Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst ever purchases?

Comments

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    My worst purchase was Guild Wars, HATED that game.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Dark and Light since it never really...was.

If I buy a CE (like SWTOR) and then it tanks either for me or in general, I don't feel a lot of regret. While I might have been better off with the money still in pocket (likely to buy another game that will collect dust on my shelf) I made a decision to buy it  for the perks fully understanding the risks.

It's been so long since I had a long term home game I've pretty much begun to assume it might not happen again. Given the past few years track record, I was thinking earlier today that I might just have to expect to get a month or 2..perhaps 3 in a very unusual circumstance...out of a game and then move on. I usually migrate back to a game I've left for a month here and there but overall...short term enjoyment. 3 or 4 games in a good year and that will see me through the year.

I wouldn't say FF14 was a waste as my key should get me into ARR which I am looking forward to but it was disappointing that the design was so extremely bad.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I honestly do not regret one single MMORPG purchase I have made... but then I am not that susceptible to hype as to get swept up in something I wouldn't like and I read up on games to find out what they are about pre purchase. This is why I won't be getting TESO, for example.

Even something like GW2 gave me a solid month of play as a single player game and was a lot of fun while it lasted, well worth the box price IMO.

Maybe the two games I got least play out of were WAR and LotR though. Neither held me for long. I don't have any regrets over them though as even they held me longer then most single player games these days in terms of hours played.

• MarcelinoMarcelino Member UncommonPosts: 124

For me is was Anarchy Online, I dont regret it now, but back in 2001 I was tearing my hair out. I bought it on day one.

I remember screaming at my old Pentium 4 computer because I couldnt connect for days, calling funcom and demanding my money back, finding out that my credit card details where not on a secure server.  it was the worst launch of an MMO in the history of MMO's.

But after six months I did go back to it and try it again. Ended up playing it for 4 years, created a great guild, made some amazing friends, had some great times with my NT.

It just goes to show that giving them a second chance really paid off.

• ChristoooChristooo Member UncommonPosts: 86

Probably SWTOR - first MMO ever that I never reached cap it just was so boring/generic and i couldn't push myself to reach it. Even the story was boring as hell to me even though I am an avid Star Wars Fan.

Apart from that nothing else  even if I get 10 hours entertainment from it; means it worthwhile

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by Ambros123

I would never throw in GW2 as a worst purchase.  It retains it's value, just like GW1 did.  Love or hate it you still can always go back to it to check things out, do events, ect ect from time to time without having to pay a dime unlike WoW or any P2P MMO.

Worst purchase...hmmm.... likely SWTOR or Rift.  Total waste of money, still have the free 30 day play time with Rift so Rift might be the worst purchase as at least with SWTOR I played the betas and played at launch for a bit.

Oh, you got GW2 for free somehow? Lucky!

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Auto Assault.  I picked it up and was going to start playing it, but I didn't get around to it right away. Next thing I know, the servers are down and I never even started the install.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

worst for me was Aion, could not even play free month.

second worst was GW2, as it far to be what it promised, far to be even what GW1 was.

if we can add to purchase money spend on f2p with lot of regrets it will be Runes of Magic.

Happy I never bought SWTOR, LOTRO, TERA and many others I was hypo about.

The funny thing is you continue to play a game you think is horrible. Hopefully your life improves so you don't have to literally waste your time havning no fun.

• ThaneSolusThaneSolus Member Posts: 32

Diablo RMT III 

• KarnijKarnij Member Posts: 6
    SWTOR and Darkfall Unholy Wars were my worst purchases.

:P

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    A game called Digital Combat Simulator: A-10C Warthog through Steam. I have not been able to get it to work, and have put in several tickets to them about it with no luck so far.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Worst purchases for me were Vanguard, PoTBS, STO,  SWTOR, GW2, TSW, MO, DF

Ones that were borderline but I felt I barely got my monies worth was WAR, AoC and EVE

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    GW2, for me, without question.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Hellgate: London.

All of the games since have failed to even approach its weight class, let alone challenge for the title.

Now, Worst Billing Debacle--that one sticks with Funcom. Not that AoC had anything resembling a smooth launch either.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by tixylix

For me it has to be.

SWTOR - The Collectors Edition.

I knew the game was crap, I played it in beta and hated it and yet for some reason I still got caught up in the hype as it had been so long since I played another MMO.

Guild Wars 2.

I keep getting caught up because there hasn't been an MMO I've liked since SWG was ruined on Nov 15th 2005. I dunno why I keep doing it to myself, I just want that experience of being in a world and yet none of these games feel like worlds, all just feel like games.

Never enjoyed any game more then swtor with exception of wow. Now also having a blast with gw2.

Maybe you should found your gaming company to make mmo to your exclusive liking.

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

Hellgate: London.

SWToR - (did make it to cap though, so I technically got my monies worth, would tell my past self not ot buy it still though.

Dark and Light - this is the WORST piece of shit I ever put money down for, utter garbage.

Mortal Online - This was utter shit, utter utter shit. I thank it however because it is the reason my guild formed.

Warhammer Online - made it to level 25, then quit, bad game.

Vanguard Saga of Heroes - at release this was... bad.

Yea Dark and Light rules the roost of bad purchases - from the moment I logged in and my frames never rose above 5..

Dreadful piece of garbage, how anyone could justify releasing that...

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

SW:TOR CE... huge waste of money. I logged on today as a free account and noted they have added nothing to the CE vendor other than a Tauntaun since release yet the cartel store is constantly updated with new items. Complete bullshit.

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Guild Wars 2, not because it is bad game but it is not for my taste. I bought  and play for 3-4h
  • Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192
    GW2, completely let me down.

Killing dragons is my shit

• AralvarAralvar Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Reizla

We're talking about MMORPGs? Then I'd say Guild Wars 2 and Warhammer online. Guess both are worst for me because of the grouped dynamic events. Fun idea but it kinda feels like playing solo...

Non-MMORPGs is a long list. But looking price/value wise (ie most expensive with shortedt playtime) I think it's Oblivion and Civilization IV. Oblivion because I was spoiled by Morrowind's deep system and Oblivion feld kinda shallow after that. Civ4 because it's just the worst civ-game ver made. Good thing that Civ5 is so much better (back to that Civ1+3 feeling)

Oblivion? Lol sure, even though they fixed the combat system, made exploration more fun, improved the physics and graphics, got rid of the 90% text conversations, and the world felt a lot more interesting? Please don't spew this nonsense about Morrowind having a "deep system". The world was depressing, exploring was lackluster, CLIFF RACERS, the combat system was atrocious, you read more text than you would in one of those old text based RPG games, and the game itself feels very dated. Your worst purchase was probably those nostalgia goggles that you glued to your face before you play Oblivion.

Worst MMORPG purchase? Runescape probably. For some reason, when I was much younger, I enjoyed the game and wanted membership. But of course, realized too late that there's no point in getting membership unless you're going to keep it forever (items become unusable, quests and areas are blocked off). And the game itself is rather plain.

Non-mmorpg, maybe CSGO, bought it to play with a group that I'm a part of but never got into it. The game feels like an overrated (a Valve game, so of course it will be) and more polished version of CSS. Or maybe all those CoD games I bought, I do enjoy the singleplayer (no flaming me plz) on all the ones I bought (CoD4 to MW3), but some of them I barely played the multiplayer of and now I feel like it was a waste. Then again, I actually used to enjoy CoD's multiplayer back then.

• HikaruShidouHikaruShidou Member UncommonPosts: 163

Luckily I got to beta test SWTOR, so I knew it would fail to keep the sub system. I cancelled my pre-order and saved money on the CE xD

My worst buy however is quite sad....

Hellgate London (great game imo, but it shut down)

GW2 (let down, don't play it much)

D3: CE 

TSW: Founder *sigh*

Champions online founder *double sigh*

Anyways, I learned my lesson, no more CE or founder. Most MMO are coming out with cash shop bullshit anyways that will release CE perks later on for small cash compared to the CE price.

• AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    For me, it would have to be FFXIV and Vanguard.  Both were huge disappointments and that's coming from all three gamers in this household.  Even though GW2 isn't what we'd hope it would be, so far it's still playable but with every patch that pushes you in the store's direction a little harder, it's allure is diminishing. :/
  • charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381

Hellgate is actully back now and has for a while and im saying company not games, as the worse company for me is NCSOFT,

I bought all there games like COX and auto assault and a few others that thay desided to close down.

• OldbugssOldbugss Member UncommonPosts: 22

For me as well as many SWTOR. The great feeling was not buying the collectors edition after seeing one for $30.00

at a retail store.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Mines of Moria and further LoTRO expansions when my character was mid levels. Not saying its bad but I never actually reached Moria, so it was a waste.