Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

honestly community is fine, quit trying to focus what aint broke

i remember back when i used to play wc3 dota you would expect a for there to be insults thrown. lots of people calling other people noob, telling them uninstall, pwned noob, gg noobs etc etc. People still played the game, it was heaps fun. You had too have thick skin to play wc3 dota and if you didnt you would either develop it or quit playing.

I played LoL for since it was released on and off till dota 2 came out. LoL started off a lot like wc3 dota in terms of community but slowly riot started implementing measures to prevent "bad behaviour" because there are people who dont handle being called noob very well. people started getting banned for saying things like "ggnoobs" after winning a match.... come on really? Then riot also turned off all chat by default to discourage people from communicating with the enemy team...

Dota 2 is a lot different from LoL. There is a report function but it seems no one cares. Dota 2 players seem not to care if some one calls them noob or anything. Ive played a game with a guy and were totally having a go at each other for reasons i do not remeber. I happened to be on the same team as the same guy the next game and we played like it never happened. not one single f*** was given. If this had happened in LoL it probably wouldnt of happened because we would have needed a good hour to cooldown and a hug/ big kiss from our mommy to feel better again and not be mad anymore.

Im not sure what is happening maybe it is the feminisation of gaming/ schools or the whole PC craze but it seems like everyone these days is a huge pussy and gets mad over small things. You can insult me however much you want and I will never get angry or upset. I am sure of who I am and I know my strengths/weaknesses. 

If I make a game I will give people a mute function and a block function. If you dont like someone just block and/or mute them. end of story. I dont like the idea of banning someone from my game because they called someone else a noob. I think video games should carry on the same values which have made some countries great ie. freedom of speech.

Note: I have never been banned or received a warning from LoL so inb4 umad cos u got banned from LoL

Comments

• SidraketSidraket Member Posts: 79
    But b.net has pretty much always been terrible (it was alright in 98), i dont think you should use the b.net community as a measuring stick. We are comparing things to actual mmos from ~ 2002 and before.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,374
    There is no good reason to behave like a douche either in game or in real life. Just how I view it and I try to treat all people with respect and expect others to do the same.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,049

I do not understand why insulting and rude and downright offensive behaviour should be tolerated. Why you say that it does not bother you and therefore should not bother others. Fact is it does bother others and therein lies the problem. No one is judging it by using you as the litmus and apparently game companies aren't either.

Do you remember how women were treated in the workplace at one time ? How they get pinched and various other stuff would go on and they were too terrified to speak up or complain because they would lose their job. Well just because something was tolerated at a time does not make it right. Similarly just because you tolerate some types of conduct online does not make it right.

Change has to happen . I played LoL for awhile so I am totally aware of the issue and  I am speaking from experience. If developers wish to court a potential 50% of a gaming population that could be female they need to also look at this aspect and they are perhaps making changes to clean things up. Revenue the money aspect will ultimately decide things and if they can get more money by actively banning and stopping this type of behaviour they will do it. 

There is absolutely no excuse for the type of insults I saw bandied about in LoL and anonymity is the main reason for it.  I noticed that in subbed games people were afraid of losing their accounts and behaved better ,well not always but you see less of it. Nowadays with f2p not so much.

Chamber of Chains
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Gamers in general don't understand the difference of rivalry in the game and outside. Look at hockey pros. In the game they are cussing, shouting and even fighting with the opposite team players. Outside most of them are friends.

But as said, gamers don't see that distinction. They take an attack within a game personally and carry it outside the game. This is a fact of life and as such, must be considered. In effect, games should encourage gentleman behaviour within the game aswell as without, because allowing unmitigated rivalry inside the game translates to rivalry outside.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

He does have a point about the mute/ignore. Far too often people don't use it because they want the drama. They go looking to be offended by things so they can feel all selfrightious when they fight back! Or they just like to argue..or whatever it is they get from it. It's only when it turns bad that they start looking for help from an offical rep from the game. Does the person they're complaining about really deserve a ban because the guy/girl with a good sob story lacked the wit to win that round ?

It seems that the only true " victoms" are the ones most willing to use ignore, but they're not all bent out of shape because they never saw most of what the dumb ass was saying. They just ignore and carry on.

Originally posted by DamonVile

He does have a point about the mute/ignore. Far too often people don't use it because they want the drama. They go looking to be offended by things so they can feel all selfrightious when they fight back! Or they just like to argue..or whatever it is they get from it. It's only when it turns bad that they start looking for help from an offical rep from the game. Does the person they're complaining about really deserve a ban because the guy/girl with a good sob story lacked the wit to win that round ?

It seems that the only true " victoms" are the ones most willing to use ignore, but they're not all bent out of shape because they never saw most of what the dumb ass was saying. They just ignore and carry on.

I fully agree that anyone who gets offended over anything has only themselves to blame, and i am troubled over things like the modern hysteria over 'internet bullying' and such.

That mindset worked fine for games in the old days when it was simply a good majority of people being undesirable. But as communities continue to degrade you have to ask yourself if its even worth playing an online game for the hand full of people on your friends list when you could just play a well developed and fleshed out singleplayer game.
  • MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

There appear to be more dicks playing games and on the Internet then in real life and I think that is purely down to people willing to say things here that in real life would get them punched in the face. It is a sort of reverse cowardice.

Mute/ignore is all well and good but it doesn't stop them being a jerk, they just move onto someone else. And there are more then enough people for them to spend a lifetime doing it and still have people to annoy.

What really needs to be done is for people to be faced with the "Would I say this if the guy was standing in front of me" thought process. The problem is, as well as the usual bullied, arogant, dickish people you get in real life you also have the downtrodden, angry, revenge crazed losers who think that repeating the bullying/rude/obnoxious routine somehow makes up for someone doing it to them.

That leaves the normal guys who either didn't get bullied/wouldn't be a jerk stuck in the middle listenning to these idiots waste oxygen. I want a big red "you are a dick, I have your address, I will punch you in the face if you continue being a dick" button.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Sidraket
    That mindset worked fine for games in the old days when it was simply a good majority of people being undesirable. But as communities continue to degrade you have to ask yourself if its even worth playing an online game for the hand full of people on your friends list when you could just play a well developed and fleshed out singleplayer game.

Pretty much this. Instead of TESO they should have just made a co-op expansion for Skyrim and millions would rejoice.

Originally posted by Maelwydd

There appear to be more dicks playing games and on the Internet then in real life and I think that is purely down to people willing to say things here that in real life would get them punched in the face. It is a sort of reverse cowardice.

Mute/ignore is all well and good but it doesn't stop them being a jerk, they just move onto someone else. And there are more then enough people for them to spend a lifetime doing it and still have people to annoy.

What really needs to be done is for people to be faced with the "Would I say this if the guy was standing in front of me" thought process. The problem is, as well as the usual bullied, arogant, dickish people you get in real life you also have the downtrodden, angry, revenge crazed losers who think that repeating the bullying/rude/obnoxious routine somehow makes up for someone doing it to them.

That leaves the normal guys who either didn't get bullied/wouldn't be a jerk stuck in the middle listenning to these idiots waste oxygen. I want a big red "you are a dick, I have your address, I will punch you in the face if you continue being a dick" button.

But i dont want people to pretend. One of the reasons i LIKE anonymity is people can be themselves. What i want is for people to be themselves, and then the ones who are jerks (in action, i myself am a hyper elitist and think myself superior to all! I also help the poor wretches in hopes that they may obtain a fraction of my majesty - for the betterment of man) can get blacklisted/driven out of the game. And we are left with a game only populated by people competent and amiable enough to group with

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I'd say its not the people who get called noobs but rather the people who call other people noobs who are the problem.

"Feminization of gaming"? ... Yeah, you're a real man's man aren't you?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by bishbosh2

i remember back when i used to play wc3 dota you would expect a for there to be insults thrown. lots of people calling other people noob, telling them uninstall, pwned noob, gg noobs etc etc. People still played the game, it was heaps fun. You had too have thick skin to play wc3 dota and if you didnt you would either develop it or quit playing.

I played LoL for since it was released on and off till dota 2 came out. LoL started off a lot like wc3 dota in terms of community but slowly riot started implementing measures to prevent "bad behaviour" because there are people who dont handle being called noob very well. people started getting banned for saying things like "ggnoobs" after winning a match.... come on really? Then riot also turned off all chat by default to discourage people from communicating with the enemy team...

Dota 2 is a lot different from LoL. There is a report function but it seems no one cares. Dota 2 players seem not to care if some one calls them noob or anything. Ive played a game with a guy and were totally having a go at each other for reasons i do not remeber. I happened to be on the same team as the same guy the next game and we played like it never happened. not one single f*** was given. If this had happened in LoL it probably wouldnt of happened because we would have needed a good hour to cooldown and a hug/ big kiss from our mommy to feel better again and not be mad anymore.

Im not sure what is happening maybe it is the feminisation of gaming/ schools or the whole PC craze but it seems like everyone these days is a huge pussy and gets mad over small things. You can insult me however much you want and I will never get angry or upset. I am sure of who I am and I know my strengths/weaknesses. 

If I make a game I will give people a mute function and a block function. If you dont like someone just block and/or mute them. end of story. I dont like the idea of banning someone from my game because they called someone else a noob. I think video games should carry on the same values which have made some countries great ie. freedom of speech.

Note: I have never been banned or received a warning from LoL so inb4 umad cos u got banned from LoL

Er... It is a lot worse than just being called "noob". People do not get banned for using the word "noob"...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

What prompted the recent increase in threads regarding community?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Originally posted by dave6660

What prompted the recent increase in threads regarding community?

Not sure, but it is interesting.

• LauraFrostLauraFrost Member Posts: 95

Troll Thread?

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983

This is a rant, not mad at the OP.  Good subject OP and not talking to you when I rant.

I don't like the way I have been treated in the gaming world but I HATE IT when people police every little thing I say or do.  I will GLADLY take the trolls, immature brats, and fag haters with OPEN ARMS before I let someone legislate my game to death.  Keep POLITICS out of my damn game!  I don't need anyone else telling me what I can and cannot do!!!

Control freaks and yard Nazis can go manicure your grass some more and leave gamers alone.  Whether or not the community is broke, gawd, plz don't bring your high and mightyness in to fix it.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384

Stand ovation 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Well times are different for me.  I am older than most of the people here and back in the day, if we acted like that our coaches would have kicked our butts.  There was this thing called good sportsmanship.  If you win, you don't gloat.  If you lose, you suck it up and learn.  GGnoobs is not sucking it up or being manly.  What you as a strengh I see as children getting coodled and allowed to do anything they want without consequences.  But society has changed so much....

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Good thread. This politically correct BS has to stop at some point, I'm tired of crybabies who think others should be punished when they are a mute or ignore away from not having to see it. There are exceptions, I don't think true racism is okay at any point, but I'm tired of everyone saying "reported" in every game every time someone says fag or noob.

I'm a mostly PvE MMO player, and it's stupid that people get offended so easily. Grow up. If you can't take an insult or just ignore the person, you shouldn't even be on a computer. Also, if I hear another woman freak about sexism while she flirts with every dude in game and streams in a tube top or tiny strapped tank top or even has to constantly remind people "I'm a girl LOL", I'm gonna lose it. You wanted equal treatment, and when you get it, you cry about it. Christ.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Op, while I agree with you, is there really a need to create a 3rd active thread on this topic?
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

This is a rant, not mad at the OP.  Good subject OP and not talking to you when I rant.

I don't like the way I have been treated in the gaming world but I HATE IT when people police every little thing I say or do.  I will GLADLY take the trolls, immature brats, and fag haters with OPEN ARMS before I let someone legislate my game to death.  Keep POLITICS out of my damn game!  I don't need anyone else telling me what I can and cannot do!!!

Control freaks and yard Nazis can go manicure your grass some more and leave gamers alone.  Whether or not the community is broke, gawd, plz don't bring your high and mightyness in to fix it.

You were doing great right up to the part where nazis were mentioned.  Let's keep this problem in context.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• bansanbansan Member Posts: 367

Because most people aren't that cool.  I'm sure LoL was like that at first, but things always escalate.  With conflict, it either goes down and dissipates, or it escalates.  And suddenly you find them outside your door with a message in a bottle (read, molotov cocktail) and making nice with the family pet.

Players always force the company to step in and prevent any escalations, which usually means silence.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

This topic should be about "quit trying to fix what can't be fixed".

Online community is toxic nowdays and it enhances in situations where you add competitive enviroment with random players, where a single mistake can lose the game.

This combined with zero liability of your actions and the mix ain't too good.

Personally I think anyone who wishes someone to get a cancer and die should get their account removed, all the money they've spent on it lost and getting permabanned from the game altogether.

The problem is that worst that can happend for example in LoL is that you lose your account (after your 15th offense) and you need to create a new one.

I loved the system they have/had in korea where you needed your social security number to create an account and if you got banned you pretty much lost your possiblities to play that game ever again. This is why Korean games have great communities and people won't get hostile for some shitty reason.

If you look for example Korean LoL matches they surrender the game if the opponent played excellent early game just out of respect to their opponent. It's not because they don't have _any_ chance of winning, it's because they bow in honor their opponent who played extremely well and there's no reason to lenghten the game any further.

In western world people have two options.

A) They surrender and rage at their team.

B) They continue the game raging and ranting and forcing it to 60minutes because they want to troll their enemies and rage at their team.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

Really, that's the crux of your argument?

These gaming communities are starting to become "Lord of the Flies". Kids without any supervision suddenly going nuts.

Or else one great big explosioin of the Id.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

Having someone banned over calling someone else a "noob" is a gross understatement of the problem. It's more like someone saying "Your mother should have swallowed you, go kill yourself!" after making a simple mistake. There has to be some form of responsibility for your actions, which include words. I think it's sad that gamers are under the impression that words don't matter when the whole RPG genre is based on works like J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings". A world created with mere words.

Perhaps if we did like Korea(?) and tied our gaming accounts to our SS numbers, people would realize that they're liable for their behavior. Stop thinking that because you're behind a monitor that you hold no responsibility for what happens after you hit send. If you're that hard up for a place to take out your anger & frustration there are much better activites where others won't be hurt. It's sad that some of these people are fully grown adults and still don't realize that other people's feelings matter.

I'm not saying that everything has to be rainbows and butterflies all the time. Criticism can actually help people improve, it's how you go about it. There is a line that people simply disregard. I hope it's more out of ignorance than a lack of empathy.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

This topic should be about "quit trying to fix what can't be fixed".

Online community is toxic nowdays and it enhances in situations where you add competitive enviroment with random players, where a single mistake can lose the game.

This combined with zero liability of your actions and the mix ain't too good.

Personally I think anyone who wishes someone to get a cancer and die should get their account removed, all the money they've spent on it lost and getting permabanned from the game altogether.

The problem is that worst that can happend for example in LoL is that you lose your account (after your 15th offense) and you need to create a new one.

I loved the system they have/had in korea where you needed your social security number to create an account and if you got banned you pretty much lost your possiblities to play that game ever again. This is why Korean games have great communities and people won't get hostile for some shitty reason.

If you look for example Korean LoL matches they surrender the game if the opponent played excellent early game just out of respect to their opponent. It's not because they don't have _any_ chance of winning, it's because they bow in honor their opponent who played extremely well and there's no reason to lenghten the game any further.

In western world people have two options.

A) They surrender and rage at their team.

B) They continue the game raging and ranting and forcing it to 60minutes because they want to troll their enemies and rage at their team.

c) they continue to game and ignore what the others around them are doing.

d) in PvP they continue to play their best and be a good sport about losing.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.