Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] URDEAD Online: Introducing URDead Online

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Zombie MMOs are sort of a hot topic these days, and lots of companies seem to want in on the action. Today, we're presenting a novel take on the genre, URDead Online. Being billed as a "small scale online role-playing horror game" or SSORPHG, URDead has quite a few interesting design ideas that seek to set it apart from the throng of zombie shooters out there.

URDEAD Online (UDO) is something we’re half-jokingly calling a SMORPHS: Small-Scale Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Horror Survival (the “Game” is silent.) As our tidy acronym implies, UDO won’t release with the scale of bigger MMOs. We just don’t have the manpower to create dozens of areas; instead, we’ll release new areas as we polish them and feel they are ready for players to be eaten in. Second, UDO is a survival game.  When out in the world, players will want to stay aware of their character. They’ll need to eat and drink whatever they can find to stay effective, scouring for weapons, ammo, crafting materials, and other necessities – while fighting to stay alive. Banding together will have big advantages in certain situations.

Read the rest of our Interview with URDead Online's Greg Breault.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

U R DEAD

Sounds like,

WAR Z

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I'm sorry but I just don't get any of this sometimes. I expect the red carpet at an affordable price. Why ? Well because there are so many options that are already doing that. See GW2, Wow, Eve, ...... You new guys can't just throw whatever out here and expect people to keep buying into it. URDEAD that's quite a fitting name.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

In other words.. we want to make an MMO and release it early, before it's an MMO.. open the cash shop, take your money and gradually update it until it can be called an MMO. Which is basically what War Z did.. except they didn't tell us.

True.. they are making this blatently obvious from the start but, still, it's a pretty terrible way to promote your game imo. Hero engine 'might' shine with this type of game though.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • releasemereleaseme Member Posts: 8
    Slow news day eh?
  • redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230
    may be they should call this one R U Kidding.
  • KrellenKrellen Member Posts: 84

Lows like a zombie themepark that will be releasing one zone at a time. 

Despite that is still looks interesting.

• Kenshin_HimuraKenshin_Himura Member Posts: 75
    What's next Dead R US lol

• ChochChoch Member UncommonPosts: 157

I am always open to this idea of zombie games. I just think WarZ took most, if not all the zombie-mmo hype and took a dump on it so people are still stinking after that whole fiasco which I can understand.

I don't care what approach is taken, as long as it is done well and thourough.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Cool....Another post apocalypytic/zombie game. Great. The market isn't saturated with this garbage already. Catch up already, no real gamer has played a zombie game since left 4 dead, and even then, zombies were pretty played out. For the love of all that is holy someone get a new idea!

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122
    It looks like War Z, smells like War Z, pretty much played as War Z....Very original
  • marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

For all those who didn't take the time to actually read the whole interview. This will be differfent from WarZ and DayZ. Seriously, read people! It sounds promising.

• Kenshin_HimuraKenshin_Himura Member Posts: 75
    I was going to say the same nothing like the other zombie games it's not a shooter game I would say more like fallen earth. Also you can get infected and become a zombie and play like zombie lol that sounds cool.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    And here comes another kickstarter... watch... and a failed product. This is simply my opinion as that is how I see it.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by ikarrian
    It looks like War Z, smells like War Z, pretty much played as War Z....Very original

except the only thing in common with War Z is that you have to survive and there are zombies?

For a starts this is a tab target game from reading this interview.. not an fps like War Z and DayZ.

Still i think there are now enough Zombie survival games out there and with DayZ out this year i cant see there being room for any more..

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Sounds like the first real Zombie MMO. Not a lobby game calling itself an MMO.

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Do we really need another doosh bag pvp hack fest title? ???
  • Sauteed_OnionSauteed_Onion Member Posts: 33
    Most MMO's are zombie husks of the idea of MMORPG's anyways, canabalizing eachother in an endless cycle that they call creativity. /le' weep.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by marz.at.play

For all those who didn't take the time to actually read the whole interview. This will be differfent from WarZ and DayZ. Seriously, read people! It sounds promising.

What Marz said. It really does sound promising, and Greg's pretty up front about their small scale to start, big plans if it works.  

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I dont mind giving money to a small indie group who wants to make a good game but the outright scamming and lies from the last few groups who are only interested in taking my money and then leaving me hanging with a crappy product that doesnt work has really made me think twice about supporting small developers.  It is like the greedy scammers have seen how profitable an MMO can be so they are all coming over to this industry.  I am not saying this group is like that, just that the last year has a terrible track record for small developers.  I'm looking at you Hammerpoint and StarVault. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256

Are they 12?

Seriously, i don't expect titles like Dr. Survivor or How i learned to stop worrying and love the brains, but when your game is titled URDEAD i instantly think that you are a xbox live douchebag or a kid with "swag" or just a person who tries too hard. At best you cater to them. So no time is given to those kind of people from me, whether reading their interviews or something else (except a small rant on comments lol). And i thought RaiderZ was a bad name...

Anyways bro YOLO!!!

• raysieraysie Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Saturated zombie mmo market ?? Name me one zombie mmo apart from the war z that is released mybe I missed it but I am looking forward to a good one .
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    Hope this game has a cash shop and an early "Founder" preorder for $200 or more.
  • DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246
    I hope people get paid before the founders realize they won't make a profit off this.
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    I never thought I'd say this but gimme some elves please, I'm tired of zombies.
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by raysie
    Saturated zombie mmo market ?? Name me one zombie mmo apart from the war z that is released mybe I missed it but I am looking forward to a good one .

TSW has zombies.