Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[poll] PVP integration into a themepark

KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Let's assume that instanced PVP battlegrounds and arenas are off the table.  Also assume that PVP must be avoidable for PVE'ers.

That leaves a few options.

Note: "working best" means working best so that PVEers, PVPers and those who like both are satisfied with the design.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Comments

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Seperate Pve and Pvp realms with appropriate ruleset.

PvP realm with 3 way faction pvp.  PvP can occur anywhere except for a handful of safe zones (cities).  Then add in instanced battlegrounds or TDM.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Maephisto

Seperate Pve and Pvp realms with appropriate ruleset.

PvP realm with 3 way faction pvp.  PvP can occur anywhere except for a handful of safe zones (cities).  Then add in instanced battlegrounds or TDM.

I don't know the term TDM.  DOH... team death match.  Sorry, brain fart.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    separate not only realms, but also make separate effects for each spell/skill/weapon in pvp and pve, so that balancing one side doesnt affect the other.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I would like to see areas where there is no PvP but random PvE death events, rockfalls, overpowered lion ambush etc. give people the thrill of PvP and spare us the cries of "Gank"
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    The Repopulation is sort of sandboxy, but it does 3-factions with another rogue faction or some sort that are related to the NPCs and quests/aka missions you do. I think that's a fairly good solution. But as said, it's sort of sandboxy, although it does have themepark elements from the little I have seen? Either way it's a reasonable method!
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Flagged PvP ala SWG.  As long as PVE and PVP are protected from each other, I'm all for open world.
  • maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I realize I'm out on the extreme end of the PvP-aversion bell curve, but ideally I'd like the PvP to be in a completely seperate game from the one I'm playing. 

The only thing that PvP adds to my game is news: it's drama and it is entertaining to read about the tides of war.  But I've never encountered a game where I felt that having PvPers on my server made the game a more enjoyable experience.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    Originally posted by maplestone

I realize I'm out on the extreme end of the PvP-aversion bell curve, but ideally I'd like the PvP to be in a completely seperate game from the one I'm playing. 

The only thing that PvP adds to my game is news: it's drama and it is entertaining to read about the tides of war.  But I've never encountered a game where I felt that having PvPers on my server made the game a more enjoyable experience.

A nemesis appears.........

just kidding.....image

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Why do you want to take arenas and battlegrounds off the table?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    If the game has a ttraced a community with a large percentage of players who are bad at pvp and take dying to the heart, and who would rather not do it instead of L2play, then a pvp server is a must.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Honestly, if  you must have PvP, then somewhere separate and well marked so I know never to go there is fine with me.  I want to have the option of completely and totally opting out of PvP and never having to deal with it in any way.  You want to beat on each other?  Knock yourselves out.  Just do it away from me.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

Originally posted by Ortwig
    Flagged PvP ala SWG.  As long as PVE and PVP are protected from each other, I'm all for open world.

My problem with that is even if you have your PvP flag off, you get asstards coming up to you all the time going "wanna fight?"

I don't want that at all.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more

Originally posted by Cephus404

My problem with that is even if you have your PvP flag off, you get asstards coming up to you all the time going "wanna fight?"

The one that gets me are the ones who inspect you to see if you have good gear before asking to duel.  That is so tacky.

• ThaneSolusThaneSolus Member Posts: 32
    Best PVP in a themepark were in Lineage II and DAOC.  
    Originally posted by XAPGames

The one that gets me are the ones who inspect you to see if you have good gear before asking to duel.  That is so tacky.

Of course, they only want to win so they only fight people they can beat.

Originally posted by ThaneSolus
    Best PVP in a themepark were in Lineage II and DAOC.  

I've read about DAOC's system.

How is PVP setup in L2?  Not one I know much about.

Originally posted by Quirhid
    Why do you want to take arenas and battlegrounds off the table?

Three reasons:

1. They've become the de facto standard for PVP in themeparks.

2. I'm using no instancing for market positioning.  Including instanced BGs would water that down.

3. The software I'm working with is very limited.  I have enough that I could setup dynamic instance loading on the fly, but nothing exists to do queing or scheduling.

So I'm looking at alternatives.

• General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    I would like to see areas where there is no PvP but random PvE death events, rockfalls, overpowered lion ambush etc. give people the thrill of PvP and spare us the cries of "Gank"

Zod would also like to see the done.

• BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373

No one thinking outside the box here??? Here's an idea...

What about dividing the game world into a dozen different nations that are run by the players... Allow these nations to declare war on each other, make peace, have alliances, etc. Have control points scattered around the map for the PvP'ers to fight over, and have a few control points in each city (ex: town hall, main gate, bridge)

PvP Players: Players who tag themselves for war can fight for their nation, can capture and hold control points to make their nation gain territory. They can't attack players from their own nation, can't attack players from a nation they aren't at war with, and can't attack any players/NPCs who aren't tagged for war (Civilians / PvE'ers). If a player's country currently isn't at war, players can go mercenary for another nation that is at war.

PvE Players: Aren't ganked by the PvP'ers, Can take advantage of the economy changing based on the war. Crafters can gather materials and craft goods for the war without getting ganked. Some materials dropped by mobs could be important to city defenses and special weapons. The PvP'ers would partly rely on the PvE'ers to keep their nations defenses and economy strong. Nations can buy mobs (strong but don't drop mats) to station in nation territory that attack other nations' PvE'ers but leave their own players alone, PvE'er and crafters will be the ones who want the wars to happen because they will want easy access to more materials and mobs that drop.

This would foster mutual reliance between PvP'ers and PvE'ers, and drive the engines of war at the same time.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I play pvp games when I want to pvp and pve games when I want that, so if this is a pve game you're talking about I'd rather they be on another server with their own ruleset so no chage to pvp will ever effect me, and vice versa.

What kills a game for me and many other pve people is when nerfs cross over. It only makes both sides hate eachother even more.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by Barrikor

What about dividing the game world into a dozen different nations that are run by the players... Allow these nations to declare war on each other, make peace, have alliances, etc. Have control points scattered around the map for the PvP'ers to fight over, and have a few control points in each city (ex: town hall, main gate, bridge)

PvP Players: Players who tag themselves for war can fight for their nation, can capture and hold control points to make their nation gain territory. They can't attack players from their own nation, can't attack players from a nation they aren't at war with, and can't attack any players/NPCs who aren't tagged for war (Civilians / PvE'ers). If a player's country currently isn't at war, players can go mercenary for another nation that is at war.

PvE Players: Aren't ganked by the PvP'ers, Can take advantage of the economy changing based on the war. Crafters can gather materials and craft goods for the war without getting ganked. Some materials dropped by mobs could be important to city defenses and special weapons. The PvP'ers would partly rely on the PvE'ers to keep their nations defenses and economy strong. Nations can buy mobs (strong but don't drop mats) to station in nation territory that attack other nations' PvE'ers but leave their own players alone, PvE'er and crafters will be the ones who want the wars to happen because they will want easy access to more materials and mobs that drop.

This would foster mutual reliance between PvP'ers and PvE'ers, and drive the engines of war at the same time.

+1

I just want something different that I haven't played before many times.

Ideally I don't want levels and gear to be either much of a factor or none at all. Also if there are PvE dynamic events (challenging ones) I would like if there were events generated for the PvP areas as well. These would give the weaker, of lower population, sides an advantage or provoke battles in less common areas.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Copy daoc easy.

Likewise sandbox copy eve.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Just add an option to ignore duel request, and you can ignore those who is in your face.

In fact, it would be nice to have a "ignore toon" option in MMO so that not only you can ignore someone's chat, you can choose to not see him in a common zone at all.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Just add an option to ignore duel request, and you can ignore those who is in your face.

In fact, it would be nice to have a "ignore toon" option in MMO so that not only you can ignore someone's chat, you can choose to not see him in a common zone at all.

I'd put myself on ignore and see if I can win without seeing my character.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Barrikor

The neutral faction is way too exploitable. Not very good. Not very outside the box either.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky