Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The people complaining...

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

There are linear instanced dungeons. There's no more death penalty. You can hit 50 in a couple days. It's all quest grind based, rather than monster hunting and dungeon crawling. There's a GPS map now. All NPCs have floating markers telling you which ones to pay attention to.

It's been getting more and more like WoW every year.

Most people don't consider quality of life changes like adding quests to do game breaking. Also, if you are PvEing to level 50, you completely missed the point of DAoC to begin with. I do realize they added some quests with good exp that are repeatable that a lot people do these days, but if anything it just gets you to the RvR faster. Everything you mentioned has no bearing whatsoever on the actual part of DAoC people play.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• keitholikeitholi Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Grunch
    I notice that the only people complaining have never played DAoC and do not realize the awesomeness that is about to be unleashed in 2013 called ESO. I have been waiting for a DAoC 3 Faction RvR game since the WoW Clone Wars began. This is going to be the MMO that will bring balance back to the force.

I suggest people try out DAoC to see how three faction gameplay works. I understand DAoC isn't what it used to be but you will get an idea.

If DaoC was so great, Why did it ultimately under preform in the end?

Under perform? The fact that the game is STILL around and playable 10 years after launch is a living testament to the quality of the game. You, sir, are an idiot.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by keitholi

Originally posted by Grunch I notice that the only people complaining have never played DAoC and do not realize the awesomeness that is about to be unleashed in 2013 called ESO. I have been waiting for a DAoC 3 Faction RvR game since the WoW Clone Wars began. This is going to be the MMO that will bring balance back to the force.     I suggest people try out DAoC to see how three faction gameplay works. I understand DAoC isn't what it used to be but you will get an idea.
    Under perform? The fact that the game is STILL around and playable 10 years after launch is a living testament to the quality of the game. You, sir, are an idiot.

DID I SAY DIE?

Are you telling me that they ticked all the boxes for desired player numbers and profits??

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Grunch I notice that the only people complaining have never played DAoC and do not realize the awesomeness that is about to be unleashed in 2013 called ESO. I have been waiting for a DAoC 3 Faction RvR game since the WoW Clone Wars began. This is going to be the MMO that will bring balance back to the force.     I suggest people try out DAoC to see how three faction gameplay works. I understand DAoC isn't what it used to be but you will get an idea.

DID I SAY DIE?

Are you telling me that they ticked all the boxes for desired player numbers and profits??

I'm sure they made more off DAoC than they ever will off Warhammer or most games released recently will make in their lifetimes. 10 years of subscription fees adds up, on top of several pay for expansions. Would they like to make more? I'm sure, it's the nature of a company. All MMO's eventually die, but it is rare for one to remain in action a decade and still have enough subs to not go F2P. I will say I expect them to make Warhammer and DAoC F2P at some point in the near future, because sub games for the most part are losing customers.

Dying, yes. Sucessful, also yes.

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

There are linear instanced dungeons. There's no more death penalty. You can hit 50 in a couple days. It's all quest grind based, rather than monster hunting and dungeon crawling. There's a GPS map now. All NPCs have floating markers telling you which ones to pay attention to.

Most people don't consider quality of life changes like adding quests to do game breaking. Also, if you are PvEing to level 50, you completely missed the point of DAoC to begin with. I do realize they added some quests with good exp that are repeatable that a lot people do these days, but if anything it just gets you to the RvR faster. Everything you mentioned has no bearing whatsoever on the actual part of DAoC people play.

wow... believe it or not it took me 6 months to get my first 50 in my mercenary...

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

DID I SAY DIE?

... on a side note Morrowind and Oblivion (not combined) both have more players than DAoC.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Daoc is the second most successful Indie developed mmo after eve.

I wish it had stayed indie too, bloody ea.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Those aren't quality of life changes. Those drastically change the entire gameplay and feel of the game.

Where once the focus was on socializing and immersion, it's now on solo quest grinding.

ALL of DAoC was great, not just the PvP. It's why it is so well remembered. The RvR and PvE both got ruined at the same time.

What made DAoC stand out was how well balanced the PvE, crafting, and PvP spheres were. And Mythic gutted each of them. The PvP is still fun, but not as fun as it was, and the rest of the game is downright awful now.

Originally posted by Crazyhorsek

wow... believe it or not it took me 6 months to get my first 50 in my mercenary...

I do believe it, it took the same on my first character, an Armsman. However my second character, made just after I hit 50 only took a month. That was before all the new content was added. It took so long the first time mostly because it's a learning experience, everyone was grouping together, trying to find better loot. That is just the way I see it, but i can understand where you are coming from.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

DID I SAY DIE?

Considering while it was still being actively developed it was the second biggest MMO on the market, and it started with a small 30 man company, I'd say they did well, yeah.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Aviggin
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

I did play it...was meh.

I think you will find though that a lot op people complaining are TES fans.....isn't that odd!

Most of the people complaining are idiots with nothing to do at work or school, so they start drama because this is the big MMO release of 2013.

Thread should have ended here due to hypocrisy.

Good thing hypocrisy is this forums first language.

Well played, good sir.

• PinturicchioPinturicchio Member UncommonPosts: 36

I notice that the only people complaining have never played DAoC and do not realize the awesomeness that is about to be unleashed in 2013 called ESO. I have been waiting for a DAoC 3 Faction RvR game since the WoW Clone Wars began. This is going to be the MMO that will bring balance back to the force.

I suggest people try out DAoC to see how three faction gameplay works. I understand DAoC isn't what it used to be but you will get an idea.

Kudos

Originally posted by Pinturicchio

Kudos

I notice that the only people defending ESO have never played TES and do not realize the awesomeness the could've been unleashed in 2013 called ESO.  I have been waiting for a TES MMO since Oblivion.  This is going to be a MMO that will disappoint to both DAoC and TES fans.

I suggest people play TES to see how the gameplay works.  I understand TES isn't a MMO but you will get an idea.

Originally posted by sapphen
    Originally posted by Pinturicchio

Kudos

I notice that the only people defending ESO have never played TES and do not realize the awesomeness the could've been unleashed in 2013 called ESO.  I have been waiting for a TES MMO since Oblivion.  This is going to be a MMO that will be a disappointment to both DAoC and TES fans.

I suggest people play TES to see how the gameplay works.  I understand TES isn't a MMO but you will get an idea.

Clever. I remember talking to friends about wanting a lobby system for Morrowind to play online with, then we decided an MMO would be even better. I'm just glad they took the idea to heart, we won't really know what the game holds till we play it. There are a lot more than a few TES fans here that play MMO's too, so a good fusion between the two if done right will be amazing.

Pint
    I've been playing tes for years, since Morrowind, I didn't care much for oblivion, though I gather its good with the right mods. I'm STILL playing skyrim more than I play any other game, including mmos. Skyrim is my main game, its where I get my pve. My second game is planetside 2 for my pvp. I don't play any other mmos. TESO appeals a lot to me, I get 3 skyrims to pve in and a fantasy planetside to pvp in. 4 games for the price of one.
    Sorry should have replied to sapphen
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by sapphen

I notice that the only people defending ESO have never played TES and do not realize the awesomeness the could've been unleashed in 2013 called ESO.  I have been waiting for a TES MMO since Oblivion.  This is going to be a MMO that will disappoint to both DAoC and TES fans.

Here we go again, if we dont agree with you we are not tes fans

Ive wanted to play a tes mmo for over 10 years, and this tes mmo makes me very happy idd, but because its not the tes mmo YOU want those of us that do somehow don't count?

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122
    Nope its only a real TESO MMO if Sapphen say so.... Right?
    Originally posted by ikarrian
    Nope its only a real TESO MMO if Sapphen say so.... Right?

It's about time you DAoC fanatics in TES clothing came around.

It's about time you SWG fanatics in TES clothing funded your own game.
    LOL, I never mentioned SWG.  You guys are jumping around here saying "I love DAoC - it belongs here!"  Only thing I ask for is what was in other TES games.  Freedom to explore unhindered by faction and freedom to choose your own faction.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    It's about time you SWG fanatics in TES clothing funded your own game.
    LOL

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122

As long as the game doesnt feel and  is not played as WoW or GW2. Then i'm thrilled. 

For the record, i played UO mostly back then, not very much DAoC. Still both are great games.

If i had two heads and four arms, i would had played both at same time.... bloody shame!

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289

The game is still around. I think it is safe to assume that it didn't "under perform" in any way. Any game that can go beyond 10 years is doing something right. :)

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    The game will not have traditional first-person TES combat, but from what I've seen in videos,  it doesn't look like it's doing either MMO's or TES a terrible injustice, and are combining the two in a meaningful way. We'll find out soon enough, however.