Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVE questions about LOTRO

danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

I would like to know a little more about the PVE in LOTRO.  First question is what are the size of the leveling instances?  Is there a LFG tool that one can use in LOTRO? The end game instances is it 1 set of instances or are their hardmodes that one needs to do to get geared up for raiding?  When it comes to raiding in LOTRO what are the raid sizes?  

Thank you

Comments

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 540

Wellcome to the world of Middle Earth :)

There are locations intended for group fighting, like Great Barrow. There are quests designed for group fighting (unless you are top-level tank).

There is "Instance finder" that lets you to form raid. if I am not mistaken, you get it since lvl.20.

No knowledge about end-game (lvl.85) instances. Maybe veterans would explained.

Raiding group may be as little as 3 persons...and maximum, I'm not sure, maybe some 12.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    OP...look at playing on Landroval server. It is an RP server that has an awesome community. I don't RP, but I always pick RP servers since they tend to be more mature.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by danwest58

I would like to know a little more about the PVE in LOTRO.  First question is what are the size of the leveling instances?  Is there a LFG tool that one can use in LOTRO? The end game instances is it 1 set of instances or are their hardmodes that one needs to do to get geared up for raiding?  When it comes to raiding in LOTRO what are the raid sizes?  

Thank you

Am I mistaken if I assume you're a "life starts at level cap, living by the raid-calendar" type of a player? :)

So, leveling instances, I think you mean skirmishes (average-sized, quick dailies, scaled to your level, give lots of xp and decent gear). They're available from lvl20, and I heard of players who levelled up only by skirmishes - although I think it must've been a real bore...

LFG - it's there, it ports you to the insta (yep, welcome to the new "standing in the lobby, porting in and out" world :) ), it even gives bonuses if you starts your insta from the tool and not by riding there and enter...

Endgame instas are the usual gear grinder with tier1 and tier2 mode (e.g. normal and hardmode).

Raids are 24-person (or 12 in some cases)

(Don't get me wrong, I love LotRO, just not it's endgame grind :) )

• ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104

Basically there are 3 types of instance you can access from the instance-finder.

Scalable - Where you can set the level you do it at.

Non-scalable - The level is set and you need to be that level.

Skirmishes - Which start at level 20 and can be done at any level after that and can be adjusted for difficulty and have 3 tiers.

These are the ones I have so far at level 65. There are more in Rohan.

Scalable Instances:

x9 - 3 man

x12 - 6 man

x4 - 12 man

x1 - 24 man

Non-scalable:

x6 - 3 man

x15 - 6 man

x5 - 12 man

Skirimishes:

x19

So, plenty to do if you just want to grind instances. Although a lot of instances are only accessible once you do a particular quests. Especially true in the case of the more interesting skirmishes in Moria and Dol Guldor.

The group finder lets you decide your role pretty much, it's almost the same as the one in Rift to be honest.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by Po_gg

Thank you

Am I mistaken if I assume you're a "life starts at level cap, living by the raid-calendar" type of a player? :)

So, leveling instances, I think you mean skirmishes (average-sized, quick dailies, scaled to your level, give lots of xp and decent gear). They're available from lvl20, and I heard of players who levelled up only by skirmishes - although I think it must've been a real bore...

LFG - it's there, it ports you to the insta (yep, welcome to the new "standing in the lobby, porting in and out" world :) ), it even gives bonuses if you starts your insta from the tool and not by riding there and enter...

Endgame instas are the usual gear grinder with tier1 and tier2 mode (e.g. normal and hardmode).

When you say the endgame grind tell me a little more about it.  I am personally getting tired of the endgame grind.  I hate hitting level cap then need to grind gear from normals to do experts, then experts to get into raiding.  I dont mind gearing for end game raiding just dont care to do 2 levels of it to get to end game.  If I get to level cap I want to be able to gather some crafted gear, some quest gear and some instance gear to be good enough to raid.  

Thank you

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by Thenextbigthing

Basically there are 3 types of instance you can access from the instance-finder.

Skirmishes - Which start at level 20 and can be done at any level after that and can be adjusted for difficulty and have 3 tiers.

Scalable Instances:

x9 - 3 man

x12 - 6 man

x4 - 12 man

x1 - 24 man

Non-scalable:

x6 - 3 man

x15 - 6 man

x5 - 12 man

Skirimishes:

x19

So, plenty to do if you just want to grind instances. Although a lot of instances are only accessible once you do a particular quests. Especially true in the case of the more interesting skirmishes in Moria and Dol Guldor.

The group finder lets you decide your role pretty much, it's almost the same as the one in Rift to be honest.

Now when you say scalable is it scalable based on the amount of people you have in it or is it scalable based on you select normal, hard, nightmare 

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

When you say the endgame grind tell me a little more about it.  I am personally getting tired of the endgame grind.  I hate hitting level cap then need to grind gear from normals to do experts, then experts to get into raiding.  I dont mind gearing for end game raiding just dont care to do 2 levels of it to get to end game.  If I get to level cap I want to be able to gather some crafted gear, some quest gear and some instance gear to be good enough to raid.  

Thank you

Sorry, then my mistake, from the "leveling instance" I thought that you want to get to lvl cap as fast as possible for some endgaming. Btw. I feel just the same about endgame grind :)

So, for the new questions: that's not exactly the way LotRO works luckily (as in grind tier1, then grind tier2, then raid). You can go into raids with the gear you have on level cap from quests, normal instances and craft. Of course there are elitist like any other game... but raids aren't locked behind grinded tier2 gear in LotRO. You'll have to be pretty good with your character though, and some good LI's can help as well, but raids are there for being a challenge anyways :)

For endgame crafted gear, I can't say much since I still haven't advanced to the new guild cap of Rohan, but in the past crafted gear was weaker then tier1 (normal) instance gear, so you'll probably need at least a few instance runs.

For the instance finder question, scalable by both numbers and difficulty, actually you can configure it pretty nicely. Here's the dev diary of it: http://archive.lotro.com/gameinfo/devdiaries/1822-update-6-developer-diary-instance-finder

Originally posted by Thenextbigthing

Scalable Instances:

x9 - 3 man

x12 - 6 man

x4 - 12 man

x1 - 24 man

Non-scalable:

x6 - 3 man

x15 - 6 man

x5 - 12 man

Skirimishes:

x19

Now when you say scalable is it scalable based on the amount of people you have in it or is it scalable based on you select normal, hard, nightmare 

Scalable based on your character's level. You type in the level you want to play it at, so you could theoretically play it at a higher level than you are, say a 25th level character playing a 30th level instance. Most are also tiered (especially the skirmishes) Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3. Tier 3 hardest and rewards are 150% I think, or thereabouts.

Originally posted by Po_gg

Thank you

Thank you

I have an 85th level character and I don't grind dungeons etc... One of the good things about lotro is the community and the RP and so at level cap there are still plenty of things to do at endgame. Of course like all mmos there are mots of instances and dungeons to do to grind gear etc... there is now also Hytbold which is an instanced town in Rohan you help rebuild using tokens gained doing dailies, and you get armour sets with the tokens as well.

Another thing you could do in lotro is go back and do all the reputation deeds and gain kindred with all the races and factions. Lotro also now has an item that allows you to freeze xp so you can do the deeds and rep stuff without worrying about out levelling the zones.

All in all, there is a lot more to do at endgame beyond dungeon grinding.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

I don't think it's possible to do 'everything' in LotRO. Level 85 is just the beginning and it takes 21 million or so SP. Leveling your legendary weaps, leveling your deeds to trait your slots, leveling your crafting guild. Just doing things for the sake of saying you did it.

I spent weeks in Lothlorien getting enough branches to make a full set of blue crit lothlorien armor. In order to refine a 100 stack of Skarn or Riddermark high quality, medium quality and low quality ingots you need 1400 of that ore and if you have a Weapon, metal and jeweler guilded character that's 2 and a half months worth of ore. The same system is used in wood and hides. As others have mentioned, rep leveling. Skirmish camps. Reflection pool marks.  The amount of PvE in this game is unprecidented.