Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: All Aboard!

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Last week's developments on The Elder Scrolls Online mark the kick-off of the official TESO hype machine and we're using this week's column to weigh in.

With The Elder Scrolls Online set to release sometime this year, this latest development essentially marks the true beginning of the familiar marketing song-and-dance that many MMO veterans often try their hardest to steel themselves against (and ridicule MMO neophytes for easily succumbing to). It’s an important consideration for both the game’s developer and for fans themselves. On the one hand, the developer must take care in setting realistic expectations while also trying to maintain significant levels of excitement over a sometimes long stretch of time and this is much easier said than done. On the other, players need to do well to not set their own expectations too high based on the ensuing marketing madness.

Read more of Michael Bitton's The Elder Scrolls Online: All Aboard!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

hehe- u said...' hype train'

:-)

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

TESO is looking good, from the very little thats been put out. Im not on the hype-train, but I am looking forward to this game.

Hopefully Ill get into the beta,.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I don't buy into hype. However, I was immediately following TESO once I heard its lead dev worked on DAOC and that TESO will also be using a 3 realm RvR system.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Haven't been able to hype me in a long time, since WoW was first announced years before it released. This game has me pretty hyped. DAoC style RvR in ES universe? Sexy.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I have concerns about this megaserver thing and phased story lines (please don't over do them and make it like swtor)

But I'm looking forwards to trying out the beta and making my own mind up.
  • DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

[mod edit]

Till the next game come out. Then people will jump on that! LOL

• RashmeindRashmeind Member Posts: 18
    Well I'm pretty jazzed.  It's hard to say anything when all you've seen of a game are brief gameplay and some sparkly trailers though... 
  • HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Cautious optimism.....

There are a lot of things that I like, and I think these guys have a better grasp of factional PvP than the folks at GW2 gave us. Not saying that GW2 is bad, but for me 3 faction PvP was defiined by my experience in DAoC. 

I do have plenty of questions, like a 2,000 person cap in a PvP area on a megaserver, with potentially hundreds of thousands of people online at the same time? The phasing? I'm not caught up with the fact that this title is an MMO first, and Elder Scrolls second, I'm okay with that compromise, although I know many people arent.

Right now, I've got a very patient approach, and will wait and see where this title goes. Promise? Sure, a lot of games have promise, but we'll have to see how Zenimax delivers.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    i dont know about you guys but im not hyped the slightest bit. I had same feelings for DFUW when all hyped it here like mad-none. For me it looks boring and for people made that have no real life goals. GW2 was made for me beacuse it let me choose every day. I dont feel like i need to do anything. Games like these bound you on a place for day and night. Not a good way to live-if your not handicapped somewhere ells. But thats just my opinion.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

The Repopulation and TESO are the only two games that I am excited for.

• floreairfootfloreairfoot Member Posts: 59

If a game gets my interest, I'll buy it.

If I don' like it, I stop playing. Simple.

I may be out $60, but it only happens 1-2 times a year, so i'll live.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

If I can get that Skyrim style First Person Sword + Shield gameplay that I love in a MMO setting - with a truly well done progression system (I also really like the perk trees in Skyrim)

I'll be happy.

Good PvE, open world dungeons, plenty of party-only content, and decent PvP too.

If I get those things.. might be a great game for me.

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353
    unlike past games ive hoped for.. for TESO im putting my hopes REAL low. This way it cant' dissapoint and can only impress me.
    Simmilar to Spock, if I can run around solo and just stumble upon dungeons and have the same fun bow combat as tes. Then have a pvp endgame closer to daoc than say gw2 or war were I would be super happy.

To make me really really happy though, I would like a mordred style server, just would feel more tes like.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    While I do intend to play and am looking forward to the game I will not overly look forward to it just becasue I have apprenhension with the Megaserver tech.  I also would like to see seperate style of servers for thsoe clamoring for it (Open and PvP)  even though I like the game as announced.  I also have trepidition of endgame because GW2 taught me I am not interested in PvP any more.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

"I do want to take a moment to address some of the reactions to the CG trailer last week, though. There’s really no reason to bring up the fact the trailer is worthless since it isn’t a gameplay trailer or that the game ‘won’t be like that’."

To me at least it is worthless, though I understand the target audience for a trailer may not be me.

There Is Always Hope!

• DropDeadFredDropDeadFred Member Posts: 5
    Im in the hype.I'm trying to get in the beta too. This game has greatness wrote all over it. I hope they dont ruin it by taking away all the freedoms, that was always the best part of playing this series of Elder Scroll.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I'm feeling no different than I do about any game that sparks my interest. I look at it with a wait and see attitude, never failed to get into a beta someway for games I had an insterest in. I have confidence I'll get to see it before I buy it.

I do wanna say I like their approach to the hype this far, more companies should wait as they did to unleash that "hype train".

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• bigcheeseukbigcheeseuk Member UncommonPosts: 133

Ahahaha Hype! hype! hype!

Oh! I weed a bit

:o

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Originally posted by AtmaDarkwolf
    unlike past games ive hoped for.. for TESO im putting my hopes REAL low. This way it cant' dissapoint and can only impress me.

Tried that strategy last time too. Didn't work though. I was still disappointed. :(

• DhampirDhampir Member UncommonPosts: 156
    we shall see...
    “Nothing is trivial.”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

“Sarah: "Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever...”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

I think this will be a very solid title. Looking forward to the beta :)

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I have concerns about this megaserver thing and phased story lines (please don't over do them and make it like swtor)

Errm, "don´t overdo it like SWTOR" ?

SWTOR neither has single server tech like TSW and TESO, nor does anything you do affect your gameworld by phasing.

By reading the bullet points, TESO will be far, far ahead of SWTOR in all departments.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by FromHell

I think this will be a very solid title. Looking forward to the beta :)

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Errm, "don´t overdo it like SWTOR" ?

SWTOR neither has single server tech like TSW and TESO, nor does anything you do affect your gameworld by phasing.

By reading the bullet points, TESO will be far, far ahead of SWTOR in all departments.

SWTOR is phased to hell and back, thats what all them little red doors you cant enter are.

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    We have heard a lot of hype, but seen nothing of the game yet. I DONT SEE a reason to be hyped just yet.

• NoobkilarNoobkilar Member Posts: 175

I do hope one of these games can be a sucess as the market was worthless in 2010+ with the tons of fail games released with major backing. We all seen how a major title with a HUGE following can flop quicker than crap from a airplane. IE: STO, SWTOR, and not so much warhammer ( following size I mean ).

Myself I am numb to hype now with so many let downs its not even funny....There is a small light at the end of the tunnel one of these games will be worthy of my hard earned and TAXED us Dollar.

only 2 games catch my eye this year and thats ESO, and Dust514. Even tho I already wasted 30 bucks on darkfall unholy wars...I know from beta that game is gonna flop quicker than a drunken paris hilton.