Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: The most influential mmorpg of 2012

Comments

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Yes, to me GW2 was the most influencial mmorpg of 2012, because it influenced me to try other games i wouldn't have played before. Skyrim, Torchlight 2, Kingdoms of Amalur come to mind.

[mod edit]

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Volgore

Yes, to me GW2 was the most influencial mmorpg of 2012, because it influenced me to try other games i wouldn't have played before. Skyrim, Torchlight 2, Kingdoms of Amalur come to mind.

I never tried Kingdoms of Amalur, but Skyrim and Torchlight 2 are a couple great games!

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

The only and true fact is that GW2 would have been glad to mean 1/10th of what GW1 meant to the mmo industry.

GW2 ended up being a flavour of the month, now long buried and forgotten and off the radar of any average mmo gamer. But then again, they don't care. They already sold the boxes to those that were caught in the hype train, so for them it's mission accomplished anyway. Nobody plays nowadays, so what? It just means that their server maintenance gets cheaper till they overhype next paid expansion.

I mean, who could resist the continuation of an epic game of heart grinding, puzzle jumping, circular "dynamic" eventing, incredible storywriting and voiceacting to meet the super-epic world destroying end boss fight in which your mission is to get into a static turret and spam a button unchallenged till it falls off a rock.*

* This whole paragraph might contain selective sarcasm.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

Originally posted by Alber_gamer

The only and true fact is that GW2 would have been glad to mean 1/10th of what GW1 meant to the mmo industry.

GW2 ended up being a flavour of the month, now long buried and forgotten and off the radar of any average mmo gamer. But then again, they don't care. They already sold the boxes to those that were caught in the hype train, so for them it's mission accomplished anyway. Nobody plays nowadays, so what? It just means that their server maintenance gets cheaper till they overhype next paid expansion.

I mean, who could resist the continuation of an epic game of heart grinding, puzzle jumping, circular "dynamic" eventing, incredible storywriting and voiceacting to meet the super-epic world destroying end boss fight in which your mission is to get into a static turret and spam a button unchallenged till it falls off a rock.*

well, if the average gamer is no longer concerned with GW2, it's nice to know that the above average gamer is still enjoying it.

:)

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    Originally posted by Leucent
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by slickbizzle

I think Warcraft is incorporating a jumping puzzle into their next patch. 

Not sure if you'll need to be exalted with every faction in the game, and do 500 dailies, and run every dungeon/raid/BG,  to take part in it or not though.

Lol, GW2 was not the first with jumping puzzles. AC had them, WAR had them, SWTOR had them off the top of my head.

Oh? So Asheron's Call had jumping puzzles, RvR, sPvP, multiple tiered storylines, Dynamic Events, monthly content updates including map expansions, exploration completion goals, mini-games, personal resource nodes, combo fields, shared experience and loot on OW mobs, underwater combat, and running software that allows the developers to patch them on the fly, including the implimentation of new content. (sorry for the excessive amount of comma's in that sentence)

No, it wasn't AC. It wasn't AoC. It wasn't Aion. It wasn't WoW. It wasn't DAOC. It wasn't SWG. It wasn't SWTOR. It wasn't any of them.

It was GW2.

EDIT: I know it's the same post in both threads, but it was meant to be here, not in the other thread. My bad.

you forgot one of the #1 rules of these forums if someone doesn't enjoy any said feature in any particular game then it doesn't exist or isn't relavent :)

I was simply commenting on the JUMPING PUZZLES comment, obviously. I m really starting to think the few of you rabid fanbois left are really grasping at straws, freaking out over every little thing. It s just a game, get a little bit of a life, and stop taking it so serious.

I know. You were simply picking out one small portion of the game and pointing out that GW2 wasn't the first with it. 

Just as an FYI, you weren't the first person to do that in this thread.

And sorry if I sounded hostile by listing off a bunch of components about GW2 at once. I never realized how angry it sounds to say THAT many things in a row.  My apologies

Fair enough, but at least to me, everything you mentioned, it doesn t even do well IMO. This game felt like a carnival to me, fun little spurts, then the boredom settles in, and you realize you re getting ripped off.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

My whole gaming community (around 150 people give a take or few) started playing SWTOR very enthusiasticly in early access (premade guild and all that), and abandoned the game completely (started with first month) at 3 months mark, and they all still play GW2 since prelaunch in full strenght.

Noone (but me) even expressed interest to check out SWTOR again, EVEN for free, i tried and stopped again because game is getting worse and con job with paid content update was pretty much something than made me write off SWTOR forever.

And they are all pretty "average mmo gamers".

Get your facts straight

This game felt like a carnival to me, fun little spurts, then the boredom settles in, and you realize you re getting ripped off.

Think you ment games like SWTOR here...khm... cartel shop...khm... *whistle* ....khm...PAID content updates on top of SUB...khm....*humms - whistle*

Originally posted by mikahr

My whole gaming community (around 150 people give a take or few) started playing SWTOR very enthusiasticly in early access (premade guild and all that), and abandoned the game completely (started with first month) at 3 months mark, and they all still play GW2 since prelaunch in full strenght.

Noone (but me) even expressed interest to check out SWTOR again, EVEN for free, i tried and stopped again because game is getting worse and con job with paid content update was pretty much something than made me write off SWTOR forever.

And they are all pretty "average mmo gamers".

Get your facts straight

This game felt like a carnival to me, fun little spurts, then the boredom settles in, and you realize you re getting ripped off.

Think you ment games like SWTOR here...khm... cartel shop...khm... *whistle* ....khm...PAID content updates on top of SUB...khm....*humms - whistle*

Nope, I definately meant GW2.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

GW2 is the FIRST and THE ONLY mmo to be able to update their servers on the fly.

I dont play mmos for their downtime capacity

-- but GW2 patching technology is greatly appreciated :)

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Theres like four rabid GW2 fans left from the seemingly endless sea of them before launch and they are really trying hard to grasp at straws lately.

These threads and the fact you respond to every comment is a little ridiculous.

I mean i've watched the rabid GW2 fanboys fade away one by one... wonder when the last few will give up and realize GW2 will never be the mondo super MMO it was hyped up to be. It will be your average MMO, so far it hasn't done any better than SWTOR. 

Box sales were similar and retention rate is probably similar too, well see if anyone is even talking about GW2 in a years time.

No MMO will ever be a breakout success like WoW, they will quickly get lost in a sea of MMOs, sooner people realize this the less disappointed they'll be in the future.

The Elder scrolls has a chance of selling 5m+ boxes copies though just due to the IP and it's direct relation with gamers, ESO is probably a year away from release and it's already at over 1m likes on facebook with average marketing, once marketing starts at launch time it's going to be ridiculous.

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246
    I remember GW2, was fun for a month, but I wouldn't call it influential.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Drolkin

Really? You come back to the forums half a year later after playing for a month to comment on it still... I'd say it's more influential than you're willing to let on.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Fangrim
    Originally posted by Lawlmonster
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Not so fast GW2 fan! If in the near future we see other MMOs adopting things like no trinity, the downed mechanic in PvE and PvP, hearts and dynamic events, overflow servers etc then we might say it's influential. Until then, patience.

I can't see any other game, from last year, that other companies will be influenced by. I am happy that there is no trinity as I am bored to death with that simplified game mechanic. It was used a crutch for too long.

Isn't the homogonization of classes into builds that can complete every task necessary in groups just as boring?

Nah,its 10 times more boring.

I find it boring that you have to have, in other games like RIft, one healer or more, one tank or more, DPS (only specific builds please) and always asking for people and to be rejected when you don't have what is expected. For as versatile builds can be in Rift, they still boil down to 1-2 build per profession that are wanted and used. All the others are throw aways. The same can be said for all the other games out there that use the trinity.

It was your opinion and that is fine - don't state it as fact.

They are not homogenized as you you say. Rift got homogenized because of the limited builds actually used at end game. Play a mesmer in GW2 and see how different the builds can be.

To me it is fact and that is all that matters to me.

Originally posted by Lawlmonster
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Not so fast GW2 fan! If in the near future we see other MMOs adopting things like no trinity, the downed mechanic in PvE and PvP, hearts and dynamic events, overflow servers etc then we might say it's influential. Until then, patience.

I can't see any other game, from last year, that other companies will be influenced by. I am happy that there is no trinity as I am bored to death with that simplified game mechanic. It was used a crutch for too long.

Isn't the homogonization of classes into builds that can complete every task necessary in groups just as boring?

Nah,its 10 times more boring.

I find it boring that you have to have, in other games like RIft, one healer or more, one tank or more, DPS (only specific builds please) and always asking for people and to be rejected when you don't have what is expected. For as versatile builds can be in Rift, they still boil down to 1-2 build per profession that are wanted and used. All the others are throw aways. The same can be said for all the other games out there that use the trinity.

It was your opinion and that is fine - don't state it as fact.

They are not homogenized as you you say. Rift got homogenized because of the limited builds actually used at end game. Play a mesmer in GW2 and see how different the builds can be.

To me it is fact and that is all that matters to me.

You are, of course, entitled to your own set of opinions. You are not, however, entitled to your own facts.

Opinions are what someone thinks.

Facts are.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

Theres like four rabid GW2 fans left from the seemingly endless sea of them before launch and they are really trying hard to grasp at straws lately.

I mean i've watched the rabid GW2 fanboys fade away one by one... wonder when the last few will give up and realize GW2 will never be the mondo super MMO it was hyped up to be. It will be your average MMO, so far it hasn't done any better than SWTOR. 

Box sales were similar and retention rate is probably similar too, well see if anyone is even talking about GW2 in a years time.

No MMO will ever be a breakout success like WoW, they will quickly get lost in a sea of MMOs, sooner people realize this the less disappointed they'll be in the future.

The Elder scrolls has a chance of selling 5m+ boxes copies though just due to the IP and it's direct relation with gamers, ESO is probably a year away from release and it's already at over 1m likes on facebook with average marketing, once marketing starts at launch time it's going to be ridiculous.

It is like sex, if you compare every time to your first, then you will never get the WoW affect you had back then (sorry put it this way but it is a good example).  The same can be said for gaming....

There are plenty of GW2 players and now that the new patch is out and fixes some major issues, the rest can be dealt with. Your assumption of few, is more than likely worng.

We don't know enough about ESO to even say how many boxes it will sell. By the hype I have seen of it (and your post is a prime example of unmitigated hype) the game will as many detractors as GW2 does. Why? People don't see how their hype wrecks things.

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122

Influential? in my eyes,  GW2 is a wreck, i bought it, regret it badly after few hours. Sad story that ended after a good nights sleep. And i can deff say its not very influential... I dont see much that any other game would really want.

The influential games are those who have been in active duty for a long time. Like UO, Asheron's call for example.

Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by Drolkin

Really? You come back to the forums half a year later after playing for a month to comment on it still... I'd say it's more influential than you're willing to let on.

Why not comment on it. People giving their opinion 10+ years later about EQ1 or UO or AC1 happens all the time, good or bad. Is GW2 immune to such things. It doesn t make it influential, it was a huge disappointment for alot of people, so they still will talk down on it to let other people know the other side. Guess what there will be topics about GW2 2-3 years from now I m sure, not for it s influential nature but because it was a good memory or bad memory for some.

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

abloslutly nothing inovative in gw.

public quests stolen from WAR.

Jump puzzles stolen form com. of WOW.

PvP stolen from DAOC.

The other things in that game where nothing good, so nobody wants to see them again.

No offence, I relly wanted to like this game, played it for one week and was bored to dead.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Mari2k

PvP stolen from DAOC.

The other things in that game where nothing good, so nobody wants to see them again.

No offence, I relly wanted to like this game, played it for one week and was bored to dead.

See a dynamic event combines the easy grouping of PQs with the motivation to kill mobs behind quest. It also both makes that grouping even easier and streamlined and delivers the quest with a mixture of real time action, voice acting and a text complement.

DE = better PQs + better questing -> text book innovation.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

PvP stolen from DAOC.

See a dynamic event combines the easy grouping of PQs with the motivation to kill mobs behind quest. It also both makes that grouping even easier and streamlined and delivers the quest with a mixture of real time action, voice acting and a text complement.

So your opinion is fact now? DE=orange circle chasing+no questing=nice try.

PvP stolen from DAOC.

Lets see.

I said DEs allow group play, even easier than PQs,

Is that false? Do PQs allow easier grouping?

I said DEs present the story of a quest with real time action, voice acting and complementary text.

Is this false? Do DEs happen in the game world in real time or not? Do NPCs have voice acting lines or not? Do NPCs have a text with background information or not?

If these are true, than it is a fact, not an opinion.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

The Elder scrolls (mmo) has a chance of selling 5m+ boxes copies though just due to the IP and it's direct relation with gamers, ESO is probably a year away from release and it's already at over 1m likes on facebook with average marketing, once marketing starts at launch time it's going to be ridiculous.

how do you figure? 

the majority of Elder Scrolls sales were for the console platforms, XBOX and PS3

PvP stolen from DAOC.

Lets see.

I said DEs present the story of a quest with real time action, voice actiong and complementary text.

Is this false?

Actually, theres no relevance to what you said before, DE=better PQs.... that there is a matter of opinion, so no it isn t fact.

Hey welcome back. Nice to see that you haven't stopped your anti-GW2 campaign. I do have to wonder, why a person spends SO MUCH time preaching about a game that apparantly nobody cares about?

In other words, why do you bother to share?

Oh and as an FYI, many of the GW2 fans quit MMORPG because of the trolls here, they didn't quit the game. Something I've thought about doing myself.

PvP stolen from DAOC.

So they flat out admit that they're gamers and when designing the game they chose to seek out the best in other games, improve upon them and put them all into one package. By your admission, they did this. This, my friend, is innovation. Don't mistake it for invention. 

Public quests... take the concept, expand it such that it completely replaces the quest bang system MMOs have fallen into. Have them chain and happen whether or not players are present. Don't auto-reset... instead require the players to push them back from a fail state.

Jumping puzzles... um... what?

PvP - WvW was designed by some heavy fans of DaoC RvR players and they're unashamed to admit it was their driving influence. Those of us that are avid WvW players love it. Sure, it can use tweaks, but it's very well done out of the box and only getting better.

Crafting had a MineCraft influence combined with other games with a deeper recipe chaining. The abolition of the archaic trinity system takes many old timers back to their pre-trinity days and exposes the newer WoW-generation to something (opinion alert!) better. Fractals and the other dungeons are wonderfully done. The waypoint system is based on their own map-travel from GW1. 

They took a bunch of parts, improved on those parts and made the whole even greater than the sum of those parts. Will it be for everyone? Nah, people like what they like. Is it, however, innovative? Absolutely. The question will be whether or not that innovaton is enough to influence the design of future games much the way earlier games influenced the design of this one.

Oderint, dum metuant.

PvP stolen from DAOC.

Lets see.

I said DEs present the story of a quest with real time action, voice actiong and complementary text.

Is this false?

Actually, theres no relevance to what you said before, DE=better PQs.... that there is a matter of opinion, so no it isn t fact.

What is the point of PQs?

Allowing easy group play.

GW2 DEs allow even easier group play.

Hence they are superior.

Not only that, they do so by providing a story, presented in real time action and voice acting.

Are you telling me it is better to kill mobs without a story than killing mobs with a story?

You know RPGs had always have a story telling aspect right?