Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: Beta Weekends and Founders' Packs Detailed

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    They shit the bed on this one, im out.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Scammed.

They explicitly advertised Beta-Access in sense of non-limited-weekend-actually-meaningful-beta when they were selling the TL2 pre-orders.

I'd be pissed o/

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409

ever since I first discovered MMO's I've wanted one set in forgotten realms more than anything else.  When I heard they were making Neverwinter, but gave it to cryptic to do as a f2p game I was very disappointed, but the foundry and some other things I've seen since did give me hope.  It will never be the realms game I hoped for but it could still be something I'd enjoy.

After seeing this info, I won't be playing Neverwinter.  There's nothing inherantly wrong with it and it is fine with me if people want to drop $200 on a preorder, but its clearly going to go the same route as swtor.  I'm done with pricing structures and gambling packs with a thin game on top to cover them, I want great games at fair (or even high) prices or they can gtfo.

• brianw1brianw1 Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Yea it like Warfare $250 pack.
  • FrohheimFrohheim Member UncommonPosts: 11

Welcome to another chapter of "how can i milk the hypetrain until actual gamers can have an extended look at it and discover its crap like our other games". 

Its really sad to see how the Pre-Order Bonuses went from some items and a simple sign of dedication to a product to another form of "milk the gamer" - just on top of the usual Perfect World lock boxes and item shop... not to mention the selling of beta keys - which in all fairness have nothing to do with a real beta... just another commercial tool to get your money upfront. 

WOOHOO! Shiny new flat world.*

*irony included

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Arcona
    Originally posted by bigcheeseuk

Wow another P2β game

I'll pass thanks.

It is still free to play, you still get a chance to beta for free.

you going with the flow of stupid comments, or did you put in some thought?

I think you just followed the other Lemmings.

Your idea of free to play and the rest of us is world's different.  You will be very limited attempting to play it for free.  Before making snide remarks of someone's post you should know a little bit about your subject.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by bigcheeseuk

Wow another P2β game

I'll pass thanks.

It is still free to play, you still get a chance to beta for free.

you going with the flow of stupid comments, or did you put in some thought?

I think you just followed the other Lemmings.

Your idea of free to play and the rest of us is world's different.  You will be very limited attempting to play it for free.  Before making snide remarks of someone's post you should know a little bit about your subject.

how so?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Eladi
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Zebular
    Originally posted by Badgered86
    still haven't received my key from pre-ordering Torchlight II (from PWE directly, not from Steam) and their customer service hasn't gotten back to me.  This company really seems to suck.

Please continue to update your Support Ticket every day or every other day with your civil request for assistance.

Just to be sure though, you did get your Torchligt II key in your email, yes?  That very same email should have contained two codes, the first one was for the NWO CBT and the 2nd for T2.

They said the keys for the TL2 pre-order are coming before the betas so dont worry and chill.  Those keys only allow you into Beta weekend 3 so expect it the week prior to that.

Wrong, if he pre-ordered TorchLight II  then he should have had a mail whit a torchlight 2 key (obvious) but in that same mail is also the NWN-O  beta key, it gives access to all beta weekends AND the still to be anounced "normal" closed beta.

He should look in the General discussion / beta info thread sticky , theres info there what to do  incase he never got the mail but i find that very odd since torchlight 2 has be offical released for months now, would mean he missed that and /or never played the actual game he brought.

i never recieved my beta key either for the same purchase of TL2.. got my TL2 email but no NW beta key.. i sent perfectworld 4 support emails the first 3 over the course of a few months and each time they said keys will be given closer to beta.. just got my 4th email back today with my beta key

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Yay! More "come help us test our game and while you're at it, give us your money too" betas.

Why the fuck people put up with this crap I honestly don't know.

I don't kow either bu as long as there are people that are willing to pay to beta test, these companies will continue to do this type of thing.  It's a shame really, but that's just my opinion.

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370

pay to play a beta? lets see:

$285 to Star Citizen (gonna play pirate)

$500 to Citadel of Sorcery (Wife and I are founders on this one)

$200 for a proven title line isnt such a bad thing, only thing a player is taking risks on is the known situation of the developers lying to the players on planned content and then not following through.

I hope this doesnt happen with NWN but after the debacle over at COH and the lack of any real content  or upgrades in content for Klingons in STO from PWI/Cryptic the future looks Grim.

Honestly im no longer supporting any of the current games since they follow the same crap put out over the last 10 years or so. You want a real "new age" MMORPG keep watch on Citadel of Sorcery.. i have more faith in MMOMagic than any other dev for the Fantasy genre.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

PCGamer digital version still giving beta keys?

Yes starting with the 3rd Beta weekend.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Originally posted by azzamasin

PCGamer digital version still giving beta keys?

Yes starting with the 3rd Beta weekend.

Actually that looks to be changed:

UPDATE: Please note that this is not the final list and is a work-in-progress. We're still evaluating our Beta Weekend plans and making sure that everyone has a fair chance to join us in Neverwinter Beta. A more final and complete list will be available once our plans are finalized. Thank you for understanding.

Greetings! Here is information on who will get access to our three Beta Weekends. We'll be updating this thread often so check back here for the latest information:

Beta Weekend 1 - February 8-10:

• Hero of the North Founder's Pack purchasers
    • Guardian of Neverwinter purchasers
    Beta Weekend 2 - March 8-10
    • Torchlight 2 pre-orders
    • RaiderZ Elite Pack purchasers
    • Lifetime members of Champions Online and Star Trek Online.
    Beta Weekend 3 - March 22-24
    • Torchlight 2 pre-orders
    • RaiderZ Elite Pack purchasers
    • Lifetime members of Champions Online and Star Trek Online.
    Other Beta participants - Information to be revealed
    • PC Gamer promotional keys.
    • PAX / GenCon / Keys from game conventions and events.
    • Community Beta key giveaways through Facebook and Twitter.
    • Promotional Beta keys on partner sites.
    • And more!

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Leviathonlx
    I love how all these new games quickly put out these lifetime subs. It's such a obvious marketing ploy to try to hook people for a large sum of money when they barely know the game and may or may not get bored of the game or dislike it in a month.

Uh, its not a lifetime sub. Its just exclusive items. The game is F2P from the start.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Yay! More "come help us test our game and while you're at it, give us your money too" betas.

I'm not going to pay for a beta either, although my TL2 purchase does include beta access.  I do miss the older days with how testing worked, but things change don't they.

I don't get why you would get so worked up about something so insignificant?  You don't have to pay.  Some people obviously don't mind paying. Good for them.

Because as long as gamers are willing to pay full price for a product that is not even finished, much less polished, the devs have zero incentive to finish and polish their games.

Reason enough?

Originally posted by Latronus

I don't kow either bu as long as there are people that are willing to pay to beta test, these companies will continue to do this type of thing.  It's a shame really, but that's just my opinion.

At least one person here gets it. Kudos.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Vannor

All those people that argued with me about TL2 preorders getting into the closed from the start, guaranteed, can now kiss my a**. You should have read the fine print, I told you this was coming.

I hate this sneaky tactic being used by every gaming company to try and convince people to BUY a ftp game. Disgusting and makes all the other beta entry offers misleading and deceptive. Far too many people who bought other games to get into the beta will now buy these founder packs as well to get in earlier.. you think they are throwing you a bone and then they make you take two steps back unless you come up with more cash. Cryptic and PW should be ashamed of themselves.

If this is the way this game is heading in terms of greed and consumer relations then I don't wish them luck. They should be removed from the gaming scene altogether. It annoys me that I'll still be playing it, I just can't help it, but I'll promise right now, I am not spending a penny on this game.

You can still get in with TL2 beta key.  Did you make an assumption that by purchasing a key you would get front row seats at the beta table?  It just said you would get beta access and you will.  I don't really get people with your petulent griping. You're all "happy fan" one moment and when you don't get your pudding the way you wanted you're all torches and pitchforks the next.

I think you misread what I wrote. I was the one telling others, months ago, that they won't get front row seats because I read the fine print.. and they were disagreeing with me. I knew this was coming.  Just because I knew something was coming doesn't make it right.

The majority of people who got beta key promotions were under the impression it would be full entry and it should have been, that's how it came across. If you can't see the problem with what Crytic and PW have done here than you're either far too laid back or very naive.

Here's what they have done: Do this and get into beta.. oh, sorry, that won't get you in right away, now you need to do this to get into beta.

This 'full' preorder information and beta entry schedule should have been made available before every beta promotion was made available. Not the dates, but which stage beta offers got you into. That way fans could have made an informed decision about which promotion they wanted. What they did was make us an offer and then devalued that offer later, knowing full well that tons of people will end up purchasing both the preorder promotions and the founders packs, once they realised they had to.

There is no excuse or reasoning here. They have teams being paid to research and implement this exact thing. They knew exactly what they were doing and what the result would be... more cost to people who want to get into the beta, more money for them. They have exploited the flaws of their audience. Loads of MMOs are doing this now, I know that.. but it needs to stop.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • LanessarLanessar Member Posts: 87

The only issue I have with the Founder's packs is that based on their other game's cash shops, the items don't equal $549.00 in value. Based on CO and STO, the amount comes to $120 (approximately). If you "pad" it, it goes up to $150.

The CM states that you're not paying for beta access as part of the "value" portion. Simple question is: Does that mean it's a $200 value for a founder's title? Or $200 for VIP access to the Moonstone Mask? Because you're about $400 short on that "value" figure based on what you're charging for in the pack, even counting the "background" as a Freeform character slot for $50.

With the MWO Founder's, the items received could all be caculated out and it WAS worth more than the $120 paid for it. And still is. Whether you like the game or not, it didn't matter - buying the equivalent in-game WAS a visible value.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

But you are living under a rock since 2008. The world has changed a lot since the infinite loans from banks/publishers.

Kickstarter and Founder's packs are a good idea.

Originally posted by Lanessar

The only issue I have with the Founder's packs is that based on their other game's cash shops, the items don't equal $549.00 in value.

Did you factor in the 750.000 Astral Diamonds?

That's probably worth $200 alone.

• LanessarLanessar Member Posts: 87

The only issue I have with the Founder's packs is that based on their other game's cash shops, the items don't equal $549.00 in value.

Actually, between $37-43. Again, taking a page from STO and CO. While the market may be high at first, it's 180-200 "diamonds" = 1 zen, 1000 zen = $10

But you are living under a rock since 2008. The world has changed a lot since the infinite loans from banks/publishers.

Kickstarter is a good idea, when employed by a company or person who could not get his game funded otherwise. Cashing on a game that's both funded and almost ready beforehand is just greed.

I know what way the world is heading and it amazes me. Ever since most PC games have been distributed digitally I've been baffled with all the digital edition pre-orders, unless it comes with a reduced price.

But of course people are free to spend their money on whatever they wish. Just be prepared to be shafted sideways in every imaginable way as the devs learn how to lead ever more lambs to the slaughter.

Kickstarter is a good idea, when employed by a company or person who could not get his game funded otherwise. Cashing on a game that's both funded and almost ready beforehand is just greed.

I know what way the world is heading and it amazes me. Ever since most PC games have been distributed digitally I've been baffled with all the digital edition pre-orders, unless it comes with a reduced price.

But of course people are free to spend their money on whatever they wish. Just be prepared to be shafted sideways in every imaginable way as the devs learn how to lead ever more lambs to the slaughter.

Unless they make the whole crew go when the game is released, I dont see how it's greed to get funding for a almost finished MMO. Have you played MMOs? Their lifespan is many years, and the developers have to pump out content very fast.

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401

Actually, between $37-43. Again, taking a page from STO and CO. While the market may be high at first, it's 180-200 "diamonds" = 1 zen, 1000 zen = $10

Correct, it's right around 40 dollars if figured off the other cash shops. No reason to think it's any different until they state otherwise. To each their own, if people want pay ridiculous prices they can have it. I used the person that like all the perks, can still grab them if I want to , but I think I learned that all the little perks aren't worth the money to me.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    I'm really tempted to buy 60$ pack, because I really like the announced game features and "beta" opportunity. But on second thought, paying upfront for F2P game seems completely absurd. Anyone else feeling the same?