Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Warcraft Movie Lands a Director: Filming Begins This Year

RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

I thought that the Warcraft movie was something that was tossed by the wayside, but nope.  They have a script (written by Charles Leavitt) and now a director (Duncan Jones).

Filming begins fall of 2013 for a 2015 release.

Source: Hollywood Reporter

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Comments

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    There is absolutely no way this movie will not win every Oscar for 2015....

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• LadyEupheiLadyEuphei Member UncommonPosts: 223

I demand Uwe Boll direct it!!! Who's with me!

(P.S. That was joking)

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    I'm looking forward to the movie but I'm worried Blizzard will charge 14.99 per month to watch it...
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    I'm kinda sad since there are much better IP's that could become movies. Oh well Fanboys just soiled their underwear with this announcement so atleast it benefits someone.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

the director is David Bowie's son

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_Jones

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    This has been a long time coming I have been talking about the movie that supposively had been in the making behind our backs etc. Its about time we really get some insight onto a movie its a really great concept even Tales of the Past 3 which was all gameplay footage was a good WoW movie can't wait for this.
  • SaintWalker44SaintWalker44 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Originally posted by spankybus

Lmao

All Will Be Well.....

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I don't play WoW anymore. But I'm quite excited for a WoW movie. Hope they don't blunder it like most video game movies.
  • BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Originally posted by Nadia

He did Moon, which is one of my favorite movies of all time. Now I'm not so sure how to feel.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Originally posted by Blazeyer

He did Moon, which is one of my favorite movies of all time. Now I'm not so sure how to feel.

I've never even heard of that movie (Moon). I'm gonna download it now image

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Originally posted by OgreRaper

Yeah, watch the trailer on youtube and you'll immediately want to watch. It's well worth it.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I honestly think it could be a good movie. The story of Warcraft itself is a great story, some people think WoW didn't follow it well enough, or changed it too much, but in a movie format I think it could do pretty good.
  • Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    I'm kinda sad since there are much better IP's that could become movies. Oh well Fanboys just soiled their underwear with this announcement so atleast it benefits someone.

No, not really. Not when your IP had peaked  at 13 million active players with a subscription, in a fringe genre. Couldn't imagine a hollywood movie coming out based on any other MMO IP, other than star wars, lotro, and TES. < 2 of those came from movies/books before games, and Warcraft has managed to absolutely smash their face into the ground in the MMO market.

WoW animosity in the MMO community is pathetic. 

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Goll25

No, not really. Not when your IP had peaked  at 13 million active players with a subscription, in a fringe genre. Couldn't imagine a hollywood movie coming out based on any other MMO IP, other than star wars, lotro, and TES. < 2 of those came from movies/books before games, and Warcraft has managed to absolutely smash their face into the ground in the MMO market.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    I honestly think it could be a good movie. The story of Warcraft itself is a great story, some people think WoW didn't follow it well enough, or changed it too much, but in a movie format I think it could do pretty good.

I'm a big fan of the story and still follow the game, even though I haven't played the game in a while.  If done right, I think it could be really good.  If done right, this is good for gaming.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Because computer games make awesome movies...

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Blergh. They've got one of the most talented CGI crews (or have used one) and they decide to make a live-action movie?

Stupid idiots.

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166

Uhhh....... image

Well I've enjoyed past films from both the script writer and director. But considering those past films, Moon, K-Pax, Blood Diamond, I'm really not sure what kind of job these guys would do bringing a fnatasy epic to the big screen. Also if they make it a live action film, I think attempting to re-create Wow's visual style in real life would make the film incredibly laughable. As an animated movie though, it could work.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

If done well, it can be fantastic.  I know people automatically hate WoW, but WoW the game vs WoW the lore are two very separate things. And yes, the lore has gotten stretched and mangled a bit over time, but I doubt (and hope) the movie doesn't try to include EVERYTHING.

If they keep it to the Arthas and/or Illidan story we can have a great movie or trilogy.

Lastly, there are not enough fantasy genre movies (we have how many good ones? Willow, LOTR, Harry Potter?). The video game industry is full of fantasy genre, but the movie industy is heavy on action, sci-fi. Even martial arts is vast compared to fantasy. So try not to hate it because it shares a name with a game you dislike.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108
    Originally posted by OgreRaper

Yeah, watch the trailer on youtube and you'll immediately want to watch. It's well worth it.

I agree, so good!

And when you're done with Moon, watch Event Horizon if you haven't already.

And last, after watching Event Horizon, turn off lights in your apartment, turn volume up on your headphones, start up Dead Space (Game), and prepare to shit your pants!

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by Goll25

Spoken like a true WoW kid, congrats. (If you don't want animosity, perhaphs you should get our your high horse hmmm?)

As another person already stated, there are way better IP's that could be made into movies. We all know that this is just another cash grab for the blind followers. (Yes, I too am allowed that thing called an "opinion" wether you like it or not). Nonetheless, have fun with your movie. Maybe people will end up subbing to it if it turns out better than the game itself (oh wait, it won't have to try to do that unless they try to make the CGI like the game.. what a cringeful thought) :)

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289

I completely agree. There are way better IP's out there.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by spankybus

The talent involved so far is pretty respectable. While it may not be Oscar material there is no reason to think at this point that it won't be good.

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by Razperil

I completely agree. There are way better IP's out there.

Yep. And Blizzard is sitting on one: Startcraft would be much better than Warcraft

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    This is old news! When is somebvody going to make a movie of the computer game IP we want to see the most? http://www.farming-simulator.com/