Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hoping for a lengthy campaign

2»

Comments

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by Magiknight

FFXIV ARR is nothing like  (old school) FFXI. Just off the top of my head....

FFXI                                                             FFXIV

long ladder to the top                                   short ladder to the top

expensive items                                          you can afford anything

open world you have to explore                  go from one exclamation point to the next

meaningful death penalty                           spend 5 minutes worth of money to repair armor after dying

> 75% content mandates groups               solo all you want

specialized jobs                                          each job performs numerous roles

no instances prior to ToAU                         virtually every dungeon and all end game content is instanced

on and on....

When you play it you will reach max level within a month if you play casually. Then you will do raids and dungeons with linkshells in instances so that you can get tons of gold and items. There will be a ridiculous number of quests. Each quest will require you to follow one point after the next on your mini map so that you can be ridiculously rewarded. So each quest is basically the same. Not one will require you to spend days doing. Each quest will be done within an hour.  Short and sweet sums up FFXIV.

And your facts are based on what?

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Alpha play and interviews

How about a link to the statement "you can afford anything"?

You are making it sound like ARR will be a five minute wonder, and that the game will be all done and dusted in a month.  Just wrong.

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298

We'll never get another FFXI pre-abyssea style game.  Just look at the comments in this thread, and you'll see exactly why.  Everyone who played it like it was ment to be played say it was f'ing amazing, but the people who played it like WoW say it was a boring job. 

MMO's aren't just becoming dumbed down and casual... they are catering to kids that should be playing single player mmo's on coop mode.  It's so hard to see an entire genre destroyed by punks that have no experience in what mmo's used to be.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

FFXI  without any expansions and when it first started up had its charms and it was nice that it wasn't easy, but you where paying to sit around and say "Looking for group!" if you where anything but a white mage/bard for the most part, and god help you if you where a worthless summoner.

Also making some of the classes so hard to get by yourself made the playerbases "selection" pretty crappy even if you could look past the "We have 92384932843294832 damage dealers looking for groups already..." aspect.

Forcing you to group made for an EQ experience where you waited for 4-5 hours for a group..

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by zellmer

FFXI  without any expansions and when it first started up had its charms and it was nice that it wasn't easy, but you where paying to sit around and say "Looking for group!" if you where anything but a white mage/bard for the most part, and god help you if you where a worthless summoner.

Also making some of the classes so hard to get by yourself made the playerbases "selection" pretty crappy even if you could look past the "We have 92384932843294832 damage dealers looking for groups already..." aspect.

Forcing you to group made for an EQ experience where you waited for 4-5 hours for a group..

People keep saying this, but I never waited for groups for more than 10-20 minutes.  I mean how could you be sitting waiting for a group when there were 20 jobs to level?  Find the party leaders for the different group levels and send them messages saying you were lfg for all the jobs you were leveling.  Most of the time they would give you a eta on the next person leaving or simply they didn't need your job.  If you were leveling up a less desired job at the time then you set up a static with your friends.   I lvl'd 18/20 jobs to 75 just fine this way, and after a while people were sending me tells asking if i had anything i wanted to xp.

I find it crazy that people couldn't make enough friends to always have lvling partners in a game that was as social as ffxi.

Originally posted by tollbooth
    Originally posted by zellmer

People keep saying this, but I never waited for groups for more than 10-20 minutes.  I mean how could you be sitting waiting for a group when there were 20 jobs to level?  Find the party leaders for the different group levels and send them messages saying you were lfg for all the jobs you were leveling.  Most of the time they would give you a eta on the next person leaving or simply they didn't need your job.  If you were leveling up a less desired job at the time then you set up a static with your friends.   I lvl'd 18/20 jobs to 75 just fine this way, and after a while people were sending me tells asking if i had anything i wanted to xp.

I find it crazy that people couldn't make enough friends to always have lvling partners in a game that was as social as ffxi.

Agree with tollbooth on this one, instead of sitting around lfg, how about creating your own party, joining or creating a linkshell with like minded people, or doing other content while flagged, it wasnt like there wasnt a ton of content to do.  MMO's should be social games with social interactions, half the problem with companies churning out rubbish MMO's these days is because players are whining about the need to join others to overcome obstacles.

I made some good friends from Australia and Asia in FFXI, its great way to find new friends from around the world.

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye

How about a link to the statement "you can afford anything"?

You are making it sound like ARR will be a five minute wonder, and that the game will be all done and dusted in a month.  Just wrong.

I dont think he was saying "Five minute wonder."  He was just pointing out there ARE differences.  The interviews and videos are all on here posted by that crazy fanboy darknessreign or someone. 

Also based on how FFXIV was right before the servers went down, we CAN safely assume lvling will be faster, lots of instances, money flows easily, etc. etc.  Of course the game will be different from then, but we can figure out the general direction Yoshi was going before it shut down, and from that we can know the future.

Of course all of this can be avoided if jp's just told us the specific details and stopped acting like how lvling works/the graphics/economy etc. was some big MMO secret!  *getting tired of their constant secrecy sourrounding every mundane detail.

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

Each quest will require you to follow one point after the next on your mini map so that you can be ridiculously rewarded. So each quest is basically the same. Not one will require you to spend days doing. Each quest will be done within an hour.  Short and sweet sums up FFXIV.

Obviously you never did the relic weapon quest.  Required a ton of Hamlet grinding, millions of gil spent on buying the starter weapon or blowing up synths on double materia melds, not to mention the levequest, 17 minute dungeon runs, Ifrit Xtreme and Garuda kills.  It took nearly a month to complete this "quest".  Granted, it wasn't as lengthy as relics in FFXI, but you didn't have to rely on 40+ other people to get currency or NM kills either.

To address the topic, a game like pre-Abyssea FFXI won't financially succeed in today's world.  The people playing FFXI 10 years have (mostly) grown up and have responsibilities that keep them from sitting in front of their computer for 10 hours at a time.  The newer generation coming into gaming have the instant gratification mindset.  A small vocal minority are the only people that still want a game like FFXI to be around, probably mostly due to some nostalgic feelings towards it.

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    could never get into FF11...coudnt get passed the REQUIRED TO BE IN A PARTY aspect of it. I like to solo things as im not good at making friends :p

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by nbtscan

Each quest will require you to follow one point after the next on your mini map so that you can be ridiculously rewarded. So each quest is basically the same. Not one will require you to spend days doing. Each quest will be done within an hour.  Short and sweet sums up FFXIV.

Obviously you never did the relic weapon quest.  Required a ton of Hamlet grinding, millions of gil spent on buying the starter weapon or blowing up synths on double materia melds, not to mention the levequest, 17 minute dungeon runs, Ifrit Xtreme and Garuda kills.  It took nearly a month to complete this "quest".  Granted, it wasn't as lengthy as relics in FFXI, but you didn't have to rely on 40+ other people to get currency or NM kills either.

To address the topic, a game like pre-Abyssea FFXI won't financially succeed in today's world.  The people playing FFXI 10 years have (mostly) grown up and have responsibilities that keep them from sitting in front of their computer for 10 hours at a time.  The newer generation coming into gaming have the instant gratification mindset.  A small vocal minority are the only people that still want a game like FFXI to be around, probably mostly due to some nostalgic feelings towards it.

I played FFXI for five years and I rarely played more than 20 hours a week. There were a few months where I hardly logged on. It didn't matter that I wasn't reaching max level or hadn't completed the ROZ missions. Just because it was a slow game didn't mean you had to play it for 10 hours a day. This is the mindset that drives me crazy when people talk about themepark games. They actually believe that an MMO can only start once you have reached the endgame. An MMO can have a slower pace and you still don't have to spend 10 hours a day playing it.