Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do today's gamer's even play MMO's for PVE anymore or is it all about ganking and pvp now?

Comments

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by Avestria
    I play MMO's only for PVE, I stray away from PVP and such as I dislike it. PVP brings out the worst in people xD.

O RLY?

http://youtu.be/5sVqyzHfe50

• SacredDarkSacredDark Member UncommonPosts: 8

Pvp has more staying power than pve, I always completed all the pve and then got bored waiting for more until i eventually got bored of pvp also.

I doubt this will change though, pve is just waaay too easy these days to the point ive about given up on mmorpgs.

• pluzoidpluzoid Member Posts: 152

The irony that you thought PvE was dying out when it's pvp on the short end of the stick :-p

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

So pking someone is a cheap thrill but killing a boss in a raid is not a cheap thrill?

Am I getting this right?

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Drolkin

So pking someone is a cheap thrill but killing a boss in a raid is not a cheap thrill?

Am I getting this right?

Pretty much. If you have to kill someone with 3 monsters on them at half health, well, don't be surprised when PvP in PvE MMO's finally bites the dust for good. Pretty soon they will be two different games.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Who says you have to kill someone fighting 3 monsters? 

PvE is a joke outside the circle of top progressors, everyone else just copies what they do to beat the encounters.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Am I getting this right?

Uh yes.  I'm not sure if you are aware of it, but there is a significant difference between an npc running a script and a person playing a character.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Scottgun
    Originally posted by Avestria
    I play MMO's only for PVE, I stray away from PVP and such as I dislike it. PVP brings out the worst in people xD.

O RLY?

http://youtu.be/5sVqyzHfe50

Lol, PvE'ers, stay classy

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

Interesting results. I expected the exclusively PvP crowd to be higher, though I guess MMOs are a terrible choice if you have *zero* interest in PvE content. 

I'm a fan of both. 

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

Am I getting this right?

Uh yes.  I'm not sure if you are aware of it, but there is a significant difference between an npc running a script and a person playing a character.

REALLY?!

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    You dont get pvp and pve adrenalin as far as I am aware, maybe we will evolve and have that in the future :p. if you are talking about it from a victims pov well it's true bosses don't sneak about in real life to abuse unaware players.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 543

PvE only: my ideal game should have heavy crafting, exploring and PvE.

PvP - not an option under any circumstances; I won't go for any game that has pvP.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723

PvP is the single most important thing in a game for me.

I've never liked PvE, its boring and repetitive and a monkey can do it.

I can literally smash my face into the keyboard in any game and do good in PvE,

skill required = none

Because I HAVE to level I've taken a tiny liking to questing. If the quest has a good storyline I can really get into it but most quest are collect X, kill X. So yeah... PvE is pretty bad.

PvP on the other hand is AMAZING! I can PvP on a game and never get bored. I've fallen asleep at my computer during raids but that has never happened in PvP. Theres something about owning someone that gets my blood boiling, the unpredictability, the teamwork, EVERYTHING.

I dont see how people dont like PvP. Sure, getting ganked is annoying but... DEAL WITH IT! 

PvErs are cry babies who dont have what it takes to PvP. If you're afraid of getting ganked your more likely to socialize with people to make a party. I've carried/protected people I dont know from players just because I didnt want them to get ganked. PvP creates a since of unity in people and makes them friendlier. If someone is willing to protect you from a horde of players for extended periods of time it makes you appreciate other players and helps the community as a whole.

#TrueStory

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

Am I getting this right?

REALLY?!

Yes, really.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

Well PVE servers exist for a reason. 

Also don't forget that the votes are based on this website's community, not necessarily the entire MMO community.

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723

Also, there seems to be this misconception that PKers are loud, angry, and down right mean.

This is completely untrue. Sure things can get heated but there are just as many asshats in PvE as there are in PvP.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Am I getting this right?

Pretty much. If you have to kill someone with 3 monsters on them at half health, well, don't be surprised when PvP in PvE MMO's finally bites the dust for good. Pretty soon they will be two different games.

last time i got ganked with 3 monsters on me and died. I respawned in town and brought an army back with me to kill the player killer. You're never the only player being killed. And because i wasnt gaining linear experience. it wasnt a total loss. Thats justice. 

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by monochrome19

Also, there seems to be this misconception that PKers are loud, angry, and down right mean.

This is completely untrue. Sure things can get heated but there are just as many asshats in PvE as there are in PvP.

More classy PvE'rs:

http://youtu.be/F4wurXDgYmE

Also it's been my experience that most PvP exclusive players are terrible at PvE content in general. We have had to make several cuts from our guild of (mostly) PvP-centric players because they can't stay out of a red circle. So much for PvE takes no skill.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Aeon:
    You take a guy out of a skilled job and ask him to stack shelves at Asda, he's usually pretty bad at it as his mind is elsewhere ;)
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Aeon:
    You take a guy out of a skilled job and ask him to stack shelves at Asda, he's usually pretty bad at it as his mind is elsewhere ;)

That's not a really good analogy. It's like someone who works a burger joint. The reason they work there if they are over the age of about 20-25 is because they can't advance past flipping burgers. There is no real excuse other than laziness. To each there own, but that analogy goes either way haha :D

I will say I'm super psyched about TESO RvR.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Also it's been my experience that most PvP exclusive players are terrible at PvE content in general. We have had to make several cuts from our guild of (mostly) PvP-centric players because they can't stay out of a red circle. So much for PvE takes no skill.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Originally posted by dave6660

If you don't like PvP then don't do it.

How many mmorpg's released in the past 5 years have forced PvP on you?  They're not hard to avoid.

Not forced to pvp no but forced our characters to be nerfed or changed because of pvp whiners. Make pvp completely separate to pve.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I always focus on the PvE.  I may do some PvP, but it's not my favorite or even second favorite way to pass the time in an MMO.  I do find it amusing though how many people think MMOs are or should be all about PvP, yet in games where PvP is the heavy focus, but still offers PvE, like Warhammer Online.  You'll see a lot of griping from the PvPers that too many people spend their time in the PvE content and not enough being ganked and they keep pushing developers to put all of the incentives into the PvP aspect in some tragically warped belief that it will force everyone to focus on the PvP.  So what does Mythic do?  They nerf rewards and XP gains for all PvE content and beef up XP and reward gains in PvP and instead of enticing those sheep to PvP, they leave the game instead, me included.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by psychobgr
    Originally posted by dave6660

If you don't like PvP then don't do it.

How many mmorpg's released in the past 5 years have forced PvP on you?  They're not hard to avoid.

Not forced to pvp no but forced our characters to be nerfed or changed because of pvp whiners. Make pvp completely separate to pve.

Amen to that, but it will never happen.  Developers are too damn lazy to come out with separate code for each, just like they're too lazy to come out with two separate interfaces for hybrid PC / Console MMOs.