Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

never played on line game...need advice

I have played most, if not all, the RPG games published in the past 10 years or so...as single player. I am very curious to try  playing on line.  I am looking for suggestions as  to what  to play. I have some  guidelines which may narrow the scope. I am not really interested in playing for a guild or a team, I want to be able to explore the world on my own, interact and  fight other people or creatures. Basically what I have been doing with single player but with other people populating the world. Any suggestions? Don't mind if it's free or pay.

Comments

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    You can play nearly any modern day MMORPG solo reasonably well.  Old school MMOs are typically less forgiving to solo players, but it's even possible to play solo in some of them.  Really just pick any MMO that might interest you and chances are it will allow for solo play at least up to a certain point.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by god7father
    I have played most, if not all, the RPG games published in the past 10 years or so...as single player. I am very curious to try  playing on line.  I am looking for suggestions as  to what  to play. I have some  guidelines which may narrow the scope. I am not really interested in playing for a guild or a team, I want to be able to explore the world on my own, interact and  fight other people or creatures. Basically what I have been doing with single player but with other people populating the world. Any suggestions? Don't mind if it's free or pay.

World of warcraft.

List some of your favorite rpgs, so we can narrow it down better.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

well, maybe mmo's aint your thing m8. But if you want the things you sayd i would highly recommend GW2, its is very soloable, it has a personal (instanced) story, you can go WvW, go crafting on your own or just wander around the world exploring (and gettting rewarded for it ).

Altough the difference between single player rpg and mmo's is that in a single player game you'l be in top gear when you max lvl but in online mmo's the grind for epic lewt just dtarts there.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,743
    What solo RPG's were your favourites and what parts of the gameplay did you enjoy the most?
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Preferences:

Type of activity:

1. I want lots of freedom to roam and adventure

2. I want game provided activity, but nothing long term

3. I want a long arc personal story that plays like a SP RPG

Art style:

1. Low fantasy (dark gritty realism)

2. High fantasy (large unrealistic)

3. Asian high fantasy (sword is as big as a car, flashy armor, mini-skirts)

Interaction with other players in game:

1. Minimal, mostly just seeing them

2. Moderate, some grouping, some soloing

3. Extensive, most activity needs a group

Cooperative / Competitive

1. Only cooperative, same team

2. Mixed, some cooperative some competitive (fighting other players)

3. Competitive, most of the activity in game is fighting other players

Opinion on pay for advantage:

1. Not interested in any game where cash determines performance.

2. Don't care.

3. Hell yes... I'll pay extra to win.

Progression:

1. It should take a very long time to reach maximum level

2. Not too long, not too short

3. I want max level in the matter of a few weeks of moderate play

Grind:

1. I'm okay with killing thousands of mobs over and over to gain level

2. Some grind is okay.

3. I want progression by doing tasks, not killing mobs over and over

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

World of Warcraft is definately the best bet for someone who wants to play solo 95% of time. Even if you 'never' group you will be able to outlevel some dungeons and stuff and explore them at your lesiure. You won't get any good rewards due to being higher level but you can still check them out.

GW2 is also a good option since you essentially work with other players often even though you arn't actually grouped with them.

.. and who knows, once you reach endgame you might feel like getting involved in more group activities.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • god7fathergod7father Member Posts: 2

I realize  I was a bit vague. I have really enjoyed playing the Elder scrolls , Dragon Age 1 & 2, Baldur's Gate and the Witcher series.

As for the questionnaire I like  freedom to roam and adventure, some game provided activity, but nothing long term and a long arc personal story that plays like a SP RPG. Not a fan of Asian High Fantasy and I would like some grouping, some soloing with some Mixed, some cooperative and some competitive (fighting other players). Not interested in any game where cash determines performance. I want progression by doing tasks, and not really interested in killing mobs over and over. My main issue with team play is that  I don't want to be at the whim of others  schedules, time zones etc to be able to play. Having said that I am intrigued about encountering other (human) characters and either befriending or killing them if needed LOL But mostly want to quest and fight creatures. I have been looking at Guild Wars 2 as a possibility.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Guild Wars 2 or TERA are probably good starter MMOs. If you want something more meaty go for Lord of the Rings Online, Age of Conan, or even EverQuest II for a classic MMORPG experience. Vindictus has the best combat but it comes at the cost of less exploration.

Don't go to World of Warcraft. The game itself treats you like you have the brains of a 5 year old. The community is worse than the bottom dregs of Xbox live. Toxic game.

• DeddpoolDeddpool Member UncommonPosts: 197
    I would suggest GW2 as well

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by god7father

As for the questionnaire I like  freedom to roam and adventure, some game provided activity, but nothing long term and a long arc personal story that plays like a SP RPG. Not a fan of Asian High Fantasy and I would like some grouping, some soloing with some Mixed, some cooperative and some competitive (fighting other players). Not interested in any game where cash determines performance. I want progression by doing tasks, and not really interested in killing mobs over and over. My main issue with team play is that  I don't want to be at the whim of others  schedules, time zones etc to be able to play.

Good information!  My response for suggestions is three.  Rift, GW2, and Lord of the Rings Online in that order.

My perception of these:  Rift is hungry for players and cranks out content and features additions at an amazing pace.  GW2 is solid but still in the process of resolving a few design issues, nothing game breaking.  LOTRO is mature in terms of development and nicely polished.  To my knowledge, all three are healthy in terms of gameplay and population.

I'd give honorable mentions to TERA and AOC.  TERA is one that I don't know much about the gameplay, but it certainly is eye candy and seems to have a decent reputation.  AOC is a bit of a disappointment in my eyes.  Fantastic looking game, with a great SP style starting area (wonderful storyline), a client that is more buggy than I care for, and mid-level zones that for me were beyond boring.

Somewhat remote honorable mention is Vanguard.  It's an MMORPG in classic styling, was pretty much dead for a while, but showing signs of life as a Free 2 Play conversion.  Not typical on today's standards, but depending on perspective that can be a good thing.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I would encourage you to try World of Warcraft. It is a great introductory MMO.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,743

The best long arc personnel stories I have ever seen in a MMO were in SWTOR. So I would reccomend that. If you prefer fantasy I would recommend AoC, but the problem there is the personnel story drys up too soon.

Having a personnel story, one that takes you through from level 1 to top is rare. Maybe others can suggest another such MMO's? WOW is not a bad start, but you may not like the graphics. GW2 is very in fashion but I would try something else first, of all the games mentioned it is the most recently released. While all the others have had time to add extra content which allways helps.