Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

User rating down to 6.6 is a bit harsh don't you think ?

BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Just noticed the user review rating went down over night from 7.2 to 6.6 and I feel that's a bit harsh. Considering the game is picking up and there are some great updates / expansion coming up. What do you guys think ? People really do have it in for this game it seems.

Cheers ,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
"SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

Comments

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

ratings on this website are 100% worthless. not even talking about this game either.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

6.6 is good, as here is a re-review that scores it 4!

The problem is that the updates/expansion is coming and not in game already and the expansion / Makeb was going to be a major free update and expected to be in game before the end of 2012. The game is not picking up, it is slowing down.

Makeb was announced in June 2012 maybe before, with ETA to be in game before end of 2012, but now not due until Spring/June 2013, almost 1 year later, and 6 months after it being classed as an expansion.

EQ2 latest expansion was announced Oct 2012 at SOE live, and in Nov 2012, about 1 month later - Thats the way to do it!

I bet if the game was doing well, Makeb would have been in by the end of 2012, and more content done for an expansion in the Spring, but all they seem to be doing is spreading out content that they have already done, instead of getting on creating more new content.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

I think up until this month I was still paying a sub hoping they would fix the problems. No more money from me, and they deserve a lower rating adding content no one cares about when they cant even get the game to function right as is.

That's just my opinion as someone who has played a lot of it this past year.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by baphamet

ratings on this website are 100% worthless. not even talking about this game either.

This. I mean really, who cares? If anything, I'd take a low score from this site as a badge of honor. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• theoneandonlytheoneandonly Member Posts: 102
    5.5 is about right. 6.6 a bit high for that game.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No 6 is what reviewers should have given it in the first place. Frankly its the worst mmo I've played, my personal score would be 2 or 3 out of ten.
  • bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

I give the game a 5.  It was enough to keep me entertained for a bit.  Unfortunately, Bioware/EA (and all the other companies) don't realize this isn't the old days.  People aren't as willing to wait forever for them to fix shit. 

I would also imagine the F2P restrictions would cause a drop in rating.  I know I would rate it much lower with all those restrictions.  I don't think EA has any idea what to do with MMOs.  After playing WAR and SWTOR I won't buy another MMO from EA.  All they like to do is rush games that have great concepts, then watch it fail.  If they had been patient with both games, I'm almost positive they would have been great.  

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

The scoring on this site is a little wonky.

ToR is perhaps a little under-rated. People as always concentrate too much on the negative sides and not enough on the positive sides, but to me this game is definitely far better than the average MMORPG out there. I would rate this game overall as a 7.0

As to GW2, I find it is over-rated. It is definitely not a bad game, but its score of over 8 means it is really one of the best, if not the best MMORPGs ever released, and there I strongly have to disagree. I do not in any way, shape or form believe that GW2 is better than EQ1, EQ2, DAoC, or EVE, and yet this site rates it as being far better than any of those games.

To me, only the pioneering classics should have 8's, like the EQ series, EVE, and DAoC. AO perhaps should have a 7.5 because it was a buggy mess, but it definitely was first for a lot of things.

This site also rates down games that break the mould such as ATitD or Ryzome.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Meh. I don't think many people put much stock in the arbitraty number of a review rating.

To be honest, if someone was looking for a magic review number, they'ld probablly add the critical review and the user review together and divide by 2; for this game that would yield a 7.65, which is pretty decent.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

It's only going to keep going down, IMO.

I want SWTOR to succeed, but bad decision after bad decision by EA is tanking this game.  Lack of content is BAD.  F2P restrictions are comical at best.  The Cartel Market is P2W, and the only way to be a mount or pet collector is to buy from others who spend money, or spend money yourself.  Which creates a really shitty economy for those who play without buying from the cash shop.

I would think that the emphasis would be on player satisfaction so the graphics engine would get improvement.  But no.  This game still can't handle multiplayer environments above 16 or so players on a common computer.  40 if you have a $5000 machine, but that is still a long ways off from WoW, who did Alterac Valley 40 vs 40 in 2000 without dropping framerates.

Customer service is also abyssmal.  If I could rate it a zero, I would.  Bot responses to clear the ticket without actually solving the problem are very uncool.

Stories, music, sound effects, and art work are really good.  The rest, meh.  A 6 rating is giving this game enough already, because buying the soundtrack is a lot cheaper than buying the game.  As an MMO, a poor graphics engine and slow loads between zones (if they must have them) turn me off ... this game has sloppy written all over it.  EA style.

I can even live with cartoony graphics.. HOWEVER, I can't live with 10-20 fps in a common hub, or < 1 fps in world PVP.

The rating was being generous.

ps - sadly it was the folks who did all the awesome sounds, music, and art who got fired last year.  The shitty game designers still have their jobs.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    This game was such a big disappointment that it left a sour taste in many folks.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

6.6 is a more 'average' score which I can see the game getting with the story (least some of it) boosting it up to that.

That being said though, there are other games that are way over-rated such as GW2 which has a score much higher then it really deserves as well. Scores are just silly to use as a basis, they are almost never right either over bloated or overly harsh in cases. 

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    This game was such a big disappointment that it left a sour taste in many folks.

Your phrassing makes me wonder if you are a disappointed canibal.

Originally posted by Purutzil

6.6 is a more 'average' score which I can see the game getting with the story (least some of it) boosting it up to that.

That being said though, there are other games that are way over-rated such as GW2 which has a score much higher then it really deserves as well. Scores are just silly to use as a basis, they are almost never right either over bloated or overly harsh in cases. 

I anticipate GW2's score to dwindle as well.  If anything rating (reviews) are just hype for the moment, like SWTOR.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    It's because Path of Exile just launched and showed up in the ratings with a very high rating.  A game's displayed rating depends both on the numerical average of people who have rated the game and also on the rating of the top game.  As Path of Exile's rating comes back down, the rest of the ratings will go back up, at least until it drops back behind Guild Wars 2.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    i think 6.6 is still too high personally not only is this one of the largest failures as an mmorpg to date , but it would even be considered a terrible single player rpg as well with games like fallout new vegas and skyrim on the single player market. This game is linear and static with low quality graphics and very boring and bland classes not sure why anyone would even want to play this game at end game with every class being cookie cutter specs and the same boring gear treadmill and slow updates. At least SWG had open world freedom to it though it was not that great either.
  • DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by Karteli

It's only going to keep going down, IMO.

I want SWTOR to succeed, but bad decision after bad decision by EA is tanking this game.  Lack of content is BAD.  F2P restrictions are comical at best.

I would think that the emphasis would be on player satisfaction so the graphics engine would get improvement.  But no.  This game still can't handle multiplayer environments above 16 or so players on a common computer.  40 if you have a $5000 machine, but that is still a long ways off from WoW, who did Alterac Valley 40 vs 40 in 2000 without dropping framerates.

Customer service is also abyssmal.  If I could rate it a zero, I would.  Bot responses to clear the ticket without actually solving the problem are very uncool.

Stories, music, sound effects, and art work are really good.  The rest, meh.  A 6 rating is giving this game enough already, because buying the soundtrack is a lot cheaper than buying the game.  As an MMO, quality graphics engine and fast loads between zones (if they must have them) turn me off ... this game has sloppy written all over it.  EA style.

I can even live with cartoony graphics.. HOWEVER, I can't live with 10-20 fps in a common hub, or < 1 fps in world PVP.

The rating was being generous.

Spot on. I was one of the first Snipers to hit 50 on my server so I got a lot of invited to pug raids and we couldnt even clear due to the sheer amount of bugs. If i remember correctly one raid had a boss named "RAID MONSTER 001" or somethign like that. EAs fatal mistake was them hiring A LOT of inexperienced devs to work on swtor instead of hiring a small amount of GOOD devs. Doesnt help that they used an inomplete hero engine...

INB4 Sevenstar defends the game.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• Insane666Insane666 Member UncommonPosts: 67

this was one of the most overrated games on this, and other mmo sites for wayyy to long, finally its scores are going into the right direction,,,

btw, review ratings on this site are jokes, site rating 8.7, user rating 6.6,,, i can bet a portion of the "biggest budget in mmo history" went into mmorpg's reviewers/owners pockets

only ratings that are at least somewhat realistic are those for indie titles, pretty much every new AAA title is over rated on this site

shame mmorpg.com, shame on you

Games previously played: AO, AoC, Aion, AoW, Eve, SWTor, WaR, STO, TSW, DCUO, FE, BP, ProjectEntropia, FootballSuperstars!

• DarthMajinDarthMajin Member Posts: 92
    I didn't even finish my first month before I stopped playing when I pre-ordered the game. I was so excited about it, but it is probably the worst one I have played.

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Judging by what I've read, I'd be inclined to say it only managed to score a 6.6 because the review system forces you to rate categories like graphics, sounds, etc. and doesn't let you give an overall score.
    Originally posted by Scottgun
    Judging by what I've read, I'd be inclined to say it only managed to score a 6.6 because the review system forces you to rate categories like graphics, sounds, etc. and doesn't let you give an overall score.

That is the overall score, though.

It discourages people from rating a game a cruddy 1, or an awesome 10.  The submitter has to think about the categories.  A really good game might still have a rating of only 8-9, user submitted, because it fell short in some other area.

It makes a perfect 10 hard to come by, which is actually good when reviewing.  Also it makes a big zero also more difficult to rate.  Of course some people may abuse this system, but they are just lying to themselves (if they are abusing).

Like with SWTOR, I couldn't give it a "1" .. because it did have things going for it, like it's amazing soundtrack and stories.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

i would seriously like to see the fans of this game come on here and actually compare this game to every other mmorpg out there and rate it accordingly based on how much this game offers vs every other mmo on the market. This game doesnt even offer half the stuff other triple A mmos do and certain people here idolize it. The worst thing of all is this is EA cashing in on the star wars IP because some people would rather just play a crappy star wars game than let it die off and someone make a actual good one.

The pvp is horrible with just a few warfronts you have to randomly queue for and not even allowed to pick them.

There is no end game but raiding and pvp.

All the classes are cookie cutter and limited.

The story is just recycled voice sets over and over again with half the story poorly even written to begin with.

No wardrobe system but augment sets

Terrible graphics and subpar coding on the engine

No personal housing at all or major social hubs

The engine cannot even handle more than 10 people on the screen at once everything is heavily instanced

I hate to sound negative on this game all the time but honestly its just a poorly made game made by a parent company that doesnt give two craps about improving it at all just making money.

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by Scottgun

That is the overall score, though.

It discourages people from rating a game a cruddy 1, or an awesome 10.  A really good game might still have a rating of only 8-9, user submitted.

It makes a perfect 10 hard to come by, which is actually good when reviewing.

Like with SWTOR, I couldn't give it a "1" .. because it did have things going for it, like it's amazing soundtrack and stories.

But if a game is indeed pure crap, great graphics don't mean anything and obscure what you really think of the game. I get that fanbois will give it 10's and h8ters will give it 1's, but so what? If someone thinks a game is a true 7, they are just going to click all 7's. Why go through the charade? Why impose the idea that all the categories are of equal weight?

• GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134

6.6 seems a  bit high to me.

SWtOR does nothing better than average with the exception of the voice acting.

If we assume 5 is an average score out of 10, add a point for the voice acting and you get a 6.

This game should be happy with 6.6.