Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OK for melee, what about ranged combat?

GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
DO we know if ranged combat/spellcasting is equally non-tab-target like melee (apparently) is? Do you have to aim or do you simply select a target and spam 1,2,3,4?

Comments

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    I really do hope i get to aim, cause im actually good at it. Also big damage on sneak attacks please.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    it has hard lock(tab targeting) buty you can freely attack and aim anything as well. guess which the path of least resistance will be.
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

This is what paul sage had said about it:

What we can tell you right now is that the targeting system is very similar to what you experienced when you visited us for the preview event. Like in Skyrim, your attacks go where your reticle is aimed. So, while we don’t have traditional tab-targeting, we do have a system where if enemies are close together, you can tab to select the one you wish to hit. Think of this more as an aid to aiming, and this can be especially effective for ranged combat.

All targeting is ultimately based on where your reticle is aimed–when you have your reticle aimed at a monster (or group of monsters) you can lock onto a target and even cycle through a group to select the one you want to attack. In the case of monsters that are closely stacked on each other, the one you have ‘selected’ is the one your attacks will hit. If your reticle is clearly on one target but your target-aid is on another target, you will still hit the target your reticle is on. Also, you must be facing your target to hit them.

There’s a bit more to the targeting and aiming system than that (and we’ll go into more detail in the Ask Us Anything and upcoming combat-centric community content), but hopefully that gives you a general idea. As with anything in development, just keep in mind that this is subject to change.

link

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Galadourn
    DO we know if ranged combat/spellcasting is equally non-tab-target like melee (apparently) is? Do you have to aim or do you simply select a target and spam 1,2,3,4?

It is.  For healing though we don't know how it will work though.

For ranged Archery and Magic it works the same as the melee.  Remember your first 2 slots are devoted to your weapon skills but I dunno if that includes your Left Mouse Button, I imagine it doesn't.  I would guess your LMB is used as a resource free (or insignificant cost) light attack but I could be wrong about that.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by Rthuth434
    it has hard lock(tab targeting) buty you can freely attack and aim anything as well. guess which the path of least resistance will be.

Theres no hard lock, tab is only there for sorting out stacked mobs, if you tab one mob and target another it will always go to the mob your reticle is on

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I'm glad projectiles won't be homing missles... like in WoW. That stuff is wiggity wack.
  • WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

Having to aim your spells and arrows makes combat SOOOOO much more fun.

I really hope this is the case, After playing Skryim and Farcry 3 I think that normal tab targeting will bore the hell out of me.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Do you promise that as a melee charcter, I won't be snared, turned into a pincushion while a pet gnaws on my legs, till I finally get unsnared to chase a hunter who, while facing away from me and running, continually fires arrows at me?
  • CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by tiefighter25
    Do you promise that as a melee charcter, I won't be snared, turned into a pincushion while a pet gnaws on my legs, till I finally get unsnared to chase a hunter who, while facing away from me and running, continually fires arrows at me?

don't forget "(...) continually fires arrows at me through trees and rocks"

That was a pretty acurate description lol

Originally posted by tiefighter25

You will more than likely have a gap closer (we already know the DK has) also everyone has a cc break/immunity ability and if an archer can fire at you while running away without the aid of a hard lock then more power to him/her

• PaincakePaincake Member Posts: 139
    Originally posted by deakon

What we can tell you right now is that the targeting system is very similar to what you experienced when you visited us for the preview event. Like in Skyrim, your attacks go where your reticle is aimed. So, while we don’t have traditional tab-targeting, we do have a system where if enemies are close together, you can tab to select the one you wish to hit. Think of this more as an aid to aiming, and this can be especially effective for ranged combat.

All targeting is ultimately based on where your reticle is aimed–when you have your reticle aimed at a monster (or group of monsters) you can lock onto a target and even cycle through a group to select the one you want to attack. In the case of monsters that are closely stacked on each other, the one you have ‘selected’ is the one your attacks will hit. If your reticle is clearly on one target but your target-aid is on another target, you will still hit the target your reticle is on. Also, you must be facing your target to hit them.

There’s a bit more to the targeting and aiming system than that (and we’ll go into more detail in the Ask Us Anything and upcoming combat-centric community content), but hopefully that gives you a general idea. As with anything in development, just keep in mind that this is subject to change.

link

Sounds allright I suppose, first I'd like to see it with my own eyes. They should release a video with gameplay demonstration. I hope its not consolized where the aim is aiding you too much.

• Even if you manually have to place your aiming reticle at something before firing that doesn't exclude your spells are "homing."

And frankly it's probably not going to be very fun to be a mage if anyone can simply sidestep your spells.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

Ugh, that's terrible. 

Originally posted by Paincake

link

Sounds allright I suppose, first I'd like to see it with my own eyes. They should release a video with gameplay demonstration. I hope its not consolized where the aim is aiding you too much.

Sounds like STOs version of aimed targeting,which is just ridiculously watered down and doesn't actually reward being a decent aim... It's just a targeting system.

Originally posted by Draemos

link

Sounds like STOs version of aimed targeting,which is just ridiculously watered down and doesn't actually reward being a decent aim... It's just a targeting system.

Its not like sto at all as it isnt tab targeting

Its reticle targeting but with a soft lock (kinda like mass effect), you can use tab to sort through stacked targets but if you tab target someone and aim at someone who isnt stacked  by your tabbed target you will hit the person your reticle is on not the person tabbed, if you arent aiming at the person with your reticle you wont hit them regardless of tab

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Draemos Originally posted by Paincake Originally posted by deakon This is what paul sage had said about it:     What we can tell you right now is that the targeting system is very similar to what you experienced when you visited us for the preview event. Like in Skyrim, your attacks go where your reticle is aimed. So, while we don’t have traditional tab-targeting, we do have a system where if enemies are close together, you can tab to select the one you wish to hit. Think of this more as an aid to aiming, and this can be especially effective for ranged combat. All targeting is ultimately based on where your reticle is aimed–when you have your reticle aimed at a monster (or group of monsters) you can lock onto a target and even cycle through a group to select the one you want to attack. In the case of monsters that are closely stacked on each other, the one you have ‘selected’ is the one your attacks will hit. If your reticle is clearly on one target but your target-aid is on another target, you will still hit the target your reticle is on. Also, you must be facing your target to hit them. There’s a bit more to the targeting and aiming system than that (and we’ll go into more detail in the Ask Us Anything and upcoming combat-centric community content), but hopefully that gives you a general idea. As with anything in development, just keep in mind that this is subject to change.
      link

Its reticle targeting but with a soft lock (kinda like mass effect), you can use tab to sort through stacked targets but if you tab target someone and aim at someone who isnt stacked  by your tabbed target you will hit the person your reticle is on not the person tabbed, if you arent aiming at the person with your reticle you wont hit them regardless of tab

That's not what ive read in videos, When Targeting is referenced its always like this.

"You can lock a target so its easy to hit in a group" - Which would imply that it negates splintering off and damaging the other mobs.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by deakon This is what paul sage had said about it:    

What we can tell you right now is that the targeting system is very similar to what you experienced when you visited us for the preview event. Like in Skyrim, your attacks go where your reticle is aimed. So, while we don’t have traditional tab-targeting, we do have a system where if enemies are close together, you can tab to select the one you wish to hit. Think of this more as an aid to aiming, and this can be especially effective for ranged combat. All targeting is ultimately based on where your reticle is aimed–when you have your reticle aimed at a monster (or group of monsters) you can lock onto a target and even cycle through a group to select the one you want to attack. In the case of monsters that are closely stacked on each other, the one you have ‘selected’ is the one your attacks will hit. If your reticle is clearly on one target but your target-aid is on another target, you will still hit the target your reticle is on. Also, you must be facing your target to hit them. There’s a bit more to the targeting and aiming system than that (and we’ll go into more detail in the Ask Us Anything and upcoming combat-centric community content), but hopefully that gives you a general idea. As with anything in development, just keep in mind that this is subject to change.
      link

That's not what ive read in videos, When Targeting is referenced its always like this.

"You can lock a target so its easy to hit in a group" - Which would imply that it negates splintering off and damaging the other mobs.

Maby if you read through the quotes in your post......

Here's the relevent bit:

"All targeting is ultimately based on where your reticle is aimed–when you have your reticle aimed at a monster (or group of monsters) you can lock onto a target and even cycle through a group to select the one you want to attack. In the case of monsters that are closely stacked on each other, the one you have ‘selected’ is the one your attacks will hit. If your reticle is clearly on one target but your target-aid is on another target, you will still hit the target your reticle is on. Also, you must be facing your target to hit them."

• General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136

What we can tell you right now is that the targeting system is very similar to what you experienced when you visited us for the preview event. Like in Skyrim, your attacks go where your reticle is aimed. So, while we don’t have traditional tab-targeting, we do have a system where if enemies are close together, you can tab to select the one you wish to hit. Think of this more as an aid to aiming, and this can be especially effective for ranged combat. All targeting is ultimately based on where your reticle is aimed–when you have your reticle aimed at a monster (or group of monsters) you can lock onto a target and even cycle through a group to select the one you want to attack. In the case of monsters that are closely stacked on each other, the one you have ‘selected’ is the one your attacks will hit. If your reticle is clearly on one target but your target-aid is on another target, you will still hit the target your reticle is on. Also, you must be facing your target to hit them. There’s a bit more to the targeting and aiming system than that (and we’ll go into more detail in the Ask Us Anything and upcoming combat-centric community content), but hopefully that gives you a general idea. As with anything in development, just keep in mind that this is subject to change.
      link

Here's the relevent bit:

"All targeting is ultimately based on where your reticle is aimed–when you have your reticle aimed at a monster (or group of monsters) you can lock onto a target and even cycle through a group to select the one you want to attack. In the case of monsters that are closely stacked on each other, the one you have ‘selected’ is the one your attacks will hit. If your reticle is clearly on one target but your target-aid is on another target, you will still hit the target your reticle is on. Also, you must be facing your target to hit them."

Sounds good to me.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    One thing it won't have though, the slow down when zoomed perks on archery, that won't work in a mmo.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    One thing it won't have though, the slow down when zoomed perks on archery, that won't work in a mmo.

Yeah I suspect thats one of the reasons why the game needs a soft lock too tbh, physics based projectiles would be extremely hard to pull off well in a mmo, infact any projectile with a noticable travel time would be hard to pull off without some form of aim assist, glad they confirmed dodge/roll for pvp in the latest guardian interview tho, so at least you can get out of the way even with the soft lock

link

I didn't say it was like STOs tab targeting...  I said it was like STOs manual targeting, which is nearly exactly what you described.  So thanks.

Originally posted by General_Dru-Zod

link

Here's the relevent bit:

Sounds good to me.

The facing bit pretty much confirms that it's a target lock system and that actual aiming is irrelevant, which is actually worse than STOs manual aim.  If it was an actual aiming system you wouldn't need to clarify a facing clause.

Originally posted by General_Dru-Zod

link

Here's the relevent bit:

Sounds good to me.

The facing bit pretty much confirms that it's a target lock system and that actual aiming is irrelevant, which is actually worse than STOs manual aim.  If it was an actual aiming system you wouldn't need to clarify a facing clause.

He states that if you aim with your reticle but target someone else with tab you hit where your reticle is aimed at, thats a pretty clear description of an actual aiming system