Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SoE revamp F2P again

Looks like SoE is slowly learning that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. The new F2P model for Vanguard is looking a lot better than before:

http://www.vanguardthegame.com/free.vm

The only thing still remotely restrictive in there is the gear quality, which is fair enough I suppose, you won't need it until you reach 55 and by then you probably should be contributing to future development either with a sub or cash payments.

Lets hope they update EQ2 to this model as well and get some life back into it.

Comments

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    They need to get rid of the gear restrictions. I don't want to pay into a game because I have to, I want to pay into a game because I want to.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    They need to get rid of the gear restrictions. I don't want to pay into a game because I have to, I want to pay into a game because I want to.

Or, "I don't want to pay at all 'cause I'm cheap."

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by evilastro

Looks like SoE is slowly learning that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. The new F2P model for Vanguard is looking a lot better than before:

http://www.vanguardthegame.com/free.vm

The only thing still remotely restrictive in there is the gear quality, which is fair enough I suppose, you won't need it until you reach 55 and by then you probably should be contributing to future development either with a sub or cash payments.

Lets hope they update EQ2 to this model as well and get some life back into it.

looks like the execubots can be trained afterall.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Hmm nice one can have a second house now ? And up to 20 characters ? And 4 bags (I assume saddlebag and standard bag count separately) ? Not so shabby.
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Too little too late.

Would've liked to see Vanguard Truly Free years ago.

Originally posted by Aviggin

Yet I have spent more money in Guild Wars 2 than I ever would have if it had a monthly fee. I would have spent even more if there were more things in their cash shop that I wanted to buy. I like supporting games I enjoy playing. When they force me to spend money to experience their complete game, I simply avoid the game and they don't get my money.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Too little too late.

+1

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Yet I have spent more money in Guild Wars 2 than I ever would have if it had a monthly fee. I would have spent even more if there were more things in their cash shop that I wanted to buy.

Well, that's 'F2P' for you... But kudos for being honest about how the cash shop worked out for you. Most supporters usually pretend they don't spend a penny to enjoy the game in the fear of opening a chink in the armour of their argument.

Originally posted by Vesavius

Yet I have spent more money in Guild Wars 2 than I ever would have if it had a monthly fee. I would have spent even more if there were more things in their cash shop that I wanted to buy.

Well, that's 'F2P' for you... But kudos for being honest about how the cash shop worked out for you. Most supporters usually pretend they don't spend a penny to enjoy the game in the fear of opening a chink in the armour of their argument.

I even expanded upon what I said. My motivation behind spending money is that I like supporting the games I enjoy playing. I want games I play to succeed and for them to keep bringing me new content.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Yet I have spent more money in Guild Wars 2 than I ever would have if it had a monthly fee. I would have spent even more if there were more things in their cash shop that I wanted to buy. I like supporting games I enjoy playing. When they force me to spend money to experience their complete game, I simply avoid the game and they don't get my money.

I thought you had to pay $60 to play gw2? Im pretty sure you don't have to pay $60 to see most of the vg content.
  • BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Skuall
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Too little too late.

+1

fine with paying sub

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

thats an excellent f2p model..you could play this game for yrs and not spend a penny..wtg SOE.

p.s. anyone who thinks this is a bad model is a total cheapskate.

Originally posted by Mardukk

I thought you had to pay $60 to play gw2? Im pretty sure you don't have to pay $60 to see most of the vg content.

You have to pay a monthly fee to access the higher end gear. I refuse to be forced to pay a monthly fee to play the full game.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by kevjards

This is 2013... being a cheapskate, having others carry you, and contributing nothing to your chosen hobby is 'cool'.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

You have to pay a monthly fee to access the higher end gear. I refuse to be forced to pay a monthly fee to play the full game.

According to their FAQ you can unlock the high end gear with "Unlock Item" potions from their marketplace. So I can't see a need to pay a monthly fee if you don't want to. Maybe I miss something....

http://www.vanguardthegame.com/faq.vm

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

I even expanded upon what I said. My motivation behind spending money is that I like supporting the games I enjoy playing. I want games I play to succeed and for them to keep bringing me new content.

Thats nice and all, but its just you, and whike many others might do and feel the same, I'm betting the majority of the F2P players do not. There are many (if not the majority) that never spend a buck on GW2 after the box price.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

This is 2013... being a cheapskate, having others carry you, and contributing nothing to your chosen hobby is 'cool'.

well given that i,m subbed to the game..i applaud SOE for doing this..i want this game to keep going..lets face it.who would have believed on release of this game it would be still up and running 6 yrs later.and being a subber i have no probs with the f2p guys being there.and never have in any game i've played.the more community the better the game and more chance of the f2p guys investing in the game..everyone wins then.

Originally posted by Anthur

According to their FAQ you can unlock the high end gear with "Unlock Item" potions from their marketplace. So I can't see a need to pay a monthly fee if you don't want to. Maybe I miss something....

A little better, but if you have to unlock each individual item, that's treading down the path I don't like. Reminds me of having to buy manastone in Runes of Magic to have the best gear.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I dont know about GW2, but GW1 got my 50 bucks or so and after 3 days of playing, I was bored sick and never returned.

50 bucks for just 3 days of playing ? Now thats a damn good profit for them.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Anthur

You have to pay to get the potionbs, and you can figure on getting and outgrowing gear monthly evne if you play casually once a week. thys every month you will need to buy more unlock potions unless you are willing to play somewhat gimped.

• DirkinDirkin Member Posts: 78

You can play well past level 40 without having to worry much about the gear restrictions, and without being particularly gimped. You won't be able to use some of the gear, but it won't really affect your power much. If you intend to raid or anything like that at end game, I don't understand how you can complain much about having to pay a little.

Gear unlockers are 50 cents each.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Still can't use my gear on my characters because of rare or higher limitations. Played the game for a year before, SoE said they couldn't help me and I'm not about to shell them more money for this game as they already have over 200$ of it from before.

The other limitations are very gracious, but until they unlock items I already had from when I paid, and then paid more for 12 months, forget it. EQ1 deserves having a paid for membership. This game lacks enough meat to really have a need for gold membership.

Props to them for trying, looks great other than the gear locking!

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190

So if the whole game is free how do you expect the game to stay around? Companies do have to pay bills and employees.

GW2 isn't f2p its b2p.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

+1

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • xalisxalis Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Not to bad but since i bounce between EQ, EQ2, PS2 and VGSOH i just went with the all access pass for the year.