Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: In Anticipation of Beta

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week, Square Enix announced that the first round of beta testing for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn will kick off in February. Today we take a look at the prospect of beta testing and what it all means. Read on and then add your voice to the comments.

With 2012 and FFXIV 1.0 now things of the past, discussion of what was is for historians while the rest of us look ahead.  The upcoming year promises to be an interesting one for Final Fantasy MMO fans.  We will soon see the Realm Reborn beta, which should take us through the first half of the year.  Following that we will see something relatively unheard of in the industry; an entire rebuild and relaunch of an MMO franchise.

Read more of Ryahl Smith's Eorzea Reborn: In Anticipation of Beta.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Kenshin_HimuraKenshin_Himura Member Posts: 75
    I loved every moment of FXIV 1.0 and can't wait till open beta to start playing again. Yoshi said open beta will not be wiped and progress will be saved.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Wow my teachers would kill me if i would present them such a weak Projectplan. Very weak planned.
    Other gaming companies have no project plan at all so you were saying?

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by exile01
    Wow my teachers would kill me if i would present them such a weak Projectplan. Very weak planned.

It is? I just assumed this was a  broad sketch meant for public consumption. What exactly is weak about it? Also bear in mind that this is a reboot, not a game being built from the ground up.

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I missed this game.
  • SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

Dumbed down for the masses

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• guin10guin10 Member Posts: 21

Ncsoft, En Masse, etc... learn with Square-Enix:

- Beta in the same day for America, Europe and Asia;

- worldwide release;

- patches in the same day for America, Europe and Asia.

Me not reading the original article. Ignore.
  • ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

BTW...what you do in Beta 4 carries over to launch... there's no wipe after Beta 4.  If you get into Beta 4, that's the official launch for you... which is a month or more earlier than the "official release."

As a legacy member.. this pleases me :)

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Do you honestly think that that is all they have??  What is released as part of a media blitz and what goes on behind the scenes is completely different.  I work on relatively small projects compared to an MMO and I can tell you what we present in briefings to VIPs is nothing compared to internal documents.

Lets be a bit realistic in bashing a company and bash on actual issues.

I self identify as a monkey.

Originally posted by ZizouX

BTW...what you do in Beta 4 carries over to launch... there's no wipe after Beta 4.  If you get into Beta 4, that's the official launch for you... which is a month or more earlier than the "official release."

Thanks. Good to know.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Kenshin_Himura
    I loved every moment of FXIV 1.0 and can't wait till open beta to start playing again. Yoshi said open beta will not be wiped and progress will be saved.

Do you have a link to where Yoshi said that?  I have never read that before..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Originally posted by GwapoJosh

Open Beta is considered Beta4 in that table you see there. I follow every little or big info about the game I might be the biggest fan of all kept playing even when all critisized the game.

Go to lodestone forum and find it there is just too much info for me to go dig that out now.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I would like to know as well.  I don't normally play much in betas, other than to get a feel.  However, if they don't wipe, I'll definitely be there.

I self identify as a monkey.

• zenaku14zenaku14 Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by ZizouX

The only people that get there char save is everyone who play 1.0 version everyone else have to go and buy the game and play from level 1

• zenaku14zenaku14 Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

I would like to know as well.  I don't normally play much in betas, other than to get a feel.  However, if they don't wipe, I'll definitely be there.

It's only for 1.0 players everyone else who does not have a 1.0 account would be wipe just like a normal beta. Us 1.0 members get early access and we can use our old 1.0 chars and remake them in beta4 but this is not set in stone yoshi-p said this may or may not happen.

• guin10guin10 Member Posts: 21

It's not only for 1.0 players: Beta Roadmap

Beta Test Phase 4 - Characters created during this phase will be carried over to the official release

• RyahlRyahl Member Posts: 47

Hi everyone!

Thank you all for reading and thanks for the comments.

A very big thank you @ZizouX for reminding us of the Beta 4 carry-over and a similar thanks @Guin10 for providing a source and confirmation!

Also, thanks for the heads-up @DrivenDawn regarding Golden Saucer.  I was planning on working Caravan Defense with a few other elements in the next column.  I'm going to need to do some research on GS and its incarnation in FFXIV.

Ryahl - writer of eye-bleeders
    FFXIV Fansite | TSWGuides
    Follow me on Twitter

• XCmanXCman Member UncommonPosts: 10

It's weak because it's flexible and has plenty of room for change?  It's pretty unprecedented for a game developer to devulge any amount of their development process to the community ahead of time.  A more detailed plan is not needed to give to the community because:

A: Not necessary because it would contain information that the majority of the community would not understand.

B: and the main reason! Would contain spoilers that would ruin the game experience for the players already interested in the game.

The schedule is loose because of a fairly famous business rule:  Underpromise and Overdeliver.

If you cut yourself short on time because you allot only the time it takes to get the job done you are setting yourself up to fail when things unexpected come along.  So I think this is a very forward thinking and flexible road map for Beta to Launch for FFXIV:ARR.

Anyone got a source that nails down how committed SE is to simulataneous release on PC and consoles?
  • YayohYayoh Member Posts: 1

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    Originally posted by Smoey

Dumbed down for the masses

His teacher didnt teach him that in his high school class.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• smackizarsmackizar Member Posts: 2

Those who cannot do teach, they say. Profitible, experienced corperations planning 9/10 times is > school's idea of how it actually works in the industry.

• LeviathonlxLeviathonlx Member Posts: 135
    At least it seems Square is running an actual Beta for their game. Unlike certain other games in the past year and the future who run monthly 'Beta weekends' which are more preview days since 3 days a month isn't Beta testing. Also why said games are incredibly buggy at release since they only have a very small test group do the actual Beta testing (otherwise known as every high level zone in GW2 for months after release).

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Still curious about this. Did not play 1.0.  I get the whole quest-hub thing and fine with it.  But what ELSE will we be able to do?  Can we fish? Can we craft *useable* weapons/gear?

Quest hubs only get boring when thats the only thing (system) in the game that progresses you.  We need options.