Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The people complaining...

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Maelwydd
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by Vonatar

I played DAoC briefly. It wasn't my thing because I'm not really into pvp.

I have played every TES game since Daggerfall so what ZeniMax are releasing isn't in my eyes an Elder Scrolls MMO. Not saying it's going to be bad, it could well be awesome for those people that like RvRvR pvp and/or loved DAoC. It's just not the Elder Scrolls MMO I would like to see.

I wish everyone on this forum was like this. Not what he wants, but not willing to completely write it off as a catastrophic failure. Good show.

I would say someone who states pretty much they will not play it has "written the game off" more then those saying they dislike a particular feature (and honestly, I can't think of anything else about the game people dislike...but it is such a HUGE part of the game to dislike).

Of course you don't write with passion if you don't really care about the subject.

I see what you were saying, I was referring to the doom and gloom posters who say this game or that game will fail in a years time without any info or sources. Disliking the game is one thing ( I dislike a lot of highly populated games ) but that does not rain on the parade of a games success. GW2 is a good example, I don't like it, but it is a highly successful title.

It's just a breath of fresh air to see someone who won't play the game say he can say why others will enjoy it.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

I'm willing to bet there are more fans of TES than of DAoC.  TES fans (imo) did not want a game totally focused around PvP.  DAoC-est RvR might've been welcomed if it hadn't changed some of the freedoms that TES was known for.

The war never should've been racial but rather 3 different groups or houses.  Players should choose which group they want to fight for and be able to explore the whole world (and don't hand me crap about faction imbalance, there are creative solutions to this issue).  We never wanted a single player game but an Elder Scrolls MMO.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by boxsnd
    [mod edit]

What kind of rubbish is that.

It's possibly rubbish coming from someone who is excited by a new pvp game but doesn't seem to really know much about elder scrolls.

Possibly.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113

what I don't understand is why video games peturb so many people so much? I see allot of anger for something that mainly consists of zero and ones and has no physical counterpart in reality other then data on a harddrive?!

I can say I hate something about a video game and people will go bonkers like I just told them something nasty about their mom.

At the end of the day if your invested in something enough emotionaly like a video game, and opposing viewpoints anger you to rage, then you may have to seek help. It's like getting mad at the wind and constanly walking around punching the air and calling it a looser. it makes no sense what-so-ever.

Strange world man.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by sapphen

I'm willing to bet there are more fans of TES than of DAoC.  TES fans (imo) did not want a game totally focused around PvP.  DAoC-est RvR might've been welcomed if it hadn't changed some of the freedoms that TES was known for.

The war never should've been racial but rather 3 different groups or houses.  Players should choose which group they want to fight for and be able to explore the whole world (and don't hand me crap about faction imbalance, there are creative solutions to this issue).  We never wanted a single player game but an Elder Scrolls MMO.

it could have a lot of groups and houses battling and spying and conspiring all over tamriel.

Originally posted by NC-John

what I don't understand is why video games peturb so many people so much? I see allot of anger for something that mainly consists of zero and ones and has no physical counterpart in reality other then data on a harddrive?!

I can say I hate something about a video game and people will go bonkers like I just told them something nasty about their mom.

At the end of the day if your invested in something enough emotionaly like a video game, and opposing viewpoints anger you to rage, then you may have to seek help. It's like getting mad at the wind and constanly walking around punching the air and calling a looser. it makes no sense what-so-ever.

Strange world man.

The curse of humanity. Hating and fearing what we don't like or understand. One day maybe we will evolve past squabbling over MMO's, but until then at least we have this forum :)

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

what I don't understand is why video games peturb so many people so much? I see allot of anger for something that mainly consists of zero and ones and has no physical counterpart in reality other then data on a harddrive?!I can say I hate something about a video game and people will go bonkers like I just told them something nasty about their mom.At the end of the day if your invested in something enough emotionaly like a video game, and opposing viewpoints anger you to rage, then you may have to seek help. It's like getting mad at the wind and constanly walking around punching the air and calling a looser. it makes no sense what-so-ever.Strange world man.

How is it any different than being polarized on a political view?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

At the end of the day if your invested in something enough emotionaly like a video game, and opposing viewpoints anger you to rage, then you may have to seek help. It's like getting mad at the wind and constanly walking around punching the air and calling a looser. it makes no sense what-so-ever.

Strange world man.

um... where to begin.

Though I agree that people need to lose "the hate" trying to diminish the effect something has because it's "zeroes and ones" and therefore somehow less real, makes no sense.

If I show you a painting it's just pigment. If I play you some Muzak it's just sound waves. Zeroes and ones represent elements that are presented to the player as light, objects, movement. And then they interact with it.

If I write a short story it's just data on paper.

As a matter of fact your post, though I like the thrust of it, makes no sense. Mad at the wind? The wind has no ideas behind it. It just is. It presents no viewpoints. It doesn't try to be anything and has no expectations other than it's wind.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

I have played every TES game since Daggerfall so what ZeniMax are releasing isn't in my eyes an Elder Scrolls MMO. Not saying it's going to be bad, it could well be awesome for those people that like RvRvR pvp and/or loved DAoC. It's just not the Elder Scrolls MMO I would like to see.

I wish everyone on this forum was like this. Not what he wants, but not willing to completely write it off as a catastrophic failure. Good show.

Thanks man.

I never get all the doomsayers wishing games to fail. We're gamers, we like games so why wouldn't we want the industry to have successes even if they're not to our individual taste?

From my perspective if TESO is a huge success, even if I don't like it myself, it's good for ZeniMax and good for Bethesda. Maybe they'll take some of the money they make and release TES VI or Fallout 4? That can only be a good thing.

Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by NC-John what I don't understand is why video games peturb so many people so much? I see allot of anger for something that mainly consists of zero and ones and has no physical counterpart in reality other then data on a harddrive?! I can say I hate something about a video game and people will go bonkers like I just told them something nasty about their mom. At the end of the day if your invested in something enough emotionaly like a video game, and opposing viewpoints anger you to rage, then you may have to seek help. It's like getting mad at the wind and constanly walking around punching the air and calling a looser. it makes no sense what-so-ever. Strange world man.
    um... where to begin.

Though I agree that people need to lose "the hate" trying to diminish the effect something has because it's "zeroes and ones" and therefore somehow less real, makes no sense.

If I show you a painting it's just pigment. If I play you some Muzak it's just sound waves. Zeroes and ones represent elements that are presented to the player as light, objects, movement. And then they interact with it.

As a matter of fact your post, though I like the thrust of it, makes no sense. Mad at the wind? The wind has no ideas behind it. It just is. It presents no viewpoints. It doesn't try to be anything and has no expectations other than it's wind.

That's very Zen of you Sovrath :p

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Thanks man.

I never get all the doomsayers wishing games to fail. We're gamers, we like games so why wouldn't we want the industry to have successes even if they're not to our individual taste?

From my perspective if TESO is a huge success, even if I don't like it myself, it's good for ZeniMax and good for Bethesda. Maybe they'll take some of the money they make and release TES VI or Fallout 4? That can only be a good thing.

That's the truth, even if I don't end up enjoying the game, I hope it sells well so we have TES VI and Fallout. Mmm a new fallout would be nice.

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by NC-John what I don't understand is why video games peturb so many people so much? I see allot of anger for something that mainly consists of zero and ones and has no physical counterpart in reality other then data on a harddrive?! I can say I hate something about a video game and people will go bonkers like I just told them something nasty about their mom. At the end of the day if your invested in something enough emotionaly like a video game, and opposing viewpoints anger you to rage, then you may have to seek help. It's like getting mad at the wind and constanly walking around punching the air and calling a looser. it makes no sense what-so-ever. Strange world man.
    um... where to begin.

That's very Zen of you Sovrath :p

well, I do want to bring in da noyz while sending out da funk.

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

I never played DAoC, but I'm enjoying 3-way WvW in GW2 now.

However, it turns out having 3 factions doesn't necessarily make all problems of faction imbalance go away. If you end up pitting one strong server against 2 weak servers it'll look the same as an imbalanced 1v1. GW2 employs a rating system to pit servers of equal strengths against each other, but that also isn't solving the issue all the time.

ESO should be paying attention to what ANet is doing, even if it's just to see what works and what doesn't. But adding the RvR or WvW feature is a good idea anyway, because it will be exceptional fun for EOS players when it works, and it'll keep ANet on their toes to improve their WvW. :)

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc
    Originally posted by sapphen

it could have a lot of groups and houses battling and spying and conspiring all over tamriel.

Oh man that's what I was thinking.  The second era was never about order, there was civil wars as well as outside conflicts.  I'm fine with 3 groups fighting for control but it doesn't make sense for an entire race to join the cause in a world in which most people would've been out for themselves - even amidst Molag's reign.  There could've been rebellion groups inside the faction owned areas you could join.

I would think that for the center AvA that players would have to claim an alliance and recieve half points or actually join one of the 3 main factions for full rewards.  I don't mind faction membership being encouraged but forced is nonsense.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

How is it any different than being polarized on a political view?

Or more typical brand loyalties--"Who makes the best pickup truck?" is still good for fight just about anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon where beer is served on a Saturday night.

I do wish the hype and anti-hype trains didn't get in motion so early. The "home" topics become completely useless so very quickly.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272

Originally posted by Grunch
    I notice that the only people complaining have never played DAoC and do not realize the awesomeness that is about to be unleashed in 2013 called ESO. I have been waiting for a DAoC 3 Faction RvR game since the WoW Clone Wars began. This is going to be the MMO that will bring balance back to the force.

I suggest people try out DAoC to see how three faction gameplay works. I understand DAoC isn't what it used to be but you will get an idea.

If DaoC was so great, Why did it ultimately under preform in the end?

What end? DAoC is still up and running.

It was 2004, WoW came out and ruined mmos everywhere... what exactly do you mean?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Crazyhorsek

It was 2004, WoW came out and ruined mmos everywhere... what exactly do you mean?

Not to pick a fight; but the first game to rewind and retrofit with "classic servers" wasn't exactly a sign of positive fan support of development direction.

Anyway, water under the bridge.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

I notice that the only people complaining have never played DAoC and do not realize the awesomeness that is about to be unleashed in 2013 called ESO. I have been waiting for a DAoC 3 Faction RvR game since the WoW Clone Wars began. This is going to be the MMO that will bring balance back to the force.

I suggest people try out DAoC to see how three faction gameplay works. I understand DAoC isn't what it used to be but you will get an idea.

Yeah, underperform? The only MMO bigger than it for a while was EverQuest.

But why did DAoC start to die? Very simple, it was no longer DAoC. The devs totally changed the game with Trials of Atlantis and Catacombs expansions, so much so that they had to release classic servers. But by then EA was involved and most of the staff was working on WAR. Damage was done.

Current DAoC is barely anything like the DAoC everyone remembers. It's more like WoW than anything.

Originally posted by DavisFlight

But why did DAoC start to die? Very simple, it was no longer DAoC. The devs totally changed the game with Trials of Atlantis and Catacombs expansions, so much so that they had to release classic servers. But by then EA was involved and most of the staff was working on WAR. Damage was done.

Current DAoC is barely anything like the DAoC everyone remembers. It's more like WoW than anything.

I couldn't disagree with the last sentence more. It is not the DAoC it was when it first came out, this is true, because of the reasons you mentioned. But it is still nothing like the casual fart and gain 2 levels style that WoW is. It doesn't even play the same, it controls different looks different levels different and plays different.

Like I said, it's not the DAoC Mythic released, but it's not even close to WoW.

Originally posted by Crazyhorsek Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by Grunch I notice that the only people complaining have never played DAoC and do not realize the awesomeness that is about to be unleashed in 2013 called ESO. I have been waiting for a DAoC 3 Faction RvR game since the WoW Clone Wars began. This is going to be the MMO that will bring balance back to the force.     I suggest people try out DAoC to see how three faction gameplay works. I understand DAoC isn't what it used to be but you will get an idea.
    What end? DAoC is still up and running. It was 2004, WoW came out and ruined mmos everywhere... what exactly do you mean?

Why did they change the games direction?

ToA brought leveled items into the game that were BiS for a lot of slots. It caused a general uproar because DAoC players didnt want to PvE, they wanted to RvR. Catacombs caused balance issues as well. As far as the WoW comment, that is so far from how the game responds and plays I'm wondering if he has played it.

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Not to pick a fight; but the first game to rewind and retrofit with "classic servers" wasn't exactly a sign of positive fan support of development direction.

Anyway, water under the bridge.

Not a fight at all mate... like I said, in 2004 WoW came out and ruined mmos everywhere. If you remember, the birth of WoW plunged every mmo alive at that time to a 4 year dark age.

So yes... you're right. And even a little bit before with those cluster merges like merging all RP servers, all PvP servers etc...

That "classic server" idea was just as stupid back then as it is today's wow players asking for "vanilla servers".

But... and theres a bit BUT in my statement - the curious thing is that when I left the game the most populated servers were these "classics" you mentioned.

Right now I dont know... they have a completely different server setup from what I've seen checking the herald and we cant see the number of players playing in a particular server like we used to see... or maybe I just cant navegate in the camelot herald anymore hehehe... which is also possible  :)

EDIT: yes and DAoC was the first mmo trying to emulate the mighty wow, even way before server issues, starting with new "wowish looking icons for the abilities and all that crap... thank that one to the one and only, master of ruin, the opposite of midas where everything midas touched turned to gold - everything this man touches seem to turn to crap - Mr Mark "turncoat fuckup" Jacobs. Yes he still lives in the shadow of his DAoC success in 2000, like the mmorpg.com enterview showed - along with his arrogance and hubris, but he was also the one to make daoc bend to WoW first.

Originally posted by Nitth     But why did DAoC start to die? Very simple, it was no longer DAoC. The devs totally changed the game with Trials of Atlantis and Catacombs expansions, so much so that they had to release classic servers. But by then EA was involved and most of the staff was working on WAR. Damage was done. Current DAoC is barely anything like the DAoC everyone remembers. It's more like WoW than anything.  
    ToA brought leveled items into the game that were BiS for a lot of slots. It caused a general uproar because DAoC players didnt want to PvE, they wanted to RvR. Catacombs caused balance issues as well. As far as the WoW comment, that is so far from how the game responds and plays I'm wondering if he has played it.

What 'im getting at is from what you, and other posters have said..

Is that DAoC experienced 2-5 years of 'success' then through design changes and general lifespan of the game people left.

I can understand the graphics engine getting old.

I cant understand the change in games direction, Much the same thing i hear about swg. Why change an apparent winning formula if your player base is content?

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

I couldn't disagree with the last sentence more. It is not the DAoC it was when it first came out, this is true, because of the reasons you mentioned. But it is still nothing like the casual fart and gain 2 levels style that WoW is. It doesn't even play the same, it controls different looks different levels different and plays different.

Like I said, it's not the DAoC Mythic released, but it's not even close to WoW.

There are linear instanced dungeons. There's no more death penalty. You can hit 50 in a couple days. It's all quest grind based, rather than monster hunting and dungeon crawling. There's a GPS map now. All NPCs have floating markers telling you which ones to pay attention to.

It's been getting more and more like WoW every year.

But why did DAoC start to die? Very simple, it was no longer DAoC. The devs totally changed the game with Trials of Atlantis and Catacombs expansions, so much so that they had to release classic servers. But by then EA was involved and most of the staff was working on WAR. Damage was done. Current DAoC is barely anything like the DAoC everyone remembers. It's more like WoW than anything.  

What 'im getting at is from what you, and other posters have said..

Is that DAoC experienced 2-5 years of 'success' then through design changes and general lifespan of the game people left.

I can understand the graphics engine getting old.

I cant understand the change in games direction, Much the same thing i hear about swg. Why change an apparent winning formula if your player base is content?

Because companies used to take risks with these games, and they knew if they didn't release a new idea/content, the game would die even faster. Mythic had nuts, they didn't mind making changes to their game, and didn't mind admitting when they were wrong. ToA amounts to a failed experiment, honestly I enjoyed ToA, but most people did not. Companies just don't take those kind of risks anymore. It wasn't so much game changing as just new items and content people didn't care for.