Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do today's gamer's even play MMO's for PVE anymore or is it all about ganking and pvp now?

Comments

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    The opposite can be said as well. But really? Who dies from standing in the fire? Sad...
  • Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    I only play PvE, I don't engage in PvP at all, for any reason whatsoever and if a game doesn't allow me to totally opt out of PvP, I won't play the game.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Aeon:
    You take a guy out of a skilled job and ask him to stack shelves at Asda, he's usually pretty bad at it as his mind is elsewhere ;)

True, they probably stood in the fire because they were asleep XD

• evdaezevdaez Member UncommonPosts: 131

i play mmo primarily for the pvp, in wow cba to raid, standing in one location pressing judgment, crusader strike and waiting for hp so i can blow TV is jst boring. Once i know a boss pattern, it means `i win`, its only a matter if someone else doesn't screw it up or doesnt blow trinket at the right time(professor putricide icc25, kiting orange goo towards raid instead of away from, nt dpsing enough in phase 3).

In pvp no 2 games are the same even im challenging 2 person using the same class. I could kill a priest who just stand there spamming dps button but i couldnt repeat it if the said priest knows hw to bubble/disperse/fear.

The only challenging pve that i appreciate is from diablo 3 inferno mode(but thats arpg lol)where special packs could wall, jail, dot and even run when their hp is low(wish they implement that in wow bt people would qq anyway so...) Even in tera, killing mobs would make me sleepy, its an entirely diff case where theres some gankers out there hunting's for my arse(this is where i feel so alive).

Prolly get flamed by peeps whos gonna say if i want pvp, i'll better of playing COD or CS lol. Anyways, PVP's the reason if imma stay playing a game for a long time(i hate game hopping). Ganking, it sux to be on teh receiving side but its part and parcel of pvp.

As for gw2, im still a lowbie for a couple of months, cba to lvl lol. Spvp FTW! For those who love pve in mmos, great, more powah to ya.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

I play for the PvE.  I like exploration and progressing.  I dont like PvP because you can never really balance it without screwing up the character class.  I like having the ability to advance my character as I see fit.  EQ was great with this with the use of AA.  Under that context if I had a killer (unique) build I should be able to trounce over anyone or any class that does.  Trying to make all classes equal defeats the purpose of PvP.  I can kill you, but first I have to make sure our skills are equal.  Ill never understand that nor play it.

PvP and PvE is like vodka and milk.  The two really dont mix.   Unless you do OWPvP and even in that case you have to throw 'balance' out the window.  Let the best unique build win.   The problem with that is within weeks the 'best' build will be on the Internet and you will have hundreds of these 'best' builds out there.  Seeing how you cant stop people from using the Internet to get information they otherwise would not have had, I dont see how you can ever honestly balance PvP.

Those who enjoy PvP, keep on enjoying it.  In its current form it doesnt interest me.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by sadWinds

The only challenging pve that i appreciate is from diablo 3 inferno mode(but thats arpg lol)where special packs could wall, jail, dot and even run when their hp is low(wish they implement that in wow bt people would qq anyway so...) Even in tera, killing mobs would make me sleepy, its an entirely diff case where theres some gankers out there hunting's for my arse(this is where i feel so alive).

haha .. my kid was doing afk raiding in WOW .. and he actually finished the raid and received drops.

The only reason why i work in D3 is because you can set the difficulty. If you cannot hack it, do MP0 or 1. If you want a challenge, do high MP.

So no one QQ, because there is always a MP they can do and have fun.

May be MMOs should have more difficulty settings like D3.

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by psychobgr
    Originally posted by dave6660

If you don't like PvP then don't do it.

How many mmorpg's released in the past 5 years have forced PvP on you?  They're not hard to avoid.

Not forced to pvp no but forced our characters to be nerfed or changed because of pvp whiners. Make pvp completely separate to pve.

Amen to that, but it will never happen.  Developers are too damn lazy to come out with separate code for each, just like they're too lazy to come out with two separate interfaces for hybrid PC / Console MMOs.

I don't think it is laziness, but rather that it is a lot of effort for not much return.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Honestly, MOST players (and I believe the poll even reflects this), play MMOs for the PvE atm.

However, if you spend enough time on this site, you'll think the exact opposite. That MMOers all want PvP oriented sandbox gankfests. That's just the demographic here.

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203

I vote for PVE.

I do like to have at least two servers per game, one for PVE and one for PVP.

If pvpeyers want more people to joing pvp? then mature already.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    It's a loaded question when you use ganking and pvp together.  It instantly gives a negative vibe.  I really enjoy PvP, but don't go in for ganking.  In fact, I would venture to say that like any sub group, they are a minority.  PvE for me is ok, as long as I'm not tied to a set path.  However, the thrill of combat, adventure, and every other aspect is hightened for me when competing with humans instead of AIs.

I self identify as a monkey.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by Scottgun
    Originally posted by monochrome19

Also, there seems to be this misconception that PKers are loud, angry, and down right mean.

This is completely untrue. Sure things can get heated but there are just as many asshats in PvE as there are in PvP.

More classy PvE'rs:

http://youtu.be/F4wurXDgYmE

lol these clips remind me why i have NOTHING to do with raid guilds

have some more lovely friendly PVEERs

"cock fight" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4qPyWUjoFw

"scary russian" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUPXvWBwz2c

"im a little girl skills" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOzRgfF36nM

"very sweary kid" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8CbrQdfDaU

More proof of the level-headed superiority of Pve'rs:

http://youtu.be/SzrjDc7AvS0

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    I bet all those examples are pvpers coming to pve to harass people and teling them how bad they are.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Voted PVE.

I don't see any sort of trend toward PVP centric MMORPGs.

A bunch of the more loosely defined "MMOs" are PVP centric, but from what I've seen most of them are simply publisher hosted FPS games.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by monochrome19
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Aeon:
    You take a guy out of a skilled job and ask him to stack shelves at Asda, he's usually pretty bad at it as his mind is elsewhere ;)

True, they probably stood in the fire because they were asleep XD

There has been a couple PvE games where I've fallen asleep at the keyboard.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    I voted PvP mainly but I don't mind to do PvE when its a new game. The thing about PvE is that its get boring and easy really really quickly. It's fun when it's a new experience but it gets old fast. I want challenges in the games I play and PvE can be challenging at 1st, but once you've figured out how to do dungeons and stuff like that, its just plain boring. Not fun nor challenging. The lore can also be a good thing but I've never played an MMO where lore was as important and as much fun as a single player RPG. If an MMO can gives us some good lore/story like single player RPGs such as Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Elder Scrolls games and etc with some really challenging PvE experience from start to "the end", I might play the PvE a lot more than what I used to play in other MMOs. Else, I won't really care about it. The PvP is where the fun and challenge is for me.
  • maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

In the early days (UO, EQ, SWG, DAoC), most MMO gamers were "nerds" and adults. The overall attitude was mostly passive. There was still ganking etc, but it wasn't second nature to all.

Did you actually play UO in those early years?  It was like Lord of the Flies Online.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

If you don't like PvP then don't do it.

How many mmorpg's released in the past 5 years have forced PvP on you?  They're not hard to avoid.

Not forced to pvp no but forced our characters to be nerfed or changed because of pvp whiners. Make pvp completely separate to pve.

Amen to that, but it will never happen.  Developers are too damn lazy to come out with separate code for each, just like they're too lazy to come out with two separate interfaces for hybrid PC / Console MMOs.

It has nothing to do with laziness.

Now it seems like we're getting more extreme.  Not only do you guys not want to PvP, you don't other players doing in your game.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    I play mainly for PVE but I prefer that there be some form of open world PVP - it adds that feeling of danger and surprise to my PVE pursuits. :)
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Originally posted by maplestone
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

In the early days (UO, EQ, SWG, DAoC), most MMO gamers were "nerds" and adults. The overall attitude was mostly passive. There was still ganking etc, but it wasn't second nature to all.

Did you actually play UO in those early years?  It was like Lord of the Flies Online.

lol, hopefully most got the reference.  very funny

I self identify as a monkey.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

It has nothing to do with laziness.

Now it seems like we're getting more extreme.  Not only do you guys not want to PvP, you don't other players doing in your game.

It's like a Night of the Long (Elven) Knives, the PVP-Putsch.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

Originally posted by znaiika
    I bet all those examples are pvpers coming to pve to harass people and teling them how bad they are.

How so? The examples feature people who argue rolls like they've taken 100 hours of class work in PvE Loot Law.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

It's not gamers, it's the developers.  It's a whole lot easier and cheap to setup PVP as a major end-game attraction because you aren't having to constantly design new things like encounters and storylines.  You just build a map and people churn through the "content" over and over again.

It's kind of annoying how they use that as a crutch though.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by asmkm22

It's not gamers, it's the developers.  It's a whole lot easier and cheap to setup PVP as a major end-game attraction because you aren't having to constantly design new things like encounters and storylines.  You just build a map and people churn through the "content" over and over again.

It's kind of annoying how they use that as a crutch though.

I seem to recall there was a study that less than 20% of people who buy/sub a game get to the end-game content. If that is true, no wonder devs don't knock themselves out over end-game content.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Onomas

80% of this forums people do not know what ganking, ganked, or gank means. Everytime they die they say "I got ganked".

Lot of people use this misconception to turn others off from games also, and people associate ganking with sandboxes which is untrue.

I have read people saying in AOW they were ganked 3 times in the first 5 minutes of logging in, which is untrue.

People do not group and want to solo everything in a pvp game and get killed is stupidity not being unlucky.

If you dont pay attention to your surroundings and get attacked whos fault is that?

PvP is not PvE and needs to be treated differently.

I have not been truely "ganked" in several years. But i always see the same people claim they were ganked, corpsecamped, and griefed. In a large open world why is it trouble always seems to follow you?

I realy think the ganking is used to loosly. Many of you associate ganking with pvp and full loot with open world games. PvP can be fun if done correctly, work together with others, keep an eye out for incoming players, try to avoid hot spots, and know your skills properly.  Not saying it doesnt happen, just seems it happens far to many times to certain people. So far a month in AOW as an example and I havent died once, but so many say its a gankfest game......................image

I agree the word ganked is totaly missused by far. I used it since ppl do think of it in many diffrent terms.