Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Warcraft Movie Lands a Director: Filming Begins This Year

2»

Comments

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by Razperil
    Originally posted by Goll25
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    I'm kinda sad since there are much better IP's that could become movies. Oh well Fanboys just soiled their underwear with this announcement so atleast it benefits someone.

No, not really. Not when your IP had peaked  at 13 million active players with a subscription, in a fringe genre. Couldn't imagine a hollywood movie coming out based on any other MMO IP, other than star wars, lotro, and TES. < 2 of those came from movies/books before games, and Warcraft has managed to absolutely smash their face into the ground in the MMO market.

WoW animosity in the MMO community is pathetic. 

Spoken like a true WoW kid, congrats. (If you don't want animosity, perhaphs you should get our your high horse hmmm?)

As another person already stated, there are way better IP's that could be made into movies. We all know that this is just another cash grab for the blind followers. (Yes, I too am allowed that thing called an "opinion" wether you like it or not). Nonetheless, have fun with your movie. Maybe people will end up subbing to it if it turns out better than the game itself (oh wait, it won't have to try to do that unless they try to make the CGI like the game.. what a cringeful thought) :)

Oh no, everyone is entitled to their opinion, how ever there isn't a better IP in the MMO market that should be transferred to a movie. The huge sub base nearly ensures that the movie has a potential huge profit to be made. 

I'm not going to argue whether or not content within the movie will be good, nor if the lore of warcraft is good or not (It's personally my favorite having read over 10 of the novels so far and still going) because those are opinions. However looking at the MMO market and deciding which game should be funded into a big budget movie, you would be hard pressed to find a better fit then WoW. Why? Well for one the only point I was trying to make is popularity, it has a very big target audience. Next, the expanded/depth of the universe that the novels have created, and the warcraft games up too now - It's big and actually well drawn out (opinion). 

Yeah, I play WoW, I have since 07 and your attempt at an insult by calling me a "true WoW kid" only further proves my point when I talk about the animosity towards wow shown in the general MMO community. Anyways, I do not only play WoW nor was it my first MMO, my first MMO was tibia back in 2000. 

Also what High horse are you talking about.... I can't find it, I for sure wasn't sitting on it - I don't even own a horse! 

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Apparently they have already cast the main lead and it will be Hugh Jackman. His character is to be a Grizzled war veteran Paladin by the name of xxLegolazzmusdienoobxx
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Took long enough, good news. I hope it ends up being a good movie.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Good one Mael. :)

Anyway brief synopsis of film
    First 30 minutes is Hugh jackman running around azeroth gathering up 39 other peoples
    Brief bit of exposition then its off to the frozen north to fight some dead emo dude
    About an hour of fighting stuff to reach him
    Then the climax, battle with arthas himself.

After that there's a coda lasting 90 minutes where all 40 get to argue over who gets to wear the now properly dead dead emo dudes trousers.
  • VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Movie should have come out 5 years ago.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Good one Mael. :)

Anyway brief synopsis of film
    First 30 minutes is Hugh jackman running around azeroth gathering up 39 other peoples
    Brief bit of exposition then its off to the frozen north to fight some dead emo dude
    About an hour of fighting stuff to reach him
    Then the climax, battle with arthas himself.

After that there's a coda lasting 90 minutes where all 40 get to argue over who gets to wear the now properly dead dead emo dudes trousers.

Don't forget a few of the 40 mysteriously die and dissapear with the fatal last words "gotta go, GF here...."

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

I thought that the Warcraft movie was something that was tossed by the wayside, but nope.  They have a script (written by Charles Leavitt) and now a director (Duncan Jones).

Filming begins fall of 2013 for a 2015 release.

Source: Hollywood Reporter

I wonder where they'll find steroid packed actors to fill the roles of the orcs with all those veins popping out.

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

In 2006, when the movie was first announced, it had the potential of making a huge profit... not today.  If it were to be released tomorrow, it *might* turn a small profit.   Not enough to justify making it and surely not enough to support idea of a sequel.  

Take a look at South Park, they did a spoof of WoW when it was very high in it's popularity... if they did that today, people would go... "What's WoW?"  Timing is everything.  The timing for this movie is way off... they missed the boat.

It's been 11 years... you probably have another 5 years to wait... if it ever gets made at all.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

I thought that the Warcraft movie was something that was tossed by the wayside, but nope.  They have a script (written by Charles Leavitt) and now a director (Duncan Jones).

Filming begins fall of 2013 for a 2015 release.

Source: Hollywood Reporter

I wonder where they'll find steroid packed actors to fill the roles of the orcs with all those veins popping out.

....I'd imagine the same place Peter Jackson did; in make-up.

• dcrose001dcrose001 Member Posts: 7
    Awesome now we get to hear every wowbaby  shout about this till it dies , which can't be to soon. Blizz is finding yet another way to milk more cash out of a dying horse.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by pmiles

In 2006, when the movie was first announced, it had the potential of making a huge profit... not today.  If it were to be released tomorrow, it *might* turn a small profit.   Not enough to justify making it and surely not enough to support idea of a sequel.  

Take a look at South Park, they did a spoof of WoW when it was very high in it's popularity... if they did that today, people would go... "What's WoW?"  Timing is everything.  The timing for this movie is way off... they missed the boat.

It's been 11 years... you probably have another 5 years to wait... if it ever gets made at all.

I would argue that more people today know about WoW than in 2006.  Random people know what WoW is these days, even people that don't play video games.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    wonder if they will have the ninja looter class in it..hope so.hope the looter gets all the purples.
  • SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

I would be suprised if

-Main character wasn't human

-There wouldn't be any corny jokes of gnomes and undeads

-There isn't dungeon where group of heroes are going to find some crazy thing

-There wouldn't be common enemy that causes both sides to work together

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Scottgun
    Originally posted by Razperil
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    I'm kinda sad since there are much better IP's that could become movies. Oh well Fanboys just soiled their underwear with this announcement so atleast it benefits someone.

I completely agree. There are way better IP's out there.

Yep. And Blizzard is sitting on one: Startcraft would be much better than Warcraft

I agree.  I always was much more enticed with the SC lore that WC .  Not to mention SC might have a much wider audiance.  Mention SC and people might listen to you about the game, mention WC and watch them slowly back away from you.  OR Diablo for that matter, I love stuff evolving around demons in a theological sense. 

I just dread that people wil go see the movie in their BlizzCon outfits.  Never understand those people.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by spankybus
    There is absolutely no way this movie will not win every Oscar for 2015....

The talent involved so far is pretty respectable. While it may not be Oscar material there is no reason to think at this point that it won't be good.

There is absolutely no reason for this film to exist. There is no amazing story taking place within WoW that much be conveyed on the big screen. Most of e time the story elements just feel tacked on to facilitate players sticking around longer. 

This is nothing more than a cash grab. A way to convert the popularity of yet another franchise into cash...usually at the expense of that franshice's credibility. 

Splinter cell has an interesting main character with some very interesting skills and a host of  interesting stories to draw upon....or they can simply use Sam 's world and create a new story. Assasin's Creed also has a very interesting story to it, and again, an interesting main character. They may also be cash grabs but I see far more potential in their perspective movie adaptations.

Wow is a massive universe...how to you focus on story on such a grand scale? It would be like  writing a story about earth....way to much material to draw from and  most people only know or care about a VERY small part of it.

Here is hoping....but I am not very optimistic on this one.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Lets not have his dad doing the opening music score, I don't think this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyQxTWDLZ8o would go down to well. LOL

That song was one of the most hated songs by Bowie fans on release, yet strangely it was one of the most requested when Bowie asked fans which song they would like to be played, un-suprisingly Bowie refused to sing it.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Cod, can't play at work, is it laughing gnome?

That's just how we are in UK, was some poll for greatest bowie song or something and lots if people voted for the gnome song for a laugh.

Anyway theme should be: the man who sold the world (of warcraft)
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by spookydom
    This is old news! When is somebvody going to make a movie of the computer game IP we want to see the most? http://www.farming-simulator.com/

I guess the most wanted movie based on a video game would be PONG.

No other game has such a tradition and got young and old to play for 40 years now.

WoW can't beat that.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Sasami

I would be suprised if

-Main character wasn't human

-There wouldn't be any corny jokes of gnomes and undeads

-There isn't dungeon where group of heroes are going to find some crazy thing

-There wouldn't be common enemy that causes both sides to work together

If the movie is really close to the game it'll be a movie about reputation- and token grinding.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Hey, Uwe Boll didn't get his filthy hands on this, so there is hope it will be decent :D
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Cod, can't play at work, is it laughing gnome?

That's just how we are in UK, was some poll for greatest bowie song or something and lots if people voted for the gnome song for a laugh.

Anyway theme should be: the man who sold the world (of warcraft)

Yep, how you guess? lol

I can think of a few more Bowie tracks that could fit the theme.

1. Where have all the good times.

2. Golden years

3. Never get old

4. Jump they say.

5. Real cool world

6. Absolute beginners.

7. Its no game

8. Scary monsters

My compilation of Bowie tracks to fit the WoW movie soundtrack. ;)