Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: All Aboard!

Comments

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

Mega-Server has me concerned, Rivalries was a staple of RvR, a daoc server had 1500 people spread across 3 realms, you knew everyone, friend or foe. A mega server will diminish guilds and individuals making everyone just a voice in the crowd.

Phasing has me very concerned, I don’t like all these artificial systems in place that compromise immersion.

Too much solo play has me extremely concerned.

I’m for more skeptical than hyped, that's for damn sure.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• I am a skeptic at heart and a long time Elder Scrolls gamer. Skeptic in the sense that, I try to take marketing at face value and stay optimistic but realistic. Marketing as a whole, is an operation sometimes completely disconnected from the developer's keystroke.  Its not inherently evil, but merely misguided(in select cases).  Cynicism has a way of polluting the mind and causing lofty expectations.  I expect a small amount of bugs and I also expect companies in this day and age to work their hardest to fix those issues.  I'm not an enabler but I'm also not a malignerer.
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    After years of let downs, my approach to every MMO is now: "at best this may be worth buying and playing for a few months." It would be nice to be pleasantly surprised to find a game that is fun beyond that, but I don't buy MMOs expecting that anymore. This is even easier with ESO because I haven't played the other games in the series so it's not an IP I've been waiting for an MMO for years.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    I'm not hyped! It's just the way I'm siting.........ummmmm?..........I have only ever been hyped for two mmo's Tor and War. 'Nuf said about those.  Initialy when reading about this game, who was working on it and that it was going to be three faction I felt the old familiar stirings, but I am def cooling my jets this time.  Going to be avidly reading any new information though as it comes.
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    It was the same with Star Wars- huge fanbase and huge dissapointment-expecting the same here.
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

>"We’ve seen this all play out time and again over the years, and this sort of thing isn’t exclusive to the MMO genre by any means. However, the impact of over-hyped MMO failures tends to leave shockwaves for years in its wake."

Agree, so why the CGI trailers again? It's like a mmorpg attempting to market as a movie. What does that say about the gameplay?

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389
    SWTOR was the last game I'll make an ass out of myself over to the point of my friends telling me to shut up already. It's also the last game I'll pay $150 for without actually playing it first.

No bitchers.

• LeahcimTsewLeahcimTsew Member Posts: 1
    Never played an MMO before but have spent way to many hours playing the ES series. I'd like to play a MMORPG that is similar to what ESO will be before ESO comes out so I can go into it having some clue what I'm doing. Any Suggestions?
  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Originally posted by exile01
    It was the same with Star Wars- huge fanbase and huge dissapointment-expecting the same here.

I casually followed SW:TOR and realized very quickly after I got into beta that I would not be buying it. TESO will get the same treatment, I'll decide on it once I play it.

Hype means nothing, and I won't get excited over a game I have yet to play.

• sbrite10sbrite10 Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Originally posted by FromHell

I think this will be a very solid title. Looking forward to the beta :)

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I have concerns about this megaserver thing and phased story lines (please don't over do them and make it like swtor)

But I'm looking forwards to trying out the beta and making my own mind up.

Errm, "don´t overdo it like SWTOR" ?

SWTOR neither has single server tech like TSW and TESO, nor does anything you do affect your gameworld by phasing.

By reading the bullet points, TESO will be far, far ahead of SWTOR in all departments.

SWTOR is phased to hell and back, thats what all them little red doors you cant enter are.

Uh no.Thats not phasing.Those are instances and theres nothing wrong with that system in SWTOR.Phasing is a totally different animal.GW2 has phasing.Its all about a bunch of mini servers that make up one big server and how you can get put into different servers based on population and where your friends and guildies are.Do a little research and youll see what it really is.

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570

I heard it was going to be like the love child left overs from an MMO orgy that included all the big name MMO's and their best parts. 

Picture that! 

Not so nice guy!

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570

Oh wait, new catch phrase....

Stick that in your hype pipe and smoke it!

Not so nice guy!

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Originally posted by LeahcimTsew
    Never played an MMO before but have spent way to many hours playing the ES series. I'd like to play a MMORPG that is similar to what ESO will be before ESO comes out so I can go into it having some clue what I'm doing. Any Suggestions?

I havnt played it personally, But apparently Darkfall Unholy Wars would be the closest thing.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    It's a game, if it fails to hold your interest walk away. Also...Never assume because firor worked on Dark Age of Camelot it's going to be just like it. Vogel worked on SWG and we see how SWTOR worked out, and  It didn't have one thing from SWG and the guy and 4 others devs worked on SWG.

If people enjoy the game i'm happy for them, my skeptical disbelief is my own.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    The more I watch the video the more I think they are showing the 3 factions going after something.. That archway at the end of the video could be a portal.. ( they have mentioned having a Darkness Falls type of dungeon in ESO ) to a daedric realm perhaps..?
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

I won't bother with it. When TESO was first announced I was very excited at the idea, but then the developers started opening their mouths and all that excitement turned into worries.

Sign-ups for Beta were recently announced so I decided I'd at least try to give the game a fair chance before putting it aside (provided that I was accepted) but then the sign-up page caused an error at the end. I've just stop bothering with it. My expectations were already pretty low with TESO, I highly doubt the game will manage to impress me or provide a TES-like experience to begin with, so I'll just sit out and wait for AA or something along those lines.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Oh look: another blatant, paid-for, hype article at MMORPG.com! No effin thanks. Remember TOR much?
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

God people who get upset about other people hyping is asanine.  It's our business if we choose to hype something.  Really pisses me off when people act like others are not entitled to their own wants/needs/wishes.

and in before someone says: "People who get upset over people getting upset about others hyping". 

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by azzamasin

God people who get upset about other people hyping is asanine.  It's our business if we choose to hype something.  Really pisses me off when people act like others are not entitled to their own wants/needs/wishes.

and in before someone says: "People who get upset over people getting upset about others hyping". 

Naw, its more we get to put up with the retarded hyping in the first place, then all of the even more retarded crying about how the devs lied to you, and this sucks, blah blah blah. I know its just so hard to be reasonable on the internet, but it would be nice if just a tiny sliver of effort were made.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676
    Im sure it will be a descent game again so who realy cares about them.They are going to loose  money not me
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

People on here need to learn to differentiate between people who show an interest in a new product and rabid fanboys. Anyone who likes any game that you don't is apparently a fanboy, although I guess that is an easy way to dismiss a point of view you don't like.

There is nothing unhealthy with having anticipation for a new release, as long as it is tempered with knowledge and a decent dose of skepticism. But lets not try to turn this place into a cesspool of pessimisim shall we? Just because a new release doesn't suit your own wants or desires, doesn't make it a failure or the end of the world.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

People need to ask themselves on simple question before buying into this...

'Would I be as excited if it wasn't for the TES brand?'

Personally, I do not see this as a TES game (despite it's skin), and it all looks so derivative and unambitious when looked at as a stand alone MMORPG, so I will be on the platform waving the hype train off on this one.

• desirieldesiriel Member Posts: 98

I'm not seeing so much of a "hype train" about TESO. There is a dedicated and legitimate base of interested and "hyped" people and as a vocal and critical (and legitimate) base of people annoyed at the use of an Elder Scroll skill for just another generical and otherwise unimpressive MMO. In the middle a lot of players who are waiting to see the meat under the smoke. We've all been burnt too many times to buy the CG trailers and blindly-positive reviews by the press without a second thought.

If anything TESO is the first MMO getting the first real counter-hype and maybe this is a positive evolution both for the industry and players alike. Consumers are getting more mature and demanding and are wary of last years' practices by the SHs.

Hope that TESO will be the great game we're getting promised but this time my guard is up.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Recently I was thinking how this game is following the same scheme of building unsubstantiated hype by releasing fluff updates with no gameplay or any other relevant game features, in the same manner that SWTOR did. And it got me worried.

After checking Michael's old SWTOR article, i see that even SWTOR, year and a half before launch, released much more gameplay related info than TESO did so far. Just sayin'.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Teso had taken a back seat to Neverwinter but welcome back to the front thanks to neverwinter price tactics of pay then pay before you try, then pay to win. Please do not do anything like that teso. Your cinematics are sweet , keep them coming and let's hope the game is great as well.