Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LONG LIVE ToA

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Comments

• jhtwofourjhtwofour Member Posts: 1
    Love it.
  • Epic surprise knowing it might come back!
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Thanks for the heads up. The MMO landscape has been through a lot of changers since their intiial foray into it and I think ToA's returning at a perfect time. Expecting a lot of good things from this team.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    TOA= Trials of Atlantis. What's wrong with you folks?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Good point. Most people here are familiar with ToA as Trials of Atlantis, so the thread title is probably confusing.

We're referring to this: http://trialsofascension.com/features

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KezzadrixKezzadrix Member Posts: 90
    This is the first game i've been excited about in a really long time.  I hope they start their kickstarer soon.
  • TehniqTehniq Member Posts: 2
    Let's make this thing happen!! 
  • RashmeindRashmeind Member Posts: 18
    I remember talking about this during my lunch hour in high school back in '05! haha, so pumped for this :D
  • ChochChoch Member UncommonPosts: 157

I am excited for this game but I don't want to get too excited because I feel like it is still far from beta/release. Would anyone say this is accurate?

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Good point. Most people here are familiar with ToA as Trials of Atlantis, so the thread title is probably confusing.

Completely lost me at perma-death. Unless that's a seperate server, that won't work with an MMO. Maybe a hack and slash, but not something that actually requires time and effort. I will say I like some of the other ideas though!

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• PsiKahnPsiKahn Member Posts: 126

Originally posted by GimiZigi

I am excited for this game but I don't want to get too excited because I feel like it is still far from beta/release. Would anyone say this is accurate?

Originally posted by Aeonblades

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Completely lost me at perma-death. Unless that's a seperate server, that won't work with an MMO. Maybe a hack and slash, but not something that actually requires time and effort. I will say I like some of the other ideas though!

They won't be able to start full development until they get funded on Kickstarter, so yeah it's a bit early in that sense, but they're going to need some buzz and excitement if they're going to meet their Kickstarter goal.  So I would say it's not too soon to get a little excited.

I can understand why limiting the player to 100 lives may seem unappealing to some players, but I think if you look over the features it's the tool that makes the other features work (meaningful trade, powerful magic, settlement pride).  This is a different kind of game than what we're used to, and it requires different rules.  We've all gotten pretty accustomed to certain things in massive online games, but I'm glad that some developers are taking risks and trying to step outside of that to see if there's more out there.  This may not be the game for you, but I don't think you can assume that it won't work at all... it's barely been tried before!

• PeskeyPixiePeskeyPixie Member Posts: 24

So many great features in this game! I don't think that perma death is going to be a bad thing at all. In fact, I would say that Forged Chaos LLC is taking MMORPGs to a place that is not your mainstream cookie-cutter land of no loss and stale end games. They can use their innovation system to dynamically and organically add new content without soaking the players for the additional $60 for that next expansion! I mean..."C'Mon Man!" What are you doing with all of those monthly subscriptions that you need to charge us the additional fee for an expansion??

I feel like the devs at Forged Chaos listen to what their fans say and are making Trials of Ascension not so much for us as they are for themselves. They are just going to share it with us because they want us to have fun too!

Oh...almost forgot...they released some awsome pre-alpha screan shots today to celebrate their 1,000th forum member! You should go check out their Media page at www.trialsofascension.com

• ChochChoch Member UncommonPosts: 157

Perma-death is definitely something a lot of people immediately freak out about and jump ship with ToA but I HIGHLY recommend investigating the game and its features. That's all. When you read each and every feature, you will be blown away by its innovation and new way of thinking. Not only that but the Dev's really do listen to its players and they are VERY transparent with the players. They don't reveal EVERYTHING of course but they are very straight forward and they don't beat around the bush.

This is all a fantastic recipe for a fantastic game and I highly recommend checking it out. After you do, perma-death would not be a big a deal as most people think!

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

I like everything about this game, other than the 100 deaths and your deleted.  There has to be a better way to do permadeath where your not losing months of gameplay (unless they make it so shallow and easy to progress it doesnt matter)

Some of their intended systems i like.

I get the feeling this game is going to be half baked and dated should it ever see the light of day.

I just think there are a lot of better ways to go about a permadeath system that doesnt involve either the game being incredibly shallow to make permadeath a non-uninstal event, or make where everyone just logs off their character on the 99th death and starts over again.

Just off the top of my head...i would like to see the soul of a character and the phyical character seperated.  Permadeath = you lose all your physical items and your body, soul and its progress live on.  Perhaps there could even be a fun secondary system with getting that soul into a phyical body again...i dunno just a random thought.

If this game survives to see light, i can see a whole lot of overly cautious gameplay, which to me isnt really all that fun.  I just think the 100 lives thing is kinda lame i guess...im sure there will be a cash shop revive or extra lives ect as well. 

Other than that a decent looking feature list on this...seen a lot of great feature lists play like crap due to being half baked and launched just to make some money to keep going...never works out well.

• BowenTheKotocBowenTheKotoc Member Posts: 2
    You're worried about losing the progress you've made on your character if it perma-dies. I would argue that the perma-death mechanic is the only thing that makes real progress in a MMO possible. Let me try to explain what I mean: In WoW and other EQ clones, you level up, get gear, beat the newest raid, and then wait for the next thing... and so does everybody else. As long as you have the time to play you will eventually get to the end game (like everybody else) and have the same gear as everybody else, the same maxed out spells, skills, etc... In ToA, if someone achieves somethiing it will have real meaning exactly because not everybody can do it and because it can be lost. It's the end of the work day so I'm not sure I can be more eloquent than that right now, but hopefully someone else can riff off my meaning and expand.