Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do today's gamer's even play MMO's for PVE anymore or is it all about ganking and pvp now?

IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

It seems that todays gamers are just for pvp and ganking anymore. It seems that lore and pve has taken a back seat with MMO gaming anymore. Do gamers of today even care about lore or pve or do they perfer to just get the game role a class and go out and try to gank someone for a cheap thrill? I get the impresion that DEV are catering most MMO games now to the pvp crowd.

Am I wrong?

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

WoW literally brought all the kids to the genre.

In the early days (UO, EQ, SWG, DAoC), most MMO gamers were "nerds" and adults. The overall attitude was mostly passive. There was still ganking etc, but it wasn't second nature to all.

WoW released. It was a much more dumbed down version of any MMO ever experienced. It wasn't bad or anything, but just simpler. It ended up spreading like wildfire within the middle school / high school community. [mod edit]

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

If you don't like PvP then don't do it.

How many mmorpg's released in the past 5 years have forced PvP on you?  They're not hard to avoid.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by dave6660

How many mmorpg's released in the past 5 years have forced PvP on you?  They're not hard to avoid.

I acualy do like pvp if done right. I was just posing a qustion if DEVS gear MMO's now twords pvp instead of pve.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

I used to play a lot of PvP, then I got some hair in between my legs and it lost it's luster. Most of what I play is PvE as I can't stand the child like attitude of most PvPr's these days. PvP is different now than during DAoC, where people actually fought with honor at least half the time. Now it's just who can play a rogue and pop out on someone trying to level. Boring.

I voted both because once in a while I'll PvP on Rift, although I can't really recommend the game for it's PvP haha. Stellar PvE content though.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's all about pvp, exploring and crafting for me.

I find solo pve in mmos Extremely Boring, you get a much better experience in sprpgs.

I like dungeons for a change, to run a couple of times, but I hate grinding them repetitively.

I hate raiding, mainly because of all the politics and asshats you have to put up with if you want to do it
  • Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

I am primarily drawn to a game by it's commitment to gameplay. it's lore, and it's player base.

Whether it be PvE or PvP, though it must have PvE elements for me, regardless (and a playerbase of normal > asshats).

Best examples of PvE/PvP games,

DAoC (by far in the lead, nothing comes close)

a far second,

Sullon Zek server EQ1,

WoW Vanilla (b4 the dishonorable kill),

WARHammer,

and Aika.

I give honorable mention to LotRO's monster team, but that PvP game is very far removed from the game itself,  but it's fun for a day.

I have played a ton of other PvE/PvP games, but their version of PvP or their PvP community is why I left their games, whereas the PvE brought me to them.

In short, no I do not play pure PvP games, it must have elements of PvE in them (i.e. story, lore).

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Pleny of folks engage solely with PvE in these games... I just think PvEers on the whole choose not to interact with the hardcore must have PvP community that tend to dominate forums because they cannot be arsed with the toxic posturing hostile culture that seems to go hand in hand with that play model.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

Aion

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    By nature PvP'ers are loud and confrontational and put out a disproprtionate amount of noise. This leads to them being 'heard' more. Things do change and  developers do listen and sometimes it is detrimental. The problem is, as more 'money' men make the choices on game design and less 'creatives', so the lound voices are heard because the money men think loud =many.
  • MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

IMO, the wishes and desires of PvE'ers are the most important to any game being developed.  The casual pve crowd is by far the majority in almost every mmo.  The availability of open pvp is shrinking or is segregated from pve content. 

To me, pvp makes normal pve and leveling content bearable.  I always thought that different server rulesets satisfied everyone.  Guess not.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I disagree with ops premise anyway.

Let's look at post wow games.
    Heavily pve, token pvp.
    - rift, swtor, tsw, Aoc, dcuo, co, vanguard, sto, lotro, tr, tera, wow itself
    Heavily pvp
    - darkfall, warhammer, perpetuum, planetside 2
    Balance of both
    - gw2, Aion
  • OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Pleny of folks engage solely with PvE in these games... I just think PvEers on the whole choose not to interact with the hardcore must have PvP community that tend to dominate forums because they cannot be arsed with the toxic posturing hostile culture that seems to go hand in hand with that play model.

I'd agree with this.

I only bother with PvP these days when I'm drunk or having a good day, so I can laugh at my own ineptitude or manically cackle when I end up killing some little turd who starts trying to bait me.

I'm too old now and too slow for most pvp, I wasn't bad back in my L2/DAOC days but pvp systems are just built on shifting sands and lead to far too much frustration for me.

Most MMOs are built for casual PVE anyway,(which is the most popular playstyle and developers want to appeal to the highest number of players), and the PVP modes are tacked on to appeal to a certain subset that won't be happy with the half-arsed approach.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143
    I only play PvE
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

Aion

Using this site's game list as a reference point, I counted roughtly 250 games released since Jan 2008.

Like I said, not hard to avoid.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

The poll is coming out pretty much as expected. As has been said, pvpers are like all vocal minorities - you think there are a lot more of them than there actually are.

Also I think in this era of lazy devs and money-hungry suits, companies have worked out that pvp is the cheapest way to achieve longevity in a game. No need to design tons of content if you can have people pvping in the same area over and over....

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

80% of this forums people do not know what ganking, ganked, or gank means. Everytime they die they say "I got ganked".

Lot of people use this misconception to turn others off from games also, and people associate ganking with sandboxes which is untrue.

I have read people saying in AOW they were ganked 3 times in the first 5 minutes of logging in, which is untrue.

People do not group and want to solo everything in a pvp game and get killed is stupidity not being unlucky.

If you dont pay attention to your surroundings and get attacked whos fault is that?

PvP is not PvE and needs to be treated differently.

I have not been truely "ganked" in several years. But i always see the same people claim they were ganked, corpsecamped, and griefed. In a large open world why is it trouble always seems to follow you?

I realy think the ganking is used to loosly. Many of you associate ganking with pvp and full loot with open world games. PvP can be fun if done correctly, work together with others, keep an eye out for incoming players, try to avoid hot spots, and know your skills properly.  Not saying it doesnt happen, just seems it happens far to many times to certain people. So far a month in AOW as an example and I havent died once, but so many say its a gankfest game......................image

• VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348

I normally only play PVE, and I don't bother with PVP, but for 2 exceptions.

Asherons Call PvP rocked, infact if I remember rightly yhte game was meant to be released as a PVP game, but they changed thier minds at the 11thhour as they thought it might be niche, and so made it a PVE with PVP (though did have a dedicated PVP server that rocked)

And the my favourite, but bugged to hell and back, game, SHADOWBANE! love SB was a great game in it's time, getting massive amounts of poeple together to siege a castle ROCKED, man I miss SB subbed till the day it closed RIP SB.

Other than that no to PVP, tried WoW PVP and getting ganked by a little kid, then spending the time to learn the pvp so I can beat the little kid only to have his dad come online and rage that I'd beaten his little kiddy really turned me off, was fun to pwn the fuck out of the kid though LOL

“Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I disagree with ops premise anyway.

Let's look at post wow games.
    Heavily pve, token pvp.
    - rift, swtor, tsw, dcuo, co, vanguard, sto, lotro, tr, tera, wow itself
    Heavily pvp
    - darkfall, warhammer, perpetuum, planetside 2
    Balance of both
    - gw2, Aion, AoC

Fixed for you, you were so close! But AoC has some fun ass PvP my friend :)

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    The whole premise of the thread is wrong. Practically all current AAA games are PvE centric, with PvP tacked on as a side dish.

But I guess the op think having 95% of the market catering to his tastes isn't enough.. .
    Originally posted by vorpal28

I normally only play PVE, and I don't bother with PVP, but for 2 exceptions.

Asherons Call PvP rocked, infact if I remember rightly yhte game was meant to be released as a PVP game, but they changed thier minds at the 11thhour as they thought it might be niche, and so made it a PVE with PVP (though did have a dedicated PVP server that rocked)

And the my favourite, but bugged to hell and back, game, SHADOWBANE! love SB was a great game in it's time, getting massive amounts of poeple together to siege a castle ROCKED, man I miss SB subbed till the day it closed RIP SB.

Other than that no to PVP, tried WoW PVP and getting ganked by a little kid, then spending the time to learn the pvp so I can beat the little kid only to have his dad come online and rage that I'd beaten his little kiddy really turned me off, was fun to pwn the fuck out of the kid though LOL

Shadowbane was the most ambitious MMO project I have seen. It's a shame no one has picked up the idea again. I loved that game, and my winged Templar raining hell from above.

Originally posted by Biskop
    The whole premise of the thread is wrong. Practically all current AAA games are PvE centric, with PvP tacked on as a side dish.

But I guess the op think having 95% of the market catering to his tastes isn't enough.. .

Yeah it does take the expression, "crying with a loaf a bread under each arm" to whole different level.

-- Herman Melville

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122
    Acctaully i think a chinese company bought the shadowbane IP.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Most of the kids who started with WoW are adults now. People need to stop talking about all the kids that started with WoW. lol

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Most of the kids who started with WoW are adults now. People need to stop talking about all the kids that started with WoW. lol

Yet they still believe they are "Gods of pvp" because they had high arena score.... funny

UO, that was proper PVP with real death penaltys. Looted, lost ur horse, and you have to run naked and humiliated back to town to get a resurrection from the healer.

Atleast it was based on player skill, not ur stupid gear.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

WoW literally brought all the kids to the genre.

In the early days (UO, EQ, SWG, DAoC), most MMO gamers were "nerds" and adults. The overall attitude was mostly passive. There was still ganking etc, but it wasn't second nature to all.

WoW released. It was a much more dumbed down version of any MMO ever experienced. It wasn't bad or anything, but just simpler. It ended up spreading like wildfire within the middle school / high school community. It's just that the Newer Generation of kids are all prissy and sassy.

I literally cannot stand this generation of kids. When I see that damn Justin Beiber haircut, I just want to rage and bury my fist right in their face... over and over and over and over again.

Bro & Brah...     Idiot Language.

WOW brought in kids? Bull feces. Vanilla WOW brought in the adults that were not nerds. It brought in wowen in numbers. Barrens Chat notwithstanding WOW had more adults in it than any other mmo at the time. CATA is where things went downhill. Blizzard dumbed WOW down and the player bases tilted toward the lowest common denominator. They may not all be kids, but the maturity level is close to it.

Back to the point. I play for pve. I just finished my time with GW2, which I enjoyed immensely, without doing a single minute of pvp. If ANET had not put in forced grouping to complete the Dailies I would still be there.