Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Neverwinter: Hope & Fear All at Once

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Originally posted by julienkage
    With the foundry, what is to stop a player from making an "XP Farm" adventure with asstons of magical items that are just there for the taking? Why has no one brought this issue up?

Hummmmmm...........good point and I do not remember seeing anything about this possible issue.

because they already talked about putting in limitations on things like drops and xp to keep this from happening.. ill see if i can find it

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    With the foundry, what is to stop a player from making an "XP Farm" adventure with asstons of magical items that are just there for the taking? Why has no one brought this issue up?

Hummmmmm...........good point and I do not remember seeing anything about this possible issue.

because they already talked about putting in limitations on things like drops and xp to keep this from happening.. ill see if i can find it

Ok a link would be awesome.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Ok a link would be awesome.

here is one http://www.gamersnexus.net/pax/807-neverwinter-online-pax-12-preview

Templates and restrictions will be implemented to help control/prevent item farming, treasure rooms, and XP farms.

but the one im thinking about was the dev guy in a video was talking about it.. but forgot which video

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• bunzagabunzaga Member UncommonPosts: 36

200$ for a founders pack...

Are these guys fkn insane?

• TheelyTheely Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    • 3 addtional character slots (total of 5)

You're telling me that a normal account only has 2 character slots?

If that isn't a sign of things to come then I don't know what is. I was looking forward to seeing this game but I'm not going to get nickled and dimed like that. I don't even want to see how they limit you in other aspects like storage.

• Nhoj1983Nhoj1983 Member UncommonPosts: 185

Wow.. people see the $200 option and forget all the others.  That level is for those who wish to get the "collectors edition" level piece.. I can think of at least one game (star wars) that I paid close to that amount.  Only to stop playing two months later.  There is nothing in it that is required.. it's got some cool stuff and if you want to pay for it (I'm tempted) you can.   Everything that's there is clearly stated.. your not buying based off future savings as you might have for a sub game.  So even that uncertainty isn't there.   You know what your getting but if you don't want it.. then your not missing ANYTHING.

So many recent F2P games offer something similar of late.  Planetside 2, MechWarrior online, and others.  Not to mention the even bigger gambles on kickstarter.  I didn't pay for any of them.  I still got beta in most of them.  Do not pay for any of these options if that's what your aiming for.. it'll be out before you know it and betas are betas.. there will be no cost to you for waiting for the open beta itself other than time... and if you can't wait well maybe you should put down your money and support the game your going to be playing ($60 isn't that terrible and you get some cool stuff).  If you can't afford that just keep an eye out for givaways and you'll more than likely snag a beta key somewhere. 

Simply put this is crowdfunding in the same way kickstarter does it.  Mechwarrior made over a million dollars doing the "pre purchase" thing.  Of course they're going to do this.  Just relax you'll still get your shot at playing the game even if you don't pay a dime... the question is how much do you want to play a real mmo in the neverwinter setting?  Is that worth some monetary support? So much negativity... well of course it would be this is the internets.<rolls eyes>

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Personally i think we need to stop Gaugeing Success via a Dollar Sign. "Success" should be something that has paramiters set by the company making the game. not by a bunch of no name internet junkies who throw around Xfire Stats.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Originally posted by Nhoj1983

Wow.. people see the $200 option and forget all the others.  That level is for those who wish to get the "collectors edition" level piece.. I can think of at least one game (star wars) that I paid close to that amount.  Only to stop playing two months later.  There is nothing in it that is required.. it's got some cool stuff and if you want to pay for it (I'm tempted) you can.   Everything that's there is clearly stated.. your not buying based off future savings as you might have for a sub game.  So even that uncertainty isn't there.   You know what your getting but if you don't want it.. then your not missing ANYTHING.

So many recent F2P games offer something similar of late.  Planetside 2, MechWarrior 2, and others.  Not to mention the even bigger gambles on kickstarter.  I didn't pay for any of them.  I still got beta in most of them.  Do not pay for any of these options if that's what your aiming for.. it'll be out before you know it and betas are betas.. there will be no cost to you for waiting for the open beta itself other than time... and if you can't wait well maybe you should put down your money and support the game your going to be playing ($60 isn't that terrible and you get some cool stuff).  If you can't afford that just keep an eye out for givaways and you'll more than likely snag a beta key somewhere. 

Simply put this is crowdfunding in the same way kickstarter does it.  Mechwarrior made over a million dollars doing the "pre purchase" thing.  Of course they're going to do this.  Just relax you'll still get your shot at playing the game even if you don't pay a dime... the question is how much do you want to play a real mmo in the neverwinter setting?  Is that worth some monetary support? So much negativity... well of course it would be this is the internets.

seems the i should be entitiled to everything for free crowd is upset about the drow backround story they won't have access to...personally doesn't bother me they need to make their money somehow.. if the games fun ill support it by buying extra character slots and bag slots.. if game sucks it will not get a dime from me... i wouldn't pay for this stuff till actually playing the game though... but in that light i have supported a couple kickstarters like the repopulation and star citizen without playing anything :P

• BlinkennBlinkenn Member UncommonPosts: 166
    Pff, Neverwinter Nights was originally on AOL in the 90's...
    Originally posted by Arallu01
    Pff, Neverwinter Nights was originally on AOL in the 90's...

have lots of faint memories of that game:P

• Bastian_StarBastian_Star Member Posts: 36

Their disreguard for the Star Trek IP really turned me off! I really don't have a good feeling about this game; the thing is that I really WANT to have a good feeling about this game. I do wish Cryptic and PWE luck and just hope that they're able to find a good balance with the monetization of this game.

P.s.-I know, I KNOW....it's a nerd thing but that's NOT magic missile! :P

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I've played Perfect World International... This game defines P2W

I've played Champions Online... This game shows how very limited the "Cryptic Engine" is

I've played Star Trek Online... This game showcases the failings of the "Cryptic Engine" and has a about the greediest P2W Item shop I've ever seen.

Perfect World Entertainment + Cryptic Studios = Cheap crappy games that only have one purpose... To drain your wallet to even be competitive let alone "Win".

I think I'll pass.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

So many recent F2P games offer something similar of late.  Planetside 2, MechWarrior online, and others.  Not to mention the even bigger gambles on kickstarter.  I didn't pay for any of them.  I still got beta in most of them.  Do not pay for any of these options if that's what your aiming for.. it'll be out before you know it and betas are betas.. there will be no cost to you for waiting for the open beta itself other than time... and if you can't wait well maybe you should put down your money and support the game your going to be playing ($60 isn't that terrible and you get some cool stuff).  If you can't afford that just keep an eye out for givaways and you'll more than likely snag a beta key somewhere. 

Simply put this is crowdfunding in the same way kickstarter does it.  Mechwarrior made over a million dollars doing the "pre purchase" thing.  Of course they're going to do this.  Just relax you'll still get your shot at playing the game even if you don't pay a dime... the question is how much do you want to play a real mmo in the neverwinter setting?  Is that worth some monetary support? So much negativity... well of course it would be this is the internets.

Well those other collector's edition usually had items that made it worth the price tag it came with.  Neverwinter's doesn't.  Last tally and estimation is that it is worth $120.  Only things worth of note is the 3 Char slots, mount, race (yes race since you get an actual ability, this isn't a simple background), and the astral diamonds.  All the other items are just misc crap.  I'm all for collectors edition (bout the DDO MotU one) IF it has the value.  This is just an overpriced beta access for the drow/drizzit fan club.

Watch it that they post all these things in their cash shop at launch or shortly after and you can get all the noteable items for 1/3 of the price of the founders pack and then the bitching will ensue on the forums of being cheated.

• CylintCylint Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Bad company is bad.  This is just another over monitized, low value, half-assed, poorly designed piece of garbadge.  And I'm only talking about the coffee cryptic serves in it's break room.  I'll never buy into another one of their scams.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    i just do not see the craze about this game personally because perfect world and cryptic have never ever done anything good for games anyways. Cryptic has STO and CO and neither of them where impressive in the slightest . Add in Perfect World cash grabbing I just see this game as a complete and utter disaster. Also who the hell wants to pay 200 bucks for a free to play game with heavy cashshop?
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Originally posted by Ambros123

Well those other collector's edition usually had items that made it worth the price tag it came with.  Neverwinter's doesn't.  Last tally and estimation is that it is worth $120.  Only things worth of note is the 3 Char slots, mount, race (yes race since you get an actual ability, this isn't a simple background), and the astral diamonds.  All the other items are just misc crap.  I'm all for collectors edition (bout the DDO MotU one) IF it has the value.  This is just an overpriced beta access for the drow/drizzit fan club.

Watch it that they post all these things in their cash shop at launch or shortly after and you can get all the noteable items for 1/3 of the price of the founders pack and then the bitching will ensue on the forums of being cheated.

No it is not, it's  a background anyone can roll a Drow but this pack gives you an extra background. This background give you the "Faerie Fire" racial ability and  cosmetic tattoo. If Faerie fire does like in PNP it just makes an inoffensive blue glow around the target.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

This article is incorrect.  Neither Cryptic nor Perfect Worlds adhere to a vanity item only system.  STO for instance locks the most powerful ships in the game behind lockboxes, which are opened with keys that must be originally purchased in a cash shop.

Lets lets dispel that little myth right now.  Cryptic has no qualms with selling items that give a distinct power advantage, in fact they make massive amounts of money doing just that.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

Susie, The problem has nothing too do with Customers feeling like they should pay nothing, the problem is the Big Buisness's that get ahold of the small development teams and dictate what they should make, not what they want to make. There are millions of gamers out there willing to pay monthly for a Descent MMO, but who wants to pay for the resequenced WoW forumula garbage we have been fed for the last 6 years? F2P became #1 for a reason. You can keep hoping the developers have the best interest of the Gamers, but that was like me trying to understand the bible, because I had "thoughts", and that really messed up the whole Faith thing. I look at peoples actions, not what they say, anyone can make a game sound pretty and nice, and say how wonderful their customers are, but at the same time selling 150$ founders packs to the Nieve gamers out there while the developers knowing full well that they are in a position of being ripped off. That to me is discusting and low, because it could be some kid buying it with his mothers credit card.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

“The point here is that the things sold in the store do not give a clear advantage to other players.”

Few cash stores give a items which give players a direct advantage over other players. P2W is creeping in by giving players an indirect advantage. Anything which gets you to top level in PvE faster makes you better at PvP, XP boosts, buffs, teleport potions etc. Passes which allow you to do raids which get you PvP gear. All indirect but all P2W.

• TrollsbaneTrollsbane Member Posts: 3

For those of you who don't know, the game "Neverwinter Nights" published by Bioware is not the first Dungeons & Dragons game by that name.

AOL hosted a Neverwinter Nights game back before the internet was even available to the average Joe. It was the first MMO that had graphics. The server could hold 150 people (with upgrades it was later bumped to 300).

As you can imagine everyone knew everyone. It was in this game that the acronyms (pvp, afk, ect) were created and guilds were first created there as well.

Links to some good info on the old game...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwinter_Nights_(AOL_game)

http://www.bladekeep.com/nwn/index2.htm

Trollsbane

Crusaders of the Realm

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

People really whining about P2W in a PvE game?

Not that I have seen anything that show P2W in this game.

• cyriciancyrician Member UncommonPosts: 189

Such a shame bring the neverwinter nights for the new generation !

Pay 59$ now for glarenteed  beta access !

Unfortanly no as much as I adore nwn and I do as a setting I'll stick to playing tsw and eve online til well after this is out on pure princable.

its a shame cause I was really looking forward to this game putty they are trying to make a buck so quckly.

Current games;
    Star treck online
    Rift
    Eve online
    Firefall

Originally posted by cyrician

Such a shame bring the neverwinter nights for the new generation !

Unfortanly no as much as I adore nwn and I do as a setting I'll stick to playing tsw and eve online til well after this is out on pure princable.

its a shame cause I was really looking forward to this game putty they are trying to make a buck so quckly.

yeah, back in the old days you payed $50 for the game to play it, and you had no extra chance to get into beta, and you payed 15$ each month.

Now you pay nothing and you still have same chance to get into beta as in the old days, and you pay no monthly fee.

I bet Cyrician will not reply to this.

Originally posted by cyrician

The beta access is a bonus, the packs will exist after release.

Wake up and learn about F2P models.

You still get beta keys for free from fansites and on twitter etc.

You didnt learn anything from the thread you made about this?

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by MumboJumbo
    I would say that trailer is atrocious, but it avoided using CGI so I won't that far. What exactly was that show-casing??

or people could do a modicum of research and see there are numerous gameplay vids from all the cons like E3 and Pax.  Neverwinter has also taken best of show at Pax East and Gamescom 2012.

So for those of you that are holding your breath in anticipation of the invite (turning blue here Cryptic/PWE save a fellow) I've compiled a list of gameplay videos to take the edge off I apologize if there are duplicates however my eyes started to cross after awhile Also some of these are interviews with gameplay. For those of you that are interested the video with Athene speaking to Andy covers some things about PVP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylmYK...yer_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVaP-...yer_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZORH...yer_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vNMq...yer_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhhLZ...yer_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKm-g...yer_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEFpx...yer_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfmQS...yer_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecPXS...yer_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc2TP...yer_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUL0H...yer_detailpage

http://www.gametrailers.com/e3/video...gameplay--cam-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLvD2...yer_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOMyE...yer_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMjP4...yer_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glh10...yer_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHyR9...yer_detailpage

http://videos.pcgames.de/hdvideo/912...ertes-Gameplay
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ8qK...yer_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0DDw...yer_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HPbn...yer_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oDjb...yer_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Xs8lf_xJbsQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=W45zEo3IaSY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=FfOg2i-lHuo

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/neverw...0,3008540.html

All of these just look the same......same boss same blabla from the devs....shows nothing that makes me want to give them my money tbh.

imho just a meh F2P game like all the rest.

Maybe if they showed us how the user generated content works, that might make it a bit more attractive...maybe