Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there any fun skills?

boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
Most skills that I tried root you into place and feel really clunky / not fun. Are there any that are fun? Something like d2's whirlwind for example.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

Comments

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    There are a ton of skills, better gems to come by in act 3, hardest part is getting the right gear with the right number of slots with the right connects and colours for the build you are aiming for, whats really good about this game is that you will very unlikely come across another character with the same build.  There are gems that do allow whirling blades for both one handed and two handed weapons, can't remember the exact names of these gems.  My favourite skill is cleave with gain life on hit, I'm a lvl 36 marauder with a lowly hp of 400 as I havnt even touched the life nodes in the skill tree yet, but with 3 gems giving me life on hit i'm doing very well, though my armour is over 800.
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Most skills that I tried root you into place and feel really clunky / not fun. Are there any that are fun? Something like d2's whirlwind for example.

I've found numerous fun skills, but yeah, have to say, the melee in this game could use a bit more polish.  It does take a lot of getting used to.  If you really have a hard time getting into it because of that, I'd suggest trying a more ranged character type, before giving up on the game.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

http://www.pathofexile.com/skills

Whirling blades is a blast.

Also equipping a 2hander and using sweep is good fun.

• LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Starting out it does seem a bit slow and dull but once you get up to 30+ it really starts to get good when you have acces to more nodes and skill gems. The great thing about this game is when you start getting gear you actually need and skills it gets super fun.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by smokedogg311
    Starting out it does seem a bit slow and dull but once you get up to 30+ it really starts to get good when you have acces to more nodes and skill gems. The great thing about this game is when you start getting gear you actually need and skills it gets super fun.

I am level 28 (I think) and the game is super fun. Good to hear it gets even better at higher levels.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• LadyEupheiLadyEuphei Member UncommonPosts: 223
    whirling blades, coolest skill in game!

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    I enjoy my witches firestorm. Who doesnt like throwing up to like 16 minions at enemies and raining down righteous fire! I know i do!

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

No theres a lot lacking with skills.

All have a clunky feel, since this is due to the combat mechanics needing a lot of work.

Ive found theres really two phases of the game regarding skills.  The first part of actually getting the gems you want, which can take a very long time to do, meaning you play a sizable chunk of the game without the skills you need, unless you get lucky.

After that its comming to the realization that most the skills play somewhat the same, with just slight variations on what can be done with them.  For instance, elemental bow, one of the few viable and popular builds, offers a DOT, an aoe spread shot, and a lot of skills that add an elemental animation to your bow shot and not much else, you can swap from burning arrow, to cold shot, to lightning arrow, to poision arrow all with the same exact gameplay. Stacking elemental damage on gear will proc the effects, so its possible to shoot a posion arrow that causes the mob to either ignite from fire damage or freeze from cold damage ect.

There are not a lot of skills in game is another drawback.  Yes you can link to add elemental damage or a slight effect, which increases the MP consumption a lot...which isnt a viable route for a lot of builds lacking INT...unless you want a skill for rare use.

But like ive said before in other posts, this game offers a bit of depth and dark/gritty feel and lack of animation art vs photo realism art and trades it heavily with lack of entertaining combat.

Your not going to be roflstomping full screens packed with mobs getting tons of bonuses for kill streaks and multiple killing blows.  Your gameplay is more going to be shooting mobs off screen, lots of running kiting, and very slow kills and cautious progression.  Specifically now with the insane mob desync, a lot of the aggressive gameplay that makes other ARPG so entertaining is very lacking in this game.

Top it off with no reason to play multiplayer, other than dealing with shady loot ninjas and costant loot related problems...the game trades very heavilty with action for a bit looks and some slight depth.

Bottom line this game seems like the most fun is involved with playing throught he story once, getting a build theorized (then finding out its not viable and rerolling lol)...however it doesnt feel like a game where im going to want to farm gear at endgame...given how the increased difficulty levels seem to weed out the fun builds and force you into one of the few viable setups (with slight variations of course)

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Flicker Strike, Whirling Blades, Leap Slam, Shield Charge, Spell and Ranged Attack Totems, Multiple Projectiles, Chain, Lightning Warp, Fork, Lightning Strike, Phase Run...

Those are what I consider to be the most fun skills. For example, adding chain, fork and mulitiple projectiles to something like fireball is probably one of the craziest things I've ever seen in a game. Plus, lots more to come.. they plan on doubling the amount of skills throughout the year.

Hmm.. I need to find out if chain and fork work with lightning strike's projectiles.. why havn't I tested this yet?

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

You ever tried swinging, or even whirlwinding an axe while running? Go pick up an axe from the tool shed and try that in your back yard.

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

Your not going to be roflstomping full screens packed with mobs getting tons of bonuses for kill streaks and multiple killing blows.  Your gameplay is more going to be shooting mobs off screen, lots of running kiting, and very slow kills and cautious progression.  Specifically now with the insane mob desync, a lot of the aggressive gameplay that makes other ARPG so entertaining is very lacking in this game.

While I disagree with most of what you had to say Ive found this needed to be highlighted as especially wrong.

My marauder and templar constantly pull as many mobs as possible and leap, slam, stomp, sweep and smash 20-50 mobs at a time with delirious abandon. I often need to run deeper into a map just to pull more mobs to add to the frenzy and fun. My ranged shadow and witch are starting to get to similar levels of ability though are much more prone to running away when it all goes a bit wrong, and this is all in hardcore mode. There may not be a cheersquad or killstreak bonus's, but it is very satisfying.

So youre doing something wrong, it is that simple.

• nycplayboy78nycplayboy78 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    I am a pet specc'd Templar and I love my zombies and skeletons even though they are rather weaksauce in the beginning but one you start leveling up the gems and skills....WATCH OUT...Also I am a lightning thrower...Guard your NUTS :)
  • steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

Flicker Strike

Whirling Blades (i love this one, its hilariously fun)

Leap slam ??

Shield Charge

just to name the ones I have on various normal difficulty characters.

Then their are modifiers.... OMG so much fun... I have multiple supports on a single arrow skill and entire groups die in the push of a button. Granted it eats 1/4 of my mana each time i press that button, but its sooooo worth it.

Id say whirling blades is the closest to a "whirlwind" ive seen

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by jpnole

You ever tried swinging, or even whirlwinding an axe while running? Go pick up an axe from the tool shed and try that in your back yard.

Must be a fancy tool shed you have. Fireproof for all those witch fire storms you throw around in it? image

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    [nevermind, answered my own question]

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.