Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The people complaining...

Comments

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by ikarrian
    Possibly because they pretty much asks for a Singleplayer game. Unless you can convince them to make two TESO games, one with PVE only, and other with FFA PVP Gank anywhere you want.

if they want a solo game all they have to do is turn chat off and ignore everyone else..sorted

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Aviggin
    The game will not have traditional first-person TES combat, but from what I've seen in videos,  it doesn't look like it's doing either MMO's or TES a terrible injustice, and are combining the two in a meaningful way. We'll find out soon enough, however.

They have said 1st person will be in the launch version. Until I see how well its done in a vid or something I'm just going to gear myself up for playing it in 3rd, I'm still unconvinced on how well 1st person will work in an mmo, especially one with a pvp focus.

Edit: to clarify, I think 1st person can work but only when 3rd isnt an option

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by deakon
    Originally posted by Aviggin
    The game will not have traditional first-person TES combat, but from what I've seen in videos,  it doesn't look like it's doing either MMO's or TES a terrible injustice, and are combining the two in a meaningful way. We'll find out soon enough, however.

They have said 1st person will be in the launch version. Until I see how well its done in a vid or something I'm just going to gear myself up for playing it in 3rd, I'm still unconvinced on how well 1st person will work in an mmo, especially one with a pvp focus.

Edit: to clarify, I think 1st person can work but only when 3rd isnt an option

Depends how fast paced the combat is... Slower combat favours 1pv, or other way round :)

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    Originally posted by Grunch

I notice that the only people complaining have never played DAoC and do not realize the awesomeness that is about to be unleashed in 2013 called ESO. I have been waiting for a DAoC 3 Faction RvR game since the WoW Clone Wars began. This is going to be the MMO that will bring balance back to the force.

I suggest people try out DAoC to see how three faction gameplay works. I understand DAoC isn't what it used to be but you will get an idea.

I did play DAoC. It was my first MMO and my most favorite, but TES and DAoC have nothing in common. Do I want a DAoC sequel? You bet. TES, however, is not a RvR series. It's an open world sandbox series with non-linear story elements. I'm not asking that ESO adopt any current or past features already known in the MMO world. All I'm asking is the developers to keep true to the TES name. 

If they made ESO like the single player TES games, with the one exception that you can now play with thousands of other players, I'd be a happy man. 

I pose this question to ESO's current fans. What about ESO is carried over from TES series? Hell, they've even changed the way the elves look to appeal to the wider elf loving audience. Elves in TES series were ugly as hell, now they look like Tolkien elves.

• GN-003GN-003 Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Pint
    TESO appeals a lot to me, I get 3 skyrims to pve in and a fantasy planetside to pvp in. 4 games for the price of one.

That's an interesting outlook. Where have I heard this before... ah, that's right, SWTOR. "Oh my god, it's like KOTOR 3, 4, 5, and 6! It's the ultimate experience!" Do you honestly believe that the solo/PVE portion of TESO is going to be on equal footing with traditional Elder Scrolls games? Not just once, but three times over? Good on you, I suppose.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

I notice that the only people complaining have never played DAoC and do not realize the awesomeness that is about to be unleashed in 2013 called ESO. I have been waiting for a DAoC 3 Faction RvR game since the WoW Clone Wars began. This is going to be the MMO that will bring balance back to the force.

I suggest people try out DAoC to see how three faction gameplay works. I understand DAoC isn't what it used to be but you will get an idea.

you miss in the way GW2 ...!

but anyway TESO has (+) a big map, not 3 same and one a little bigger, i hope this will work better and the pride will be between races/alliances and not servers which is good for rp ...

on the other hand, they have huge restrictions, not allowing side to choose after your character and the staff with the one server global server who places you in a smart way ... reminds me the US smart bombs ... not good

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    if the game was pegged as DAoC 2, then that would be one thing, but the game is being advertised as a TES MMO, which is highly questionable, so far all i've seen is a lazy attempt to bolt together a DAoC remake using TES themes, you would hope, after all this time, that the concept of R v R v R MMO's had at least undergone some kind of evolution, recreating the past just doesnt cut it, although updated graphics will look nice, i had hoped that the game would at least attempt to bring in the type of gameplay most commonly associated with TES, so much for innovation. As for the oh yeah best game eveh crowd, we've heard it all before, and the outcome in just about every case has so far always been the same, so change the record or at least use some kind of argument to tell us why it is, i guess the next thing we'll be hearing how this game will kill WoW. image
  • CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by Phry
    if the game was pegged as DAoC 2, then that would be one thing, but the game is being advertised as a TES MMO, which is highly questionable, so far all i've seen is a lazy attempt to bolt together a DAoC remake using TES themes, you would hope, after all this time, that the concept of R v R v R MMO's had at least undergone some kind of evolution, recreating the past just doesnt cut it, although updated graphics will look nice, i had hoped that the game would at least attempt to bring in the type of gameplay most commonly associated with TES, so much for innovation. As for the oh yeah best game eveh crowd, we've heard it all before, and the outcome in just about every case has so far always been the same, so change the record or at least use some kind of argument to tell us why it is, i guess the next thing we'll be hearing how this game will kill WoW. image

Wow is getting old. Blizzard doesnt even have the "WoW team" working on WoW anymore... its dying, slowly and even Blizz knows that - I still play it tho... but since I'm not a "raider" and PvP sucks, I just stay at 90 with max pre-raid gear and go do old content solo or reroll a class I didnt try yet - I'm playin a level 30 disc priest right now.

As for TESO yes... considering the franchise, its playerbase, the amount of people that know about The Elder Scrolls and the mmo crowd that both know about mmos and about TES, TESO does have the chance of becoming the new huge mmo in short time after release.

If done right, there will be no mmo to even challenge it at least for almost 2 years (or more depending on that Titan project). Make no mistake tho... if done right it will take a large chunk of players out of every mmo out there and probably nuking some to oblivion (pun intended).

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Nitth

If DaoC was so great, Why did it ultimately under preform in the end?

The reason was, the game was an awesome RvR pvp game. Once their focus went toward PvE they lost people. Pre-ToA, DAOC was the very best RvR game I've ever played, and nothing has ever compared to it.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Not so much focus on pve. Daoc always focussed on pve and pvp and crafting equally, it was one of its strengths. Daoc does have a ton of pve content, 41 dungeons for a start.

What broke it was adding EQ / wow style wtfpwn gear with toa which was best in game and could only be obtained through pve.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Not so much focus on pve. Daoc always focussed on pve and pvp and crafting equally, it was one of its strengths. Daoc does have a ton of pve content, 41 dungeons for a start.

What broke it was adding EQ / wow style wtfpwn gear with toa which was best in game and could only be obtained through pve.

I played DAoC at 95% PvE probably ( I was a huge fan of Mythics and their older games like Aliens Online , Godzilla Online , Magestorm , Spellbinder ..ect. ) and I dont think I got to RR3 on any of my characters. DAoC had a good bit of PvE content prior to any expansions and I really loved Stonehenge Barrows.

And again ToA came out a year before WoW so it was all about taking players from EQ :)

Im am just looking forward to running around Tamriel. My main draw is just the world and PvE.. PvP comes way past those but I do play that style from time to time I just aint crazy about it.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

I played DAoC at 95% PvE probably ( I was a huge fan of Mythics and their older games like Aliens Online , Godzilla Online , Magestorm , Spellbinder ..ect. ) and I dont think I got to RR3 on any of my characters. DAoC had a good bit of PvE content prior to any expansions and I really loved Stonehenge Barrows.

And again ToA came out a year before WoW so it was all about taking players from EQ :)

Im am just looking forward to running around Tamriel. My main draw is just the world and PvE.. PvP comes way past those but I do play that style from time to time I just aint crazy about it.

Yeah people tend to forget how good the PvE was. 

The Trials of Atlantis themselves weren't bad. They're some of the best raids in MMO history. DAoC raiding in general is some of the best raiding on the market. Or it was anyway. 

The thing is, DAoC kept it all in perfect balance. Until ToA and instancing. Then it was ruined. 

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

but what if you are not very interested in pvp but would rather explore the pve side of teso but since this guy made daoc and thought it was so awesome, even though it sold less copies than any of the other games around that time, and you know most of their budget is going to go into the pvp aspect with pve being just another boring wow clone.  what then, would we have the right to complain then.

they are taking a great sandbox singleplayer game and turning it into a wow clone with boring pvp.  go to one zone and fight forever, wow arena much.  that sounds so exciting, i better check my non existent stiffie.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

As with any MMO there are the few that will forever say it was the best MMO. If you want to see something in Elder Scrolls Online coming here and talking like a bunch of chickens :) does nothing. Talk to the Devs NOW don't wait till the game is lanuched and come back here and cry.

Pvp will not be like Daoc, may have parts but it will be something that brings in people. So let the past go and try to enjoy Elder Scrolls for what they want it to be or you will leave because its not like Daoc its just a wow clone blah blah.

As for wow dying ..very slowy but millions still PAY to play. So any new MMO will do what ever it takes to get MILLIONS to pay not just a tiny handful that like an old does not know its dead Daoc :D

Originally posted by hardicon

but what if you are not very interested in pvp but would rather explore the pve side of teso but since this guy made daoc and thought it was so awesome, even though it sold less copies than any of the other games around that time, and you know most of their budget is going to go into the pvp aspect with pve being just another boring wow clone.  what then, would we have the right to complain then.

they are taking a great sandbox singleplayer game and turning it into a wow clone with boring pvp.  go to one zone and fight forever, wow arena much.  that sounds so exciting, i better check my non existent stiffie.

In what way is it a wow clone?

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

low level cap, themepark, end game gear treadmill.  no real endgame other than running 2 dungeons over and over until you get to run 2 more dungeons over and over.  pretty much the same model as wow. 

yeah i know all this hasnt been released but id be willing to bet my right testicle that is how its going to be.

So rvr doesn't count as an endgame activity?
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    So rvr doesn't count as an endgame activity?

Not to PVE'ers.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Open dungeons, instanced dungeons, world raids, crafted gear equal to rvr / pve gear?
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by Maelwydd
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by Vonatar

I played DAoC briefly. It wasn't my thing because I'm not really into pvp.

I have played every TES game since Daggerfall so what ZeniMax are releasing isn't in my eyes an Elder Scrolls MMO. Not saying it's going to be bad, it could well be awesome for those people that like RvRvR pvp and/or loved DAoC. It's just not the Elder Scrolls MMO I would like to see.

I wish everyone on this forum was like this. Not what he wants, but not willing to completely write it off as a catastrophic failure. Good show.

I would say someone who states pretty much they will not play it has "written the game off" more then those saying they dislike a particular feature (and honestly, I can't think of anything else about the game people dislike...but it is such a HUGE part of the game to dislike).

Of course you don't write with passion if you don't really care about the subject.

I see what you were saying, I was referring to the doom and gloom posters who say this game or that game will fail in a years time without any info or sources. Disliking the game is one thing ( I dislike a lot of highly populated games ) but that does not rain on the parade of a games success. GW2 is a good example, I don't like it, but it is a highly successful title.

It's just a breath of fresh air to see someone who won't play the game say he can say why others will enjoy it.

whats the difference between people who say this game or that game will fail in a years time without any info or sources and the people who say this game or that game will be the legendary wow killer in a years time without any info or sources?

not a one.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• NergleNergle Member UncommonPosts: 253

Not that I am breaking any EULAs or anything but folks looking at this game to be another DAoC are in for a big suprise.

You can flame me and all that other good stuff for saying this but when open beta let's everyone in, I am going to quote what I just posted and the folks that flame me with a nice long thread titled "I told you so.".

Heed my words, this is not the second coming of DAoC.

Originally posted by hardicon

low level cap, themepark, end game gear treadmill.  no real endgame other than running 2 dungeons over and over until you get to run 2 more dungeons over and over.  pretty much the same model as wow. 

yeah i know all this hasnt been released but id be willing to bet my right testicle that is how its going to be.

I love people saying themepark like TES games arent similar to themepark mmo's.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Because it's largely a matter of how you end up playing the single player title that dictates what it is.

There's a reason there was so much argument in the past over whether or not TES titles are themepark or sandbox.

If all you're doing is the quest lines, then that makes it feel like a themepark because you're essentially just following rails. The player makes those rails though.

It's quests with singular goals in many cases, but some of them have branching choices.

On top of that there is the matter of the greater game. What else can and does get achieved with the titles. There's a reason people have raked in 600+ hours on the titles, because there's more to the games than quest chains. There is much mouldability and creativity that can be achieved in the game alongside emergent gameplay aspects.

It's generally why the PC players are the longest lived fanbase for the series as well. The modding community that keeps tweaking and adding to the titles so they can have ongoing fun romping around each Elder Scrolls title.

So you can poke at a few similarities, but they are far from the complete game and far from describing what the games actually are.

Hence winding back to one of the common complaints, they have narrowed down the encompassing aspects of the game and appear to be creating a more finite experience to move through.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Deivos

Because it's largely a matter of how you end up playing the single player title that dictates what it is.

There's a reason there was so much argument in the past over whether or not TES titles are themepark or sandbox.

If all you're doing is the quest lines, then that makes it feel like a themepark because you're essentially just following rails. The player makes those rails though.

There's a lot of truth to that.

I remember someone comign to the general gaming forums here and wondering what the big deal was as he "beat" the game in 10 hours or some such thing.

I've also known a few people who didn't quite get the game and didn't get beyond a few levels.

For me I have over 650 hours and that's pretty much 4 characters, most of it is with my main character who is a bout to hit lvl 68.

Last night I logged in to evaluate my armor and weapons in order to get ready to go into Dragonborn next week. All I did was craft and try things out. That was 2 hours right there.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Most of the people complaining seem to know little about the actual game. They just post off of what other people are complaining about that also know little about the game. Its like a snow ball filled with crap rolling down a hill, not much will change until we see game play though.

Got to stop making nonsense threads like this, all it does is gives those that want attention the stage to sing and dance on some more.