Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: The most influential mmorpg of 2012

Comments

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I'm really curious at what it is with the "no love for GW2" crowd, where they can't remain focused on multiple points, but instead can only seem to pay attention to one point at a time.

If you would have read the original post, you would see that I also mention the fact of all the awards it's won, and the critical acclaim that has been given to GW2.  WoW did get some moderate reviews but influential it is not. And SWTOR could have been a contender as far as being most influential, but sadly there just wasn't enough to be excited about.  

The game has multiple awards from multiple reveiwers. People can't stop talking about it, even 5 months after release it is still topping the numbers.  The new patch is being well received and it's looking like it's bringing people BACK that left.

"Anyways, eyelolled seems to think popularity directly converts to influence , however that is not the case and i'll bring up an example.

Kony 2012, who remembers this? Probably forgot about it by now didn't you, anyways, this surged, it became huge within hours and gigantic within days, was going to be a crazy event for the whole world to stop this overlord in Africa, got so much attention, but in the end when it came down to it, nobody ended up doing anything and it influenced nobody.

Popularity or page views in eyelolled case with regard to GW2, do not directly convert to influence. How much something has influenced something else is not measurable and this thread is just sensationalist speculations."

Also about your awards thing, SWTOR won tons of awards and was the most viewed for many months after it's release, yet people don't find it influential at all. It got all 90+ from review sites and won 4/6 awards at Gamers choice awards even though most people thought it was garbage.

Not to mention, we know WoW has more players than GW2, we know it's been more "influential" over the years, we know it's more popular, but on this site WoW gets almost no hits, it's beat out by no-name F2P games, because this site barely talks about WoW, it talkes about GW2 a lot, this site has always heavily favored GW2. So in the end, like I said, if you have any sort of point, it's that GW2 was the most influential MMO on this site if anything.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

I'm really curious at what it is with the "no love for GW2" crowd, where they can't remain focused on multiple points, but instead can only seem to pay attention to one point at a time.

If you would have read the original post, you would see that I also mention the fact of all the awards it's won, and the critical acclaim that has been given to GW2.  WoW did get some moderate reviews but influential it is not. And SWTOR could have been a contender as far as being most influential, but sadly there just wasn't enough to be excited about.  

The game has multiple awards from multiple reveiwers. People can't stop talking about it, even 5 months after release it is still topping the numbers.  The new patch is being well received and it's looking like it's bringing people BACK that left.

"Anyways, eyelolled seems to think popularity directly converts to influence , however that is not the case and i'll bring up an example.

Kony 2012, who remembers this? Probably forgot about it by now didn't you, anyways, this surged, it became huge within hours and gigantic within days, was going to be a crazy event for the whole world to stop this overlord in Africa, got so much attention, but in the end when it came down to it, nobody ended up doing anything and it influenced nobody.

Popularity or page views in eyelolled case with regard to GW2, do not directly convert to influence. How much something has influenced something else is not measurable and this thread is just sensationalist speculations."

Also about your awards thing, SWTOR won tons of awards and was the most viewed for many months after it's release, yet people don't find it influential at all. It got all 90+ from review sites and won 4/6 awards at Gamers choice awards.

SWTOR was receiving it's awards within 1 month of release. People didn't hardly have a chance to play it before reaching those decisions, GW2 received it's awards after months of being released.

And just because you want to deny something, your own actions speak louder than your words.  GW2 is more than half of your post history in how long? How long has GW2 been the PRIMARY game you talk about?  How long have you been denying how big a role it plays in your life?

EDIT: BTW, I am not implying that SWTOR didn't deserve it's awards. I'm simply showing that the situations are different.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

I love how you justify me arguing with you as proof that GW2 is most influential, if anything it's you who is influential if you want to go that route and no, SWTOR did not receive most of it's awards a month after release.

SWTOR won 4/6 awards at Gamers choice in October 2012, almost a year after release.

Like I said, the only possible case you might have is that GW2 is most influential on this site. In Korea for example barely anyone knows or cares about GW2.

This site has been extremely pro-GW2 for almost 2 years, it brought in a lot of GW2 fans, so of course GW2 gets the most views here, but who knows what the page hits are for the thousands of other sites? Nobody.

I love how you justify me arguing with you as proof that GW2 is most influential, if anything it's you who is influential if you want to go that route and no, SWTOR did not receive most of it's awards a month after release.

SWTOR won 4/6 awards at Gamers choice in October 2012, almost a year after release.

Like I said, the only possible case you might have is that GW2 is most influential on this site. In Korea for example barely anyone knows what GW2 is.

Why thank you, but I can't claim to have caused the 9.6 million hits that GW2 received here over the last year.

I didn't realize that. Good for them! I've honestly always wanted SWTOR to do reasonably well.

I would be willing to agree with you that GW2 is the most influential on this site, but probably not in Korea.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128
    It was meh.  Maxed a char, so I got my monies worth.

Like I said, the only possible case you might have is that GW2 is most influential on this site. In Korea for example barely anyone knows what GW2 is.

Why thank you, but I can't claim to have caused the 9.6 million hits that GW2 received here over the last year.

I didn't realize that. Good for them! I've honestly always wanted SWTOR to do reasonably well.

I would be willing to agree with you that GW2 is the most influential on this site, but probably not in Korea.

Certainly wasn't implying that, was just making a point with regards to you using my posts in this thread as a measure of how GW2 was influential to me lol.

I like the Christmas thing we've got going on.

Alas, it seems our argument is drawing to a close. Like i've said page views on a particular site or page views in general don't directly convert to influence, when we start seeing developers stating they looked at GW2 for inspiration like GW2 developers stated about other games, then we can bring this thread back up.

Certainly wasn't implying that, was just making a point with regards to you using my posts in this thread as a measure of how GW2 was influential to me lol.

I like the Christmas thing we've got going on.

Alas, it seems our argument is drawing to a close. Like i've said page views on a particular site or page views in general don't directly convert to influence, when we start seeing developers stating they looked at GW2 for inspiration like GW2 developers stated about other games, then we can bring this thread back up.

Ok. Just one last question. Do you always tend to expend this much time and energy into something that is meaningless to you?

I enjoy an argument every now and then, I spend a lot of time on forums and I'm responding to you while waiting for new posts on other forums. Even if I did care as much as you think, which I don't, it would be moreso that I care about the argument and getting my point across rather than GW2 itself.

I enjoy an argument every now and then, I spend a lot of time on forums and I'm responding to you while waiting for new posts on other forums. Even if I did care as much as you think, which I don't, it would be moreso that I care about the argument and getting my point across rather than GW2 itself.

Well  I guess thats makes us even, cause I don't believe you either.   :)

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Re gw2, if it was not the most influential mmorg, what the hell was?

Isn't this unknowable until we see the next wave of mmo's come out?

So far, we don't have a post-GW2 released mmo which was obviously influenced by GW2.

What post-GW2 games are directly influenced by it? MoP? Storm Legion? That's pretty much the only thing we've seen post-GW2, they are only expansions and they were influenced in NO WAY by GW2.

I think this entire thread is under a misconception of what the word 'influential' means.

I think the word everyone is really thinking of is 'innovative'.

We won't know what games GW2 influenced, until we see games come out, which were , in fact,  'influenced' by it.

------------------------------------------------------

And here is one to throw a bunch of you off.....

Some of the most influential games from the past were Rift and WAR. Because it is quite obvious, GW2,  was heavily influenced by them.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it. 

I'm sorry if this comes off as snarky - but pull out a dictionary for God's sake.

Its not hard to work out what the OP meant, but i will rephrase the OP's words to help.  What game produced in GW2 do you think is/will be the most infuential?  and was GW2 influenced by Rift really? may want to research that one..

No it is not hard to figure out. 

But I apologize and stand corrected. Turns out WAR was the more influential. We can now add Rift as a second game directly influenced by WAR. Thank you all for correcting me.

I see that Neverwinter is taking the lead for today in hits, which is nice because I think other games should get a chance to be popular too. It's not ALL about GW2 after all, even if it's the game that the majority of people have been most interested in over the entire course of the last year.

It's going to be an interesting year with the prospect of GW2 releasing an expansion pack. It's quite likely that it will stay the most popular title for 2013 too!

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by pioneer08
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Not so fast GW2 fan! If in the near future we see other MMOs adopting things like no trinity, the downed mechanic in PvE and PvP, hearts and dynamic events, overflow servers etc then we might say it's influential. Until then, patience.

I can't see any other game, from last year, that other companies will be influenced by. I am happy that there is no trinity as I am bored to death with that simplified game mechanic. It was used a crutch for too long.

How on earth is all-dps more complex than the trinity? 

It is not ALL DPS and that is where you are having issues.  With all of my characters I do a little but of it all. and you have to in GW2. If you went all DPS, you would besically be dead 95% of the time.

The trinity is simple-minded because ALL THE TANK DOES IS - DUH TANK, ETC. It is such a not complex game mechanic and that is why it first came out - it was the simplest type of game mechanic to create.

Good lord.  I'm tired of GW2 fans calling other game systems, and by extension the people that play and enjoy them, simple minded.  They seem to think that if we don't appreciate all the awesome greatness that is GW2 that somehow we're stupid or we "just don't get it".  Its insulting and annoying.  Stop it.

Comparitively the system is simpler, he isnt saying people playing trinity games are simpler, just that the system is.

Without the trinity, everyone needs to work as a team to be successful. Everyone has to defend other group members, everyone has to take turns of drawing the mobs ire, everyone has to contribute to damage (or just res zerg - which they are removing, and isnt the intentional way to play).

With the trinity if someone dies, its the healers fault for not healing, or the tanks fault for not holding aggro. Thats as complicated as it gets. Tanks taunt, healers heal, dps deal damage. Sure you can throw in some utility who buff, but that doesnt make it overly complicated.  

I appreciate that some people prefer to play the trinity, that they feel special for being the person that keeps other people alive, or holds aggro against high dps. My friend refuses to play any games where he cant be a healer because that is the role he likes. But lets call a spade a spade, trinity makes the game a lot simpler.

Another one.image

Look, if you and other people enjoy the way GW2 works, fine.  Awesome.  Good for you.  But please stop with the passive aggressive insults towards people that don't like it and enjoy something else.  And yes, he and other GW2 fans ARE saying people who enjoy the trinity are simple minded fools who are too stupid to "get" GW2.

Its not passive aggressive, its just telling you how it is.

Having one very defined role to play is simpler than multitasking.

If you prefer having a defined role, thats fine, but lets call a spade a spade shall we?

I take it you have never ran a raid in a trinity mmo? I bet you have never tried to heal, clear wounds, poisons and other effects while your healing your party while paying attention to the boss mechanics. If you think just because you have determined role you are not multitasking then you have never played an mmo.

What a stupid comment. I raided in progression guilds in EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vanguard and a bunch of forgetable easy games (SWTOR, Rift etc).

The only one out of all of those that had remotely difficult raids was EQ2, and most of that was due to split second timing for fail conditions, rather than actual difficulty. I have played tanks, healers and DPS, none of them would be considered 'difficult'.

Don't try to pidgeonhole me as a MMO noob just because I think the GW2 system is more in-depth and less training wheels like trinity MMOs.

Originally posted by drivendawn

Sorry but I played GW2 and without the trinity its a mindless zerg fest in open world and dungens have an every man for them selves feeling to them with a little crowd control. The trinity gives more of a group dynamic in my opinion. 

I'm trying to be respectful of your opinion, but I can't help but express that you're only seeing the side of a person that didn't understand how to play and/or grouped only with people that didn't know how to play.

When you have open world events, and the game is extremely popular, than there is going to be large numbers of people doing an event simultaneously.  It's just the way it works.  Some other options that you can have is lineups of people waiting to be the first at tagging the mob next, or instances that have less people.  I think I prefer the GW2 method.

And in dungeons, there is a specific set of mechanics that each boss has, and if you don't work within those mechanics, than you die alot.  That means that the group has to REALLY work together, not blame the 1 guy who made a mistake and wiped the party.  You see, in GW2 everybody HAS to have everybody else's back.  There isn't 1 person responsible for healing or tanking, it's everybody. If the heavy is getting beat down, then somebody better jump in there and save his ass because you NEED each and every person.

GW2 isn't like so many "easy-mode" trinity games, it requires teamwork and cohesion. Alot of people have difficulty "making the grade" so to speak, and I think thats why we hear comments like that.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Originally posted by drivendawn

Sorry but I played GW2 and without the trinity its a mindless zerg fest in open world and dungens have an every man for them selves feeling to them with a little crowd control. The trinity gives more of a group dynamic in my opinion. 

I'm trying to be respectful of your opinion, but I can't help but express that you're only seeing the side of a person that didn't understand how to play and/or grouped only with people that didn't know how to play.

When you have open world events, and the game is extremely popular, than there is going to be large numbers of people doing an event simultaneously.  It's just the way it works.  Some other options that you can have is lineups of people waiting to be the first at tagging the mob next, or instances that have less people.  I think I prefer the GW2 method.

And in dungeons, there is a specific set of mechanics that each boss has, and if you don't work within those mechanics, than you die alot.  That means that the group has to REALLY work together, not blame the 1 guy who made a mistake and wiped the party.  You see, in GW2 everybody HAS to have everybody else's back.  There isn't 1 person responsible for healing or tanking, it's everybody. If the heavy is getting beat down, then somebody better jump in there and save his ass because you NEED each and every person.

GW2 isn't like so many "easy-mode" trinity games, it requires teamwork and cohesion. Alot of people have difficulty "making the grade" so to speak, and I think thats why we hear comments like that.

But eyelolled, don't you know that having all the best gear on your tanky warrior + an unkillable healer is skill and GW2 combat is for noobs?

Psyke!

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

But eyelolled, don't you know that having all the best gear on your tanky warrior + an unkillable healer is skill and GW2 combat is for noobs?

Psyke!

Yestaerday id did 2 paths of one dungeon for first time with my guild.

We had 0 wipes. Even when few guildies swapped to lowbie alts for end bosses for xp. Character i played is still in mix of rares/masterwork gear (still havent decided on final build/gear). Yet crapload of people complain they cant finish them without rez zerging. *shrug*

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Is this entire thread just one huge troll? 
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by MightyChasm
    Is this entire thread just one huge troll? 

Not sure what you mean by that.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

They had to fire a large portion of their staff, they have hugely declining population numbers and their content updates are pathetic. They're close to server merges.

Yeah, it's influential alright.

It taught games companies to:

• Not avoid the cornerstone of MMOs which is the individuality you get from class roles
    • Not force your game out 6 months early
    • Ensure you don't undershoot then quickly overshoot your customer service teams, costing yourself a fortune
    • Ensure you provide restitution for those who need help / got hacked. Two of my friends accounts were hacked and ANET told them to re-roll.
    • Make sure you launch with more max level content than one end game zone, a handful of untested crappy dungeons, 3 battlegrounds and a basic zerg rehashed copy/paste WvW system.
    God knows what else it taught companies. I can see the PowerPoint presentation in a meeting now "What ANET did that we should not"
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by SuperNick

They had to fire a large portion of their staff, they have hugely declining population numbers and their content updates are pathetic. They're close to server merges.

• Not avoid the cornerstone of MMOs which is the individuality you get from class roles
    • Ensure you don't undershoot then quickly overshoot your customer service teams, costing yourself a fortune
    • Ensure you provide restitution for those who got hacked. Two of my friends accounts were hacked and ANET told them to re-roll.
    • Make sure you launch with more content than one end game zone, a handful of untested crappy dungeons, 3 battlegrounds and a basic zerg rehashed copy/paste WvW system.
    God knows what else it taught companies. I can see the PowerPoint presentation in a meeting now "What ANET did that we should not"

what are you talking about? they have been hiring more people for months..  and has had more content in 6 months than manyt sub games release in a year

maybe you are thinking of TSW or TERA perhaps?

just look at https://www.guildwars2.com/en/ and go to the third tab on the frontpage.. still hiring

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

• Ensure you provide restitution for those who need help / got hacked. Two of my friends accounts were hacked and ANET told them to re-roll.
    • Make sure you launch with more max level content than one end game zone, a handful of untested crappy dungeons, 3 battlegrounds and a basic zerg rehashed copy/paste WvW system.

Good luck proving ANY of that.  And I mean any.  Most ignorant post of the day goes to you.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

• Ensure you provide restitution for those who got hacked. Two of my friends accounts were hacked and ANET told them to re-roll.
    • Make sure you launch with more content than one end game zone, a handful of untested crappy dungeons, 3 battlegrounds and a basic zerg rehashed copy/paste WvW system.

what are you talking about? they have been hiring more people for months..  and has had more content in 6 months than manyt sub games release in a year

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/182894/More_NCsoft_layoffs_this_time_in_Seattle.php

Originally posted by Leucent

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/182894/More_NCsoft_layoffs_this_time_in_Seattle.php

odd since they are still hiring if you go to https://www.guildwars2.com/en/ and go to third tab on that page shows them still hiring

http://www.arena.net/jobs/

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

just look at https://www.guildwars2.com/en/ and go to the third tab on the frontpage.. still hiring

They laid off a massive chunk of their customer support staff due to the decreased demand. And last time I logged in (last week) there was some kinda new tier of gear and one new dungeon. The last time I logged in was like September and that was the content added over the last 6 months you call worth a damn?

They promised regular, large content updates each month and an entire expansion in 6 months. What we seemingly got was a few minor changes, a new dungeon and a new tier of gear.

They laid off a massive chunk of their customer support staff due to the decreased demand. And last time I logged in (last week) there was some kinda new tier of gear and one new dungeon. The last time I logged in was like September and that was the content added over the last 6 months you call worth a damn?

They promised regular,l arge content updates each month and an entire expansion in 6 months, let alone a few minor changes, a new dungeon and a new tier of gear.

FOTM is hardly ONE new dungeon

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Oh and as an FYI, many of the GW2 fans quit MMORPG because of the trolls here, they didn't quit the game. Something I've thought about doing myself.

Lol, I highly doubt that, you have to preach about GW2 to keep yourself sane.

Also i'm not on an anti-GW2 campaign, i'm making a point, that GW2 will become lost in a sea of MMOs just like every other MMO in history besides WoW.

There's nothing thats setting it ahead of the rest and it's playerbase isn't increasing. It's going to go the way of SW:TOR.

It's still a huge success obviously but in the end it's nothing more than one MMO in a sea of them, maybe i'm on a anti-GW2 sensationalist threads campaign. Because I don't hate the game itself but I hate the way some posters speak of it.

See here is the thing. In your last 20 posts, at least half of them were about  GW2 or mentioned GW2.  Now, you're in a thread that talks about how GW2 is influential because people keep talking about, and yet you deny it by talking about it.

Do you see the irony?

I make a lot of posts about TERA, probably more about TERA than GW2, does that mean TERA is more influential than GW2?

I've played GW2 and TERA recently, GW2 was released later and is more popular so it gets more discussions, thus it's something I comment on frequently.

It has nothing to do with it's influence on the MMO genre and there's no irony behind it.

If SWTOR wasn't over a year old and still had sensationalist threads about it on a regular basis like you're making about GW2 right now i'd be commenting there too, but alas, that is not the case.

Well it's nice that you make a lot of posts about TERA. Not quite half your posts, but a good number. So you could definately make  a thread called "I am really influenced by TERA"

However, this post was made about everyone, and the cumulative amount of hits that GW2 received compared to ANY and EVERY OTHER game. Maybe you missed the number but it exceeds 3 TIMES the amount of any other games hits.  And it's almost 6 times as many hits as TERA.

While you might think it's not influential because you post almost as much about TERA, the cumulative effect from all the people posting tells a different story. GW2 is the most talked about, most noticed, most influential mmorpg out there, and every post you make arguing the fact just adds to me being right.

Pivot, you lost.

I have read, for 9 pages now, eyelolled rebutting all points you make........effectively.  You lost your game of patty-cake.

I feel as if the next thing you will say is, "MOTHER will hear about this!"