Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: The most influential mmorpg of 2012

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by eyelolled

Well it's nice that you make a lot of posts about TERA. Not quite half your posts, but a good number. So you could definately make  a thread called "I am really influenced by TERA"

However, this post was made about everyone, and the cumulative amount of hits that GW2 received compared to ANY and EVERY OTHER game. Maybe you missed the number but it exceeds 3 TIMES the amount of any other games hits.  And it's almost 6 times as many hits as TERA.

While you might think it's not influential because you post almost as much about TERA, the cumulative effect from all the people posting tells a different story. GW2 is the most talked about, most noticed, most influential mmorpg out there, and every post you make arguing the fact just adds to me being right.

If anything that just means it's the most influential MMO on this site specifically, if you want to go by that logic. 

But then I can say WoW is the most influential MMORPG on Xfire and the most influential on facebook and SWTOR is the most influential on youtube, etc.

I thought I heard GW2 had more XFire users than WoW... one reason XFire isn't a great source of data... or what that something different? Population change? I forget.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by dimnikar
    How about we have it actually INFLUENCE something before making asinine threads like this -.-

Well, GW2 has influenced you and prompted you to talk about it. Unless, of course, you don't exist.

I would have called GW2 "most popular step backwards in innovation in 2012" personally.

Agreed - the game is not dead totally but nowhere near as populated as it used to be....  I know 3 guilds who barely even play it at all now....

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Re gw2, if it was not the most influential mmorg, what the hell was?

Isn't this unknowable until we see the next wave of mmo's come out?

So far, we don't have a post-GW2 released mmo which was obviously influenced by GW2.

What post-GW2 games are directly influenced by it? MoP? Storm Legion? That's pretty much the only thing we've seen post-GW2, they are only expansions and they were influenced in NO WAY by GW2.

I think this entire thread is under a misconception of what the word 'influential' means.

I think the word everyone is really thinking of is 'innovative'.

We won't know what games GW2 influenced, until we see games come out, which were , in fact,  'influenced' by it.

------------------------------------------------------

And here is one to throw a bunch of you off.....

Some of the most influential games from the past were Rift and WAR. Because it is quite obvious, GW2,  was heavily influenced by them.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it. 

I'm sorry if this comes off as snarky - but pull out a dictionary for God's sake.

Its not hard to work out what the OP meant, but i will rephrase the OP's words to help.  What game produced in GW2 do you think is/will be the most infuential?  and was GW2 influenced by Rift really? may want to research that one..

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Volkon

Well it's nice that you make a lot of posts about TERA. Not quite half your posts, but a good number. So you could definately make  a thread called "I am really influenced by TERA"

However, this post was made about everyone, and the cumulative amount of hits that GW2 received compared to ANY and EVERY OTHER game. Maybe you missed the number but it exceeds 3 TIMES the amount of any other games hits.  And it's almost 6 times as many hits as TERA.

While you might think it's not influential because you post almost as much about TERA, the cumulative effect from all the people posting tells a different story. GW2 is the most talked about, most noticed, most influential mmorpg out there, and every post you make arguing the fact just adds to me being right.

If anything that just means it's the most influential MMO on this site specifically, if you want to go by that logic. 

But then I can say WoW is the most influential MMORPG on Xfire and the most influential on facebook and SWTOR is the most influential on youtube, etc.

I thought I heard GW2 had more XFire users than WoW... one reason XFire isn't a great source of data... or what that something different? Population change? I forget.

It had more on release but has since fallen behind.

Anyways, eyelolled seems to think popularity directly converts to influence , however that is not the case and i'll bring up an example.

Kony 2012, who remembers this? Probably forgot about it by now didn't you, anyways, this surged, it became huge within hours and gigantic within days, was going to be a crazy event for the whole world to stop this overlord in Africa, got so much attention, but in the end when it came down to it, nobody ended up doing anything and it influenced nobody.

Popularity or page views in eyelolled case with regard to GW2, do not directly convert to influence. How much something has influenced something else is not measurable and this thread is just sensationalist speculations.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Leucent
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Re gw2, if it was not the most influential mmorg, what the hell was?

Isn't this unknowable until we see the next wave of mmo's come out?

So far, we don't have a post-GW2 released mmo which was obviously influenced by GW2.

What post-GW2 games are directly influenced by it? MoP? Storm Legion? That's pretty much the only thing we've seen post-GW2, they are only expansions and they were influenced in NO WAY by GW2.

I think this entire thread is under a misconception of what the word 'influential' means.

I think the word everyone is really thinking of is 'innovative'.

We won't know what games GW2 influenced, until we see games come out, which were , in fact,  'influenced' by it.

------------------------------------------------------

And here is one to throw a bunch of you off.....

Some of the most influential games from the past were Rift and WAR. Because it is quite obvious, GW2,  was heavily influenced by them.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it. 

I'm sorry if this comes off as snarky - but pull out a dictionary for God's sake.

GW2 was in development BEFORE rift. Warhammer - not so sure of either (mybe parts but WAR was such a POS  and that is worth mentioning).

Rift started development in 2006, GW2 in 2007.

AH - it was actually started while Factions was being developed (it was supposed to be the 4th chapter of GW:Utopia originally) but they wanted to do so many things that they actually decided to do GW2 . It was under development before that but officially announced then.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864
    Based on what? How many more "praise GW2" threads are you going to create? They're pretty much just your opinions written in a way to not seem like your opinion. Seriously, take a week off.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Game features asside, there is 1 thing that GW2 will clearly influence in future games - they have proved that a high quality big budget AAA can be produced and maintained and evolved with no subs.  I suspect they can do this because unlike companies like Blizzard they are not driven to maximise profit overall.  For that alone it is for me the biggest influence in 2012, and as a consumer/Player I am absolutely delighted.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Game features asside, there is 1 thing that GW2 will clearly influence in future games - they have proved that a high quality big budget AAA can be produced and maintained and evolved with no subs.  I suspect they can do this because unlike companies like Blizzard they are not driven to maximise profit overall.  For that alone it is for me the biggest influence in 2012, and as a consumer/Player I am absolutely delighted.

Nice and interesting thought here!!!

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Tazlor
    Based on what? How many more "praise GW2" threads are you going to create? They're pretty much just your opinions written in a way to not seem like your opinion. Seriously, take a week off.

yeah, I know. I made 2 praise GW2 threads this month. What a terrible person I am.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

yeah, I know. I made 2 praise GW2 threads this month. What a terrible person I am.

Yes you are horrible - want to make a 3rd?

I was thinking about making a thread about how GW2 attracts higher aptitude players because of utilizing dodge mechanics, and active combat instead of just using rng to determine fight outcomes, but I think that I might really make some people freak out so I'll hold off for now.  I don't want people to think that I'm trolling the hateclub or anything.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I was thinking about making a thread about how GW2 attracts higher aptitude players because of utilizing dodge mechanics, and active combat instead of just using rng to determine fight outcomes, but I think that I might really make some people freak out so I'll hold off for now.  I don't want people to think that I'm trolling the hateclub or anything.

That would be a worthy thread however, considering the non-rotational aspects of the multi-faceted skills and the need to often use them in the best situation as opposed to off cooldown like lesser MMOs... but yeah, it may draw the ire of the local trolls. They're riled up enough on a day to day basis as it is.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon

That would be a worthy thread however, considering the non-rotational aspects of the multi-faceted skills and the need to often use them in the best situation as opposed to off cooldown like lesser MMOs... but yeah, it may draw the ire of the local trolls. They're riled up enough on a day to day basis as it is.

Except the fact pretty much every action MMO would be considered more skill based than GW2, although GW2 is still a step ahead of the typical tab-target macro fests like Rift.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Not so fast GW2 fan! If in the near future we see other MMOs adopting things like no trinity, the downed mechanic in PvE and PvP, hearts and dynamic events, overflow servers etc then we might say it's influential. Until then, patience.

I really wish some of these game designers did adopt some of the mechanics like Queue....for example POE beta just launched and people were sitting around in ques waiting to login....how 2001 is that? a que really? they do realize which year it is right? It doesn't matter what type of game it is either if you're not going to do what's necessary to eliminate the ancient archaic designs in your game then don't bother launching them.

GW2 is just as bad in some aspects. In nov 15th when they took on the new direction away from their 7 yo manifesto and they decided they were going to add a gear treadmill and add a dungeon that suddenly became the sole attention grabber from everyone in the game, they should have added a dungeon finder end of story. 

My point is evolution in gaming is a necessity, if devs don't evolve they don't get the players like me that demand they do things with the most common sense in mind. There's some things wrong with GW2's new direction, but there's alot right and all devs need to take the stick out from their collective butts stop being so prideful and remember the player. The thing that made the elephant in the room so popular was adaptation (evolution) they took elements people loved from other games and made them their own. It's still going on. I might hate WoW for what they did wrong but they still evolved.

Every dev that comes out with a game this year if they don't have overflow servers or quests that autopopup without extra running around or remote turnins at the very least is going to get an earful from people like me, it's just stupid at this point.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Except the fact pretty much every action MMO would be considered more skill based than GW2, although GW2 is still a step ahead of the typical tab-target macro fests like Rift.

Based on what?

If you've ever tried combat mode for GW2, you might realize that the targetting in GW2 is actually very similar to most action MMOs (even TERA). They all operate on a loose targetting system, because they have to to compensate for things like lag and server load. Planetside 2 is probably the only one so far to be more accurate in this regard, but it still has certain areas where the loose aiming shows.

While GW2 does have certain aspects that have been dumbed down to appease the masses, when you actually get into the higher-end play of the game, the amount of skill actually involved becomes extremely apparent. Try playing tournaments in this game without a really good / organized group of players. You'll get crushed 99/100 times.

As with any game, if you play to the easiest situations, it will seem easy.

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Not so fast GW2 fan! If in the near future we see other MMOs adopting things like no trinity, the downed mechanic in PvE and PvP, hearts and dynamic events, overflow servers etc then we might say it's influential. Until then, patience.

I really wish some of these game designers did adopt some of the mechanics like Queue....for example POE beta just launched and people were sitting around in ques waiting to login....how 2001 is that? a que really? they do realize which year it is right? It doesn't matter what type of game it is either if you're not going to do what's necessary to eliminate the ancient archaic designs in your game then don't bother launching them.

GW2 is just as bad in some aspects. In nov 15th when they took on the new direction away from their 7 yo manifesto and they decided they were going to add a gear treadmill and add a dungeon that suddenly became the sole attention grabber from everyone in the game, they should have added a dungeon finder end of story. 

My point is evolution in gaming is a necessity, if devs don't evolve they don't get the players like me that demand they do things with the most common sense in mind. There's some things wrong with GW2's new direction, but there's alot right and all devs need to take the stick out from their collective butts stop being so prideful and remember the player. The thing that made the elephant in the room so popular was adaptation (evolution) they took elements people loved from other games and made them their own. It's still going on. I might hate WoW for what they did wrong but they still evolved.

Every dev that comes out with a game this year if they don't have overflow servers or quests that autopopup without extra running around or remote turnins at the very least is going to get an earful from people like me, it's just stupid at this point.

Hang on a minute. Wouldn't GW2 doing something alternative to their own set manifesto if they felt after launch that some ideas didn't quite work be considered evolving? 

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

Originally posted by aesperus

Based on what?

If you've ever tried combat mode for GW2, you might realize that the targetting in GW2 is actually very similar to most action MMOs (even TERA). They all operate on a loose targetting system, because they have to to compensate for things like lag and server load. Planetside 2 is probably the only one so far to be more accurate in this regard, but it still has certain areas where the loose aiming shows.

While GW2 does have certain aspects that have been dumbed down to appease the masses, when you actually get into the higher-end play of the game, the amount of skill actually involved becomes extremely apparent. Try playing tournaments in this game without a really good / organized group of players. You'll get crushed 99/100 times.

As with any game, if you play to the easiest situations, it will seem easy.

I actually used a TERA mod for GW2 so I had to aim my attacks with a reticle and move my camera just by moving the mouse. So it was just as skilled based on my end as TERA.

I couldn't play it any other way tbh. I never got into heavy PvP in GW2 because I didn't have a group of friends interested in it unfortunately so I cant entirely comment on that.

But I found it surprisingly easy to pick up on things in GW2 PvP, especially combo fields which the majority of people barely knew about, well they knew about them but never used them. I leveled my ele to 80 and without doing any research I went into the mists and was stacking myself with 25 might then using churning earth or whatever it was called and right as it was about to cast I would teleport 10m and hit the heavy target golem 15m away for almost a one shot(15k or something) and put on a 7-8k bleed.

I liked experimenting, was the most fun seeing someone in WvW in a 1v1, I would start casting and stacking myself with might and start casting churning earth or whatever and they would stand there confused and obviously not walk in it then id teleport as it casts and hit them from 15m away... ah they never saw it coming.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

I don´t think we need another 100 page thread telling us all how "influential" GW2 is.

Astroturfing FTW .

You know what, I personally hope the "ideas" in this game won´t be copied by any developer. If this is supposed to be the future, I´ll better stick with "oldschool".

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

still trying to figure out your big gripe with ascended gear.. i have noticed no ill effects as a whole on WvW as it doesn't give an unfair advantage, it obviously has 0 effect on sPVP.. I really haven't noticed any changes in dungeons with people i ran with that had ascended gear vs exotic(outside fractals). I have killed numerous people in WvW that were wearing it. You can now run higher level fractals without the gear and have alternate means to aquire it other than dungeon running. Trying to understand how in anyway it effects your gameplay as a whole.. if i can play and enjoy myself in WvW and anywhere else in the game in exotic gear or even rare gear for that matter and not feel underpowered at all what is the issue? sorry just trying to understand how this is all of a sudden a whole "new direction" for the game.. i can pretty much enjoy 100% of the games content with gear easily aquired as soon as I ding level 80 if not before...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

still trying to figure out your big gripe with ascended gear.. i have noticed no ill effects as a whole on WvW as it doesn't give an unfair advantage, it obviously has 0 effect on sPVP.. I really haven't noticed any changes in dungeons with people i ran with that had ascended gear vs exotic(outside fractals). I have killed numerous people in WvW that were wearing it. You can now run higher level fractals without the gear and have alternate means to aquire it other than dungeon running. Trying to understand how in anyway it effects your gameplay as a whole.. if i can play and enjoy myself in WvW and anywhere else in the game in exotic gear or even rare gear for that matter and not feel underpowered at all what is the issue? sorry just trying to understand how this is all of a sudden a whole "new direction" for the game.. i can pretty much enjoy 100% of the games content with gear easily aquired as soon as I ding level 80 if not before...

I think that the problem comes from localizing a big part of the population in LA for doing fractals.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

I think that the problem comes from localizing a big part of the population in LA for doing fractals.

if a BIG population is doing that then wouldn't it make sense a BIG population wants that type of gameplay in their game? for me i don't care i like it how it is.. you give that group something to focus on but in the grand scheme of things I can enjoy pretty much all the games content and not feel at a dissadvantage. Gear treadmills to me start when you start having huge gaps in power and major portions of content sectioned off that only cater to higher geared players(speaking in terms of max level of course)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

if a BIG population is doing that then wouldn't it make sense a BIG population wants that type of gameplay in their game? for me i don't care i like it how it is.. you give that group something to focus on but in the grand scheme of things I can enjoy pretty much all the games content and not feel at a dissadvantage. Gear treadmills to me start when you start having huge gaps in power and major portions of content sectioned off that only cater to higher geared players(speaking in terms of max level of course)

Personally, I don't find the fractal thing to be an issue at all. I haven't even noticed an effect other than LA has people talking about fractals in chat now. 

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

It is true though, other games ARE more skill based than RPGs such as the standard MMORPG.  At the most you could argue that gameplay in RPGs provides so much emphasis on strategy that it is more skill based than twitch games, but seriously, we all know that MMORPGs are no game of chess.  It is relatively easy to watch conditions and specs of your enemy then use the appropriate spells to maximize damage.  It is no chess.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

I'm really curious at what it is with the "no love for GW2" crowd, where they can't remain focused on multiple points, but instead can only seem to pay attention to one point at a time.

If you would have read the original post, you would see that I also mention the fact of all the awards it's won, and the critical acclaim that has been given to GW2.  WoW did get some moderate reviews but influential it is not. And SWTOR could have been a contender as far as being most influential, but sadly there just wasn't enough to be excited about.  

The game has multiple awards from multiple reveiwers. People can't stop talking about it, even 5 months after release it is still topping the numbers.  The new patch is being well received and it's looking like it's bringing people BACK that left.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

The Elder Scrolls Online seems to take a lot from GW2. Unless developers of different companies share ideas and designs behind the scene.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design