Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do today's gamer's even play MMO's for PVE anymore or is it all about ganking and pvp now?

Comments

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Biskop
    The whole premise of the thread is wrong. Practically all current AAA games are PvE centric, with PvP tacked on as a side dish.

But I guess the op think having 95% of the market catering to his tastes isn't enough.. .

Sorry if you missunderstood me on this thread is for your opinion on the subject not mine. Thankfuly the pole favors pve I am thankful for that.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Scottgun
    Originally posted by asmkm22

It's not gamers, it's the developers.  It's a whole lot easier and cheap to setup PVP as a major end-game attraction because you aren't having to constantly design new things like encounters and storylines.  You just build a map and people churn through the "content" over and over again.

It's kind of annoying how they use that as a crutch though.

I seem to recall there was a study that less than 20% of people who buy/sub a game get to the end-game content. If that is true, no wonder devs don't knock themselves out over end-game content.

I'd have to wonder if that data might be obsoleted for modern games with "rush to cap then raid or PVP" design.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192

PVE all the way for me. I may jump in pvp once in a while but it really doesn't float my boat.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Scottgun
    Originally posted by asmkm22

It's not gamers, it's the developers.  It's a whole lot easier and cheap to setup PVP as a major end-game attraction because you aren't having to constantly design new things like encounters and storylines.  You just build a map and people churn through the "content" over and over again.

It's kind of annoying how they use that as a crutch though.

I seem to recall there was a study that less than 20% of people who buy/sub a game get to the end-game content. If that is true, no wonder devs don't knock themselves out over end-game content.

How old was the study. In vanilla wow less than 5% of the population raided. Now it's probably closer to 60% because they made it easy and accessable. You also have to consider who they include in that population. People gone in the first month really should count when deciding what's best for their customers.

On topic I'm actually glad to see this poll is such a landslide. PvPers tend to be the most vocal of the populations in games but it's pretty clear they're not the majority. I don't think games shouldn't have pvp I enjoy it once in a while but I hope things like this make them think twice the next time they want to nerf a skill in pve because it's too op in pvp.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Isturi
    Originally posted by Biskop
    The whole premise of the thread is wrong. Practically all current AAA games are PvE centric, with PvP tacked on as a side dish.

But I guess the op think having 95% of the market catering to his tastes isn't enough.. .

Sorry if you missunderstood me on this thread is for your opinion on the subject not mine. Thankfuly the pole favors pve I am thankful for that.

56% PVE 

44% PVP

its reasonably close, 3 of your options were for those who wanted some PvP

Originally posted by sakinah

The problem isnt pvp..The problem to me is that today  its all about harassing/ganking/insulting/trolling/greifing...Back in the days ppl would congratulate each other on thier acomplishment.Today they just insult/troll you for every little thing you fail.(Dota/LoL/HoN anyone?) :p

I love pvp in mmo or in any game in general but i really dont like this trend of  "I FKIN OWND YOU BITCH!I FKED YOUR MOM LAST NIGHT!YEAH!!!".

I think its poisonus and is slowly transforming totaly decent players into trolls.

If anything i want more pvp in my mmos but i just dont like the kind of crowd that it brings haha.

oh so very true.

Originally posted by karmath

It seems that todays gamers are just for pvp and ganking anymore. It seems that lore and pve has taken a back seat with MMO gaming anymore. Do gamers of today even care about lore or pve or do they perfer to just get the game role a class and go out and try to gank someone for a cheap thrill? I get the impresion that DEV are catering most MMO games now to the pvp crowd.

Am I wrong?

Please name one AAA mmo that does not feature PvE as its main content.

You are right AAA MMO's are a safe bet for PVE and lore. Now the real questions will be how long have those AAA MMO's been out also what about the MMO's that are not AAA?

Originally posted by Loktofeit

It seems that todays gamers are just for pvp and ganking anymore. It seems that lore and pve has taken a back seat with MMO gaming anymore. Do gamers of today even care about lore or pve or do they perfer to just get the game role a class and go out and try to gank someone for a cheap thrill? I get the impresion that DEV are catering most MMO games now to the pvp crowd.

Am I wrong?

Very wrong. So wrong, that I am really curious what, if anything, your post was based on.

My own base for this post is that to me it seems that upcomming MMO's are more geard for PVP instead of PVE that is why I left the question open to as "Am I wrong?" And If I am wrong then so be it. No prob at all.

• AzaqinAzaqin Member UncommonPosts: 67

PvP, done right by a game, is a lot of fun. Ganking, on the other hand, is just a form of griefing, and hardly qualifies as "PvP."

I have honestly always been mystified by those players who derive their pleasure not from playing the game, but rather from ruining the game for others.

Originally posted by Drolkin

So pking someone is a cheap thrill but killing a boss in a raid is not a cheap thrill?

Am I getting this right?

Very good question. It seems as mention early in this thread that pve guild and raid runs seem to be more complicated with all the drama and the waiting for all players to get abord and the vent antics from many gm's or for that matter just grief from other players. As to cheap thrills in pvp one player killed or for this matter ganked anouther end of story.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    Originally posted by sakinah

The problem isnt pvp..The problem to me is that today  its all about harassing/ganking/insulting/trolling/greifing...Back in the days ppl would congratulate each other on thier acomplishment.Today they just insult/troll you for every little thing you fail.(Dota/LoL/HoN anyone?) :p

I love pvp in mmo or in any game in general but i really dont like this trend of  "I FKIN OWND YOU BITCH!I FKED YOUR MOM LAST NIGHT!YEAH!!!".

I think its poisonus and is slowly transforming totaly decent players into trolls.

If anything i want more pvp in my mmos but i just dont like the kind of crowd that it brings haha.

oh so very true.

I can agree with what sakinah said.  I cant speak for the MOBA's, but I know if you get beyond the casual hurdle, much of that attitude disappears.  Refine your skill to a point where you pass over the crest of the "skill" bell curve (.5 to 1.5 SD) and the crowd suddenly changes.

I can also understand that some just dont have the time for that either.

Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Also it's been my experience that most PvP exclusive players are terrible at PvE content in general. We have had to make several cuts from our guild of (mostly) PvP-centric players because they can't stay out of a red circle. So much for PvE takes no skill.

LOL so true.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Azaqin

PvP, done right by a game, is a lot of fun. Ganking, on the other hand, is just a form of griefing, and hardly qualifies as "PvP."

I have honestly always been mystified by those players who derive their pleasure not from playing the game, but rather from ruining the game for others.

Be careful now. Most of the players here who are proud claim themselves "PvPers" are just the sort who include ganking as PvP. Same people don't regard those who play e-sports and instanced PvP, even at high skill level, worthy of wearing the badge.

Me? I don't find ganking interesting. It is PvP, sadly you can't' take that away, but it is not proper PvP imo.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by Azaqin

Be careful now. Most of the players here who are proud claim themselves "PvPers" are just the sort who include ganking as PvP. Same people don't regard those who play e-sports and instanced PvP, even at high skill level, worthy of wearing the badge.

Me? I don't find ganking interesting. It is PvP, sadly you can't' take that away, but it is not proper PvP imo.

You are exactly right.

A high level character who goes out of his way to kill a much lower level character is not true pvp.  It is, however, openly admitting you dont have the skill required to hunt those of your same level.  Killing other players who are the same level as you while they pve, that is a great deal of fun and provides a sense of danger while leveling.

That being said, ganking has never really bothered me, I tend to laugh at them.  It is not a proper form of pvp, you are right, but I cant see myself advocating it not be allowed.....just severely punished.

• jakojakojakojako Member Posts: 332
    there are no mmo's geared towards ganking and pvp
  • BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    I hate PvP; it has nothing I need in a gmae.
    Originally posted by jakojako

Sevencore, dusk514 just to name a couple.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Well if this thread has a silver lining, it's that 44% of the people polled PVP. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by jakojako

Sevencore, dusk514 just to name a couple.

Gee, those are some popular MMOs...

dusk514 isn't even an MMO, it's a shooter with some persistency qualities

seriousy though, this thread is ridiculous.  The most popular MMOs are all heavily PvE oriented. 

• hraethhraeth Member UncommonPosts: 34
    I play MMOs almost exclusively for PvE.  I use them as a way to relax and the constant stress of getting ganked after a long day at work is not at all what I'm looking for in a game.  I do enjoy some arena style PvP now and then (I loved hutt-ball!) but prefer to keep the PvP chocolate out of my PvE peanut butter the rest of the time.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i play for PvE and 1v1 duels. I also like open world PvP casually but when the game design lets high level people go to low lvl area to gank lowbies then i regret having open world. I would be happier with open world pvp if you could unflag yourself at any time to avoid high level gankers. High level gankers are the only reason i play on PvE servers and sacrifice the little fun i would have in open world pvp. No big deal for me, though

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I don't care about PvP. I avoid it at all cost,  and I am not going to play any MMO which is PvP oriented. I have many friends who think the same, and I have many firends who enjoy it.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by Robokapp

eve is the only mmo i play and i'm Industry.

I pvp when alliance calls for it. I PvE when rats show up in my belt.

what am I ?

I like to build stuff...and to sell stuff. So I appreciate the important of people breaking their stuff and coming to me to buy more stuff.

Makes you a opportunist.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Robokapp

eve is the only mmo i play and i'm Industry.

I pvp when alliance calls for it. I PvE when rats show up in my belt.

what am I ?

I like to build stuff...and to sell stuff. So I appreciate the important of people breaking their stuff and coming to me to buy more stuff.

Makes you a opportunist.

Just the sort that excels in EVE. It's a shame that so precious few MMORPGs are incapable of satisfying both the PVErs and PVPrs in such brilliantly simple way.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• LeegOfChldrnLeegOfChldrn Member Posts: 364

Just like with any internet poll, it is hardly scientific.

I'd love to see some serious polling done though. Things like defining words and clarifying meaning, giving people unbiased options which are chosen based on personal preference.

For example, instead of saying an obviously unintelligent biased...

" I love the cheap thrill of ganking give me more" - 4.5%

You state the choice in a way that caters towards people who love the "cheap thrill of ganking". When phrased correctly, the 4.5% will rise dramatically. When phrased in such a bias way to paint it was idiocy or negative, obviously very few will vote this option. Those who do, like myself, most likely did so because it's the 'joke' option.

PvP and PvE or "Both" are entirely relative to the game mechanics. That is why this poll is fail.

Would love to see some professional polls though.