Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Duncan Jones Secured to Direct WoW Film

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Blizzard Entertainment and Legendary Pictures have announced that the World of Warcraft film may finally be making its first steps to reality with the hiring of Duncan Jones to direct the project. Jones is best known for his work on "Source Code". 

Legendary is keeping its script, written by Charles Leavitt, under wraps. The Warner Bros.-based production and finance outfit is eyeing a fall 2013 start and a 2015 release.

Jones’ producing partner, Stuart Fenegan, will executive produce while Chris Metzen will co-produce for Blizzard. 

Warcraft  is a big jump up in terms of scope and scale for Jones, the filmmaker son of David Bowie known for his thoughtful sci-fi work.

Read more at Hollywood Reporter.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Excellent director to choose, he also directed an amazing film called Moon, but what more would you expect for David Bowie's son!
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Must say I liked both Moon and The Source Code. Just not seeing why Duncan Jones but perhaps together with other other two producer it might become something. I do find that he has a keen eye for detail when it comes to telling a story by film.

The budget for the film seems close to the making of the Lord of the Rings movie 1, so expectations are pretty high though the budget for the LotrO movies was several years ago, while tech has improved allot it's also more expansive then say some years ago.

Even though I feel a CGI like trailers full movie would do very well, if they are atleast of the same qualtiy some of them are. Yet I understand to draw in more then perhaps the gaming community they choose for a real life action movie.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by vorpal28
    Excellent director to choose, he also directed an amazing film called Moon, but what more would you expect for David Bowie's son!

Yeah, Moon is a great little movie. Good screenwriter on this as well (Blood Diamond)

We shall see.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Oh well, if its about World of warcraft then my hopes to see the whole Arthas story made film goes to the toilet, well still i hope the movie have something to offer to me.

• Spicy_NoodleSpicy_Noodle Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Varthander
    Oh well, if its about World of warcraft then my hopes to see the whole Arthas story made film goes to the toilet, well still i hope the movie have something to offer to me.

I would like to understand why you're even saying that when WoW is based on that entire story, lol..

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Cant understand why he would throw away his career making a film of a game, let's face it all game based films suck. moon was a decent film, I rather he make more stuff like that.

wasn't uwe boll available or something?
  • eyeqdkeyeqdk Member UncommonPosts: 37
    well, is this going to be a "Warcraft" film... (maby from thral making the uprise, and the fight of orc and humans, or maby the warcraft 3 time, where we have a king going crazy) or are we going to se the World og warcraft.... wich means... well... kongfu pandas? 
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    2015???first thing that came to mind was Star Wars VII...WoW is doomed!-lol

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Oh boy
  • poliboypoliboy Member Posts: 39

The Only way this would work, is if they make a trilogy. You can't view everything in one film.

Hope they do it right. The story has great potential.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    The story is what gets me to log in almost everyday and make sure I rack up some hk's with my Orc , oh those poor humans. It must be done though, and just like a true Orc its always a race to be the first one into battle. So much honor in death!!!
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

well thank god it's not michael bay :)

should be good.  i mean it's david bowie's kid how bad could it be :)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Thought is a Warcraft film, most will go see it cus of WoW but will WoW be holding a big enough base to make this movie profitable? maybe Blizzard has a surprise warcraft game that will released around th same time? hum
  • AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Adults dressed as pandas comes to the big screen! I'll probably get dragged to the theater by my 4 year old - she likes pandas.

There was a time I played WoW but it's embrace of Facebook and Hello Kitty turned me off for good.
  • NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

While I'm not really fond of "Source Code" and unsure how Duncan Jones will fare with a mega-budget fantasy movie, it's honestly a much better pick than I would guess. (Hey, at least it's Abrams-free! :P)

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

I don't think you can pack ALL of WoW into a 2 hr Movie. This Movie will need at least 8 hrs of content to tell the story. :)

I love Movie Marathons. :-D

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by orbitxo
    2015???first thing that came to mind was Star Wars VII...WoW is doomed!-lol

Confusing... do you only follow/ watch one film a year?

2015 is shaping up to be a busy year for sure, but there is room for a big budget IP with WoW's penetration.

I won't watch it at the cinema, it will be a bad movie. Games make bad movies. Movies usually make bad games (with odd exception like goldeneye)

Will also destroy the career of a promising director. Thus guy doesn't know what he's letting himself in for, if internet nerds / troll for comic book movies it likes of lotr are bad, wow / blizzard fans take it too a whole new level. The film is destined to fail.

Might watch it on tv years later to laugh at all the actors who whored themselves out to it though.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I won't watch it at the cinema, it will be a bad movie. Games make bad movies. Movies usually make bad games (with odd exception like goldeneye)

Will also destroy the career of a promising director. Thus guy doesn't know what he's letting himself in for, if internet nerds / troll for comic book movies it likes of lotr are bad, wow / blizzard fans take it too a whole new level. The film is destined to fail.

Might watch it on tv years later to laugh at all the actors who whored themselves out to it though.

Last I checked no one was putting a gun to Jones' head.  He thinks he can work with the script or he wouldn't take it.  The last couple million WoW nerds in the US aren't going to decide the fate of this movie.

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Moon was incredible, Source Code not so much but very good director in the end so good choice!
  • NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Also, Blade Runner - one of the best adventure games ever, in my opinion. But yeah, I can't remember a good game-to-movie adaptation.

On the other hand... Hey, there's a first for everything! After all, statistics are just results, not causes. :)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    They're still determined to make that thing after all this time?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• iamthekilleriamthekiller Member Posts: 93

The concept has promise. I will reserve my judgement for when a trailer is released or the basis of the story is revealed. Pretending like I know anything about it would only make me look like a moron...but the rest of you carry on!

If they where to make a trilogy...I would use the original orc invasion of azeroth as a jumping off point..that will explain the conflice of horde vs alliance...then perhaps bring burning legion into the mix for movie 2 and lich king and friends for movie 3...I would also accept a film adaptation of dragon soul or well of eternity..sadly doubt it will be this interesting...we will see though!

I think the film will be subject to lots of ch-ch-changes, by the time it comes out it won't be very Fashion-able and nobody involved will come out of it looking like Heroes. Be interesting to see if one of the characters is a laughing gnome though.
  • AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621
    I think it is several years too late to be making a WoW movie. It should have been made during the game's peak.