years after release with a lovely forum that people are able to speak ONLY about how awesome MO is, how hansom is our CEO etc etc and all the rest are getting banned or their posts are being removed.

The truth is that MO is hardly a game, made by a small company thats running the game in life support for the last 2 and half years, with unethical tacticks, constant lies, overhyping and underdelivering. Most certainly one of the worst sandbox MMORPGs ever created, if you can consider it as a sandbox at all. Why this offends you is beyond me, but I've never understood the mentality of those who dwell on these forums with the intention of filling every thread with true facts against a few of us that trying to do our job and convince sandbox followers to buy "sea weed in place of silk ribbons".

Fixed it a bit for ya. Cheers.

Disclaimer: This is not the original post thats being quoted from the user with the nick Doomtec. Its a humoristic attempt to send a message to him and the other posters reading those forums concerning the way i read his posts and the agenda that forces him to do so. The fact only that he is thanking the OP for taking the time to install a game makes me laugh and backs up my way of thinking while at the same time draws a very thick line that seperates him from the majority of the other posters who can be considered as gamers.

I really don't need my post "fixed" by you, or the mods here. But once again, you both have demonstrated why the majority of the gaming community avoids this place like the plague, and laughs about the sad little trolls hating on games all day.

Hell, I only poke my nose in here every few months to see if anything has changed. It hasn't. Pathetic.

I really don't need my post "fixed" by you, or the mods here. But once again, you both have demonstrated why the majority of the gaming community avoids this place like the plague, and laughs about the sad little trolls hating on games all day.

Hell, I only poke my nose in here every few months to see if anything has changed. It hasn't. Pathetic.

Man chill out. Lets take some facts from the beggining: you coming in here blatantly advertising a broken game that 10ths of thousands people tried and no more than few hundreds playing. You complaining about "haters" being negative against you due to the nature of your posts and while the only negative poster in this thread that lacks any kind of constructive arguments the same time that everyone around has plenty is you. And you arent only negative. You are also rude and offensive the same time you are stating your own opinion and taste as a fact.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

OP:  Find out how many people tried the game.  Then find out how many still pay to sub to it.  

That should give you an idea on what MOST PEOPLE think about the game.  Don't listen to the blatant shills who try and claim only a tiny minority of people don't like it.  Facts show that the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of people who tried the game quit.

That is not even an arguable point.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

I would argue that most peeps that quit MO do it due to the nature of the game. Most gamers CAN'T handle loosing everything upon death. I've seen so many QQ-threads about this in MO forums, when people say why they are leaving MO. Sure some have left due to the buggy state as well. But more has left due to the "hardcoreness" of the game. At least if I have to go on the byebye-threads on the forums. MO sure ain't for every1, but some that can bite the bullet and come back from being ganked, and dig deeper into the game, might also fall in love cause there is no other game out there like MO right now. I would advice any1 to test it for free, and not listen to much to the dedicated haters or fanbois here. Make up your own freaking mind. ;)
  • VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    If you decide not to continue with MO, you should check out Age of Wushu. It's not full loot, but it is FFA with a good economy system.
    Originally posted by Lahuzer
    I would argue that most peeps that quit MO do it due to the nature of the game. Most gamers CAN'T handle loosing everything upon death. I've seen so many QQ-threads about this in MO forums, when people say why they are leaving MO. Sure some have left due to the buggy state as well. But more has left due to the "hardcoreness" of the game. At least if I have to go on the byebye-threads on the forums. MO sure ain't for every1, but some that can bite the bullet and come back from being ganked, and dig deeper into the game, might also fall in love cause there is no other game out there like MO right now. I would advice any1 to test it for free, and not listen to much to the dedicated haters or fanbois here. Make up your own freaking mind. ;)

The overwhelming majority who came, saw and left MO was due to several reasons. Mostly a combination of poor state of the game, ridiculously slow developement, patches that where bringing the game in an unplayable state for months and months after they went live (with unexpected and unwarned downtimes, removal of features that in many times never made it back into the game etc etc) broken promisses, constant lies, amateur staff right from the playerbase that was constantly griefing paying customers since day one and untill this moment and many many more issues that has being discussed over and over again and yet they remain unresolved. 

Now if you wanna simply say that the "hardcoreness" -your own word- of the game is the reason that from 10ths of thousands that bought or tried the game only a few dozen still play it or if your mentality allows you to even believe so, its absolutely fine by me. But have in mind that the average gamer aint 3 years old, so your argument is laughable to put it in a civil manner.

You would be arguing your opinion... and you are entitled to that.  I would counter with MY opinion that while some people certainly left due to full loot.  Most left because the game is not fun, the company is bad, or the game doesn't run well (if at all).

So we can argue back and forth on that, but what is NOT in dispute is that the OVERWHELMING majority of people who try the game quit playing.  Something to the order of 98 or 99 percent.   That should tell ANYONE somethng about the game...

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• picommanderpicommander Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188
    So we can argue back and forth on that, but what is NOT in dispute is that the OVERWHELMING majority of people who try the game quit playing.  Something to the order of 98 or 99 percent.   That should tell ANYONE somethng about the game...

While not sitting in anyones boat here, where did you get these numbers from? Just curious...

@Lahuzer

You mentioned "bye-bye threads on the forums". What forums? Surely not MO-forum since those threads are usually deleted (! nothing wrong with closing a thread but deleting w/o leaving a comment just stinks) very soon as well as many other threads that could be slightly considered unfavourable for the company (though they are not always consequent in doing so since there's still a lot of criticism left in their forum). And that's not wild guessing, I participated in some of these threads and some of them where miles away from trolling or flaming. But watch out for yourself, sooner or later you'll know what I'm talking about.

If people want my money they need to earn my trust in the first place.

Originally posted by picommander
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

While not sitting in anyones boat here, where did you get these numbers from? Just curious...

@Lahuzer

You mentioned "bye-bye threads on the forums". What forums? Surely not MO-forum since those threads are usually deleted (! nothing wrong with closing a thread but deleting w/o leaving a comment just stinks) very soon as well as many other threads that could be slightly considered unfavourable for the company (though they are not always consequent in doing so since there's still a lot of criticism left in their forum). And that's not wild guessing, I participated in some of these threads and some of them where miles away from trolling or flaming. But watch out for yourself, sooner or later you'll know what I'm talking about.

If people want my money they need to earn my trust in the first place.

The numbers are based on concept that they sold tens of thousands of copies of the game.  This is proven by looking at the financials.  Then tens of thousands more through the trial and now free to play.  I think 100k is fairly safe bet of the total that tried the game.  Heck, in their financial report of November they bragged that they had 188k "unique forum accounts".  Since then they went F2P.. so that number should be even higher.

Even if only 1/2 those folks tried the game it would be 100k... so again.. I think that is a safe estimate.

How many subs? 1-2k last we heard.  That is 1-2%.. meaning 98-99% are not subbed.  If you want to twist my arm to be ultra-conservative I'll give you 97%...

I won't argue that more peeps has left the game, then people have stayed. And most people come from a themeparkish background and is chocked when they have a taste of a full loot game, that is also being developed by a small company like SV, and MO being their first title, it sure has been a bumpy ride to say the least. But for one that been there from the start, the game has gotten alot better, and SV rly listens alot to their playerbase when it comes to fixing the game, and lately the bug fixing patches has been plenty and regulary. And the F2P model sure has brought alot of new peeps into the game, and since the game is in a better state now compared to when it launched, those numbers of yours Slappy will go up, and more will stay. But they will keep on losing those themepark players that just won't have it to loose everything they have on them upon death. MO will never be a big MMO title. Or make millions. I think SV will be happy to get enough cash to be able to keep developing the game of their dreams. An it can be a good game for those that want what it offers and can see pass the bugs and the steap learning curve of the game.
  • picommanderpicommander Member UncommonPosts: 256
    I won't argue that more peeps has left the game, then people have stayed. And most people come from a themeparkish background and is chocked when they have a taste of a full loot game, that is also being developed by a small company like SV, and MO being their first title, it sure has been a bumpy ride to say the least.

Somehow I doubt this though I can only speak for myself of course. Indeed I didn't know that it's such a small company but on everything else I was quite aware of. I had this game on my radar almost from the beginning but never dared playing it in this (well known) state. The change to F2P was a welcome opportunity to check it out without any risk of losing money. I jumped in not because rather than despite its full loot pvp. To my own surprise I even liked the thrill of the possible threat from being pk'ed at any time. But in the first place I liked some parts of MO that are (where) truely unique for modern MMOs, mainly its (for an old school player like me) extremely appealing mix of hardcore, oldschool, dense immersion with modern graphics.

When I started there was still dark night even in towns. This is so rare these days that I was completely sold, even though some really ugly visual bugs destroyed large parts of its awesome immersion to me. The biggest disappointment came to me when they removed real darkness (at least in towns) due to some player complaints. I understand the devs in this point but the disappointment was too big.

This game has just too many problems that I'm not all able to swallow. The technical problems are one thing, the player base which is mainly build by your typical PVP focused audience pressing towards flat arena like PVP is the other side of the coin. In this certain case I consider the attribute "player driven" as the possibly worst thing that could happen to MO rather than an outstanding cachet.