Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

User rating down to 6.6 is a bit harsh don't you think ?

Comments

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Yeah, like user ratings on MMORPG matter...

Because they are unbiased and objective...

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

F2P is a joke.

Content is a joke.

Competition has shown to deliver WAY better post launch than SWTOR.

The rating is actually a bit high.  SWTOR deserves about 6.0

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by ktanner3

This. I mean really, who cares? If anything, I'd take a low score from this site as a badge of honor. 

+1

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Originally posted by jdnyc

F2P is a joke.

Content is a joke.

Competition has shown to deliver WAY better post launch than SWTOR.

The rating is actually a bit high.  SWTOR deserves about 6.0

In my above reply i talked about how unbiased and objective ratings on MMORPG are and voila...

Yes, yes Rift is the best themepark out there atm. Not...

• ksternalksternal Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Harsh? Absolutely not. The game was forced into F2P in less then a year because people got bored with the PvE and extremely limited PvP content. The PvP is still broken even after being out for over a year and the planet content grows dull after you run it once.  Maybe if the devs actually listen to the players and make the game more F2P which they said it is more people will come back to the game and bring new people with it.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Scottgun
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by Scottgun
    Judging by what I've read, I'd be inclined to say it only managed to score a 6.6 because the review system forces you to rate categories like graphics, sounds, etc. and doesn't let you give an overall score.

That is the overall score, though.

It discourages people from rating a game a cruddy 1, or an awesome 10.  A really good game might still have a rating of only 8-9, user submitted.

It makes a perfect 10 hard to come by, which is actually good when reviewing.

Like with SWTOR, I couldn't give it a "1" .. because it did have things going for it, like it's amazing soundtrack and stories.

But if a game is indeed pure crap, great graphics don't mean anything and obscure what you really think of the game. I get that fanbois will give it 10's and h8ters will give it 1's, but so what? If someone thinks a game is a true 7, they are just going to click all 7's. Why go through the charade? Why impose the idea that all the categories are of equal weight?

It's all free will, definitely.  But someone who really evaluates the game will give it higher in some areas and lower in others.  If you go in with what you think a game is worth (and give it 7's in every category), then you are not really evaluating the game.

Look at each category and give it an honest score, and see how the results turn out.  Chances are it will average to what you though it would anyways.  Sometimes it will surprise you, and you will find that even a game you hated isn't actually that bad (vise versa too).

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Considering the worst free to play transition ever in gaming history this game could easily become a 2 out of 10.

Look at tera's,lols, path of exile and marvel heroes free to play model and you will realise what means to be a free to play.

Before free to play swtor republic was a 5/10 for me.After free to play transition the game is 2/10.

• MisterTeaBHMisterTeaBH Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by BadOrb

Just noticed the user review rating went down over night from 7.2 to 6.6 and I feel that's a bit harsh. Considering the game is picking up and there are some great updates / expansion coming up. What do you guys think ? People really do have it in for this game it seems.

Cheers ,

BadOrb.

nope it;s a pretty terrible game, the amount of hype i had for it and then finishing all content within the free month and not resubbing because the pvp system was pretty horrible (ilum and terrible instanced arena system)

also switching to "free to paly".... which i have to pay to access hotbars. are you for real

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    No 6 is what reviewers should have given it in the first place. Frankly its the worst mmo I've played, my personal score would be 2 or 3 out of ten.

so you haven't played very many mmo's then?

it doesn't matter what game it is, look what game has the highest rating right now?

poe? nuff said lol

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

6.6 is a score that says to me, " Mediocre and under developed in many areas".  So for Swtor? 

That's just about perfect.  It's not bad or horrible, but its certainly not good or great either. 

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    yeah, ratings aren't really correct on this site.  People will hype up a game, even if they never played it, or have quit playing it.  Noone ever updates thier reviews unless it's negative (like this game).  WoW has a bad score on here, and it has more people playing it than all the other games on this site combined hehe.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    6.6 is pretty generous to be honest. This game is garbage.

Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by Scottgun Originally posted by Karteli Originally posted by Scottgun Judging by what I've read, I'd be inclined to say it only managed to score a 6.6 because the review system forces you to rate categories like graphics, sounds, etc. and doesn't let you give an overall score.
    That is the overall score, though.   It discourages people from rating a game a cruddy 1, or an awesome 10.  A really good game might still have a rating of only 8-9, user submitted.   It makes a perfect 10 hard to come by, which is actually good when reviewing.   Like with SWTOR, I couldn't give it a "1" .. because it did have things going for it, like it's amazing soundtrack and stories.
      But if a game is indeed pure crap, great graphics don't mean anything and obscure what you really think of the game. I get that fanbois will give it 10's and h8ters will give it 1's, but so what? If someone thinks a game is a true 7, they are just going to click all 7's. Why go through the charade? Why impose the idea that all the categories are of equal weight?
    It's all free will, definitely.  But someone who really evaluates the game will give it higher in some areas and lower in others.  If you go in with what you think a game is worth (and give it 7's in every category), then you are not really evaluating the game.

Look at each category and give it an honest score, and see how the results turn out.  Chances are it will average to what you though it would anyways.  Sometimes it will surprise you, and you will find that even a game you hated isn't actually that bad (vise versa too).

anyone saying this game deserves a 2/10 or is the worst mmo they have ever played have absolutely no credibility as far as i am concerned.

Originally posted by Gravarg
    yeah, ratings aren't really correct on this site.  People will hype up a game, even if they never played it, or have quit playing it.  Noone ever updates thier reviews unless it's negative (like this game).  WoW has a bad score on here, and it has more people playing it than all the other games on this site combined hehe.

the problem is, most these gamers that come here judge games purely on what features it has.

there are games rated way higher than SWTOR that actually are garbage.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    No I think its a little generous to be honest. The game is average at best which is a 5.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Hard to take any "rating" seriously here since it appears everyone and their mother have some sort of "agenda" and can't find the fortitude to actually rate a game on it's merits.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Sounds pretty fair to me.

The score is 1-10, nothing else and giving each and every game an unrealistic high score would be pointless. 5-6 is average and in its current state the game seems pretty average to me.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Well, what do you expect the score to be? 

- Graphics are obviously worse than what was possible 2009, if you take a look at AoC for example, it kicks SWTOR out of the water

- Game has a heavy focus on ALTs, but there are no alternative leveling planets, you need to go through the planets again in same order

- most obvious heavy instancing ever seen, "story areas"

- bugs

- space combat is a joke compared to SWG

- no dynamic NPCs

- no housing features

- no guild cities/player cities

- no animal mounts, pets do nothing

- mounts are wheelchair speed "speeders", zero physics, zero Star Wars sense of speed

- companions often bugged

- loading times are abysmal

- bugs

- planets are designed like corridors, lots of exhaustion zones and static feeling, no day/night change

- heavy cash shop focus, gambling boxes and 18$ mounts

- "life day event" was a "cash-shop event"

- no minigames, no pazaak, no swoop racing

- bugs, more bugs

- server merges, name losses, frustration

- bugs

6.6 is very, very friendly for SWTOR.

On Metacritic the user rating is 5.7 which seems more accurate

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by cronius77

i would seriously like to see the fans of this game come on here and actually compare this game to every other mmorpg out there and rate it accordingly based on how much this game offers vs every other mmo on the market. This game doesnt even offer half the stuff other triple A mmos do and certain people here idolize it. The worst thing of all is this is EA cashing in on the star wars IP because some people would rather just play a crappy star wars game than let it die off and someone make a actual good one.

The pvp is horrible with just a few warfronts you have to randomly queue for and not even allowed to pick them.

There is no end game but raiding and pvp.

All the classes are cookie cutter and limited.

The story is just recycled voice sets over and over again with half the story poorly even written to begin with.

No wardrobe system but augment sets

Terrible graphics and subpar coding on the engine

No personal housing at all or major social hubs

The engine cannot even handle more than 10 people on the screen at once everything is heavily instanced

I hate to sound negative on this game all the time but honestly its just a poorly made game made by a parent company that doesnt give two craps about improving it at all just making money.

Well I like it, for what it offers, but I am not going to justify why I like it to someone who obviously despises it and says so post after post. You will just flame me and to be honest, I think you are coming close to the point of trolling the game.

If you don't like it, don't play it. If you want it to change, go to the forums and post positive criticism. If not, just leave it to those of us who do like it.

Time to move on, don't you think ?

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Actually, I never would have given it much higher than a 7 or 7.5, and now that it's F2P I could see the score going down unless their cash shop model was something akin to Aion's which I don't think it is.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cyandkcyandk Member UncommonPosts: 142
    The four is strong in this once.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    I would rate SWToR 7.5.  In my eyes it is worse then pretty much any AAA MMORPG, but I can still see myself playing it for story and flashpoints. One thing is certain. Bioware has no clue how to make good modern MMORPG
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by BadOrb

Just noticed the user review rating went down over night from 7.2 to 6.6 and I feel that's a bit harsh. Considering the game is picking up and there are some great updates / expansion coming up. What do you guys think ? People really do have it in for this game it seems.

Cheers ,

BadOrb.

In short, no.

However, as many others have stated don't take ANYTHING on this site to seriously.  To be honest, SWTOR is about a 2.2 in my book.  Yes I was (am) a swg fan, but even taking that out of the discussion, just looking at the opportunity they had to make a triple A ganre chanign title, and what did they produce?  Yeah awesome cut scenes and an incredible story.  This, mixed with clunky and generic game play is a lose.

So the 2.2 is for all the piles of cash they threw art writers and CGI creators, the game play, insanely linear story line, and play areas make it a -3 honestly.  But those trailers, they were epic.  yeah.

So, no it is not to harsh at all, it is very charitable imo.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by FromHell

Well, what do you expect the score to be? 

- Graphics are obviously worse than what was possible 2009, if you take a look at AoC for example, it kicks SWTOR out of the water

Graphics aren't stellar I will give you that, but I like the art direction. Alderande is a beautiful planet and Nar Shaada is really well done with its gaudy appearance, wide open vistas where you can see vehicles speeding through the skies, towering sky scrapers on top of other towering sky scrapers, and funny alien advertizements everywhere. I could expand on other planets too, but I don't want to here.

- Game has a heavy focus on ALTs, but there are no alternative leveling planets, you need to go through the planets again in same order

Just play two alts, one on Empire side and one on Rebel side. Don't need to sub for that and you will get the important part of the game for the most part.

- most obvious heavy instancing ever seen, "story areas"

Some of the important quests are instanced, that is true, but the other option would have been phasing to advance the story and that has its own set of problems. I guess devs should learn from WoW and ToR about telling stories in the future. To be honest, this isn't really that different from GW2's way of telling stories, but in that game rather than have green zones that you can go into and red zones you can't, you just have a small green blob appear where you zone into your personal instance. If ToR had done that, would you feel better about it ? It is in fact the same feature though. Do you dislike GW2 too ?

- space combat is a joke compared to SWG

- no dynamic NPCs

What do you mean by dynamic NPCs ?

- no housing features

It might take them some time to get this one out. I don't see why they can't expand on player ships or something and add a housing feature in the future.

- no guild cities/player cities

- no animal mounts, pets do nothing

- mounts are wheelchair speed "speeders", zero physics, zero Star Wars sense of speed

This in my view is not a bad thing even though I find that SWG had slow mounts too. I don't want to speed through the game. You have less chance of interesting encounters such as that Republic elite droid that you didn't see by the side of the road that starts shooting you. If you can just rush past it with 0 danger to you is that really an interesting game ?

- companions often bugged

Have not had this often. Only bug I have noticed is companions not following after picking up mats from a node. Just move back to the companion and they follow. Otherwise, they seem to be fine.

- loading times are abysmal

Depends on the computer. On my laptop they are admittedly bad, but I have seen ToR load up straight away on other rigs.

- planets are designed like corridors, lots of exhaustion zones and static feeling, no day/night change

Agree for day and night. However, the planets open up a lot after Tatooine.

- heavy cash shop focus, gambling boxes and 18$ mounts

Ignore if if you don't like it. That is what I do.

- no minigames, no pazaak, no swoop racing

Space combat is not a minigame ? I would like to see pazaak and swoop racing and other stuff added for sure.

- server merges, name losses, frustration

Can't comment since I had no issues.

6.6 is very, very friendly for SWTOR.

On Metacritic the user rating is 5.7 which seems more accurate

In green, it is clear you want SWG2 but ToR never advertized itself as being SWG2. ToR is fine as an expanded-upon KoToR : it is KoToR 3 with MMORPG elements thrown in and in that sense ToR is exactly what EA advertized it would be. I am sorry you feel that it is disappointing, but what you are advocating is basically a total overhaul of everything so essentially a game that ToR is not.

I want EA to take their current game and expand on it, that is what I am hoping for. So no, even though I love player cities, I don't want to see that in ToR because I think it would be very difficult to implement, but expanding on ships and things of that sort would be cool. Expanding on space combat but using the current system is more realistic than adding JTL into the game. Continuing storylines, adding more chapters, expanding on the legacy system, adding more planets of all levels, etc.

I want SWG2 too, but in a different game world where the devs have more freedom of development and aren't limited by IP stuff.

All games are buggy.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.