Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: The Power of Flight

2»

Comments

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

Exploration is terrible in WoW, flying mounts or not...whether they aim to reoncile that, well that would be a great thing because WoW needs some of that love, main reason I stopped playing.

WoW has such a massive world, and so little of it is used.  As soon as you are done an area you basically never go back unless to farm mats.  So many old raids and dungeons that no one gets to experience anymore.

WoW, for it to regain health needs to do to things in my opinion.  Add some sort of scaling, so  players can go back and enjoy old raids and dungeons as they were designed, and exploration.  They need to break the static world they have.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    I agree with OP, flying mounths should not be available from start in new zone. However maybe good compromise was Wotlk where you had to level first alt to max to be able to buy learning book and send via ingame mail to own alts to learn flying sooner.
  • MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Originally posted by Isturi
    I forgot how many times I took my ground mounts back in the day from Iron forge to Wetlands back in Vanilla. I remember how many times I died lol trying to get there. LOL

Remember when "carrot on a stick" was a prized trinket?

That trinket was awesome ! I had it on my first warlock for years and years up until Cata. I also like the spurs BSes could make. And the warlock epic mount quest. Having a mount meant so much. Heck, I rolled my lock partly because I knew I could get the basic mount more easily than other people could get theirs.

Travel should mean something in games. I like flying mounts to a degree, but WoW's flying mounts are a little too fast for WoW's worldsize.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

The concept of flying mounts by itself is instantly likeable. I mean, sitting on the back of a damn dragon or something, swooping through the sky screams "cool".

But for me, flying mounts in WoW quickly became like taking an airplane somewhere: you look down through your window now and then if you spot something out of the ordinary, but for most of the trip, you sit back and try to take a nap. After you've taken the plane a number of times, you don't even care to look down any longer.

I'm not a fan of flying mounts for that reason, it really lessened the experience of a living, breathing world.

I do feel like flying could be implemented in MMO's without impeding exploration. Like the gliders you see in archeage, where you want to find the highest mountain top you can dream of to glide down it. Or if the game has been built with flying in mind, like Aion (there were a lot of troubles with flying in Aion, but I didn't feel like it killed exploration).

You could even introduce gameplay elements like building a huge flying ship with your guild, etc.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    I forgot how many times I took my ground mounts back in the day from Iron forge to Wetlands back in Vanilla. I remember how many times I died lol trying to get there. LOL

Remember when "carrot on a stick" was a prized trinket?

OMG yes I do remember it. Good times.

• rsrestonrsreston Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Agreed! Good read.

• Mike_LMike_L Member UncommonPosts: 72

The thing you mention is one of the reasons why I have gone back to WoW Classic (or vanilla if you like). I simply missed those kind of things too much and since Blizzard won't add a classic option I was forced to go private.

If it ain't dead you're not pressing 2 hard enough.

• SmintarSmintar Member UncommonPosts: 214
    I too started in March of 04 created a troll Hunter, those were the best days of wow for me. I agree with just about everyting you said in your column and a good read. In the begining,One thing that bother me was not being able to really explore the world, to many limitations. After getting to a strong lvl like 25 I swam around Kalimdor I dont remember how long it took me but I wanted to see other parts that I couldnt see otherwise. When BC came out with Flight I was truly pleased the way they did it and I got to fly around and really got to look down from 30000 feet  :)  Made farming soo much easier. When Lich King came out I didnt have a problem with it personally it was a earn your way for flight, as is all of the xpansions. What was really nice is when they allow you to fly over the old worlds and trust me I spent just flying around and touring . I didnt care so much for Cat or mop I too have thought that these 2 xpansion took away from the original theme of Warcraft.  I was really looking forward to something stronger than Lich King but To me they have dumb down the game way to much but they must be doing something right to hold to that large subscriber base theres no other MMO out there that can match it?? <- not sure if any other has that large customer base.