Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] URDEAD Online: Introducing URDead Online

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by raysie
    Saturated zombie mmo market ?? Name me one zombie mmo apart from the war z that is released mybe I missed it but I am looking forward to a good one .

Pretty much every MMO ever has some form of zombies in it. There is no need to make a new game based around a common monster found in every game, especially if we just went through the zombie fad back in 2003-2006. It's played out, find a new idea.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• nightscarnightscar Member Posts: 31

I donno how I feel about this.. seams like a good idea.

but tab targeting???

how are you not supost to get bit if all you do is stand in one place and spam your hotbar...

i'll keep a weathered eye on this one, but not exspecting to much.

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

Devs, toss me an invite to the testing. 

I read the interview, and it is basically a MMO ability bar combat system, but with some interesting mechanics.

I am interested in this.  Only because it is A. Free to Play (because of the limited promised content initially) and B. It really does sound interesting.

Two thumbs up with anticipation.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Each of these 'horror' or 'survival' games we've been seeing lately seem like little more than a standard FPS with looting.  Above that, the ones that have some meat and deeper gameplay to them seem to take the leap to 'post-apocalyptic' (ex: Fallen Earth)

I'd really like to see a horror or survival game in the form of a graphical version of Die2Nite or some other form where the gameplay is more politics and player interaction, with the undead/zombies more of a MacGuffin than central gameplay.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Sounds good on paper, but we'll see. Right now the only zombie game I'm actually looking forward to is State of Decay.
  • derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Cool....Another post apocalypytic/zombie game. Great. The market isn't saturated with this garbage already. Catch up already, no real gamer has played a zombie game since left 4 dead, and even then, zombies were pretty played out. For the love of all that is holy someone get a new idea!

Excuse me? Don't flatter yourself. The market needs GOOD zombie games, instead of all the crap thrown at it.

Sadly...This doesn't look to be the zombie MMO savior either. Hopefully undead labs does zombies some real justice.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by derek39
    Cool....Another post apocalypytic/zombie game. Great. The market isn't saturated with this garbage already. Catch up already, no real gamer has played a zombie game since left 4 dead, and even then, zombies were pretty played out. For the love of all that is holy someone get a new idea!

Excuse me? Don't flatter yourself. The market needs GOOD zombie games, instead of all the crap thrown at it.

Sadly...This doesn't look to be the zombie MMO savior either. Hopefully undead labs does zombies some real justice.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I was just pointing out that myself, and most of the people I know, were tired of zombie games years ago. There is a reason this fad died. Let's not regurgitate the same story again.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by raysie
    Saturated zombie mmo market ?? Name me one zombie mmo apart from the war z that is released mybe I missed it but I am looking forward to a good one .

since you asked

http://www.deadfrontier.com/

also ahve some browser kind to booth, plus all other games, zombies are kinda tiresome now, and don't forget other games also always have a zone or 2 only for undead...

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • KamielRKamielR Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Sounds a little like state of decay
  • HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

And heeeere we go again.... a clone clones the clone clones the clone.

Where is Intuition these days? Bring something new, I cant stand this junk anymore. We all want something refreshing!

• Sauteed_OnionSauteed_Onion Member Posts: 33

dubyadubyadubya.zomebiesweregettingoldinresidentevil2.com At least that's how I felt about it them long lonely nights ago. Now we got Left for Dead, Zombie "Maps" for -insert nameless/souless fps here-, Zombie Apocalypse survival guides, zombie apps on iwhatever, dumb ass tv shows people actually watch about zombies, hell, even Dog News netwo.. I mean Fox News had a segment on what to do in the event of a Zombie Apocalypse. This genre is actually older than any meme on the internet, because it was floundering out of cool ideas when it was still making zombie flicks in the 80's. And then it went on to make video games ( the most of which are usually filled with o.m.g. I can't believe the VO's actually left the recording studio) . Zombie Culture is good in a Tommy Wiseau's The Room is considered good way. It's naht. Sheesh. Bad idea is bad. Carry on.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    The name alone makes me want to never touch this game. Ever.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

game on paper sounds interesting. im not a fan of hotbar attacks though reminds me of the crappy asian grinders i used to play which all suffered the typical macro systems as attacks 1-5 were all set in a dps chain. 

nice they are added playable zombies. though unless they hogtie the player zombies im iffy on how that will play out. iv played enough hl1/2 mods with zombie players and its always slightly annoying when a zombie will creep and crawl in a vent and try and ninja you from behind.. as typically zombies dont think that way. 

i wont hold out hope on this game though to high extend simply do to the fact like most people im personally sick of the half finished game lauches. (oh heres 10% of the game for 64.99 please keep paying us money and maybe we will give you another 1% in 3 months that isnt 100% broken or unplayable)

• ZereiZerei Member UncommonPosts: 24
    its interesting... wish it could be a 3rd person shooter though...
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

"Lately we’ve been playing with some cool Undead character customization options and PvP mechanics that we hope will make UDO a lot more interesting than a typical zombie shoot ‘em up."

This will arrive in the URDEAD: Y U PK ME? expansion.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Just-The-FactsJust-The-Facts Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Originally posted by derek39

I'm sorry you feel that way. I was just pointing out that myself, and most of the people I know, were tired of zombie games years ago. There is a reason this fad died. Let's not regurgitate the same story again.

So since you and your buddies became bored of zombie games that must mean the rest of the world has too? And what fad? Zombie lore has been apart of countless cultures since the dawn of civilization. The world is bigger than your backyard, hate to break it to you.

Derek39 has it right the genre desperately needs to have some quality interjected into it since all we have right now is quantity and a whole lot of it. This title certainly did peak my interest with a few innovative features for multiplayer like the infection chance (brings me back to my days of playing Zombie Panic Source). I won't go so far as to make a judgement call on the success or failure of the title because its still being DEVELOPED and like a sane person I realize I can't predict the future.

Or I could jump on the "hate band-wagon" like most of you and crap all over every new title announced; then I could complain about how monthly subs, B2P, F2P, PVP, PVE, RvR, NPC's, PC's, stats, quests, leveling, item drops, cash shops, dungeons, raiding, party systems, auction houses, zombies, elves, robots, ninjas, nazis and life in general is played out and we need something new...The only thing gaming needs is a new customer base because its current population is rife with spoiled brats who want everything but aren't ever happy with anything.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    URDEAD? Hah, I had a good chuckle

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Hopefully this will not be yet another griefer and hacker paradise with a zombie theme, likeDayZ and WarZ are right now.
  • DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Zombie MMOs are sort of a hot topic these days, and lots of companies seem to want in on the action. Today, we're presenting a novel take on the genre, URDead Online. Being billed as a "small scale online role-playing horror game" or SSORPHG, URDead has quite a few interesting design ideas that seek to set it apart from the throng of zombie shooters out there.

URDEAD Online (UDO) is something we’re half-jokingly calling a SMORPHS: Small-Scale Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Horror Survival (the “Game” is silent.) As our tidy acronym implies, UDO won’t release with the scale of bigger MMOs. We just don’t have the manpower to create dozens of areas; instead, we’ll release new areas as we polish them and feel they are ready for players to be eaten in. Second, UDO is a survival game.  When out in the world, players will want to stay aware of their character. They’ll need to eat and drink whatever they can find to stay effective, scouring for weapons, ammo, crafting materials, and other necessities – while fighting to stay alive. Banding together will have big advantages in certain situations.

Read the rest of our Interview with URDead Online's Greg Breault.

Yawn. At least War Z created something worth cloning. Seriously though, why is "you are" hard to spell? Why perpetuate the degradation of the English language? I mean, we already have rap for that. We don't need games to do that as well.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by Destai

Zombie MMOs are sort of a hot topic these days, and lots of companies seem to want in on the action. Today, we're presenting a novel take on the genre, URDead Online. Being billed as a "small scale online role-playing horror game" or SSORPHG, URDead has quite a few interesting design ideas that seek to set it apart from the throng of zombie shooters out there.

URDEAD Online (UDO) is something we’re half-jokingly calling a SMORPHS: Small-Scale Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Horror Survival (the “Game” is silent.) As our tidy acronym implies, UDO won’t release with the scale of bigger MMOs. We just don’t have the manpower to create dozens of areas; instead, we’ll release new areas as we polish them and feel they are ready for players to be eaten in. Second, UDO is a survival game.  When out in the world, players will want to stay aware of their character. They’ll need to eat and drink whatever they can find to stay effective, scouring for weapons, ammo, crafting materials, and other necessities – while fighting to stay alive. Banding together will have big advantages in certain situations.

Yawn. At least War Z created something worth cloning. Seriously though, why is "you are" hard to spell? Why perpetuate the degradation of the English language? I mean, we already have rap for that. We don't need games to do that as well.

Because they have to.

http://www.wral.com/nc-schools-write-off-cursive-instruction/12035402/

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • MsFitMsFit Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Another zombie mmo that will never work. I would love to see a true survival mmo, unfortunately developers just don't get it; open pvp in a zombie setting (or a sandbox setting for that matter) doesn't work. Hasn't worked since UO, but for some reason they keep trying. *sigh*
  • ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354

The War Z was the clone.  It was ripping off DayZ.

Glad I could clear that up for you.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Even the lettering is unoriginal. With that said I will reserve judgement till I play it if I do. You never know...

• FishmittsFishmitts Member CommonPosts: 227
    Originally posted by Zyzra

The War Z was the clone.  It was ripping off DayZ.

Glad I could clear that up for you.

That, and English just might be his or her second language. No reason to be a tool. Ohh wait, you proly play WarZ.

• FishmittsFishmitts Member CommonPosts: 227
    I at least give them credit for not calling the game, " DaywarZ"..