Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And Wushu isn't P2Win?

Comments

• iamthekilleriamthekiller Member Posts: 93

So I installed and played for an hour last night...It's interesting but rather hard to enjoy thanks to alot of missing icons and untranslated things. I did notice that you can certainly advance your power way way faster by using the cash shop, I guess like the other guy that posted...I just don't care about the cash shop..if I like the game I am gonna play it..if I get killed b/c someone dropped a few hundred on the cash shop well good for them...hope it was worth it lol.

I would like to know if the missing icons are normal or just me?

EDIT - I would also add that the actual download and install process was a royal pain..first I dled the zip file and it wouldn't unzip...saying it was corrupted...after that I dled each file seperately and ran the install..it gave me an error and said to run the reapir function on the launcher...install contiuned and I did as it said..was greeted with a message that said "That function is not available at this time." Nevertheless the game launched and ran..I have to say I was almost turned off from the game just because of the really annoying install.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    as much as i like the game i have to recognize that if u spend money on cash shop(unbound silver) u have a HUGE chance to win.  the publisher is a shitty company. its a jewel in the hands of devil. also F2P kills it.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Biskop
    It's new, it's Asian, and it's more innovative than all recent Western games.

Of course people will hate it.

But most of the people bashing it just spread ill-informed bs and blatant misinformation ("it's ptw", "it's a Korean grinder", "combat sucks" etc), which is easily proven wrong by a simple fact check.

People trying to bash the actual features have a much harder time since that requires them to actually play and understand the game. And most people that make it past the tutorial seem to appreciate Wushu's uniqueness, even if they don't find it fun.

If people are spending cash like that on a game and people don't like it then it is not hate.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by ragz45

Was in Team Practice yesterday with the Guild leader of Goontang (goonsquad's wushu arm).  The multi gaming community of goonsquad is well known for it's less than ethical tactics in games, and I won't get into that here.  But while in the TP with him, a few of us got into the discussion of his guild and the fact that they were until recently very un-equiped and kind of newbish, yet were starting a lot of crap and making a lot of enemies.

He responded by telling us that a member of goontang, who happened to be an investment banker, droped 10K real life dollars on the game.  Converted that into unbound silver, and is using it to gear GoonTang to the tits & powerlevel thier divination.  I had wondered how the members of Goon had gone from wearing all wood gear to maxed out Silver gear in a matter of two days, and this definitly answers that question.

How is this not P2WIn?  It seems to be the pure definition of P2Win in my opinion.

P.S. he also said that the same member is considering buying one of the epic weapon skins for 9grand if they ever release them in the USA.

and you happen to believe whatever some randome internet dude tells you....

and just in case, you could have recorded the conversation and made it public on the game's forum for investigation. 

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by muthax
    Originally posted by rawfox
    Originally posted by muthax

But most of the people bashing it just spread ill-informed bs and blatant misinformation ("it's ptw", "it's a Korean grinder", "combat sucks" etc), which is easily proven wrong by a simple fact check.

People trying to bash the actual features have a much harder time since that requires them to actually play and understand the game. And most people that make it past the tutorial seem to appreciate Wushu's uniqueness, even if they don't find it fun.

The same can be said for other games (TSW or GW2 as two of the main targets). The FACTUAL critic is rare, it's mostly either a lie, deformed reality or simply opinion ("Wot? No trinity? This game is FAIL").  What I really want to know is why people do that? 

BTW it's good that AoW has a built in 'filter' and actually needs you to use your brain a little

I think we got to differ between the game and everything else.

In this case, AoW - the game - seems really good.

Everything else, greedy publisher, milking rules, P2W, all that seems to target on a special audience.

I don't know about the publisher or all this P2W stuff, but it's probably my fault: being over 40 I don't get all this kiddie drama that always surrounds titles with cash shops.... I just play games for fun

Everyone needs drama in their life or they get bored. Most people with a life outside of gaming get enough of it in their day to day. People who live in these games need to create their own.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by Kenshin_Himura
    I tried the game cause of miss leading information so I'm trying to clarify and give the right info. Some fanboys were spreading wrong rumors that's all.

lol

The only ones spreading rumours and misleading information are people who keep talking out of their rear ends about games they haven't even played enough to comment on in a qualified manner.

But hey, good luck with your little crusade. If it makes you feel better about yourself, more power to you.

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    I tried the game cause of miss leading information so I'm trying to clarify and give the right info. Some fanboys were spreading wrong rumors that's all.

Nah you are trolling because the game made you feel stoopid or because of  another silly reason, step down from your high horse. And sorry if we wasted a few hours of your precious (AH AH) time with our lies! Now you can go back to Pokemon full time...

• Kenshin_HimuraKenshin_Himura Member Posts: 75

lol

The only ones spreading rumours and misleading information are people who keep talking out of their rear ends about games they haven't even played enough to comment on in a qualified manner.

But hey, good luck with your little crusade. If it makes you feel better about yourself, more power to you.

There we go that's one of them. And look at his response too, rude to another fellow gamer cause of a game. I bet in real life he get stomped by everyone so he talks crap online.

lol

There we go that's one of them. And look at his response too, rude to another fellow gamer cause of a game. I bet in real life he get stomped by everyone so he talks crap online.

He is not being rude at all, but go on with your little past time, if it makes you feel better.

And don't project too much, sorta gives a way a lot of your real reasons :)

edit:aaah I get it:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/375584/Age-of-Wushu-is-not-Sandbox.html

so you are plannign a revenge for this? god help us

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

If something can be aquired in game, then that doesn't disqualify it from being P2W.    P2W is buying an advantage in the cash shop.     Being able to purchase something now and not having to grind x amount of hours is buying an advantage.  

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

I speak from the perspective of a person who bought the game for $20, and dumped another $30 to get a one time promotional deal.  I still have all of my cash shop gold, I have not converted 1 piece.

The, at this time, is pay to advance to a SMALL extent and FAR from P2W.  That is based on the current state of the cash shop, things might change going forward.

In response to the poster that said you can buy all of your skills and max them a few hours?  Yeah, that is technically true.  What is also true is that it would take literally hundreds of dollars to do so and I would catch up to your level in LESS THAN TWO WEEKS.  So yeah, it's possible - but it's unimagineably stupid.

Thus, I've not converted a cent in this game and I have a lvl 20 2nd inner and full silver gear with at least 2 buffs on each piece.  Some people are higher, many people are much lower.  I've not met a single person I can't beat due to their equipment and/or level.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    AoW is more or less P2W. As long as you can take a cash shop currency and turn it into unbound silver (which is the only currency that can be used to trade with other players) then it definitively falls into the P2W lot. However it's definitively not as bad as other MMOs that sells more powerful weapons, so I'm a bit torn on this. I'll probably keep playing a little and see how it goes (provided I can finally delete my character....48 hours period is ridiculous).
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Game is P2W even if it is a decent game. Don't sugar coat it. If you can buy the major currency in a cash shop, that is clearly P2W. Rabid Fanboys inbound I'm sure.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

I don't have a problem with people getting decent gear from real money. As long as I can obtain similar gear within a reasonable timeframe, it doesn't bother me. It's when there is no alternative to constant grinding or cash shop where I have a problem (looking at you GW2). As long as there are reasonable alternatives for gear acquisition and the game is enjoyable, I really don't care that much.

Does it suck? Yeah. Kinda. But it won't break the game for me personally as long as I don't have to grind my face off. At the end of the day though, it isn't something I enjoy seeing but I do understand why it exists.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

Let's be honest here, those of you complaining about the gold -> silver conversion rates, how long (if at all) have you played the game?

Like I said before, it's quite possible, and somewhat easy to get the following:

- Step Across Clouds

- Whirlwind Step

- Full Silver Gear (2-3 buffs each)

- Goose Step

- Step On High Ladder

That right there, will put you near the top of the pack.  Some differences come into play when we start talking about other school skills - some of which are RIDICULOUSLY highly priced (Emei block skill 5-6 ding).  Yeah you could drop the $150 - $180 to outright buy that but that is utterly insane.  All you'd have to do is go farm some scripts yourself, it's not hard.  Again, a matter of time not so much of winning.  You don't need those extra books to be powerful.  I'm a pure beggar - I do fine.

Instead of just seeing a function and throwing out your first reaction, actually take a look at the game and consider the total situation.  From a player that is effectively free ($20 for VIP), I do not feel like I'm at a significant disadvantage.

Think about it another way.  This also develops a hard floor on the price of silver -> gold and a soft, player driven ceiling.  Looking at how much it costs for the lowest tier of gold which is $3 for 10 gold (3.33 gold per $1 --> 33 liang).  Thus 1 gold will probably settle near or around 33 liang (say 10% arbitrage) so 37 liang.  The thing about this conversion rate is that it is going to prevent cash shop items from inflating to ridiculous levels, because you can always just go drop $3 for 10 gold.

There are also massive silver sinks in the game, for just about everything you do. I think the game economy is setup in a way to mitigate each factor being complained about here.

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Game is P2W even if it is a decent game. Don't sugar coat it. If you can buy the major currency in a cash shop, that is clearly P2W. Rabid Fanboys inbound I'm sure.

I guess it just depends on your definition of P2W

I always took the "if you can't get it in game with reasonable expectations but you can buy it in the cash shop and you need it to play the game (ie not a vanity outfit or pet or mount skin) then yes it is pay 2 win"

Some people think if a subscription gives you benifits it is pay 2 win...but I think this is stupid because of course a subscription gives you benifits...otherwise no one would buy the damn things. Charity case gamers be damned the game has to support itself somehow.

As far as currency, google any game and that games currency and you will get currency sellers. Your sig says you play Swtor

https://www.google.com/search?q=swtor+gold&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

it is simply not the case that because other games don't have it built in they don't have the feature. I know plenty of people who spent 5 bucks on WoW gold back in the day to buy up netherweave bags not to have to deal with inventory space problems. GW2 and Eve also have it built in and no one calls those titles pay 2 win even though they have the EXACT SAME FEATURE.

That being said, there is a very fine line with cash shops and pay2win...and if they start offering skills in the cash shop that you can not get in the game, I will just drop this title in the recycle bin and be done with it. Until then, stop bitching, I have spent 6 dollars in this game. 3 to test out the rate of "buying cultivation"...which was very slow...and 3 for a hat, because I wanted a hat.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I've decided that I'm going to spend 5-10$ a month after lauch. It's a great game, more worthy of my money than any game post WoW BC. I just have to figure out what to spend it on... 

Spending big gold on level 1 skills is rediculous when my own skills do 5 times the dmg. Spending on gear is just rediculous when I've seen good players beat geared bad players nude, more than once. 

I might buy some costumes or something, not sure. I'm going to support the title though.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by bcbully

I've decided that I'm going to spend 5-10$ a month after lauch. It's a great game, more worthy of my money than any game post WoW BC. I just have to figure out what to spend it on... 

Spending big gold on level 1 skills is rediculous when my own skills do 5 times the dmg. Spending on gear is just rediculous when I've seen good players beat geared bad players nude, more than once. 

I might buy some costumes or something, not sure. I'm going to support the title though.

I would wait until they have a gold sale since they seem to do one every 2 weeks or so. Buy Gold to get the bonuses and then just sit on it unless you want to do a purchase event. It seems that the gold to silver ratio is meant to be a sliding scale so maybe in a couple months from now you get 12-15 Silver per gold.

Sometimes an old man jumps out of the bushes and offers to sell me rare books so it's handy to have some emergency money on hand just in case.

They only item I have really bought that I wanted was the 30 day gathering books. Those come in handy since we have capped vigor. Pretty much made back what I paid for it in 1 day. Other than that if they offered more Teleport points I would pay for those too. Other than that the 9 bucks/30 gold a month for VIP is enough for me.

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292
    @Alamareth keep in mind its still CB, and 1h limit makes population small, in chinese version no one would event buy emei block, 3 months after they allowed everyone to play I got running on water for free, I have 3 running on water skill and 2 wall run in bank only to give some newbie as I cant sell them for 5L
    Originally posted by AresPL
    @Alamareth keep in mind its still CB, and 1h limit makes population small, in chinese version no one would event buy emei block, 3 months after they allowed everyone to play I got running on water for free, I have 3 running on water skill and 2 wall run in bank only to give some newbie as I cant sell them for 5L

What 1 hour limit?  They just gave away several thousand keys to remove that limitation.

Also, it should be blatantly obvious that prices lower as the items become more common.  Remember Jump Across the Clouds selling for 50L+?  Now you can barely give it away.

Point being, as I said in my post, there are some seriously irrational prices out there right now.  People can drop hundreds to buy those items, but it doesn't make it smart or worthwhile.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by botrytis

If people are spending cash like that on a game and people don't like it then it is not hate.

I and a couple friends put some decent time into this one before we quit the beta and while it may be a new game, and "Asian", it is not a new type of Asian game. It is the same old, if slightly slicker, Asian grinder with the standard cash shop (including P2W items) and slightly better crafting than usual. A few new twists, with the PKing side of things, but the novelty wears off. That said, the same old grind is there. As is the "absolute necessity" of using the cash shop or suffering greatly, as is common in most Asian grinders.
    Originally posted by Burntvet

I and a couple friends put some decent time into this one before we quit the beta and while it may be a new game, and "Asian", it is not a new type of Asian game. It is the same old, if slightly slicker, Asian grinder with the standard cash shop (including P2W items) and slightly better crafting than usual. A few new twists, with the PKing side of things, but the novelty wears off. That said, the same old grind is there. As is the "absolute necessity" of using the cash shop or suffering greatly, as is common in most Asian grinders.
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Yet another post that shows NO DETAILS.  Please, enlighten me - what's the grind and what's the absolutely necessary item in the item shop?  I'll just list everything I think you can pull out of your ass:

- Spying - I'll give you this one, I do 4 a day for the tokens - every day.  Grind?  Yeah, but at least it's not boring.  There are other ways of obtaining experience.

- Forbidden Instances - Capped at 7 per week.  I try to cap it out.  It is good for raising world reputation and items.  Grind?  Yeah, but equipment/rep grinding is nothing new and I don't foresee it going away in the near future.

- Team Practice - I do it every day to max out my cultivation.  It's a mini game, hence I don't consider it a grind.

- Shifu Challenge - You can choose to do it every day or wait until the end of the week and do a 12 rounder.  It's designed to max out your lifeskill experience.  You can choose this or crafting.  Not a grind.

- Daily Events - A choice for additional power, never the same experience.  Not a grind.

- Material Collection - An unholy grind for upgrades, but if you want the power - you must spend the time.  Is it ideal?  Nah, but it sure seems like a universal reality in any/all MMORPGs.

So, please - elaborate.

Originally posted by Aeonblades

By that logic, every game that has a RMT system (EVE,GW2,EQ now with Kronos, just to mention a few) is P2W.

If you need to vent at least try to elaborate a bit more than "I Say SO!"

• park97park97 Member UncommonPosts: 91

I loled this guy talking out of his ass. In nowdays it's cool for kids saying 'another asian grinder' even they don't have to learn or play the game.

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292
    @Alamareth You know its only for holidays right?