Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rise, Age of Conan!!

Age of Conan has been keeping me hook for the last 3weeks... I can't get enough of AOC, I played a lot of MMO's but AOC has great combat (a little hard at 1st)  and great PvP !!  I feel bad for this game bc of its F-up start but it has come along ways... Just wanted to tell you people to give it a try again and see if you have what it takes to be on the Deathwish Server... The soundtrack is very nice also....

youtube, Age of Conan soundtrack  track 1,  I bet you would like it :)

Happy gaming..

Comments

• imaginaimagina Member Posts: 104

Game is great, yeah, but they really need to let the first 2 tier raids available to free players, and some alternative way for free to play users to exp their AA skills and it would be perfect.

But it's slowly dying again anyway.

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472

I've always wanted to get into Age of Conan, but I just simply can't get myself to play it. I know they FINALLY changed the absolutely TERRIBLE F2P scheme they had going, but I don't know. Doesn't it still have issues with population even with the F2P changes?

Plus, isn't it heavily instanced? I definitely long for a game that just lets me roam around the world and fighting whoever I stumble upon.

• obake90obake90 Member Posts: 60
    I feel the same way about roaming around... When you 1st start off you are in a tiny area but once you hit 20 you have so much roaming around i was getting overwhelmed by it, Haha but in a good way... I feel like the f2p is way better then SWTOR...  You have to have limites to F2p if you want to make some cash...
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Yeah I'm also in for the ride. It's even better than I remembed. Got the expansion and adventure packs and patched to 4.0.

AoC has incredibly deep mechanics, huge landcapes, extreme diverse classes, great stories.. cool animal mounts, open world PvP plus loot, mounted combat, combat pets, day night change, epic dungeons and raids, guild sieges, guild cities, great crafting, fantastic combat, alternate advancement and tons of other stuff, heck I don't know why I thought the grasses would be greener elsewhere.. this game is a diamond

btw, population is very good on my european server and there will soon be an upgrade to single server tech so everyone can play without server separation.

Roaming around? whoa, get out of the Tortage introduction, after lvl 20 the world opens up like no other. It's immense, totally different than Tortage. Not much instancing except for dungeons

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Originally posted by wormed

I've always wanted to get into Age of Conan, but I just simply can't get myself to play it. I know they FINALLY changed the absolutely TERRIBLE F2P scheme they had going, but I don't know. Doesn't it still have issues with population even with the F2P changes?

Plus, isn't it heavily instanced? I definitely long for a game that just lets me roam around the world and fighting whoever I stumble upon.

Population on Set it has improved because all the PvE servers have merged. So you will see other players in the game. Population on Set is better than it has ever been in the 3 years I have been on. It actually seems busy on weekends, lol. The Euro servers are even better off. I am not in a guild atm so I do all my interaction over global chat. There are a lot of calls for low and mid level 6 man dungeon raids which is a good sign. I remember playing when there were just not enough peeps leveling through the content to fill those raids, everyone was playing their max level characters and doing end game stuff. Deathwish is the most populated US PvP server. I had a toon on there when it first opened but I don't any more, so I don't know how that population is these days.

As far as instancing the game is set up with huge playfields that you need to enter, but once you enter them they are wide open and very explorable. You go in and out of buildings with no loading screen, swim and dive under water and generally go anywhere and do anything without seeing a loading screen.  The large dungeons in the playfields are instanced. Generally you enter those with a group of players and you are the only players in there. But other than those dungeons the playfields are one  large open map rendered in DX10, beautifully detailed, full of content and no loading screens.

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by imagina

Game is great, yeah

Maybe by the incredibly low standards of today's MMO market...

• paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198

I play AoC from time to time when there's new content. Lvling up in AoC is pretty dull, the economy is fubar atm, and it's hard to find groups for low lvl  dungeons. 

One of the big problems once players reach 80 is that they somehow don't learn to play the class properly, they also need to find a good feat build. In AOC it's very easy to mess up your feats bigtime and nerf yourelf so bad that it's impossible to play your class role.

I know other modern games have started to make all feat builds have similar power, so you can't mess up like this,  that's taking it too far in my opinion but Funcom need to improve feats and builds that do nothing, the feats that often do nothing to your class are often expensive too, making sure the nerfing is total.

It's very easy to observe this in raids, and my experience is that many players quit the game after the first few raids, as the learning curve is steep if your at complete fucktard level and wants to start hardmodes. 

The game need to make sure that players get feedback on their performance before they're full T2 and ready for harder content where players will not put up with nonsense.

If your getting yelled at or have extreme bad experience after T2, you quit the game pretty quickly, and this is happening at a pandemic scale atm.

Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by imagina

Game is great, yeah

Maybe by the incredibly low standards of today's MMO market...

By today's standards AoC is far ahead of the crowd. Make a bullet point list and compare, this is an allround package like no other.

The Return of ELITE !

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    I played aoc when it first came out and really enjoyed tortage played a ranger and did quite a bit of ganking  he he he. But around lvl 35 started to get boring and w out crafting i just quit, came back bout a year ago and the F2P was horrendous, dont know if it has improved but may try it again
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    I played aoc when it first came out and really enjoyed tortage played a ranger and did quite a bit of ganking  he he he. But around lvl 35 started to get boring and w out crafting i just quit, came back bout a year ago and the F2P was horrendous, dont know if it has improved but may try it again

how on earth was the F2P horrendous?? 1-80 is completely free, they even opened up all 12 classes by now, there is no reduced XP gain or cash shop button in your face like in SWTOR.

Paying for the expansion and adventure packs is optional. Alternate advancement and offline level gain are turned off. So what?

This is the nicest F2P system and most generous triple A F2P MMO on the market.

When I read horrendous F2P there is only one name: SWTOR:  pay  for ability bars, pay for pvp warzones, pay for REGULAR xp gain, pay for flashpoints, get an ingame event like lifeday which only takes place on the cash shop, get a "pay for cartel coins icon" every three seconds in every damn screen.

there, horrendous F2P well defined

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by paul43

I play AoC from time to time when there's new content. Lvling up in AoC is pretty dull, the economy is fubar atm, and it's hard to find groups for low lvl  dungeons. 

One of the big problems once players reach 80 is that they somehow don't learn to play the class properly, they also need to find a good feat build. In AOC it's very easy to mess up your feats bigtime and nerf yourelf so bad that it's impossible to play your class role.

I know other modern games have started to make all feat builds have similar power, so you can't mess up like this,  that's taking it too far in my opinion but Funcom need to improve feats and builds that do nothing, the feats that often do nothing to your class are often expensive too, making sure the nerfing is total.

It's very easy to observe this in raids, and my experience is that many players quit the game after the first few raids, as the learning curve is steep if your at complete fucktard level and wants to start hardmodes. 

The game need to make sure that players get feedback on their performance before they're full T2 and ready for harder content where players will not put up with nonsense.

If your getting yelled at or have extreme bad experience after T2, you quit the game pretty quickly, and this is happening at a pandemic scale atm.

About the feat tree: You are now able to wipe your feat choices and rebuild your character with new feat choices any time as often as you want. So if you make some bad choices building your character it is not a problem, you can redo the whole feat tree if you like. The only catch is that it costs money to do. The first couple of times is pretty cheap, just a few copper or sliver, but after that it starts costing gold.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Yeah AoC is one of the hiddem gem MMO's, too bad more light isn't brought upon this game.
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by eddieg50

how on earth was the F2P horrendous?? 1-80 is completely free, they even opened up all 12 classes by now, there is no reduced XP gain or cash shop button in your face like in SWTOR.

Paying for the expansion and adventure packs is optional. Alternate advancement and offline level gain are turned off. So what?

This is the nicest F2P system and most generous triple A F2P MMO on the market.

When I read horrendous F2P there is only one name: SWTOR:  pay  for ability bars, pay for pvp warzones, pay for REGULAR xp gain, pay for flashpoints, get an ingame event like lifeday which only takes place on the cash shop, get a "pay for cartel coins icon" every three seconds in every damn screen.

there, horrendous F2P well defined

there were restrictions on chat, on guild joining, character restrictions and others . It was much worse than SWTOR, that being said it sounds like they have made adjustments so i may try again

• TraviksTraviks Member CommonPosts: 32

How is population those days? There are some ppl to do pvp/pve? :S 

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Yeah AoC is one of the hiddem gem MMO's, too bad more light isn't brought upon this game.

Blame Funcom for that one. :/

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I really like AoC and recommend it to everyone.
    But At lvl 80 i'm still stuck either:

A:Raiding
    B:PvP

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth

I really like AoC and recommend it to everyone.
    But At lvl 80 i'm still stuck either:

A:Raiding
    B:PvP

Or you can do what I do when I reach 80, roll another character, ha ha

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    I tried Aoc about two years ago but the f2p restrictions were kinda strange like getting a discount in the shop if you were a subcription member I would prefer free points every month I paid like it is in Lotro. I may give it a try again if I get bored with Vanguard soh.
  • ToolfanToolfan Member UncommonPosts: 80

Played the first year after launch and return every so often.

The is definately a lot better than most mmos and is a lot better compared to how it was when it was released. But Funcom isn't making much money as a company and are constantly downsizing. This impacts the slow update cycles aswell as how much the game is marketed.

It's a shame.

• LongLivePvPLongLivePvP Member Posts: 102

How is the PvP on Deathwish? Thinking to play again...never got past lvl 20 though hehe 

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars & ArcheAge(Alpha)
    Backed: Shards Online, Camelot Unchained
    Loved: Vanilla WoW,UO,Shadowbane,EQ,DAoC,Asheron's Call(Darktide)

Originally posted by PvP4Life

How is the PvP on Deathwish? Thinking to play again...never got past lvl 20 though hehe 

haha got into it a week ago.. It´s pretty hardcore. If you want to do some questing, make allies, take some guild mates with you. Always stay aware, watch your backs. Store your precious stuff at the bank. Watch the open world PVP calendar ingame, there are some massive battles scheduled every day.

The normal PvP servers are also fun, at least you are safe when guards are around and there is no corpse looting. Playing on both Rage (Blood and Glory PvP, Deathwish for US) and Fury EU (regular PvP).

You can only have 1 character on Deathwish/Rage.

The Return of ELITE !

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

I have one at Deathwish. It's painfull :)

Play most of the time on Wiccana.

love the game. Best thing is that they are working on the entire crafting and tradeskill system and give out a completely new system on this. It will further improve the game imensely if not change it even. When that happens with bells and whistles I think AoC finally can be resurected.

The Ultimate Breakdown

oh.. also have one at Set.. Good population there these days.

The Ultimate Breakdown

Originally posted by DaSpack
    oh.. also have one at Set.. Good population there these days.

I´m on Fury, very good pop too.

Very much looking forward to single server tech implementation, minigames would pop more often with cross server queuing..

The Return of ELITE !

seems like more and more people join my favourite game again. love it. Wiccana is also happening.

The Ultimate Breakdown