Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do today's gamer's even play MMO's for PVE anymore or is it all about ganking and pvp now?

Comments

• sakinahsakinah Member UncommonPosts: 39

The problem isnt pvp..The problem to me is that today  its all about harassing/ganking/insulting/trolling/greifing...Back in the days ppl would congratulate each other on thier acomplishment.Today they just insult/troll you for every little thing you fail.(Dota/LoL/HoN anyone?) :p

I love pvp in mmo or in any game in general but i really dont like this trend of  "I FKIN OWND YOU BITCH!I FKED YOUR MOM LAST NIGHT!YEAH!!!".

I think its poisonus and is slowly transforming totaly decent players into trolls.

If anything i want more pvp in my mmos but i just dont like the kind of crowd that it brings haha.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

I like PvE but run out content too soon now with new games...sad
    PvP I loved most at GW and WoW, we got lot of fun back in time.

So far I never tried PvP servers and I think it's for reason: most of f2p sell you might for PvP.

Keep waiting for game with large content, but may be I dream too much..

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by Isturi

It seems that todays gamers are just for pvp and ganking anymore. It seems that lore and pve has taken a back seat with MMO gaming anymore. Do gamers of today even care about lore or pve or do they perfer to just get the game role a class and go out and try to gank someone for a cheap thrill? I get the impresion that DEV are catering most MMO games now to the pvp crowd.

Am I wrong?

Please name one AAA mmo that does not feature PvE as its main content.

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by sakinah

The problem isnt pvp..The problem to me is that today  its all about harassing/ganking/insulting/trolling/greifing...Back in the days ppl would congratulate each other on thier acomplishment.Today they just insult/troll you for every little thing you fail.(Dota/LoL/HoN anyone?) :p

I love pvp in mmo or in any game in general but i really dont like this trend of  "I FKIN OWND YOU BITCH!I FKED YOUR MOM LAST NIGHT!YEAH!!!".

I think its poisonus and is slowly transforming totaly decent players into trolls.

If anything i want more pvp in my mmos but i just dont like the kind of crowd that it brings haha.

Welcome to the new generation of MMO players. "a.k.a the WoW kiddos" :) 

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Biskop
    The whole premise of the thread is wrong. Practically all current AAA games are PvE centric, with PvP tacked on as a side dish.

But I guess the op think having 95% of the market catering to his tastes isn't enough.. .

This, and if the near future has some OWPvP games coming out, then it's the fault of the PvE players for getting bored of their PvE content and moving on to another game leading the developers to aim at a neglected sector of the market.

That sadly is one of the dangers of playing MMOs with your Dad.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    All I know is I've had a lot more FUN in pvp guilds.

Hardcore Pve guilds are too much like WORK, you have to turn up at fixed times, you have to work with arseholes, you get screamed at by your 19 year old "boss" on vent.

For a long time the hardcore raiders have been the squeekiest wheel that gets oiled on mmo forums despite being only about 5% of mmo players, probably because many big mmos are managed by raiders, e.g. wow / rift / eq.

But I've the times changing lately with casual players, pvpers, ecconomy centrist players etc.. getting a bit more proportional slice of the pie.

And the hardcores don't like it, hence they jump all over every single bloody beta of a game trying to get pvp marginalised and shoved into the background. It's a bit like if you spoil your kids for 8 years then turn around and ask them to earn their pocket money.
    Is this trash talk thing an American thing? I don't see it on eu ps2 servers or gw2 or ages back war even.
  • BaneInsaneBaneInsane Member Posts: 11

i just stick to PVE.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
      Total carebear here.  Haven't  pvp'd in a MMO in 3 years.  I play world of tanks  for my Pvp action

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

Originally posted by BaneInsane

i dont Jerk off on PKing those weaker then me so i just stick to PVE.

A good PvP game, designed that way from the ground up, is rarely like that. That issue is generally to be found in the PvP servers of a PvE designed game.

• iamthekilleriamthekiller Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

WoW literally brought all the kids to the genre.

In the early days (UO, EQ, SWG, DAoC), most MMO gamers were "nerds" and adults. The overall attitude was mostly passive. There was still ganking etc, but it wasn't second nature to all.

WoW released. It was a much more dumbed down version of any MMO ever experienced. It wasn't bad or anything, but just simpler. It ended up spreading like wildfire within the middle school / high school community. It's just that the Newer Generation of kids are all prissy and sassy.

I literally cannot stand this generation of kids. When I see that damn Justin Beiber haircut, I just want to rage and bury my fist right in their face... over and over and over and over again.

Bro & Brah...     Idiot Language.

Wow did indeed bring many new people to the genre...of all different ages. The thing is though, even though these people act like kids...many of them are not even close to "kids"...they are fully grown adults that just choose to act immature over the net. Still wow did definately open up the genre to the type you describe..

However, I don't think your attitude is much better..your posts stinks of elitism and generalization...if thats the hallmark of the older generation then you know...throwing stones and all.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

FPS players and mentality are infecting the RPG market. And it's silly to blame the kids because I feel most of them are adults. I know some hardcore FPS players and thats the kind of atttitude they have.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

It seems that todays gamers are just for pvp and ganking anymore. It seems that lore and pve has taken a back seat with MMO gaming anymore. Do gamers of today even care about lore or pve or do they perfer to just get the game role a class and go out and try to gank someone for a cheap thrill? I get the impresion that DEV are catering most MMO games now to the pvp crowd.

Am I wrong?

Very wrong. So wrong, that I am really curious what, if anything, your post was based on.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by dave6660
    The whole premise of the thread is wrong. Practically all current AAA games are PvE centric, with PvP tacked on as a side dish.

But I guess the op think having 95% of the market catering to his tastes isn't enough.. .

Yeah it does take the expression, "crying with a loaf a bread under each arm" to whole different level.

Indeed.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

What ref says.
    Magical flip a switch "pvp" servers where they expect great pvp to just happen, such as wow and its various clones.

To do pvp right you have to design for it, not just flip a switch. With a flip a "magical pvp" switch game, these guys are bored so they just gank people for shits and giggles.

In a well designed game, they kill people for economic reasons and the prominence of theory guild e.g. eve or for fictional benefits, with knock on economic benefits e.g. daoc.
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311

I'd have to say for myself I would probably be 80% PvE and 20% PvP. I agree with what seems to be most everyone else in that it really is annoying to hear or see in chat, "I pwned you! You suck...blah blah blah."

Just for that its one of the main reasons I don't PvP because I like to be immersed in the MMO game I am playing and that kind of talk takes me out of the immersion when I realize I'm playing against a 12 year old.

Also, my biggest complain with PvP is the notion of PvP "zones". If I really wanted to play capture the flag or team deathmatch I would play Halo or an MMOFPS. For an MMORPG PvP "zones" again take away from the immersion and is so "WoW-like" which I feel in this day and age is finally a BAD thing. Open World PvP is the wave of the future and I'm hoping ESO brings that to the table and the the devs listen to the petition going on now on being able to explore all of Tamriel regardless of faction or reputation.

Obviously they should lock out lower level zones so people are not ganked repeatedly when leveling, but once you are within 10 levels of the cap it should be completely free-for-all just like in the real world. If I'm going from point A to point B in a high level area why not have a possibility of getting ganked.

It adds so much to the immersion of the game in that the virtual world acts like the real world where anything can happen at any time.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

You are probably wrong. WOW is still 10M ... and most WOW is about pve.

Personally i play STO for the story missions .. so pve again. Surely there are pvp MMO like PS2, but there are still a lot of players doing Pve.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by RefMinor

That sadly is one of the dangers of playing MMOs with your Dad.

Haha

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Am I wrong?

Yes.  There has always been and likely always will be far far more people that regularly pve than people that regularly pvp.

Pvp will be popular but IMO the majority of people will only pvp occasionally and/or on their own tersm (consent, bg, instances, specific zones...).

Pve is by far the majority.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

The PvP crowd generally is more vocal because balance and issues like bugs/exploits have a much more negative experience on PvP than they generally do in PvE.

Also, in perfectly balanced PvP you'd win only 50% of the time and lose 50% of the time.

So a lot of the time, the bitching and moaning is about their own comparitive lack of skill (which is almost always inflated by the person who assumes they are only losing due to balance issues.)

That's how I see it anyway - most of the games have PvP as a side item and are heavily PvE focused, but you hear about it a LOT more when there are "issues" even perceived ones on the PvP side of things.

Competition will always brew disent - because there is always a loser.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

WoW literally brought all the kids to the genre.

In the early days (UO, EQ, SWG, DAoC), most MMO gamers were "nerds" and adults. The overall attitude was mostly passive. There was still ganking etc, but it wasn't second nature to all.

WoW released. It was a much more dumbed down version of any MMO ever experienced. It wasn't bad or anything, but just simpler. It ended up spreading like wildfire within the middle school / high school community. It's just that the Newer Generation of kids are all prissy and sassy.

I literally cannot stand this generation of kids. When I see that damn Justin Beiber haircut, I just want to rage and bury my fist right in their face... over and over and over and over again.

Bro & Brah...     Idiot Language.

Personally I think this is compeletey total and absolutely wrong.

The average gamer today is mid-30's.  People playing EQ were just as young, if not younger than today's average gamer.  There was less ganking in EQ because there were only 3-4 pvp servers and they were the least populated, yet on those servers there was a whole lot of ganking of lower levels going on. 

Bro and Brah is from 20 years ago language, was much more common back then.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • SatchoSatcho Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Originally posted by RefMinor

This, and if the near future has some OWPvP games coming out, then it's the fault of the PvE players for getting bored of their PvE content and moving on to another game leading the developers to aim at a neglected sector of the market.

Agree with both of you. The whole thread is based on a false statement.

Hopefully, Trion will not westernize the crap out of ArcheAge and keep it as true to its designers' intentions as possible.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Only a few games i've played that handled PVP all that well, WoW, tbh, was not one of them, too many of those types of games, SW;TOR included well most themepark games that i've played tbh, treat PVP as a minigame, where the result is really more down to what gear they have than any real skill. Have been playing a lot of Planetside 2 lately, the game has a lot of problems, lack of stability is definitely one of them, the last patch actually increased the rate the game crashes to desktop.. but, in an outfit it is kind of fun, even if the game is missing a few things, even so, i'd choose that over the PVP in WoW etc.. image
  • AvestriaAvestria Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I play MMO's only for PVE, I stray away from PVP and such as I dislike it. PVP brings out the worst in people xD.