Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I love EVE but I hate Dscan

inzane3inzane3 Member UncommonPosts: 103

One of the best things about EVE online is the PvP, but what ruins it for me is the D-scan. It's like having to solve a puzzle in the midst of combat! it ruins the pace of the fight. I get it, you need to find out where he headed, but surely it can be a lot easier! Guessing whether he went to that asteroid belt or that planet is just ridiculous!

I know we can use combat probes, but wth man that takes too long as well! If it wasn't for those 2 things the combat in EVE would be more fast paced and exciting. That is the only reason why I am not re-subbing to EVE Online. Everything else is just gorgeous, I can even look past the grinding missions and what not. :(

/rant over

Comments

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122
    Since when did you need to do Dscan while gatecamping?  :)
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by inzane3

One of the best things about EVE online is the PvP, but what ruins it for me is the D-scan. It's like having to solve a puzzle in the midst of combat! it ruins the pace of the fight. I get it, you need to find out where he headed, but surely it can be a lot easier! Guessing whether he went to that asteroid belt or that planet is just ridiculous!

I know we can use combat probes, but wth man that takes too long as well! If it wasn't for those 2 things the combat in EVE would be more fast paced and exciting. That is the only reason why I am not re-subbing to EVE Online. Everything else is just gorgeous, I can even look past the grinding missions and what not. :(

/rant over

I think it will take more than that to make combat in EVE more fast paced and exciting.  But hey,  @350K people think the combat is just fine.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by ikarrian

yup exactly.

Also, if you aren't stopping them from warping, you are doing it wrong.  Just let them go.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

/rant over

Agreed. The DSCAN is basically a "To do: put in a scanner" placeholder that CCP haven't really updated for a decade.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• ChramChram Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by Malcanis

/rant over

Agreed. The DSCAN is basically a "To do: put in a scanner" placeholder that CCP haven't really updated for a decade.

So many things like that, sigh... 

But ye, even putting a tiny auto-update checkbox somewhere would go a really long way. It would not be "dumbing down" the gameplay imho, it would just stop introducing a carpal tunnel for every wormholer and low/null sec mission runner there is.

And to the OP - this particular use doesn't bother me that much. When your target already managed to disengage, you have to quickly take a guess and warp immediately anyway or he is gone forever, assuming he has at least a basal level knowledge about the game.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

EVE will never be fast-paced. Exciting maybe, but not fast-paced.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

They already had to cut down on the interval dscan could be used because it was causing server performance issues.  Now imagine if every player online was hitting it (whether they are really watching it or not) at a defined interval.

Practice makes perfect with the dscan.  After a while you become really quick with it and you won't have to guess which way the bad guy went.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Pfft, this is the weirdest EVE thread ever. The D-Scan? Really? It is one of many tools. ......The D-Scan?..............

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• MyrradahMyrradah Member UncommonPosts: 102

You are most definitely doing it wrong.

The D-scan is used to find a target you dont have eyes on already or to scan and see whats waiting for you so you dont jump into a rats nest. Otherwise - you watch where they warp to and send people after him at various ranges.

You must be new to pvp - get with a real pvp corp to learn how to catch people and take them out.

• inzane3inzane3 Member UncommonPosts: 103

Gate camping is boring, it's just a waiting game, but yes you don't need it when gate camping. Also PvP consists of more than just gate camping

Originally posted by adam_nox

yup exactly.

Also, if you aren't stopping them from warping, you are doing it wrong.  Just let them go.

In order to stop them warping you need to be in front of them first. What if you spotted them from a distance or the guy just undocked and your own your own or 2 /3 people bounty hunting but there are 4/5 exits? There are so many situations where you can't warp scramble them don't just dismiss it as if it's easy as that. The D-scan is there for a reason, and it is necassary. Fact...

Originally posted by dave6660

They already had to cut down on the interval dscan could be used because it was causing server performance issues.  Now imagine if every player online was hitting it (whether they are really watching it or not) at a defined interval.

Practice makes perfect with the dscan.  After a while you become really quick with it and you won't have to guess which way the bad guy went.

Good point and I appreciate that, but in my opinion something else should replace it. I have to admit I really don't know what could but it is just too boring yet necassary. I have no idea what could fix it, but it's just those 2 things really ruin it for me. 

Originally posted by VassagoMael
    Pfft, this is the weirdest EVE thread ever. The D-Scan? Really? It is one of many tools. ......The D-Scan?..............

EVE Online has indeed got many tools, but this and the combat probing are the only two things I dislike about EVE Online.

Originally posted by Myrradah

You are most definitely doing it wrong.

The D-scan is used to find a target you dont have eyes on already or to scan and see whats waiting for you so you dont jump into a rats nest. Otherwise - you watch where they warp to and send people after him at various ranges.

You must be new to pvp - get with a real pvp corp to learn how to catch people and take them out.

I know what's used for and whilst I am not exactly great at PvP I have had my share of pvp Action. It's just everytime I think about going back to EVE Online ( because I really would like to) those two things are stopping me, but d-scan in particular. When you are in nullsec you have to use it on a regular basis and it it's frustrating. 

I did join OUCH which is a great training program for any newcomer or someone who would like to do pvp in EVE, just to see if I was doing something wrong and I found out that I did do many things wrong in PvP but in the end it still comes down to that annoying Dscan and the combat probing. 

Apologies if I sound pessimistic, it's just my personal opinion about that specific mechanic. The most frustrating about this all is there is no other game like EVE. That perpetuum game is the closest thing, but it's so bad! lol Here is hoping that Archeage will at least be good.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

That is what makes the game balanced. Could be more user friendly but mechanics wise, it's working flawlessly.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Gdemami

That is what makes the game balanced. Could be more user friendly but mechanics wise, it's working flawlessly.

"Flawlessly"?

Well I guess if endless clicking to produce results in a spreadsheet isn't a flaw for you, then yes.

DSCAN is necessary and functional but that's a very long walk from "flawless".

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839

Great memories of busting someones safe spot with a dual MWD kestral with a cap booster/ injector.  Several people funneling cap charges to it from station or a can.  Back when it was moderately safe to park a ship in a safe spot and leave it for a short period or maybe even a day or so.  Basically because of how time consuming it would be to get to them.  A decent amount of people were doing this back then.  Preventing themselves from being station camped ect..

Pretty sure probes weren't in game yet or they couldn't be used in .5 or higher.  I don't remember which. I just know there were more than enough people leaving ships in safe spots in high sec.  It was back before the first major missile changes.   One instance I remember fondly was a pirate was working in a system 6-8 jumps from Jita. I forget the systems name atm.  Had low sec access.  He would park his ships and eject from them in his safe spot.  I got him on dscan and narrowed his direction down. He was only a few AU or two out.   Asked in corp for help busting it.  Few hours later, with  a massive ammount of cap charge having been shuttled to that dual WMD kestral and we had a shiny Scorpion along with anything else that wasn't in a secure can. Pretty decent haul back then. for only a few hours of work.  We dropped a can saying "Thanks".   From his Eve mails I guess he like griefing others but didn't take getting griefed so well.

I wonder if the reason for Dscan not to be automated is because of the strain it might put on the servers?