Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Path of Exile: The Games of 2013: Path of Exile

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Part of our ongoing effort to keep our readers informed is to make sure they have the knowledge they need to be excited about a game. We've reached out to every developer releasing a game this year to have them talk a bit about why their game is special. Next up in this ongoing series is Grinding Gears Games' Path of Exile. Read our mini-interview and then talk about it in the comments.

MMORPG: How do you think your game will stand out from the crowd of this year's releases?

Path of Exile has a bunch of things going for it that will differentiate it from similar games in the genre. For starters, Path of Exile is an Online-only multiplayer game. Every game is hosted on closed servers owned and run by Grinding Gear Games, which means that all characters are secure. Players have to play hard and trade hard to acquire great wealth and great equipment in Path of Exile - they're unable to cheat the items into existence.

Read more of Bill Murphy's The Games of 2013: Path of Exile.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    with all its flaws love it or hate it- i prefer Diablo 3.
  • crimsion2501crimsion2501 Member UncommonPosts: 7

wondering what kind of flaws you're talking about because what u see as a flaw others may not 

• bambookbambook Member UncommonPosts: 180
    I prefer diablo 3
  • vonslashavonslasha Member Posts: 31
    so  you only get a choice between 6 premade characters instead of making my own? cant choose your players sex either? if so no thanks, hope im wrong
  • budbundybudbundy Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I have to admit its a lot of fun. I like it better than diablo 3, Its double the fun for no money and love that you have to work for your gear and no one has an advantage based on their income.
  • FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    This game speaks for itself, it's free to play so try it out and judge for yourself. For me it's the best game in a long time.
  • DilweedDilweed Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by Foncl
    This game speaks for itself, it's free to play so try it out and judge for yourself. For me it's the best game in a long time.

what he says

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by crimsion2501

wondering what kind of flaws you're talking about because what u see as a flaw others may not 

My point was that xcly- all the bad press and good press D3 got last year. i didnt care for, I just enjoyed the game- and yes ill say it- the Cash AH!

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

I play PoE since closed beta, and I'm disappointed by diablo 3 as veryone else and i can see why many people are putting much hope on PoE, but i think most of them lost a bit of perspective on this game.

PoE is a good game, for an indi game, but I can''t see it as the Game of 2013. In the long run I think Diablo 3 is still the safest bet.

• Azuri21Azuri21 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Finally an ARPG that gives the player some depth. If you only played D3 then you have little to compare with. If you loved and played D2 then this is a great game.

Still a bit of polish is required in a few areas but replayabilty and all the good things that got axed in D3 can be found in PoE. No silly RMAH or horrible loot RNG that turned D3 into a p2w RPG.
  • rmk70rmk70 Member UncommonPosts: 408
    Really getting addicted to this game. Haven't had a game for a while where I can't wait to get home to play. 
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Afer the pile of poo D3 was im glad i fonud this :)

• imaginaimagina Member Posts: 104
    This is much much better to my pov than diablo 3 that is still a badly wrapped comic style textured game that couldn't deliver that particular feeling you had in D1 and D2, POE is an excellent game and i'm becoming much more addicted to it than i ever was for D3.
  • koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171

Tried the game, have lot of good things but the lack of custamisation of toons and how ugly they look (mobs look better then my char) and the chunky graph i just cant play it.  It all looks so filthy that is just out of my taste. That does not mean game is bad tat is only why I cant play even I would love to :D

Torchlight 2 is still the best choice for me.

• TanarisTanaris Member UncommonPosts: 29

For a f2p-game PoE seems to be quite good. Personally I didnt like the look & feel (especially the "stiffness" of everything)

If you're looking for good quality you should definitely get D3. It's so much fun after all those updates.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

POE is one of the BEST cures for the wounds inflicted by mediocrity that was World of Diablocraft III.

Its nice to see that there still are developers who DO get on why people loved the original two games so much, and at the same time those developers manage to innovate and add awesome new things into the good old Diablo formula.

For all intents and purposes, Path of Exile is what D3 SHOULD have been.

Originally posted by Tanaris   If you're looking for good quality you should definitely get D3. It's so much fun after all those updates.
    :DD This was a good joke. 

That WAS a joke, right?

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

Soft interview.  Really asking the tough questions these days.

If D3's public party experience and instanced looting were implemented in PoE, game would be phenomenal.  Until they fix the party loot options, its a great single player game, or fun with trusted friends.  The 3-hour HC race leagues are really entertaining, probably the highlight of my time in closed.

*edit - Sorry I misunderstood about this being a series, as this was the first one I noticed.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Zooce, these are brief looks at the games coming out in 2013. Not hardball interviews.  Our hope is to introduce players to every game that's aiming to launch this year, though it's proving an arduous task.  We already have 6-9 more brief interviews (with the same questions) in the kitty for the next week or two.

Some are big games, other are smaller.  But they're all being asked the same question because the series is about "Such and Such Game's Goals for 2013".

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Tanaris

For a f2p-game PoE seems to be quite good. Personally I didnt like the look & feel (especially the "stiffness" of everything)

If you're looking for good quality you should definitely get D3. It's so much fun after all those updates.

How much is blizzard paying you? Just curious, i'll sell myself for money too! D3 ROCKS! :P PoE is a great game, played it a good bit over the weekend. I like that loot is not based per person, it gives more of a rush like D2 did when you killed a boss. Also I feel like D3's public game system was absolutely abysmal and a step down from D2 or really most other ARPG's in general.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by vonslasha
    so  you only get a choice between 6 premade characters instead of making my own? cant choose your players sex either? if so no thanks, hope im wrong

A little bit of research on the main website would of answered this for you.

6 characters are not pre-mades nor templates. There are three core starting classes strength, dexterity and intelligence and three hybrids.

What this means is 'your' build is achieved easier by picking the class that is closer to the passive skill nodes. So picking a ranger will situate closer to dexterity and bow related nodes. Picking a Marauder will stick you closer to strength nodes.

Its all about the positioning of the nodes as to why you pick that class so you can achieve your own personal build easier.

Nothing stops you from making a heavy armour, wand weilding magic tank. Nothing stops you making a ranger who uses daggers and dabbles in necromancy, or a witch that likes to get up close and personal with a mace. Nothing is restricted, its all for the sake of helping you garner the skills you want to play with.

As for your other question, no there is not 'male or 'female' option for each character. This is a cosmetic thing and I imagine GGG will release these as micro-transactions. Which, I can't fault them with because it is a F2P game after all and they need to make their money somehow.

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

as soon as they add an option for the party leader to select loot style I will go from liking this game to loving this game.

D2 loot rush was never fun for me, and PoE loot rush means I have to play like a jerk just to secure loot allocated to my character when I would prefer to focus on actually clearing the area so it is safe enough to loot.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Count me as another person who was massively disappointed with Diablo 3. Path of Exile has been a blast of fresh air. Choices matter in Path of Exile. Customization is a real possibility in PoE. So far, the game has been a lot of fun.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I'm pretty addicted to this at the moment. It's been a while since that happened to me.

Once you get onto the cruel difficultly, start getting the really interesting items and skill gems. and start getting your ass kicked and losing experience on death... that's when you know you are playing something truely special. You have to tweak your skills, sockets, passives and items so that they all compliment each other. The best part is, there is no one size fits all in PoE. An item which is the best in the game fo one Templar might be useless to another, depending on thier builds and playstyle. This isn't like in D3 where it doesn't matter if you ran round that corner like an idiot without thinking and die. It's also unlike D3 because when you die it's not because the enemies have rediculous health and damage numbers, it's more acceptable because, most of the time, your death is caused by a mechanic.. not just high numbers. Things that, if you were paying more attention, you know you could have avoided.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    The game itself is great, I love it.  However, the community is full of ninja looters, DDOSers, and people abusing systems like higher levels killing bosses for increased loot while the lower levels are making thier way to the boss.  The lower levels get to the boss, and he's dead and they can't do the quest they wanted or get any loot.  Nothing is more frustrating to me than going through a boss door to find nothing inside except a couple of white items laying around and a portal lol.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    POE is easily one of the best ARPG's ever made, up there with diablo 2.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL