Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1000-1200$ Tower+Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse

GrubbsGradyGrubbsGrady Member UncommonPosts: 371

Looking for the best bang for buck in the $1200 MAX range. Would need everything as the person only has a laptop atm. Thanks =)

Comments

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Primary purpose of this PC?  Gaming, Photo and/or 3D rendering, number crunching, server, HTPC or just a general all purpose PC with no specific focus?
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Everything including monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers?
  • GrubbsGradyGrubbsGrady Member UncommonPosts: 371
    It would be for gaming 100%, and its actually just the Monitor and the Tower now. My friend just went ahead and picked up a mouse and keyboard on his own. Thanks :D
  • miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

Do you have a preference for form factor?  Most systems tend to fall into the "standard form factor" size in which the case size itself can vary quite a bit but typically falls into the mid range towers (typically use regular ATX motherboards) .  Then you have what I refer to as "large form factor" which normally falls into the full tower line (also usually uses regular ATX motherboards but some can support larger boards.  The above two will use the most standard hardware and can accomodate fairly massive amounts of it, typically overkill for the majority of PC owners tbh.  

After these you have the various small form factors of which the two most common are build around the Micro ATX or Mini ITX motherboards.  Micro ATX aren't that much smaller than standard ATX boards and can still provide many of the same functions to include Xfire/SLI setups.  Mini ITX on the otherhand is what I would call the barebones standard in that it typically only has 2 RAM slots and support for one video card.  But don't let that fool you as most systems will rarely ever utilize more than that.  While Micro ATX cases aren't that much smaller than the two aforemention standards they are a consideration.  Mini ITX on the otherhand can be quite a bit smaller with some cases often being referred to as "shoebox" cases due to the size resembling that of the title (Silverstone SG05/SG08 are the two most popular).

Given your stated budget I'll assume a more "standard form factor" will be most appropriate.

Given your budget this was just about the best I could come up with and still meet your needs.  There is obviously room for some personal preference but all in all this is a very solid build that is sure to provide you an excellent gaming experience for some time.  I'd also recommend you check the overall cost of just getting all those parts from Newegg.  Overall the cost shouldn't be that different and gives you the best chance of receiving all parts at relatively the same time.  Not mention if you get a lemon or two you can deal with one company instead of many.  The only exception I noticed was the monitor is priced at a fairly decent discount at the provider in the link as compared to other retailers (upwards of $40 less).

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Ap1t

Also keep in mind the prices listed according to PCpartpicker's price chart are the lowest they have been since the weekends leading up to and including Black Friday week so NOW is the time to buy.

EDIT:  Feel free to use a combination of what Quiz and I threw together but the one thing I would advise against is the HIS GPU.  They simple do not have the reputation other vendors have with regards to quality or customer service.  The rest is a matter of choice (of which I also prefer the Samsung SSD personally as they have a proven track record).

• GrubbsGradyGrubbsGrady Member UncommonPosts: 371
    Thanks you both very much! Ill update with my final price and parts, this is very helpful!
  • punchkipunchki Member Posts: 2

I went i5 2500k,

Radeon HD 6870

8GB of ram (Corsaid or Kingston IMO)

1TB HDD

600W psu

P8Z68 V-gen Asus MOBO

Coolmaster tower Mid size

Monitor: Dell or Acer 22-24 inch

******* DON'T BOTHER WITH A SUPER EXPENSIVE MOUSE AND KB *********

~~~~ Your total shoudl come to about $1000

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by punchki

I went i5 2500k,

Radeon HD 6870

8GB of ram (Corsaid or Kingston IMO)

1TB HDD

600W psu

P8Z68 V-gen Asus MOBO

Coolmaster tower Mid size

Monitor: Dell or Acer 22-24 inch

******* DON'T BOTHER WITH A SUPER EXPENSIVE MOUSE AND KB *********

~~~~ Your total shoudl come to about $1000

It's not 2011 anymore.  That might have made sense to buy new when you bought it, but not today.